PDA

View Full Version : Mendy getting ZERO respect....

SteelHead
06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
So, the link is for a list of the top 45 RB's in the league today by Pat Kirwan. He breaks them down by tiers of 5 players each and Mendy only made it into his "group D" which would rank him somewhere from the 16th to the 20th best back in the league. Are you kidding me ? It's not like I think he's a top 5 guy at this point but c'mon , 15 other RB's are better than him ? In two seasons he's put up 2,800 all purpose yards and 21 touchdowns......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8201500c/article/running-the-show-no-surprises-atop-list-of-nfls-best-rbs?module=HP_cp2

ikestops85
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
:Agree

There isn't anyone in Group C that is good as Mendenhall and I think he could replace Ray Rice in Group B. I'm not sure why he doesn't get any respect but people certainly aren't taking into account the O-line he has to run behind. I don't think Mendy is a superstar but he is a good solid runner and is a nice fit for the Steelers.

Snatch98
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Yea totally bogus. I will agree that Mendenhall isn't a superstar BUT I do believe he has the tools to be one. If our offensive line ever REALLY Gels and I think it will Mendenhall could be ridiculous.

sentinel33
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
The last thing people remember about mendenhall is the super bowl fumble. Not the season he just put together at the age of 23.

With the addition of Gilbert and another year for pouncey and gettin some key guys back and healthy...yeah. the future looks good for menedenhall. He's a bell cow and Tomlin knows that and the only way to use a bell cow is to run the piss outta him.

I think Dwyer and Mendenhall are both built to handle the abuse.

No need to platoon.

Shoe
06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
You're right SteelHead...

But you're bringing this up with the 2nd half fumble in the Super Bowl still fresh in my memory. I don't want to make positive remarks on Mendenhall right now. Still a bit bitter.

flippy
06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
2nd in TDs and 7th in rushing, yet he's ranked at 20. Makes little sense.

Seems his number should have him in the 2-7 range with a little drop for the SB fumble.

I'd have him in group B at a minimum.

SteelHead
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah that fumble killed our momentum big time but Mendy is just one in a long list of Steelers that played poorly that day , and we still had the ball to win at the end ! Nobody will ever convince me GB was the better team. Enough about that though , I don't need depression setting in while at work.....

As far as the RB rankings I would easily put him in group B somewhere with the potential to move into group A with an improved performance from the O-line. We have a stud in Mendy and he is clearly flying WAY under the radar.

feltdizz
06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Mend didn't disappoint me in the SB he just got rocked by a good defensive play.

As for the respect... I think if Mend runs like he did in the playoffs he will get the props he deserves. He is too inconsistent IMO to get the recognition he deserves. He also doesn't have that many highlights besides the spin move... truck a few guys, take one 60 yards and watch the pub pick up.

Chavezz
06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Just glanced at his stats for last year. Out of the top 50 RB's Mendenhall was around 40th in avg per carry. It's not the end all, be all of stats but ir is something that should be considered.

Also I think of him as somewhat of a fumbler for some reason but he only had 3 fumbles last year in the reg season and lost 2 of them. I guess it's just in how he carries the ball, I'm always expecting it to come out. Especially when he does his spin move.

I'm not a Mendy hater and not really a Mendy fan either. I think he CAN be the guy we need and a lot of the issues that he has are due to our at times poor o line play. I just think he needs to hit the hole faster and take the 4-5 yards that are there instead of trying to score a TD every carry.

SteelHead
06-22-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't buy the argument that Mendy doesn't get as much publicity as other guys because he doesn't bust long runs or highlight reel type stuff........HE DOES !

Yup , just checked the stats.......

Mendy had more 20+ yard runs than 2 guys in group "A"......MJD/Peterson.

Didn't see that one coming did ya !

Chavezz
06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't buy the argument that Mendy doesn't get as much publicity as other guys because he doesn't bust long runs or highlight reel type stuff........HE DOES !

Then explain the 3.9 yard average? MJD and Peterson have a 4.4 and a 4.6 yard average. That doesn't work in mendenhalls favor IMO. To have more long runs but to have a lower rush average (by a half yard) is significant.

That just shows that mendenhall had quite a few carries for losses. I was hoping to find some stats would show how many but I couldn't find any.

RuthlessBurgher
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Then explain the 3.9 yard average? MJD and Peterson have a 4.4 and a 4.6 yard average. That doesn't work in mendenhalls favor IMO. To have more long runs but to have a lower rush average (by a half yard) is significant.

That just shows that mendenhall had quite a few carries for losses. I was hoping to find some stats would show how many but I couldn't find any.

