PDA

View Full Version : See You Ike: No Tears Shed When You Leave

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 04:05 PM
See You Ike: Why There Will Be No Tears Shed When the Pittsburgh Steelers Fail to Sign Ike Taylor

AUTHOR: Craig

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/06/5859-IKE-TAYLOR_Steelers_biography-300x225.jpg

From m.browsebiography.com

I guess ‘fail’ is too strong a word of negative connotations towards the Steelers to use when Ike Taylor finally signs with another NFL team this year. I would describe it more as a ‘choice.’ There’s been a strong outcry from many in the media and across the Nation that the Steelers defense is scuuuhhhrewwwd if Taylor discontinues being a part of this team. But if Taylor really wants to stay, he’ll stay won’t he?

With free agency on the horizon now that the lockout appears to be nearing its long and drawn out end, Taylor is beginning to voice his feelings on the matter. In an article on NBC Sports Pro Football Talk Mike Florio reports that Ike is hinting towards his indifference on continuing and potentially finishing his career in Pittsburgh.

I see myself being anywhere I need to be. Wherever you put me, I’m going to make home….I just leave it up to my agent and Pittsburgh.When it comes down to getting serious, I’m sure my agent is going to call me. Other than that, he’ll let me know when the time is right. ~ Ike Taylor

See, its words like those that do not instill any kind of confidence that Face Me will be lining up for the Steelers next season. Taylor is already envisioning himself as what it would be like to play for another team in another city. And even though the Steelers ‘say’ they would love to have Taylor returning, they have a consistent track record with how they deal with free agents – avoid bidding wars.

Taylor’s words are either going to fall on deaf ears at the front office or they are only stacking a case against the Steelers making an offer Taylor would even consider. I don’t believe the FO feels threatened by Taylor’s outward position of ‘I’m going to test the market for my worth.’ His attitude is poor and is not making the FO’s heart swoon during this offseason.

The cornerback said in an interview on Jim Rome is Burning back in May:

“I need that market value. I work so hard. I’ve been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”

Unappreciated? By whom? Underrated? Ike, you may be pretty good, but you don’t instill fear in receivers or offensive coordinators around the league. You are getting paid as ‘pretty darn good.’ Just because you are the best on a team, does not mean you are the best in the league. You got paid $22.5 million over 5 years with a $6.4 million signing bonus – that same season you were benched. Benched. What super kick ass corner gets benched in their career? Sounds like you’ve had your worth over those 5 years. I like Ike – he IS very good and plays hard. And, he cares deeply about winning the small battles on the field as much as the bigger battle to get to the Super Bowl.

Testing the market will probably work out well for him, but mainly because there is such a need at corner this year by many teams.

Let’s look back at a guy who did a hometown discount and it worked well for him – Jerome Bettis. Here is a player that was loved by Steelers Nation and admired by his teammates and coaches. Bettis was a hard worker, a damn good player and well liked.

And, he knew a championship team when he saw one. Bettis realized that the Steelers gave him the best chance to win that elusive Super Bowl before he retired. And so, he took less money.

Ike already has two Super Bowl rings with the team. He has that claim. He’s taken less money before, and now that he’s earned those championships, he wants the paycheck to go along with the bling. Even though the Steelers probably have one of the better chances of making it back over the next several years, he still wants the money instead.

What he doesn’t realize is that he’s made his worth here in Pittsburgh – 8 seasons with the Steelers, numerous AFC championships and two Super Bowl victories. Taylor is admired by his teammates and adored by many in The Nation. In fact, he’s so admired that his free agency has created quite a fuss. What Taylor fails to realize is that he could end his career as a Steeler and be beloved by Steelers Nation forever and always.

Taylor reminds me of someone from back in 2007. This person said at one point:

I’ve done my piece. I’ve done my time. I’ve done everything I can for this organization. I’ve lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I’ve had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I’ve earned the right to be treated fairly.

Who said that??? Alan Faneca. Faneca did not make nice with the FO several times during that offseason. He wanted the money, but didn’t get the offer. So, he signed with the Jets and got his huge contract. He lasted two more years in the NFL. Being cut by the Jets, then signing with the Cardinals. He also missed out on another Steeler Super Bowl ring. When he retired, many said that they wished he kept a better attitude during that offseason and finished his career as a Steeler. Many say good riddance – hmmm, not so admired forever and always…

Things don’t look well for Ike Taylor and his options for returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers. I will be very surprised if he returns. I think the Steelers are emotionally prepared for that. Fans should do the same. No tears. For his sake, I hope that Face Me Ike doesn’t end up like former teammate Faneca. Then again, when you allow your loyalties to hit the free market over being a Pittsburgh Steeler, deep down I hope that he signs with the Raiders…

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/26/se ... ke-taylor/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/26/see-you-ike-why-there-will-be-no-tears-shed-when-the-pittsburgh-steelers-fail-to-sign-ike-taylor/)

Oviedo
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
If Taylor chases the money and leaves so be it, but don't think for a second that we won't have serious issues in our secondary. We have no one on our roster capable of playing at the level he does at CB. Our young players aren't the solution either because they won't be allowed to play. And the wishful thinking for a free agent...forget it. Any FA with decent skills is going to demand at least as much as Taylor.

The result of Taylor leaving will be two, not one, CB of McFadden or Gay's skills starting for us. Hear that sound? It's the QBs around the league licking their lips in anticipation of picking our secondary apart.

feltdizz
06-27-2011, 05:19 PM
QB's licked their lips last year with Ike in our secondary. Maybe we will suffer like we did when Faneca left. We suffered all the way to a SB ring.
Also remember our pass D was torched in the second half of the SB in 2008, torched in the 4th qtr in 2009 and torched by the Pats, Saints and Packers in the last SB... with Ike.

It would be nice if we kept Ike but if he leaves it isn't the end of the world. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how all is lost without him. He will be replaced just like the others before him. I can't blame himn for getting obe last check

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
QB's licked their lips last year with Ike in our secondary. Maybe we will suffer like we did when Faneca left. We suffered all the way to a SB ring.
Also remember our pass D was torched in the second half of the SB in 2008, torched in the 4th qtr in 2009 and torched by the Pats, Saints and Packers in the last SB... with Ike.

It would be nice if we kept Ike but if he leaves it isn't the end of the world. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how all is lost without him. He will be replaced just like the others before him. I can't blame himn for getting obe last check
you make it sound like all the qb's in the league are as good as tom brady, drew brees and aaron rogers.
I don't think Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer, or the other 12 teams qb's we played were licking their lips. smart qb's knew to stay away from ike and pick on mcfadden. just imagine, we may confuse qb's around the league because they won't be able to decide who to pick on, gay or bmac.

