PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Surgery an option

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: Surgery an option

ESPN.com news services
June 25, 2011

A broken foot that slowed Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger through much of the end of last season -- and into the playoffs and Super Bowl -- may need an operation to correct the injury.

Roethlisberger, speaking to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday, said his right foot bothered him so much last season "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."

“It would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was. It was better off trying not to do anything. It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear.”

But the lockout, Roethlisberger told the newspaper, has given him time to rest. And as a result the foot has nearly fully healed.

"I could have had surgery, but according to the doctors it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was," Roethlisberger said. "It was better off trying not to do anything. It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear.

"If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

But as the lockout continues -- Saturday marked the standoff's 102nd day -- Roethlisberger has taken advantage of the downtime.

"It's doing really good. It's healed up," he said. "Obviously, it helps when I'm not cutting and planting and doing all of these different activities. It's really come a long way. I haven't had too many problems with it recently."

Roethlisberger overcame the injury to lead the Steelers to the Super Bowl, where they lost 31-25 to the Green Bay Packers.

A metal-reinforced cleat helped him through the injury, starting with a Dec. 5 game at Baltimore and throughout the rest of the season and playoffs -- eight games, all told.

After his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger returned to throw for 3,200 yards with 17 touchdowns and five interceptions.

But the loss to the Packers still burns, he said.

"I don't know if it will ever really go away," he told the Tribune-Review, "unless you can get back and win one."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6703394

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2011, 01:10 AM
SATURDAY, JUNE 25, 2011

Here we go again

Ben Roethlisberger is nothing if not consistent.

I don't doubt that his injured foot bothered him last season. I saw him on a daily basis limping through the locker room.

But now we have Roethlisberger telling the Tribune-Review that he may need surgery at some point to fix the foot problem.

Of course, this happens after a disappointing loss in the Super Bowl.

It's become a theme for Roethlisberger. Have a bad game on a big stage - which hasn't happened often – and blame it on an injury.

It's a broken toe - or is it? I had a fever of 105. I have broken ribs - unless we win.

Roethlisberger is an outstanding quarterback. But I wish he'd give the injury stuff a rest. So do his teammates. And the Steelers' doctors and trainers. And the coaching staff.

Sometimes, you just get beat. Sometimes the other team outplays you. It doesn't always have to be because of an injury.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... again.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/06/here-we-go-again.html)

feltdizz
06-27-2011, 09:17 AM
usually Ben makes up the injuries after the game.... we all knew about the foot though so he gets a pass. :wink:

Oviedo
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
SATURDAY, JUNE 25, 2011

Here we go again

Ben Roethlisberger is nothing if not consistent.

I don't doubt that his injured foot bothered him last season. I saw him on a daily basis limping through the locker room.

But now we have Roethlisberger telling the Tribune-Review that he may need surgery at some point to fix the foot problem.

Of course, this happens after a disappointing loss in the Super Bowl.

It's become a theme for Roethlisberger. Have a bad game on a big stage - which hasn't happened often – and blame it on an injury.

It's a broken toe - or is it? I had a fever of 105. I have broken ribs - unless we win.

Roethlisberger is an outstanding quarterback. But I wish he'd give the injury stuff a rest. So do his teammates. And the Steelers' doctors and trainers. And the coaching staff.

Sometimes, you just get beat. Sometimes the other team outplays you. It doesn't always have to be because of an injury.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... again.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/06/here-we-go-again.html)

Written by a moron. Ben takes more physical abuse than any QB in the league because the refs put their whistle away. I have no doubt he has some lingering injuries. Ben never blamed the loss of the Super Bowl on his foot.

grotonsteel
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
SATURDAY, JUNE 25, 2011

Here we go again

WTF????

How can it become a theme when it has not happened often????

Did Big Ben ever claimed he had a bad game because of broken foot??

birtikidis
06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
seeing as how the NFL allows him to take abuse after the whistle and how they allow him to take hits that are illegal time after time, why is the writer surprised that Ben gets injured?

aggiebones
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
The dude takes a beating and will have long term effects from it for the rest of what will be a curtailed life. If he wants to say his ribs hurt and that he has a significant foot problem making it hard to run, I believe him. I also believe he plays with alot of adrenaline when the ball is snapped. Like many great players whose bodies are a wreck after their careers.
He is injured and will be the rest of his career. He will likely never be fully healthy again.

Now go write a story about how Brady has been probable on the injury list for like 50 weeks.

Oviedo
06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
The dude takes a beating and will have long term effects from it for the rest of what will be a curtailed life. If he wants to say his ribs hurt and that he has a significant foot problem making it hard to run, I believe him. I also believe he plays with alot of adrenaline when the ball is snapped. Like many great players whose bodies are a wreck after their careers.
He is injured and will be the rest of his career. He will likely never be fully healthy again.

Now go write a story about how Brady has been probable on the injury list for like 50 weeks.

He is smart enough to be marrying a physicians assistant who happens to be pretty good looking too!!!! He'll have constant medical attention.

MadSteel
06-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Agent: Big Ben's surgery comments blown out of proportion

As you were.

That's the message from Ben Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, after a report last week quoted the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback as saying there's a chance he will need surgery on his previously broken right foot at some point.

"There's nothing new there," Tollner told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday night. "The doctors elected not to do surgery and to let it heal. If it ever got worse, they might have to do something.

"Ben is kind of surprised that it's getting the attention. He hopes and expects never to have surgery on it. The foot was feeling better after the season, with the extra time this offseason, it's feeling great."

Roethlisberger, who told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in a story published Saturday that his foot has healed, suffered through much of 2010 with the injury. He aggravated it during a game against the Buffalo Bills in November, saying "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."

The seven-year veteran and two-time Super Bowl winner wore a cleat fitted with a pair of metal plates both in games and practices, right up through the team's loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. He didn't miss a snap last season because of the injury, throwing for 3,200 yards and 17 touchdowns.

"I could have had surgery (after last season), but according to the doctors, it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was. It was better off trying not to do anything," Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review. "It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear. If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... proportion (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82084b23/article/agent-big-bens-surgery-comments-blown-out-of-proportion)