*cough*cough*Chris Kemoeatu*cough*Jonathan Scott*cough*Ramon Foster*cough*cough

SteelHead
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

I wasn't trying to explain anything about the YPC , I was responding to the previous post about why Mendy doesn't get the publicity some of the other backs do.....but now that you called me out :D , all I can say is that 18" difference in YPC can probably be chalked up to all the times Mendy is getting blown up in the backfield due to missed assignments by the O-line. (ok ok , and he does miss some holes from time to time , he'll get better though , he's only played 2 full seasons)

feltdizz
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

How many 30 or 40 yard TD's does he have? I'm thinking ZERO!!!

..and highlights? I'm sorry but he doesn't have that many... a couple spins and some tough inside running but if you look at Bettis all you have to do is show the Chicago run and you get where he is coming from.

Mend doesn't have an identity yet as a premiere RB thus far but he is young.

birtikidis
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM

..and highlights? I'm sorry but he doesn't have that many... a couple spins and some tough inside running but if you look at Bettis all you have to do is show the Chicago run and you get where he is coming from.

didn't he have a 40+ yard td run against the Falcons this year to win it in overtime?

birtikidis
06-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I only bring up the Falcons game because it shows what he is capable of when, and if, he becomes more consistent. Of course, his offensive coordinator doesn't put him in the best situations for long runs. I still dream of the days of Tim Lester and Dan Kreider...

Chavezz
06-22-2011, 04:16 PM

*cough*cough*Chris Kemoeatu*cough*Jonathan Scott*cough*Ramon Foster*cough*cough

I agree and mentioned as much in my previous post. Just thought it interesting that he had more 20+ yard carries but still had a lesser average.

Chavezz
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

I wasn't trying to explain anything about the YPC , I was responding to the previous post about why Mendy doesn't get the publicity some of the other backs do.....but now that you called me out :D , all I can say is that 18" difference in YPC can probably be chalked up to all the times Mendy is getting blown up in the backfield due to missed assignments by the O-line. (ok ok , and he does miss some holes from time to time , he'll get better though , he's only played 2 full seasons)

LOL that was a call out? HA! You haven't seen a call out then!

Half a yard is pretty significant though, like I said previously, I'm neither a hater or a fan of Mendy. Our line doesn't help him a lot but there are times where his short runs and lost yards are brought on himself by dancing or not making a quick decision.

SteelHead
06-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Ok so runs over 40 yards (last year) now huh......here ya go....

MJD-0 , AP-2 , Mendy-1 , CJ-4

Doesn't appear anyone is lighting the world on fire with those kinda runs so that point gets tossed out the window.

Now for highlights , I'd say the below link covers your previously established criteria for getting some "pub". We've got stiff arms , long runs , great feet/speed and trucking defenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYBT3kIEIg

feltdizz
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
We've seen AP and Chris Johnson put up ridiculous numbers and runs in the last few years. Mendenhall has yet to have a breakout year. Once he does he will get the props he deserves. You also have to remember our team has a history of good RB's so its hard to get excited about the stats you present.

One last thing, all those other RB's our the bulk of their teams offense. Mend isn't our primary weapon and when we do try to get him 25 touches in a game the results are mixed.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
The Steelers are relying on Rashard Mendenhall too much

WRITTEN BY BAM MORRIS | 19 JUNE 2011

http://lesterslegends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Rashard-Mendenhall-running.jpg

Only three running back in the NFL had more carries than Rashard Mendenhall in 2010 -- Michael Turner, Steven Jackson and Arian Foster. Mendenhall's 324 carries are the most for a Steeler back in one season since Willie Parker's 337 in 2006 and the second most since 2000, when Jerome Bettis carried the ball a remarkable 355 times.

Running the ball a lot with one running back isn't always a bad thing. Bettis is a great example of this. He was big, powerful and durable. His backbreaking 3-yard runs moved the chains and won dozens of games during his Steeler career. But the NFL is much different now than it was in 2000. The league has transformed from a run-heavy league to a more open, pass-first mentality.

That is true for the Steelers, as well. Running the ball is still important to the team, but with Ben Roethlisberger at the helm, there's no reason the Steelers shouldn't rely mostly on a passing attack. Rule changes in recent years have made it a lot easier on quarterbacks and receivers. The Steelers have one of the top quarterbacks in the game and a group of young, talented receivers anchored by a Hall of Fame veteran in Hines Ward.

With all that in mind, does it make any sense to run Rashard Mendenhall 300+ times in a season? I don't think so. Jump it for graphs, a look back at the Steelers rushing distribution since 2000 and three reasons why the Steelers have no business giving Mendenhall so many carries.