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
just imagine, we may confuse qb's around the league because they won't be able to decide who to pick on, gay or bmac.

I'll have to start doing tequila shots during games if those two are our starting CBs this season.

Chadman
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
McFadden is nowhere near as bad as a lot make him out to be.

Scheme is responsible for many of the Steelers pass defense woes. And even with nearly-elite Ike, we still get passed on easily- yes, even by Joe Flacco.

The importance of Ike has been overblown. He's a good to very good player, but far from irreplacable.

And while we all bemoan possibly losing him in FA- there's nothing stopping the Steelers from grabbing a FA CB of their own.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Scheme is responsible for many of the Steelers pass defense woes. And even with nearly-elite Ike, we still get passed on easily- yes, even by Joe Flacco.

The importance of Ike has been overblown. He's a good to very good player, but far from irreplacable.

And while we all bemoan possibly losing him in FA- there's nothing stopping the Steelers from grabbing a FA CB of their own.
Chadmn, I gotta disagree man. When teams wanted to throw the ball they didn't throw it on Ike, they threw it on Bmac.. I'm not saying he's terrible. He's a decent #2, I'd just hate see him get thrust into the #1 role and Gay as the #2. Especially with how often Bmac gets some small injury which ends up being his excuse for why he got beat during the course of a game. Yea we could go sign someone, but if Ike leaves I don't think we will. Which scares me.

pittpete
06-27-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3693/player?r=1

theres our new younger CB :o

phillyesq
06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
First, I think it makes sense for Ike to say that he is ready to move on. After all, this is a business, and if he comes out and says he's willing to take a hometown discount, he's going to hurt his negotiating power, both with the Steelers and with other teams.

Second, while Ike doesn't have huge pick numbers, he's very solid. I think he is easily the best CB in Pittsburgh since Rod Woodson.

Finally, if Ike leaves, there are serious depth issues. Ike leaving will likely mean that Gay gets resigned. Gay and BMac starting leaves Anthony Madison as the 3rd CB, with two rookies and Keenan Lewis, who ended up behind Madison last year, battling it out to replace Madison. Ike leaving would leave us with a putrid group, unless rookies, without the benefit of OTAs and possibly training camp, immediately step up.

Shawn
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Can you imagine a secondary where McFadden is by far your best DB? While I agree with Chadman, McFadden isn't as bad as advertised, he isn't good. He is serviceable. And the talent after McFadden drops off significantly. Those who believe we will be just fine without Ike are deceiving themselves. While we will be competitive, we won't beat the better passing teams, and those are the ones blocking the road to the SB. We needed to get better in our secondary, not worse.

Do I believe we will sign Ike? No. But, I just might shed some tears over it. And I assume the rest of the Steeler Nation will join me after they watch our secondary get shredded game after game.

Shawn
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM
First, I think it makes sense for Ike to say that he is ready to move on. After all, this is a business, and if he comes out and says he's willing to take a hometown discount, he's going to hurt his negotiating power, both with the Steelers and with other teams.

Second, while Ike doesn't have huge pick numbers, he's very solid. I think he is easily the best CB in Pittsburgh since Rod Woodson.

Finally, if Ike leaves, there are serious depth issues. Ike leaving will likely mean that Gay gets resigned. Gay and BMac starting leaves Anthony Madison as the 3rd CB, with two rookies and Keenan Lewis, who ended up behind Madison last year, battling it out to replace Madison. Ike leaving would leave us with a putrid group, unless rookies, without the benefit of OTAs and possibly training camp, immediately step up.

History dictates future behavior. The FAs who mouthed off about wanting to "get paid", "get their respect" etc are almost always shown the door by the Steelers organization. If this came from his agent, it's because he would rather Ike hit the open market.

fordfixer
06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Can you imagine a secondary where McFadden is by far your best DB? While I agree with Chadman, McFadden isn't as bad as advertised, he isn't good. He is serviceable. And the talent after McFadden drops off significantly. Those who believe we will be just fine without Ike are deceiving themselves. While we will be competitive, we won't beat the better passing teams, and those are the ones blocking the road to the SB. We needed to get better in our secondary, not worse.

Do I believe we will sign Ike? No. But, I just might shed some tears over it. And I assume the rest of the Steeler Nation will join me after they watch our secondary get shredded game after game.
You mean the same teams that beat us last year with Ike in our secondary? Don't get me wrong I hope we are able to sign Ike, I just think the drop off in play will be greater with out him

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Its amazing how people expect our players to never get beat or have a bad game. I also think it's ridiculous when only the defense gets blamed for losses. Yea we lost to the packers, but to be honest, the three turnovers were by far the biggest reason we lost that game. BY FAR. and y'all who don't care if Ike leaves, who keep saying "well those passign teams beat us with ike... blah blah blah" think about the players who were getting lit up by those teams. It wasn't Ike. NE didn't throw a bunch of td's on Ike, they threw them on Gay. Aaron Rogers didn't complete td passes against Ike, they were against troy and bmac. I could go on and on.

grotonsteel
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3693/player?r=1

theres our new younger CB :o

I will do back flips if we sign Jonathan Joseph. I think he will be an instant upgrade over Ike Taylor. Plus he is young.

Another CB to look for is Richard marshall from Panthers. I think he has huge upside.

What about Carlos Rogers from redSkins?? He is another Ike clone.

Slapstick
06-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Richard Marshall or Josh Wilson...

Or both...

feltdizz
06-27-2011, 08:46 PM

you make it sound like all the qb's in the league are as good as tom brady, drew brees and aaron rogers.
I don't think Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer, or the other 12 teams qb's we played were licking their lips. smart qb's knew to stay away from ike and pick on mcfadden. just imagine, we may confuse qb's around the league because they won't be able to decide who to pick on, gay or bmac.

hopefully the confusion will be enough to sack the QB... :wink:

Those other QB's completed passes on Ike as well. The fear of losing Ike has turned him into a legend.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
well, considering the last time we had to cb's that sucked we couldn't beat our way out of a paper bag makes me fear losing him.

feltdizz
06-27-2011, 08:52 PM

You mean the same teams that beat us last year with Ike in our secondary? Don't get me wrong I hope we are able to sign Ike, I just think the drop off in play will be greater with out him

:Agree

Ike isn't worth the money he is after.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd like to reserve my judgement on that until after they actually make an offer and they start to negotiate.

MadSteel
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
You know what would be great? If Ike decided to take the money elsewhere and we in turn signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a huge contract. I know Ike fits our system way better, but to just see his face would be priceless.

