PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Scariest Steelers of All Time

flippy
06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
RB's got my all time Steelers juices flowing this week and here's one I haven't seen discussed before. Who are your top 10 biggest intimidators in Black and Gold of all time?

Which players put the most fear of God into their opponents?

1. Hines Ward
2. James Harrison
3. Greg Lloyd
4. Mean Joe
5. Ernie Holmes
6. Jack Lambert
7. Mel Blount
8. Donnie Shell
9. Lawerence Timmons
10. Bussie

This one was especially hard for me. I was trying to think about who's scares other players the most and Ward's at the top of that list easily imho, cause he's hitting guys that aren't used to getting hit.

Then I could take it to the other side of the equation and think that having to tackle Jerome is probably the last thing I'd want to have to do. So does that belong at the top of the list.

Then there's Lambert, Harrison, and Mean Joe that are probably the trio of really nasty players that belong in the top 3.

But what about Holmes or Greg Lloyd who were flat out crazy? I'd probably be terrified to go up against either of those guys.

Or should it be the guys I'd never want to have a collision with? Timmons might belong at the very top of that list with Kendrell Bell becasue of their size/speed ratio. Donnie Shell, Ryan Clark, James Farrior are other guys that come to mind as guys I wouldn't want to run into cause they hit so hard. Or Levon Kirkland either.

Then there's Mel Blount who's game was attacking his opponent. You could make a case for him at #1.

Heck I can make a case for another 20 guys easily belonging in the top 10. What about Eric Greene? That guy's butt was bigger than most men and he ran like a deer. He's probably harder to tackle than Bussie, but I gave Bussie the edge cause he's toting the rock 25 times a game and you'd have to just expect a beating.

And heck, maybe Roethlisberger belongs at the top of the list. How in the heck can you even try to bring that guy down? Of all the Steelers, Ben reminds me of Rocky - he takes an absolute beating but almost nothing stops the guy. So is he scary cause he's demoarlizing to defend?

Or what about Webby or Dirt? This list is nearly impossible, and I expect everyone's list to be totally different.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Good list, flip!

Here's mine:

1. James Harrison
2. Jack Lambert
3. Greg Lloyd
4. Joe Greene
5. Ernie Holmes
6. Ernie Stautner
7. Mel Blount
8. Jerome Bettis
9. Hines Ward
10. Anthony Smith (only when it comes to potentially maiming some of our own players during non-contact OTA practices).

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Jack Lambert
Mean Joe Greene
Mel Blount
James Harrison
Greg Lloyd
Donnie Shell
Troy Polamalu
Ernie Holmes
Hines Ward
Jerome Bettis

Ben210
06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
1. Jack Lambert
2. Mean Joe
3. James Harrison
4. Greg Lloyd
5. Ernie Holmes
6. Kevin Greene
7. Levon Kirkland
8. Joey Porter
9. LC Greenwood
10. James Farrior/Jason Gildon/Jack Ham
HM. Earl Holmes

Ben210
06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
10. Anthony Smith (only when it comes to potentially maiming some of our own players during non-contact OTA practices).

He crossed my mind.

ikestops85
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't know if I could limit my list to just 10 or put them into a specific order. I do know that my #1 guy is Joe Greene. There is a reason he was nicknamed "Mean Joe". The guy was just plain nasty on the field. He would kick, punch and rumor has it also bite. Add to that the fact that he had outstanding ability and you've got a guy that nobody wanted to face. He's my number 1 by a wide margin.

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Jack Lambert
Mean Joe
Harrison- even fans are afraid of him. have you seen anyone run across the field during a game lately?
Lloyd
Mel
Hines
Porter
Stautner
ernie holmes
Jeff Reed hahahaha

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Jack Lambert
Mean Joe
Harrison- even fans are afraid of him. have you seen anyone run across the field during a game lately?
Lloyd
Mel
Hines
Porter
Stautner
ernie holmes
Jeff Reed hahahaha

bathroom dispensers in the Greater Pittsburgh Area are deathly afraid of Jeff Reed... :)

papillon
06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Greg Lloyd
Jack Lambert
James Harrison
Mel Blount (he punished receivers for an entire game, win or lose)
Joe Greene
Hines Ward
Ernie Holmes
Ernie Stautner (info from my dad)
Jason Gildon
Jerome Bettis (You have to give the man his due, players didn't want to have to tackle him)

Pappy

DukieBoy
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Roy Gerela ...

cuz if you mess with him,
Jack Lambert will kick your ass !!!