Here's a look at the number of carries for the Steelers top running backs in the last 11 seasons:

Year Player Rushing Attempts Yards Per Carry Total Team Carries % of Total Carries

2010 Mendenhall 324 3.9 471 68.79%
2009 Mendenhall 242 4.6 428 56.54%
2008 Parker 210 3.8 460 45.65%
2007 Parker 321 4.1 511 62.82%
2006 Parker 337 4.4 469 71.86%
2005 Parker 255 4.7 549 46.45%
2004 Bettis 250 3.8 618 40.45%
2003 Bettis 246 3.3 446 55.16%
2002 Zereoue 193 3.9 512 37.70%
2001 Bettis 225 4.8 580 38.79%
2000 Bettis 355 3.8 527 67.36%

Mendenhall carried the ball in over 68% of the Steelers rushing plays. Only Parker in 2006 shouldered a bigger burden of the rushing game and we all know the turn his career has taken since back-to-back years of 300+ carries. Mike Tomlin said he would run Parker into the ground and him and Bill Cowher did.

Giving Mendenhall nearly 70% of the carries would be acceptable in three situations: the quarterback can't be trusted, the running back is having an MVP-type season or the backups stink. In 2010, only two running backs carried the ball a higher percentage of the time for their respective teams than Mendenhall -- Steven Jackson and Arian Foster. In Jackson's case, the Rams weren't comfortable airing it out with Sam Bradford and their backup running back was Kenneth Darby. Darby had 34 carries and was second on the team to Jackson's 330. The situation was different in Houston, where Foster averaged 4.9 yards per carry and was dominant. He needed to be fed the ball over and over again because he couldn't be stopped.

I don't feel that any of those situations apply to the 2010 Steelers and I don't see them applying in upcoming seasons either. As I mentioned above, the Steelers have what should be one of the most feared passing attacks in the league with Roethlisberer & Co. Focusing the offense on an aerial attack should be a no-brainer.

Mendenhall scored a lot of touchdowns last season and ended up with a decent chunk of yardage, but he wasn't very effective. Brian Burke's Win Probability Added stat had Mendenhall's 2010 season at a pedestrian 0.13. His 3.9 yards per carry, another pedestrian number, are further evidence that he was average in 2010.

Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore and Jonathan Dwyer are not elite NFL running backs, but they are all capable backups, especially Redman. Redman averaged 4.8 yards per carry and looked great carrying the ball during most of the season. If for some reason the team isn't comfortable with these three getting more than 90 or so carries a year, they need to look elsewhere for other options.

The Steeler offensive suffered from a lack of identity during much of the 2010 season. Everybody from fans to the team's ownership was calling for the Steelers to run the ball more in 2010 and Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians listened. In 2011 and beyond, though, they must be more responsible and smarter with how they spread the ball around in the backfield. Unless Mendenhall starts shredding defenses a la Arian Foster, there is no reason to give him well over 300 carries in a year. With Redman and Roethlisberger on the roster, 324 carries in one season is way too much burden to put on one players shoulders. The Steelers have already witnessed firsthand what this type of abuse can do to a running back's career and, aside from that, it really isn't smart football.

I've never been the biggest Mendenhall fan and between the SB fumble and his offseason tweets, I'm sure a lot of fans will perhaps be actively rooting against him (which is kind of sad, but that's another post). I think Mendenhall can be an above-average running back in this league. At one time, I was worried he would be a bust but I saw a few flashes of greatness at times in 2010. His vision is improving and his strong postseason are good signs. However, I think he would be a lot more effective in the long run if he isn't asked to do so much. Fresher legs mean more long runs and a healthier body during what is hopefully another long playoff run in 2011.

Seeing how Tomlin and Arians choose to distribute carries will be one of the more interesting things to watch in the Steelers offense in 2010.

http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles ... elers.html (http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles/june/rashard-mendenhall-too-many-carries-steelers.html)

feltdizz
06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I agree that Mend is getting too many touches... Also agree that Redman has been outstanding as a #2.

I strongly disagree with the Mendenhall fumble being a huge negative. People act like he had a head of steam and fumbled 5 yards downfield... he was blown up in he backfield and anyone who is blown up in the backfield gets a pass.

Ben210
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Mendenhall is Willie Parker with hands.

skyhawk
06-29-2011, 03:18 AM
The real Bam Morris wrote the above story?

skyhawk
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
And THREE words why Mendy is so low on the list, stats aside.

Anti-Steeler Bias. Plain and simple.

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
JUL 8th 2011

Steelers Running Backs: Mendenhall All By Himself

AUTHOR: Adam

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/07/rashard-mendenhall-300x205.jpg

Rashard Mendenhall has proven to be a solid back on the field. Other than the fumble in the Super Bowl, and all of the fair whether fans that cast him out after, Rashard has been a consistent weapon in the Steelers’ offense, and helped lead the Steelers to a 3-1 start in the 2010 season during Ben Roethlisberger’s 4 game suspension.