However, so far all we have is talk. Ike may be back in black.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't want Nnamdi Asomugha. If Ike leaves, I'd rather we dumped Gay and signed carlos rogers and another guy like josh wilson or the dude from cincin****ty.

MadSteel
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM

You mean just like last year....The only time we weren't shredded was when Harrison wasnt being held or Woodley bull rushed some RT.

We will be just fine if Ike leaves. Crezdon Butler is a magician at CB, just wait and see. This kid was amazing his junior year at Clemson and had he declared for the draft after his junior season he would have been a 1st rd pick. He didnt have any stats to speak of his senior season because opposing teams only threw the ball his way 10 times over the course of the whole season! Butler, get used to it.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
we got shredded all last year? I think you were watching old VHS tapes of charred and washington.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM

You mean just like last year....The only time we weren't shredded was when Harrison wasnt being held or Woodley bull rushed some RT.

We will be just fine if Ike leaves. Crezdon Butler is a magician at CB, just wait and see. This kid was amazing his junior year at Clemson and had he declared for the draft after his junior season he would have been a 1st rd pick. He didnt have any stats to speak of his senior season because opposing teams only threw the ball his way 10 times over the course of the whole season! Butler, get used to it.
btw what he did in college is meaningless. BMac didn't allow a touchdown pass as a starter at FSU. look at him now.

MadSteel
06-27-2011, 09:33 PM

btw what he did in college is meaningless. BMac didn't allow a touchdown pass as a starter at FSU. look at him now.

Maybe so, but I watched both in college and Butler is way more athletic then BMac and BMac had a better supporting cast. He also played FS with FSU. I'm telling you, the kid is going to be very good.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying he won't be good. In fact, I was saying all offseason before the draft that we weren't as hard up for corners as everyone was making it out to be mainly because of him. I'm just trying to be realistic.

MadSteel
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I understand, but I am not afraid one bit to let Ike walk if he demands too much money.

papillon
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Chadman, are you saying that McFadden is a better quarterback than D1ck Lebeau is as the defensive coordinator? Not even Ovi believes that.

Pappy

fordfixer
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM

:Agree

Ike isn't worth the money he is after.

I knew someone would agree with me someday :D

NJ-STEELER
06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
whens the last time the FO went out and signed a big money UFA?? hartings 10 years ago?

not really their style to bring in someone like that. they arent going to get in a bidding war for other top CB free agents. i hope im wrong cause if they dont, i think we're throwing away a possible championship season.

dont know how long our window stays open with some of the defensive stars aging

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Early on, Ike was saying how much he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, and would take less money to stay in a LeBeau defense and to remain on Dan Rooney's team, since he considers the old man to be a father figure of sorts. I think this was Ike truly talking, but when his agent saw that making this public would cause his ultimate commission to shrink, I think he stepped in and made him talk tougher to get some leverage back. I still think he'll ultimately choose to stay for a reasonably large but not necessarily blockbuster deal. I'm sure Antwaan Randle El, Larry Foote, Bryant McFadden, and Byron Leftwich have told him that the grass isn't always greener on other teams even if they offer more greenbacks.

feltdizz
06-27-2011, 11:25 PM
"Throwing away a championship season" sounds like something Ike's agent would say. We've been to 3 SB's in 6 years... Its a little hard to convince people that next year is a championship season a year after losing the SB.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
For those of you saying that we don't need Ike because he is no good and that we were shredded with him in the lineup then I have a question for you.

How did teams beat our defense last year? Was it not by putting more receivers on the field? Allowing the QB the option of targeting lesser CBs like Gay and Madison?

If Ike is so bad, why would our opponents not just leave in extra blockers and go with only two receivers? Give their QB and linemen extra help blocking the likes of Harrison and Woodley? Two TEs.....A FB..... Isn't the Steelers pass rush a worry for them? They are all going four and five wides to beat us even though they can easily exploit Ike one on one?

Why would they spread us out and expose their QB if Ike is that beatable?

Chadman
06-28-2011, 01:32 AM

Chadman, are you saying that McFadden is a better quarterback than D1ck Lebeau is as the defensive coordinator? Not even Ovi believes that.

Pappy

I didn't say anything about McFadden being a better Quarterback....

What I did say was that the scheme the Steelers employ leaves the CB too far from the line of scrimmage, exposing the CB against short routes in particular. Play McFadden etc closer to the WR & let them play more physically. after all- we sign/draft BIG CB's- why not let them use their physicality to bump WR's early, instead of playing them 10 yards away where a WR has time to build up speed, forcing the bigger, less 'mobile' CB's like McFadden to try & turn & keep up.

If you want big & physical- play big & physical. If you are going to play 10 yards away from the WR- get agile, quick CB's.

Oviedo
06-28-2011, 08:25 AM

How dare you question the scheme? How dare you suggest that we make adjustments?

I think being upside down on the world has caused too much blood to rush to your head. Just repeat this over and over: Our defense is perfect and needs no adjustment or new ideas.

Slapstick
06-28-2011, 08:46 AM
While I have advocated signing a free agent CB (or two), the fact is that the Steelers have several young CBs...at some point, they need to see if these guys can play...

feltdizz
06-28-2011, 08:51 AM
For those of you saying that we don't need Ike because he is no good and that we were shredded with him in the lineup then I have a question for you.

How did teams beat our defense last year? Was it not by putting more receivers on the field? Allowing the QB the option of targeting lesser CBs like Gay and Madison?

If Ike is so bad, why would our opponents not just leave in extra blockers and go with only two receivers? Give their QB and linemen extra help blocking the likes of Harrison and Woodley? Two TEs.....A FB..... Isn't the Steelers pass rush a worry for them? They are all going four and five wides to beat us even though they can easily exploit Ike one on one?

Why would they spread us out and expose their QB if Ike is that beatable?

Who said Ike sucks? Most people who are OK with Ike leaving think we will have a decline but it won't be enough to justify 8 to 10 mill a year. It's not because Ike sucks... it's business.

Most teams are going 4 wide on us because they can't run on us. It also makes sense to take advantage of the rules that favor a passing attack so expect to see 4 wides from 80% of the NFL because it's harder to defend.

If teams can pass all over us with Ike due to are other DB's why the hell should we pay 8 to 10 for Ike? Spend that money locking up Timmons and Troy and while working these youngsters into the lineup.

feltdizz
06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
While I have advocated signing a free agent CB (or two), the fact is that the Steelers have several young CBs...at some point, they need to see if these guys can play...

I think we are at that point.... Ike wants what we aren't willing to give him.

Market value.

If the market turns on Ike he may resign at a decent price.

aggiebones
06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
This is always difficult for me.