Just ask Cliff Harris.

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Roy Gerela ...

cuz if you mess with him,
Jack Lambert will kick your bad word !!!

Just ask Cliff Harris.

a classic Super Bowl moment... :tt2

http://youtu.be/4swpTYFzo_8

http://uspresswire.com/image/thumb/250-250/2156912.jpg

Discipline of Steel
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Dare i say that was a defining moment in my life?

Anyway, i just recently found out, through this board, that the referee kicked Lambert out of the game. Lambert responded, you cant do that its the Super Bowl! So the ref said OK and let him stay in the game. Is that intimidation or what!?! Lambert #1

DukieBoy
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Time for some Jack Lambert video.

See the Gerela incident about 2:50 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJEjJn29-A

DukieBoy
06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
And ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Kof5Gnr_c&NR=1

flippy
06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Anyway, i just recently found out, through this board, that the referee kicked Lambert out of the game. Lambert responded, you cant do that its the Super Bowl! So the ref said OK and let him stay in the game. Is that intimidation or what!?! Lambert #1

This is the first time I've heard this story. Where the heck have I been all my life?

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
1). Mean Joe Green - he wasn't always the coke commercial Joe Green, he defined what we now call Steeler Football!
2). Ernie Holmes
3). James Harrison
4). Jack Lambert
5). Mel Blount
6). Dwight "Mad Dog" White
7). Greg Lloyd
8). Mike Webster & Dirt Dawson
9). Casey Hampton
10). Hines Ward

fordfixer
06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
“Mean Joe” Greene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene ... ootball%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_%28American_football%29)

Charles Edward Greene, known as “Mean Joe” Greene,
Pro football career

In 1969, he was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers with the fourth pick of the NFL draft and spent his entire career with them until his retirement in 1981. When Greene was drafted, a newspaper headline asked, Who's Joe Greene? The question was quickly answered as Greene became so good that teams double-teamed, and even triple-teamed, him throughout his entire career.

After he was drafted, Greene quickly established himself as a dominant defensive player. He was strong, quick and intense. He was the NFL's Rookie of the Year in 1969, even though he played on a Steelers team that went 1-13 in Chuck Noll's first year as its head coach. The Steelers quickly improved over the next few seasons. Greene later admitted that he was upset with being drafted by the Steelers due to their long history of losing. He often showed his displeasure on the field, including an incident during a game with the Chicago Bears in which he spat in the face of Dick Butkus and challenged Butkus, long considered the NFL's meanest player, to a fight.

In his early years with the Steelers, Greene was at times uncontrollable, and often let his temper get the best of him. At one time, during a 1975 game against the rival Cleveland Browns at Cleveland Municipal Stadium in which the Steelers won 42-6, Greene repeatedly kicked Browns lineman Bob McKay in the groin while McKay was lying on the ground.[6] Another incident had Greene snap the ball away from the center while the opposing team was lining up for a play. He had no tolerance for losing, and the team veterans quickly took notice. His intense desire to win rallied the veterans around him, and with great drafts as well as superb coaching, the Steelers franchise soon began to undergo a dramatic makeover. Joe Greene was credited as the cornerstone of the great Steelers dynasty and the most important player in team history.

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
This is the first time I've heard this story. Where the heck have I been all my life?

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Strange/under-a-rock.jpg

NJ-STEELER
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
I'd find a watt squeeze beltin delton hall in my list

NastY SOB

flippy
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Belton Delton was the originally Anthony Smith. He drew more knucklehead penalties than any Steeler I can remember.

I always felt like he was out there trying to upstage Greg Lloyd.

flippy
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I should also add, I'd rather get hit by Belton Delton or Anthony Smith than Ryan Clark. Ryan always gives me the impression, he'd give his life to make a big hit. He probably deserves some honorable mention for his kill shots, but unlike many of these others, Ryan seems like a genuinely nice guy, so he's a little less scary even though he hits like a freight train.