I talk a lot about Big Ben being a great passer, and how we have much to see from this passing offense in years to come, but there is no pass game without a run game. The Steelers live by the old-school philosophy that the run sets up the pass, and it is not the other way around. Whether that sentiment is changing in Pittsburgh is still up for debate, but what isn’t in question is how important it is to have a strong rushing game.

Unfortunately, where it stands, the Steelers only have one productive running back.

Rashard Mendenhall has been a go-to player for the Steelers ever since he won the job from an injured Willie Parker in 2008. Where Rashard has had some less than spectacular moments (twitter antics, Super Bowl Fumble etc.) he has shown that he is a reliable player on the field. He’s been carrying the bulk of the load for the last two seasons, (2009: 242 carries for 1,108 yds, 2010: 324 carries for 1,273 yds). Over three seasons he averages 4.2 yards per carry and seems to only be getting stronger.

Now for those of you who are ready to get rid of Rashard because of what he said about the OBL killing and the 9/11 terrorist attacks, just remember what you’re getting yourself into here. Rashard is literally the only capable back we have as it stands right now. The only other back capable of making some plays is the young and inexperienced (though spirited) Isaac Redman. Red-Zone Redman, as he’s know by his peers, shows flashes of brilliance when he lowers his head a barrels through the defensive line for a converted 3rd down, or TD. Before Redman, there wasn’t a chance we’d convert a 3rd and 1 on a run play. Since his arrival, we’ve at least started to get back some of that stank on 3rd and shorts. That being said, Redman is young and is not built to take such a heavy load like Rashard.

And that is precisely what makes me nervous. In my humble opinion, Mewelde Moore isn’t worth the cleats that he straps on every day. He is ungodly slow, and for some reason Bruce Arians still thinks it’s smart to put Moore in on short yardage situations. Moore used to be nick-named “the chain mover,” but I just don’t see it anymore. He’s old and slow and needs to go.

So, other than Rashard and Redman, there is no one but Jonathan Dwyer, and the newly drafted Baron Batch. Unless the Steelers decide that Redman is ready to take on a heavier load, we could see Rashard’s play diminish more quickly than we’d like. In this league, the running back position is the hardest at which to maintain dominance. Getting hit so many times and taking so many carries, especially in a run-first offense like the Steelers, can take a RB out of commission very quickly. Just look at what happened to Willie Parker. He went from rushing for like a million yards to being lost in oblivion with in a season. That’s a very fast decline, and unfortunately Willie’s story is pretty common among Running Backs.

So, if we can be willing to recognize the fact that the Steelers were already well on their way to losing that Super Bowl against the Packers long before Kemo missed another block and let Matthews hit Rashard at full speed (NFL network did a math behind the game series where they analyzed this play and showed that due to the force at which Matthews was allowed to hit Rashard, Rashard litterally never had a chance at holding on to that ball), we will see that Rashard is our only hope, and the only way to keep him performing at his best is to have a back that can relieve him of his duties from time to time. Bettis never did it all, neither did Franco. Bettis and FWP had each other. Franco and Rocky had each other. Franco would run around people, turn the corner, and fly. Rocky would just run right through them. Rashard needs a Rocky, and I think that guy has got to be Redman.

Obviously there are other scenarios that could take place here. You all know about the fans’ call to can Rashard and bring in a Free Agent. Tiki Barber has said numerous times that the Steelers are on his “short list” of teams to where he’d like to return and play football again. As Craig has pointed out many times on this site, that’s just not likely.

There are also these young dudes, particularly Dwyer who is in his second year, who could potentially be seen as contributors depending on how much work he does in the off-season.

Really, the running back situation is pretty up in the air. I would love to see Rashard continue to carry the ball in Pittsburgh, and I would love to see Redman be his sole reliever with a little Dwyer worked in, and maybe that’s where it’s going, but there is just no way to know for sure what they’re thinking in the Steelers’ front office.

I just want to be sure that the Steelers don’t pull another Willie Parker and work Rashard so hard that they lose him after another one or two good seasons. Rashard is young and strong right now, and he is only going to get better. Let’s make sure we keep it that way by complimenting his running with another Back, preferably one who is a “up and down” or “north and south” back. One who is Bettis-like or Blier-like. If we can accomplish that kind of balance in the run game, and an overall run/pass balance that is effective, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense will be one to be reckoned with.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/08/st ... y-himself/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/08/steelers-running-backs-mendenhall-all-by-himself/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Holy cr*p, is that our Bam Morris who wrote that article a few up?

Dang!