I've liked Ike. Ike was a very good Steeler and teammate. He helped us(Steelers) and we helped him. But when negotiations come, we have to do the unfortunate thing and put a price tag on him. Yes, we give some value to chemistry and team and stuff, but mostly remaining skill. Players get frustrated and ALWAYS feel undervalued. Ownership lets the players grumble and deal with the agent. Usually they get over this if resigned. Or they leave, but it makes the players look bad. Most of the time, they just don't feel appreciated or loved. Its a common emotion. I'll give him a pass since he was a good Steeler til this point, even if he leaves. As long as after he leaves, he doesn't rain down on Pittsburgh with a bunch of new tripe.

As to whether we need him? I'd say I think we do. Its better to find someone to play across from him before replacing him. Replacing him with a mediocre other corner and we are in trouble. How about a tandem or Gay and McFadden? yikes

Oviedo
06-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Replacing him with a mediocre other corner and we are in trouble. How about a tandem or Gay and McFadden? yikes

Exactly my concern because we know we are not going to chabge the scheme from "keep them in front of you." The problem I have is with the way we use Troy near the LOS there may be alot more of them "behind us" not "in front of us."

Ike made other teams focus on one side of the field...not his! Another CB like Bmac opens up the entire field to the opposing play callers and the result will not be good.

pittpete
06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Who said Ike sucks? Most people who are OK with Ike leaving think we will have a decline but it won't be enough to justify 8 to 10 mill a year. It's not because Ike sucks... it's business.

Most teams are going 4 wide on us because they can't run on us. It also makes sense to take advantage of the rules that favor a passing attack so expect to see 4 wides from 80% of the NFL because it's harder to defend.

If teams can pass all over us with Ike due to are other DB's why the hell should we pay 8 to 10 for Ike? Spend that money locking up Timmons and Troy and while working these youngsters into the lineup.

Definitely time to see if the young guys can play.
With all the vets on this team they should be able to help get the noobs in position before the snap.

Oviedo
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Definitely time to see if the young guys can play.
With all the vets on this team they should be able to help get the noobs in position before the snap.

Legend LeBeau is our DC, not Dom Capers! Won't happen until they get their Masters Degree in Defense de LeBeau. That is usually a two year course of study.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Re-signing Ike Taylor Also Carries Some Significant Risk

Posted on June 27, 2011 by adam

It’s been pretty well documented that once free agency begins the Steelers top priority will be to sign cornerback Ike Taylor to a contract extension before somebody else can give him a blank check on the open market, where he will be one of the top players available at the position (John Harris would like you to incorrectly believe he’s better than Nnamdi Asomugha). The cornerback situation around here isn’t exactly a secret, and it’s pretty much agreed that the Steelers could use Taylor (or a comparable player in free agency) in their 2011 lineup given the makeup of the position, which currently consists of rookies, unproven/inconsistent young guys and players that just aren’t starting quality at this point.

Pittsburgh didn’t address the position until the third and fourth round of this year’s draft, selecting Texas cornerback Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen out of the Citadel. They’ll be joining veteran Bryant McFadden, as well as previous draft picks Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler as players under contract for 2011 (remember, William Gay is also a free agent). Needless to say, there’s not exactly a Darrelle Revis in that group, even if I would like to think (or hope) that at least one or two of the young guys can become useful players in the near future. All of this has helped make re-signing Taylor the focal point of the offseason.

We know what talent remains if he leaves, and we know any replacement in free agency is going to be just as expensive, if not more expensive than Taylor. But is there a significant risk in giving him big money when the offseason officially starts?

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the Steelers willingness to let players leave a year too early as opposed to a year too late, comparing it to the Yankees and how they’re on the hook for Derek Jeter’s absurd contract even though he’s pretty much useless as a Major League shortstop at this point. Taylor is going to be 31 years old this season at a position that is dominated by youth. Obviously, there are positions in the NFL that have shorter shelf lives than others. Example: Running backs will burn out faster than almost any other position on the field, while defensive linemen can be productive players well into their 30?s.

I was browsing around the Football Outsiders player pages on Monday and took a lengthy look at Taylor’s, and the one part that stood out to me — and concerned me — was his 2010 similarity score which paired him with a rather infamous part of recent Steelers history: DeWayne Washington’s 2002 season. Also of note: his 2008-10 similarity was Jeff Burris between 2000-02.

Both players, Washington and Burris, began to wash out of the NFL within the next season. In 2003, when Washington was 31 (the same age Taylor will be in 2011), he had lost his starting job to Deshea Townsend, wasn’t a member of the Steelers in 2004 and was out of the NFL by 2005. Burris never played in the NFL past the age of 31.

None of this means Taylor’s production and ability will fall off a cliff next season, or that his career will mirror that of Washington or Burris. They’re just comparisons. Admittedly, somewhat concerning comparisons. Also concerning is what I alluded to earlier — cornerback is a position dominated by youth.

Let’s use 2010 as an example. Across the NFL there were 74 cornerbacks that started at least six games during the regular season, and here’s how they broke down by age:

20: 0
21: 1
22: 5
23: 7
24: 10
25: 8
26: 7
27: 9
28: 7
29: 6
30: 5
31: 3
32: 3
33: 1
34: 1
35: 1

Of the 74 players that started at least six games only nine of them were 31 or older, the group that Taylor will fall into in 2011. The list: Sheldon Brown (31), Quinten Jammer (31), Nate Clements (31), Champ Bailey (32), Andre Goodman (32), Terrance Newman (32), Antoine Winfield (33), Charles Woodson (34), Ronde Barber (35).

Obviously, as Woodson, Bailey and Barber have shown you can be a productive cornerback well into your 30?s. But those guys also appear to be the exception. I’ll also point out that even though they’re still very good players, they’re not quite as good as they were in their primes, and Ike Taylor, in his prime, was never as good as Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey.

I think I’d still like to see Taylor in a Steelers uniform in 2011, but I don’t think it’s as simple as sign Taylor or bust. It’s very reasonable to question how good he’ll be a year or two from now, what sort of contract and guaranteed money he’ll be carrying at that point and whether or not he’ll be worth it.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/ikecorners/

birtikidis
06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Well if Dom Capers had a team in t super bowl every few years i could see your argument. Lebeau does though, so you lost me.

steelz09
06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
If Ike wants to go, the Steelers should let him get his big payday.

He is 31 and the Steelers make very few exceptions on paying players of that age, huge money. Especially considering that one of his best attributes in his speed and lets face it... speed is slowed by age.

MadSteel
06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
If Ike wants to go, the Steelers should let him get his big payday.

He is 31 and the Steelers make very few exceptions on paying players of that age, huge money. Especially considering that one of his best attributes in his speed and lets face it... speed is slowed by age.

