PDA

View Full Version : We've done the Backers & DB's. Time for the verklempt D-line

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
http://mchenrycountyblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Sat-Night-Live-Tall-all-31.png

Once again, like with the linebackers, it's tough to weigh the accomplishments of the great Steel Curtain brethren of the past to the more recent 3-man DL, because the responsibilities are so much different in each scheme. I just tried to look at each man's impact toward his own defense, and did what I could to rank them accordingly. At least the top spot is unquestionable for this one. Tough leaving off Brett Keisel. He'd have to be my top honorable mention. He's beard deserves an honorable mention itself.

1. Joe Greene
2. Ernie Stautner
3. Aaron Smith
4. L.C. Greenwood
5. Casey Hampton
6. Dwight White
7. Ernie Holmes
8. Joel Steed
9. Kimo von Oelhoffen
10. Ray Seals

Discipline of Steel
07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
http://mchenrycountyblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Sat-Night-Live-Tall-all-31.png

Once again, like with the linebackers, it's tough to weigh the accomplishments of the great Steel Curtain brethren of the past to the more recent 3-man DL, because the responsibilities are so much different in each scheme. I just tried to look at each man's impact toward his own defense, and did what I could to rank them accordingly. At least the top spot is unquestionable for this one. Tough leaving off Brett Keisel. He'd have to be my top honorable mention. He's beard deserves an honorable mention itself.

1. Joe Greene
2. Ernie Stautner
3. Aaron Smith
4. L.C. Greenwood
5. Casey Hampton
6. Dwight White
7. Ernie Holmes
8. Joel Steed
9. Kimo von Oelhoffen
10. Ray Seals

What is verklempt? Im too lazy to look it up...

I really wouldnt change anything in this list. Interesting how there are not many on the list outside of the two dynasties.

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Just making fun of the old Mike Myers SNL skit where he (she) gets overly emotional about something, so she gives the audience a topic to discuss while she composes herself. She would get upset and say "Talk amongst yourselves" and would always say "I'll give you a topic" which would usually be something like "The Progressive Era was neither progressive nor an era. Discuss." or "Grape-Nuts contains neither grapes nor nuts. Discuss." Instead of having actual football to discuss, I'm finding myself forced to manufacture topics to generate discussion, like the ol' verklempt Linda Richman.

fordfixer
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Main Entry: verklempt
Part of Speech: adj
Definition: overcome with emotion; clenched; also written ferklempt
Etymology: Yiddish

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/verklempt

flippy
07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
1. Big Daddy
2. Stautner
3. Casey Hampton
4. Mean Joe
6. Joel Steed
7. Holmes
8. LC
9. Dwight
10. Diesel

I seriously considered putting all the 3-4 guys at the top of the list. NT and 3-4 DE are way harder positions to fill. This was the hardest list so far because we've arguably had the best 4-3 and 3-4 Dlines in NFL history. So that's 7 spots right there.

Then you could make the case that Stuatner, Big Daddy, and Steed may have been all time bests at their respective positions. Gene had a short stint in Pittsburgh and a short life, but I figured I'd give him a shout out at #1 cause he was the baddest of them all.

Gene was the first 300lb lineman and he was quick and athletic. He redefined the position. And he was the originator of whacking OLinemen in the earhole. He was one of those guys way ahead of his time and is one of the few old guys who would fit in today's game. He is the mold for Dlinemen. Put him on this team in the 70s and he's probably remembered as the greatest Steeler ever.

papillon
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
1. Joe Greene
2. Ernie Stautner
3. LC Greenwood
4 Casey Hampton
5. Aaron Smith
6. Dwight White
7. Ernie Holmes
8. Joel Steed
9. John Banazsak
10. Ray Seals

Honorable mention: Steve Furness, Keith Willis, Keith Gary, Brenston Buckner, Brett Kiesel, Kimo Von Olhoefen

Pappy

flippy
07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
9. John Banazsak

Gotta love a DLineman with Sak in his name.

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2011, 05:03 PM
9. John Banazsak

except for the small little detail that his name is spelled "Banaszak".

Oviedo
07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
9. John Banazsak

except for the small little detail that his name is spelled "Banaszak".

I think "zak" is Polish for sack or bag :?

flippy
07-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Bana is Icelandic for Slayer.

So he's the sack slayer.

Perhaps the originator of the nut punch. Ouch.

MeetJoeGreene
07-06-2011, 11:24 PM
1. Joe Greene
2. Ernie Stautner
3. Aaron Smith
4. L.C. Greenwood
5. Casey Hampton
6. Dwight White
7. Ernie Holmes
8. Joel Steed
9. Kimo von Oelhoffen
10. Ray Seals
Hard to argue w/ that list. I might swap Casey and LC.

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2011, 11:40 PM

So he's the sack slayer.

So what is the origin of our old pal Harry Nutczak? :wink:

flippy
07-07-2011, 07:29 AM

So he's the sack slayer.

So what is the origin of our old pal Harry Nutczak? :wink:

Legend has it, he was on the receiving end of the first nut punch in history.

Dee Dub
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
9. John Banazsak

What about having CZAK in their name? Like Tomczak? If it rhymes with NUT-SACK then it probably isnt a good thing.

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
9. John Banazsak

What about having CZAK in their name? Like Tomczak? If it rhymes with NUT-SACK then it probably isnt a good thing.

Having "Zsak" or "Czak" in a D-lineman's name? Good. He's the sack-er.

Having "Zsak" or "Czak" in a quarterback's name? Bad. He's the sack-ee.

:wink: