PDA

View Full Version : Still Verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. Best Steeler DB's.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
http://oybay.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

Last week, Linda Richman got the board talking about the top 10 Steeler linebackers of all time.

This week, we continue, by discussing our top 10 Steeler defensive backs of all time.

Last time, we had to mix-and-match inside and outside backers, players from the 3-4 vs. the 4-3. This time, you have to figure out where to rank certain corners and safeties from different eras with one another. Rod Woodson vs. Mel Blount at the top is so close, so tough...my tiebreaker is the fact that the NFL needed to change its rules because of Mel. Carnell Lake vs. Donnie Shell...another difficult choice...I went Lake on basis of his ability to move to CB when needed and flourish there as well. Even when we got to the bottom of the list, I wanted to include Deshea Townsend for all that he has done for us over the years, but it's hard to say that he was a better corner than Judge Dwayne Woodruff, since Deshea spent most of his career as a nickel back rather than a starter.

Here are my picks. Have at it.

1. Mel Blount
2. Rod Woodson
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Carnell Lake
5. Donnie Shell
6. Ike Taylor
7. Jack Butler
8. Mike Wagner
9. J.T. Thomas
10. Dwayne Woodruff

fordfixer
06-27-2011, 02:10 PM
http://oybay.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

Last week, Linda Richman got the board talking about the top 10 Steeler linebackers of all time.

This week, we continue, by discussing our top 10 Steeler defensive backs of all time.

Last time, we had to mix-and-match inside and outside backers, players from the 3-4 vs. the 4-3. This time, you have to figure out where to rank certain corners and safeties from different eras with one another. Rod Woodson vs. Mel Blount at the top is so close, so tough...my tiebreaker is the fact that the NFL needed to change its rules because of Mel. Carnell Lake vs. Donnie Shell...another difficult choice...I went Lake on basis of his ability to move to CB when needed and flourish there as well. Even when we got to the bottom of the list, I wanted to include Deshea Townsend for all that he has done for us over the years, but it's hard to say that he was a better corner than Judge Dwayne Woodruff, since Deshea spent most of his career as a nickel back rather than a starter.

Here are my picks. Have at it.

1. Mel Blount
2. Rod Woodson
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Carnell Lake
5. Donnie Shell
6. Ike Taylor
7. Jack Butler
8. Mike Wagner
9. J.T. Thomas
10. Dwayne Woodruff
Cant argue with your list

flippy
06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
1. Troy P
2. Mel
3. Rod
4. Ike
5. Lake
6. Donnie
7. Butler
8. Wagner
9. Bullet Bill
10. Perry

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Rod Woodson
Mel Blount
Carnell Lake
Troy Polamalu
Donnie Shell
Jack Butler
Mike Wagner
Ike Taylor
Glen Edwards
Darren Perry

steelblood
06-27-2011, 03:03 PM
1. Rod Woodson
2. Mel Blount
3. Jack Butler
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Donnie Shell
6. Carnell Lake
7. Glen Edwards - huge game changing plays in super bowls 9 & 10. 2 X pro bowler
8. Mike Wagner
9. Bullet Bill Dudley
10. Darren Perry

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I forgot about Glen Edwards. D'Oh!

I think of Bullet Bill as a RB, but they played both ways back in the 40's.

Darren Perry is another good one.

Nice job, fellas!

No nominations for Ricardo Colclough or Scott Shields yet? :wink:

flippy
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I forgot about Glen Edwards. D'Oh!

I think of Bullet Bill as a RB, but they played both ways back in the 40's.

Darren Perry is another good one.

Nice job, fellas!

No nominations for Ricardo Colclough or Scott Shields yet? :wink:

I figured I had to throw in BB since he's HOFer. I really don't remember the guy. Just the stories that he played QB, RB, P, DB, etc. Must have been a heck of an athlete.

steelblood
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Bullet Bill had 10 picks one season. 10! And that was likely in a 12 game season and when the league was not as pass happy. That is very impressive.