Thats probably why Ike wants this big payday, because he knows what the Steelers know.

hawaiiansteel
07-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Betrayed By The Ones We Love: When A Free Agent Signs With A Bitter Rival

by Anthony Defeo on Jul 3, 2011

On Friday, Penguins fans learned that former star forward Jaromir Jagr would not be returning to the team after a decade-long absence. Jagr, instead, committed the sin of signing with Pittsburgh's most bitter hockey rival: The Philadelphia Flyers. Most Pens fans that I know were ready to welcome Jagr back even though his relationship with the team was strained for many years. When it was announced that Jagr would instead be playing over in Philadelphia, the general sentiment was, "Once a jerk, always a jerk! Good riddance to bad rubbish!"

Soon after, however, Pens fans received more bad news: Max Talbot, one of the most popular and charismatic members of Pittsburgh's recent playoff and Stanley Cup teams, also signed with the Philadelphia Flyers.

The reactions to both signings were pretty potent but I think Talbot's departure to Philly was a little tougher to swallow.

Most fans couldn't understand how a player that accomplished so much with the Penguins' organization could even think about signing with the Flyers.

Of course, this is nothing new in sports. It's been happening for as long as free agency has been around. I remember back in the 90's when Raiders' legend Marcus Allen left to sign with their most hated rivals, the Kansas City Chiefs. Back then, I thought, "Wow, that's incredible! How could he do that?" But of course, knowing the bad relationship that had developed between Allen and Raiders' owner Al Davis, it was probably an intentional slap in the face to Davis and the entire organization.

A more recent example in pro sports was Johnny Damon, one of the heroes of Boston's 2004 World Series victory, leaving the Red Sox to sign with the rival New York Yankees after saying he would never, ever sign with New York no matter how much money they offered.

In most cases, a high-profile free agent has several options so why go play for a rival?

I know it's a business, but I think we, as fans, like to believe that the rivalries are just as important to the players as they are to us. When we see our favorite guys out there day-after-day, week-after-week, and year-after-year playing in absolute wars against a hated opponent, we want to believe that the last thing they'd ever want to do is play on the same team as the "bad guys".

For instance, one of the things that Talbot was most famous for during his time in Pittsburgh was his fight in a playoff game at Philadelphia and his subsequent "shhhhhhhhhhhh!" to the Flyers fans as he left the ice. That fight was seen as a momentum-shifter in the game as the Penguins came back and eliminated Philadelphia on the way to eventually capturing the 2009 Stanley Cup.

"Shhhhhhh!" t-shirts were made; Talbot even issued another celebratory "Shhhhhhhh!" to Penguins' fans during the team's victory parade. Now he's going to be playing for the Flyers? Ouch!

Talbot was far from a great player with the Penguins but he was the hero of game 7 of that Stanley Cup win over the Red Wings with his two clutch goals.

Antwaan Randle El wasn't a great player when he played for the Steelers the first time around, but, like Talbot, he was one of the most popular players with the fans and a Super Bowl XL hero after his famous touchdown pass to Hines Ward that sealed the victory. Imagine if Randle El would have signed with the Patriots instead of the Redskins.

I sure wouldn't have liked it very much.

Someone mentioned that Talbot going to the Flyers is like Woodson winding up in Baltimore in the late 90's after he left Pittsburgh. I think that's a bit of a stretch and a little revisionist history. In the years that Woodson was with Baltimore, the Jaguars and Titans were regarded as the Steelers most-hated divisional rivals in the then AFC Central. I don't think Steelers fans started looking at the Ravens as "Enemy Number One" until after Woodson had already left Baltimore.

Ike Taylor is up for free agency once this lockout ever ends. If he cannot come to an agreement with the Steelers and instead decides to sign elsewhere, is there a team that you would absolutely not want him to sign with and if he did, would you ever be able to forgive him?

Has there ever been a Steeler that has signed with another team that you simply could not stomach?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... h-a-bitter (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/7/3/2257422/betrayed-by-the-ones-we-love-when-a-free-agent-signs-with-a-bitter)

BradshawsHairdresser
07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
It all comes down to money. . .and performance expected for money invested. Which tells me that Ike will most likely not be back with the Steelers.

The Steelers outsmarted themselves on this one by failing to negotiate a year ago. They could have gotten a reasonable deal at that time.

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
It all comes down to money. . .and performance expected for money invested. Which tells me that Ike will most likely not be back with the Steelers.

The Steelers outsmarted themselves on this one by failing to negotiate a year ago. They could have gotten a reasonable deal at that time.

They likely would have done so, if they had know what the parameters of the new CBA would be. How can you determine where someone would fit into a future salary cap that has not been determined yet?

feltdizz
07-05-2011, 10:34 AM

I think they weighed both scenarios and decided not to resign him a year ago....

sentinel33
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Geez

couple months ago I thought there was no way we wouldnt sign him.
now he's pretty much out the door.

Hope he finds what he's lookin for. always appreciated Ike. dude worked his way up from 4th round pick to big payday. he deserves it. just to bad that the steelers wont be able to offer him the type of contract he's lookin for.

I also think the steelers are, again, playin it well.

Ike is great here in pittsburgh because he is surrounded by playmakers. he will be asked to do more elsewhere. should be interesting.

Hope C. Lake is as good on the sideline as he was on the field.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Geez

couple months ago I thought there was no way we wouldnt sign him.
now he's pretty much out the door.

Hope he finds what he's lookin for. always appreciated Ike. dude worked his way up from 4th round pick to big payday. he deserves it. just to bad that the steelers wont be able to offer him the type of contract he's lookin for.

I also think the steelers are, again, playin it well.

Ike is great here in pittsburgh because he is surrounded by playmakers. he will be asked to do more elsewhere. should be interesting.

Hope C. Lake is as good on the sideline as he was on the field.

Carnell might be the best DB coach in the world, but you can only do so much with mediocre talent. The best chef in the world can't make filet mignon out of tuna fish.

Will the Steelers survive losing Ike? Sure, but I think they're going to have to make a major adjustment to the way they play this season. Gonna have to crank up the offense and put more points on the board, because they're likely going to give up a lot more.

Long term, this could be turned into a positive IF Steelers can learn how to maximize offense's capabilities and IF some of the young CB's can develop.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM

I think they weighed both scenarios and decided not to resign him a year ago....

I think they thought either Keenan Lewis would be ready to step up by now and/or that they would be able to get Ike on the cheap this offseason. They found out they were wrong on both counts.

