PDA

View Full Version : Burress more Likely Than Barber

Jooser
06-21-2011, 09:03 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/06/21/burress-a-more-likely-option-than-barber/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Burress a more likely option than Barber
June 21st, 2011

Tiki Barber, the former Pro Bowl running back who is coming out of retirement, has been linked to the Steelers.
But he may not even be the most likely former New York Giant to sign with the Steelers once the lockout ends.
Ben Roethlisberger has been in touch with Plaxico Burress since the latter was released from prison. And he sounds enamored with the idea of adding the one thing that is missing from the Steelers receiving corps: a rangy wideout that can actually catch.
“I’ve talked to Plax a number of times in the last couple of weeks. I told him, ‘Hey if you came back here that would be awesome but I’m just happy to see you playing again’ because he’s a good guy,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday.
There are a lot of dots that can be connected between Barber and the Steelers, starting with coach Mike Tomlin’s close relationship with Ronde Barber, Tiki’s identical twin brother.
There are just as many dots that can be connected between Burress, who is expected to become a free agent after the lockout is over, and the Steelers. And the kind of role he would have to accept if he returned to Pittsburgh may be more palatable to Burress than the one the Steelers would likely offer Barber.
Tomlin has shown no inclination toward employing the kind of two-back system that is trending right now in the NFL but has yet to gain traction here. That means Barber would likely get a limited number of carries behind Rashard Mendenhall if, in fact, he would win the No 2 job.
This is a player who wasn’t considered a great locker room guy when he was getting the ball all of the time. Imagine the problems that might crop up if Barber had to accept the scraps that Mendenhall left for him.
Burress wouldn’t start either but offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not shy about using four-wide receiver sets. Arians would surely find a way to take advantage of Burress’ size -- and, more importantly, the latter would fill a need, assuming he can still play.

I'm not sure, but my gut tells me this is probably about right.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Someone could just as easily write "Sidney Rice more likely than Nnamdi Asomugha" or "Johnathan Joseph more likely than Zach Miller" (because we aren't signing any of these guys either). When the NFL opens for business again, we'll focus on our own guys and undrafted college free agents. I doubt that we sign anyone from outside our organization except perhaps for depth/special teams purposes (unless we lose Ike...then we'll look for a reasonable starter-quality replacement...but it will be more like Richard Marshall dollars than Nnamdi Asomugha dollars). If someone falls between the cracks and we are able to pounce on a good player for decent money who wants to play for a winner (like signing Farrior from the Jets back in the day), then perhaps, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for a big-name free agent from elsewhere joining our squad.

hawaiiansteel
06-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Ben keeps tabs on former teammate Burress

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 22, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-06-21/0622BenInsideCAP-a.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has talked in the past about how a tall wide receiver would add another dimension to the passing game.

Tuesday, Roethlisberger stopped just short of lobbying for Plaxico Burress' return to Pittsburgh.

"I've talked to Plax a number of times in the last couple of weeks," Roethlisberger said. "I told him, 'Hey, if you came back here that would be awesome, but I'm just happy to see you playing again' because he's a good guy."

The two were teammates for one season, and the Steelers have not had a wide receiver that is rangy and sure-handed since Burress signed with the New York Giants in 2005.

Burress is eying a comeback after spending the last two years in prison on a weapons charge. The wideout, who last played in 2008, is expected to become an unrestricted free agent shortly after the NFL lockout ends and the Giants grant his release.

The 6-foot-5 Burress had been productive in New York — he caught the game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLII — before derailing his career after accidentally shooting himself with an unregistered gun.

Roethlisberger, who had been Burress' neighbor in Pittsburgh and remains close to his former target, threw to smaller targets yesterday during the second and final day of his football camp for kids ages 7 to 14.

Roethlisberger moved easily among the pint-sized campers that dotted the football field at Seneca Valley High School, alternately handing out instruction and high-fives. His relaxed and carefree attitude coincided with news that labor peace may be on the horizon.

And it was fitting, too, since the Steelers may be in as good a position as any team once the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987 ends.

The Steelers return most starters from last year's Super Bowl team, and they didn't require the offseason practices — a casualty of the lockout — to install a new offense or defense.

"It's not like we need a rookie center or a new quarterback, someone to learn the offense right away, so I think we are better equipped (to deal with the lockout) than we would be if we were a younger team," Roethlisberger said. "We don't need to fill many spots. I think that translates into a veteran team that can deal with things like this."

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel agreed.

"I thank God that I'm part of a team that's a veteran team," said Keisel, who served as a coach at Roethlisberger's camp. "We know the playbooks, we know what the coaches expect, we know how to work in the offseason. I've had an eased state of mind because of that."

Steelers defensive players largely have worked out on their own this offseason. The offensive players, meanwhile, have been gathering at different locations to work on timing, among other things. At times, Roethlisberger said, the workouts attracted enough players that they broke up into two groups.