Look, they've made more good decisions than bad in recent years, so I'm not going to rag on them too much....but I have to wonder about spending all that money last offseason to re-sign backups like Larry Foote and Antwaan Randle-El, while at the same time choosing not to negotiate with their #1 CB. Major boner, IMO.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM

They likely would have done so, if they had know what the parameters of the new CBA would be. How can you determine where someone would fit into a future salary cap that has not been determined yet?

Didn't stop them from signing other players to long-term contracts last offseason.

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Didn't stop them from signing other players to long-term contracts last offseason.

What players? In a cap free environment, they signed good locker room guys but backup types like Antwaan Randle El, Larry Foote, Byron Leftwich, and Bryant McFadden. Once the cap was reinstated, they could easily dump guys like this if they have outlived their usefulness (no huge bonuses that could come back to bite us in the @$$).

They did not sign anyone to big money cornerstone contracts that would require eight-figure signing bonuses like LaMarr Woodley or Ike Taylor, because they knew they would need other guys who would want eight-figure signing bonuses shortly thereafter, such as Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, and Mike Wallace. You need to know what your overall budget looks like before you can start splurging on big-ticket items.

steelernation77
07-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Woah seriously? Ike has been a good corner for several years and an integral part of our D. Sometimes this board pains me.

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Woah seriously? Ike has been a good corner for several years and an integral part of our D. Sometimes this board pains me.

Signing Taylor looms as Steelers' top priority

Wednesday, July 06, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/20110706steelers_330.jpg

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor is an unrestricted free agent.

When the Steelers did not sign Ike Taylor to a new contract before last season it left open the possibility that their starting cornerbacks for 2011 could be Bryant McFadden and William Gay.

Taylor will be the Steelers' top priority in free agency when the lockout ends, but that does not mean they will be able to come to terms with the best cornerback on their roster.

Taylor, a nine-year veteran, is an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any team once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. He is the Steelers only starter from last season who is an unrestricted free agent.

Willie Colon, the starter at right tackle in 2009, is likely to be an unrestricted free agent once the lockout ends but he missed last season with an Achilles injury.

Taylor, a starter since 2005, is generally regarded as one of the top four free-agent cornerbacks set to hit the open market. Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha is the consensus top cornerback with Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals Jonathan Joseph and the New York Jets Antonio Cromartie in the next tier.

The NFL's usual free-agency period, which happens in March, did not take place this season because of the lockout. As a result, there likely will be a shortened period for signing free agents.

A target date for the lockout to be settled is July 15, which would give free agents about one week to sign before teams go to camp. The Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams are scheduled to start training camp July 23. They are the first NFL teams to open camp this year because they are playing in the Aug. 7 Hall of Fame game.

Taylor's agent, Joel Segal, would not comment on whether he spoke with the Steelers about a new contract before the lockout began, but he expects a quick resolution once the shortened free-agency period begins.

"The free-agent period will be fast," Segal said Tuesday. "Teams are going to be prepared. Deals will be done at a rapid rate."

Taylor, who previously stated his desire to retire as a Steeler, completed the final year of a five-year, $22.5 million contract that he signed in 2006. Segal also would not comment on where the bidding for Taylor's services might start, but he said Taylor is "one in a handful of top cornerbacks" in free agency.

Here is how Taylor stacks up against Asomugha, Joseph and Cromartie.

• Taylor is the best of the bunch in run support with 481 career tackles. He has 11 career interceptions but never has been selected to the Pro Bowl.

• Asomugha is a four-time Pro Bowl selection, has 11 career interceptions and 310 tackles. He entered the league the same year as Taylor, 2003.

• Joseph, who entered the league in '06, has 14 career interceptions and 272 tackles, but has missed 12 games over the past three seasons with injuries.

• Cromartie, who also entered the league in '06, has 18 career interceptions and 207 tackles. He made the Pro Bowl in '07.

If the Steelers can't sign Taylor to a new contract, it is unlikely they would sign another player from the first tier of free-agent corners, assuming they command comparable dollar figures, because of the comfort level between the Steelers and Taylor and Taylor's knowledge of the defense.

If Taylor signs elsewhere, the Steelers could be interested in the next tier of free-agent cornerbacks because the other corners on the roster with experience besides McFadden and Gay are Crezdon Butler and Kennan Lewis.

The second-tier free-agent group includes Drayton Florence, Chris Carr and Carlos Rogers. Florence is a nine-year veteran who has played for San Diego, Jacksonville and Buffalo. Carr is a seven-year veteran of the Raiders, Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens. Rogers, the No. 9 overall pick in '05, spent his first six seasons with the Washington Redskins.

The Steelers drafted two corners in April -- Curtis Brown of Texas in the third round and Cortez Allen of the Citadel in the fourth.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11187/11 ... z1RIJP2vYF (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11187/1158422-66-0.stm#ixzz1RIJP2vYF)

D Rock
07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Drayton Florence would be serviceable for a year or two, and probably fairly cheap....seeing as how he has become a journeyman now.

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette On The Fan

July 6, 2011

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/ed-bouchettte1.jpg?w=300

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – 93.7 The Fan’s Steelers’ Insider Ed Bouchette joined The Fan Morning Show Wednesday during his vacation to guest host and talk about the Steelers.

Bouchette thinks free agent cornerback Ike Taylor will end up staying with the Steelers.

“But I’m not gonna say 100 percent,” Bouchette said about the Steelers’ 2003 draft pick. “Ike Taylor is obviously their best cornerback, but he’s become Mel Blount over the past two months. I don’t put him in that category. They don’t wanna lose him, but it’s not like they are gonna lose a big piece of the puzzle, I don’t think.”

Steelers tackle Willie Colon is expected to be an unrestricted free agent, and the Steelers could be without him and Taylor.

Colon ruptured his Achilles tendon last June and because of that, Bouchette doesn’t know what teams will be interested in him. But Bouchette believes Colon won’t be a Steeler anymore.

“He wants to stay, really wants to stay,” Bouchette said about Colon. “However, he’s coming off an Achilles injury, and is there someone out there that is going to give him some big bucks? I don’t know think so.”

As for the NFL Lockout, Bouchette said if there is a deal made this week then training camps can start on time.

“If they don’t, it’s gonna be a little iffy,” he said.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/ ... n-the-fan/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/06/steelers-insider-ed-bouchette-on-the-fan/)

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
What is "I don’t know think so" supposed to mean?

LordVile
07-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Sweat pours off of Ike Taylor, looking like baby oil as it glistens in the steamy late-morning sun and flows over the tattoo on his chest that says "New Orleans."

It is another day of offseason training for the Steelers cornerback, another day of weight training, sprints and agility drills at the Tom Shaw Performance Camp at the Walt Disney Resort's Wide World of Sports, a 220-acre complex which Taylor considers his home away from home when he isn't playing football.

He spends so much time here during the offseason that he recently moved into a new house he had built not far from the resort. At different times since the season ended with the Steelers' loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XVX, Taylor has shared his home with three of his teammates, linebacker James Farrior, cornerback Bryant McFadden and nickel back William Gay. They are among the approximately 25 National Football League players who train at Shaw's camp.

The conditioning can be so intense that Steelers training camp -- whenever it starts -- might seem like a breeze.

"One thing's for sure," Taylor said, shortly after concluding his day by running 10 40-yard sprints in bare feet. "You don't have to worry about me."

Taylor was referring to his physical conditioning, which is among the best on the Steelers. He is their fastest cornerback and second-fastest player, behind wide receiver Mike Wallace. And at 6-feet-2, 195 pounds, he is their biggest corner and often is asked to shadow some of the league's larger receivers.

But it is not Taylor's conditioning that has many Steelers fans concerned. It is where Taylor, 31, will be playing once the owners and players agree to a new collective bargaining agreement and the 2011 NFL calendar officially begins.

Right now, Taylor is a man without a team. His contract with the Steelers expired after the season and, because of the league's lockout, he is not allowed to negotiate or be signed as an unrestricted free agent by another NFL other team until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that the Steelers intend to re-sign Taylor, even though they drafted cornerbacks with two of their first four picks in April's NFL draft -- Curtis Brown of Texas on the third round and Cortez Allen of the Citadel in the fourth. They do not have anyone behind Taylor who is ready to be a starter in Dick LeBeau's defense.

"Man, I don't know," Taylor said. "I feel like they want [to re-sign] me, but time will tell. We'll see. I've been there eight years, longer than any other city I've stayed in since I was little. That's like home.

"You can see how it goes, how they treat Hines [Ward] with 'Dancing With The Stars'. The people in Pittsburgh want to have a parade for that man. Who does that? People in Pittsburgh, that's who. That's how loyal they are and how they support their players.

"I got a nice relationship with the whole organization, but it's a business and I try to look at it like a business because they'll definitely make their decisions on me as a business. So I have to make my decision as a business."

During a 20-minute conversation, Taylor never said if he wanted to test the market and entertain offers from other NFL teams. But he did say it doesn't bother him that he and other unrestricted free agents are the ones hurt most by the lockout because they might not get the big contract offers they might have entertained had free agency been conducted as usual, before the draft.

The Detroit Lions could be among the teams interested in Taylor because they need cornerbacks behind their youthful defensive line. But, teams with dire needs at cornerback likely addressed them in the draft, lessening the demand at the position that would drive up contract offers.

"Nothing hurts me," Taylor said. "I ask God for wisdom and patience every day so, no, it don't hurt me. It's past March, it's past April. If guys aren't signed by now, we're not doing anything but working out anyway.

"I can't worry abut it. Life's too short to be worrying. They just got to work it out. Something will happen. It might not happen the way you want it to happen, but something will happen. Them getting a deal done is my least worry. I know they'll get it done. When they're going to get it done, I don't know. But will they? Yeah.

"At least be honest with the fans. You can lie to us, but be honest with the fans. They're the ones who spend their money to support us and the economy. Stop b.s.-ing and get the deal done."

Meantime, Taylor continues to train, continues to run, in the broiling Florida sun. He will stay here until he hears otherwise, until it is time to report for training camp or some sort of pre-camp training activity.

But for which team?

"I don't know," Taylor said. "I told you, I can't worry about stuff. I got to live life one way or another. I'm a fair guy. I figure if you treat people right, treat them with respect, regardless if it's friends, family or enemies, something good will come back to you."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11191/11 ... z1Rml3Rfp4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11191/1159455-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1Rml3Rfp4)

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't know what's worse...that Dulac totally botched the Super Bowl number (XVX?), or that he started out that article by describing Ike Taylor as if he were a character in a Harlequin romance novel (Sweat pours off of Ike Taylor, looking like baby oil as it glistens in the steamy late-morning sun... :shock: ).

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Options Instead of Signing Steelers Ike Taylor

JUL 14th 2011

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/07/FreelancerMarketplace-1467.jpg

While the debate still rages on about whether the Steelers should sink their money into cornerback, Ike Taylor, there are two options that the Steelers should entertain. Taylor will come at a high price and there are other players up for free agency that the Steelers need to nab up. But are there really other options that come as a priority other than signing Face Me Ike?

I say yes and here are two, in no particular order.

1) Sign a third down back. Mewelde Moore has been with the Steelers since the 2008 season. His first season was rather productive because he started four of the sixteen games. But the past two seasons, he’s only garnered 575 yards and two TD’s after touching the ball 115 times. His receptions are by far a better stat, but one thing that is a large disadvantage for him as a third down back is his size. Weighing in at only 209 lbs. Moore struggles to break tackles and run up the middle or just off the edge. I would even argue that his receiving yards are only as high as they are because Ben usually hits him with a short pass on 3rd and long giving Moore with a bit of room to run – but not far. The Steelers could use that little extra punch on 3rd down by getting a back who has good hands but also enough beef to run up the middle on a 3rd and 4. It gives the Steelers a few more options at 3rd down and can keep the defense guessing so long as Ben is not forced to stand in shotgun every third down.

Now freshly drafted Baron Batch may or may not be that option the Steelers need. He’s younger than Moore, but according to his combine numbers, weighs roughly the same as Moore. The Steelers could take a chance, let Moore go and go for broke with Batch as the third down back. But, I think it would better for them to take a look for a back on the market who has better size and can give the Steelers that 3rd down run up the middle option.

2) Probably the bigger option to go for would be to sign a back up safety for Troy Polamalu. We’ve seen from my 2010 player review of Troy that the Steelers struggle when Polamalu is not on the field. The past two seasons, Polamalu experienced injuries that had him sidelined for 2 games or more. The Steelers record without Polamalu in the lineup was a mere 6-7. Polamalu on the field resulted in a record of 16-4. Will Allen is currently Troy’s backup but has not been very effective – especially in the ‘playmaker’ category. He came from Tampa this past season where he only started two games in 2009 and played in 8. His numbers are on the weaker side, and he’s only had one interception in over 69 games (5 seasons). The Steelers should really consider going after a mid-level safety to fill in for Troy if he is ever hurt (which has happened quite a bit lately). Sure, it might be a bit of money for a backup, but if that player could make a difference in a few games, that 6-7 record sans Troy could turn into a 9-4 record.