"We got together as an offense quite a few times and went over plays, we did some no-huddle stuff, we got in the huddle," Roethlisberger said. "Linemen, running backs, pretty much everybody was there."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1PyV1VXDD (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_743269.html#ixzz1PyV1VXDD)

steelblood
06-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Someone could just as easily write "Sidney Rice more likely than Nnamdi Asomugha" or "Johnathan Joseph more likely than Zach Miller" (because we aren't signing any of these guys either). When the NFL opens for business again, we'll focus on our own guys and undrafted college free agents. I doubt that we sign anyone from outside our organization except perhaps for depth/special teams purposes (unless we lose Ike...then we'll look for a reasonable starter-quality replacement...but it will be more like Richard Marshall dollars than Nnamdi Asomugha dollars). If someone falls between the cracks and we are able to pounce on a good player for decent money who wants to play for a winner (like signing Farrior from the Jets back in the day), then perhaps, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for a big-name free agent from elsewhere joining our squad.

i think we should offer jonathan joseph a contract. he is a very good corner and he'd be moving into the prime of his career. we might be able to outbid the bengals!

SteelBucks
06-22-2011, 07:49 AM
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-06-21/0622BenInsideCAP-a.jpg

I see Keisel, as promised, started the beard again. :tt2

feltdizz
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM

:Agree

Every off season we get these sensational "unknown sources" who bring up names we know damn well the Steelers aren't going to sign...

...and every off season we see the Steelers make boring FA moves that help us get to SB's.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-22-2011, 09:36 AM

I think that Richard Marshall might be one of those guys that the Steelers might kick the tires on if Taylor makes some visits.

hawaiiansteel
06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Thinks It Would be ‘Awesome’ to Have Plaxico Burress Back

Posted on June 22, 2011 by adam

Last offseason the Steelers spent the free agency signing period putting the band back together by re-acquiring former starters Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El and Bryant McFadden. Even though no roster movement has taken place this offseason (because of the damn lockout) there’s been plenty of talk about another former friend making a return: Plaxico Burress, who was recently released from prison after serving two years behind bars.

My opinion on the matter is quite clear — I don’t see the point, not because Burress is some sort of distraction or rabble-rouser that will bring the whole operation down from the inside, but because the Steelers have better players at his position that should be getting the bulk of the playing time. Players like Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown and, of course, wily veteran Hines Ward.

One person that would seem to be in favor of bring Burress back? Starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Here’s what he had to say on the subject, via Scott Brown of the Tribune-Review…

“I’ve talked to Plax a number of times in the last couple of weeks,” Roethlisberger said. “I told him, ‘Hey, if you came back here that would be awesome, but I’m just happy to see you playing again’ because he’s a good guy.”

Of course, this is being used as an excuse to dig up Roethlisberger’s past comments on his desire to have a tall wide receiver on the roster (Burress is 6’5). As we’ve discussed around here in the past that factor can be extremely overrated for a pass catcher.

Along with Roethlisberger’s recent comments, Gerry Dulac of the Post-Gazette mentioned on Twitter earlier this week that the Steelers coaches were intrigued by the possibility of Burress and, depending on the price, would release Randle El to make room for him on the roster. On Tuesday night Dulac followed that up by pointing out the possible addition of Burress would cut into the playing time for Sanders and Brown — as I stated above — which would concern the Steelers.

That makes the decision an easy one: Don’t sign him.

If nothing else it’s helped to make the Pittsburgh sports talk circuit a little more interesting this week, especially when combined with the Penguins courtship of one their former players, Jaromir Jagr.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/b ... #more-5749 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/ben-roethlisberger-thinks-awesome-play-plaxico-burress/#more-5749)

feltdizz
06-22-2011, 10:36 PM
:wft are these Pittsburgh reporters doing? I know its slow with the lockout but these guys are losing credibility. First there was the Russ Grimm hiring that wasn't. Then we had the Arians firin that never happened. Now we have stories about coaches cutting players for FA's that are perfect fits for our team... only to find out a day or tweet later that they wouldn't be a good fit because the Steelers haven't had any contact with these reporters.

These guys need to report facts instead of lying to get clicks.

hawaiiansteel
06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Tomlin tiptoes around talk of Tiki, Plaxico

Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/miketomlinsuperbowlgetty-e1308794216755.jpg?w=237

With Peter King of SI.com thinking that running back Tiki Barber could be bound for the ‘Burgh and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger openly rooting for a return of receiver Plaxico Burress, it makes sense for anyone interviewing coach Mike Tomlin to ask about Barber and Burress.

Of course, it may not make sense for Tomlin to actually answer, but it definitely makes sense to ask.

Tomlin appeared as a guest Wednesday with Johnny D and The 757 Club of 1490 AM the Game in Virginia Beach. Tomlin was asked about both players.

“I don’t know the status of those two guys,” Tomlin said, “and I don’t worry about what’s said in the media in terms of potential free agents. That’s not my bag, man. This is slow sports time, so people are gonna say whatever it is they’re gonna say.”

It’s neither an admission nor a denial, so we’ll simply have to wait and see what happens once the lockout ends.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... i-plaxico/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/22/tomlin-tiptoes-around-talk-of-tiki-plaxico/)

Oviedo
06-23-2011, 08:14 AM

i think we should offer jonathan joseph a contract. he is a very good corner and he'd be moving into the prime of his career. we might be able to outbid the bengals!

If we couldn'r resign Ike, Joseph would be mu first choice but reality is he will be a preferred option by every team going after a CB because of his age and skill level. We would likely lose a bidding war for him.

More likely would be guys like Chris Carr or Josh Wilson and unfortunately neither would be as good as Ike.