As I’ve been stating, we’re going to lose Ike. The Steelers just won’t have (or want to put up) the dough that Taylor will be seeking in a couple of weeks (I hope). Take those savings, sign the key free agents and go seek some more depth in these positions.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/14/op ... ke-taylor/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/14/options-instead-of-signing-steelers-ike-taylor/)

BradshawsHairdresser
07-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Options Instead of Signing Steelers Ike Taylor

JUL 14th 2011

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/07/FreelancerMarketplace-1467.jpg

While the debate still rages on about whether the Steelers should sink their money into cornerback, Ike Taylor, there are two options that the Steelers should entertain. Taylor will come at a high price and there are other players up for free agency that the Steelers need to nab up. But are there really other options that come as a priority other than signing Face Me Ike?

I say yes and here are two, in no particular order.

1) Sign a third down back. Mewelde Moore has been with the Steelers since the 2008 season. His first season was rather productive because he started four of the sixteen games. But the past two seasons, he’s only garnered 575 yards and two TD’s after touching the ball 115 times. His receptions are by far a better stat, but one thing that is a large disadvantage for him as a third down back is his size. Weighing in at only 209 lbs. Moore struggles to break tackles and run up the middle or just off the edge. I would even argue that his receiving yards are only as high as they are because Ben usually hits him with a short pass on 3rd and long giving Moore with a bit of room to run – but not far. The Steelers could use that little extra punch on 3rd down by getting a back who has good hands but also enough beef to run up the middle on a 3rd and 4. It gives the Steelers a few more options at 3rd down and can keep the defense guessing so long as Ben is not forced to stand in shotgun every third down.

Now freshly drafted Baron Batch may or may not be that option the Steelers need. He’s younger than Moore, but according to his combine numbers, weighs roughly the same as Moore. The Steelers could take a chance, let Moore go and go for broke with Batch as the third down back. But, I think it would better for them to take a look for a back on the market who has better size and can give the Steelers that 3rd down run up the middle option.

2) Probably the bigger option to go for would be to sign a back up safety for Troy Polamalu. We’ve seen from my 2010 player review of Troy that the Steelers struggle when Polamalu is not on the field. The past two seasons, Polamalu experienced injuries that had him sidelined for 2 games or more. The Steelers record without Polamalu in the lineup was a mere 6-7. Polamalu on the field resulted in a record of 16-4. Will Allen is currently Troy’s backup but has not been very effective – especially in the ‘playmaker’ category. He came from Tampa this past season where he only started two games in 2009 and played in 8. His numbers are on the weaker side, and he’s only had one interception in over 69 games (5 seasons). The Steelers should really consider going after a mid-level safety to fill in for Troy if he is ever hurt (which has happened quite a bit lately). Sure, it might be a bit of money for a backup, but if that player could make a difference in a few games, that 6-7 record sans Troy could turn into a 9-4 record.

As I’ve been stating, we’re going to lose Ike. The Steelers just won’t have (or want to put up) the dough that Taylor will be seeking in a couple of weeks (I hope). Take those savings, sign the key free agents and go seek some more depth in these positions.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/14/op ... ke-taylor/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/14/options-instead-of-signing-steelers-ike-taylor/)

The Steelers already have a third-down back who can run up the middle--Isaac Redman.
Between Redman and Batch, we have the third-down needs covered. Why spend a lot of money to duplicate what you've already got?

As far as spending big $$$ to get a "backup for Troy," I think it makes far more sense to spend the big $$$ to get a starting-caliber CB, should we lose Ike. Even if Troy is healthy for 16 games, if we're starting the likes of McFadden and Gay at CB, we might well end up with that 6-7 record the author was talking about.

hawaiiansteel
07-18-2011, 02:08 AM
If Ike Taylor's Out, Steelers Younger Players Have Opportunity to Prove Their Worth

Sunday, July 17, 2011

BehindTheSteelCurtain.com
By Tom House

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zhMxvwJCV1U/TiL5_tefvvI/AAAAAAAABcc/kF3LEywdM44/s320/610x__2_.jpeg

Even though Ike Taylor is atop the Pittsburgh Steelers' free agent priority list, as each week passes more and more teams are reportedly showing interest in the veteran cornerback.

Such abundant interest in the Steelers' 31-year-old cornerback only increases his price tag, although Pittsburgh wants Taylor back, they are also not an organization willing to overpay for veterans.

With such an emphasis on passing today, cornerbacks come at a high price, which means the Steelers will have to pay a premium if they want any starting-caliber cornerback. Yet, Pittsburgh has shown no signs of wanting to put out the extra cash for Taylor—and he has indicated he will not take any hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh.

"I need the market value. I work so hard," said Taylor in a recent appearance on Jim Rome is Burning. "I've been through so much, I feel so unappreciated; feel so underrated at my position. I feel like it's my time to get my worth, in whatever city that's in."

It seems the Steelers will not be making a big splash at cornerback—for Taylor or anyone else—which leaves them with the option of either a mid-tiered free-agent or allowing their younger players to compete for the starting job if they can't re-sign Taylor.

In the pool of free agents, the Steelers could find a possible replacement in Carlos Rogers or Jonathan Joseph.

To go with Rogers seems foolish being that he is only one year younger than Taylor and they would be signing a player unfamiliar with the system for a similar price.

Another option could be Joseph who may be looking for an exit out from the Cincinnati Bengals. Only four years younger than Taylor, he would be a better value but other teams are sniffing around to cut a deal with Joseph and his price tag is bound to increase making for an unpalatable deal for the Steelers to make.

This leaves Pittsburgh with their young crew of players in Kennan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Crezdon Butler, and Cortez Allen.

Lewis, a third-round selection in the 2009 draft, has shown very little prospect during his limited time on the field and is on the verge of losing a spot on the roster if he struggles in camp. Brown, a 2011 third-rounder, has potential but as a rookie he has not had the opportunity to work with the team and coaches which leaves his chances to even start or play as being very slim too. Similarly, Allen is still considered to be developing and seems to be a few years away for making any major impact.

This leaves the Steelers with Butler who is described as having a major physical presence on the field (6'1" and 191 pounds) making his physical tools a great fit. Butler impressed many, at times during last preseason, and with a year notched under his belt, he would be more than comfortable with D!ck LeBeau's defensive scheme.

Although the secondary has been Pittsburgh's Achilles heel for years, it has never devastated the defense. The Steelers defense has never been about coverage. It's about pressure and tackling. Pittsburgh doesn't need to overpay at the cornerback position and should work to develop the current talent they have in their younger players.

With or without Taylor, Pittsburgh will look to see major improvements within their young cornerback group—giving them the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.co ... unger.html (http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/07/if-ike-taylors-out-steelers-younger.html)