PDA

View Full Version : Can Limas Sweed help the Steelers?

MadSteel
06-08-2011, 12:42 AM
By James Walker

Remember Limas Sweed?

He was a former second-round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers who joined the team in 2008 with high expectations. But for the past three seasons, Sweed has experienced disappointments and injuries, and now he's the forgotten man among Pittsburgh's wide receivers.

Sweed has gone from a high-profile draft pick to a player who enters training camp this summer on the roster bubble. At best, Sweed is currently sixth on the depth chart behind receivers Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown and Antwaan Randle El. Pittsburgh also could add more competition once free agency begins.

The numbers game could be too much for Sweed. He has the talent, size and speed to make plays. But early issues catching the ball and not making the most of opportunities have put Sweed on a very hot seat. He's also in the final year of his rookie contract, which makes it easier for Pittsburgh to cut ties.

Can Sweed help the Steelers in 2011? A lot would have to go right.

For starters, Sweed needs to light up the preseason to begin earning the trust of his coaches and teammates. Sweed also needs to prove he is recovered from last year's Achilles injury and may need an injury or two at receiver to provide another quality opportunity. But it is clear Sweed is down to his final chance in Pittsburgh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... e-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28263/can-limas-sweed-help-the-steelers)

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm cheering for him... :tt2

Oviedo
06-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm really pulling for Sweed to succeed. He is exactly what we need oppostite Wallace a big target who has enough speed to get deep and draw some of the over the top coverage away from Wallace.

Hines, ARE, Sanders and Brown are essentially all the same WR...best suited for the slot. Sweed offers a completely different dimension if he can perform. I for one will continue to show some faith until it all plays out in camp.

Notleadpoisoned
06-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I'd love to see Sweed contribute this season as well, however, how many solid NFL WR's spent their first 3 seasons in the league doing absolutely nothing before breaking out in their 4th year? It can't be too many.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
God I hope so. If he becomes who they hope he was..You have to love the WR group for the next several years.

aggiebones
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
He NEVER had great hands. He is big and has some speed. But he always had such great separation in college because Vince Young was terrorizing defenses at QB. I've said this many times and I watched him in college alot. He had alot of single coverage with teams fearing a running game. He then got hurt his senior year after Young left. So he was a bit of a question mark with teams. Big he was big and pretty fast. But as we know that measurement doesn't mean jack crap if you can't catch under duress. He was worth a flier in the second when we got him, but he has not panned out and he is NOT going to magically start catching the ball like a 5 year veteran(or whatever he is) should. Time to move on. Obviously throw him out there as camp fodder and see if magic strikes. But NOONE in their right mind would use a second rounder on him today. He's not even worth a 7th rounder if was 'hypothetically' to be placed in a Supplemental draft this year.

feltdizz
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
He NEVER had great hands. He is big and has some speed. But he always had such great separation in college because Vince Young was terrorizing defenses at QB. I've said this many times and I watched him in college alot. He had alot of single coverage with teams fearing a running game. He then got hurt his senior year after Young left. So he was a bit of a question mark with teams. Big he was big and pretty fast. But as we know that measurement doesn't mean jack crap if you can't catch under duress. He was worth a flier in the second when we got him, but he has not panned out and he is NOT going to magically start catching the ball like a 5 year veteran(or whatever he is) should. Time to move on. Obviously throw him out there as camp fodder and see if magic strikes. But NOONE in their right mind would use a second rounder on him today. He's not even worth a 7th rounder if was 'hypothetically' to be placed in a Supplemental draft this year.

unfortunately I agree... I remember hearing the knock about the ball getting into his body and not using his hands.

When he caught that clutch 3rd down pass against the Ravens in the playoffs he damn near went into a fetal position to secure the ball.

Regardless of how great his camp is and his preseason once the lights are on I fear the worst. I wouldn't trust him on game day. Sucks because he has all the tools but lacks the mental fortitude to hold onto those easy balls. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd love to see Sweed contribute this season as well, however, how many solid NFL WR's spent their first 3 seasons in the league doing absolutely nothing before breaking out in their 4th year? It can't be too many.

The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head is Jimmy Smith (the WR who played for the Jaguars, not the CB recently selected by the Ravens) and his teammate in Jacksonville, Keenan McCardell.

Jimmy Smith, like Limas Sweed, was also selected in the 2nd round. In his first two seasons with Dallas (1992-1993), he played in 7 games (0 starts) and had no catches. He was out of football in 1994. He signed with Jacksonville in 1995, playing in all 16 games (starting 4 of them) and had 22 catchers for 288 yards and 3 TD's. He then went on to have 1000+ yard seasons in 9 out of the next 10 years, finishing his career with 862 catches for 12,287 yards and 67 TD's.

McCardell did not play in any games for the Redskins during his rookie season. He played in 2 games (0 starts) in his second season (now with the Browns) and had 1 catch for 8 yards. In year 3, he played in 6 games (starting 3) and had 13 catches for 234 yards and 4 TD's. In year 4, he played in 13 games (starting 3) and had 10 catches for 182 yards and 0 TD's. Then he had 1000+ yards in 5 out of the next 9 season (and the seasons in which he did not have 1000+ yards were no slouches either: 56-709-4, 64-892-6, 78-891-5, and 61-670-6...plus one more solid season late in his career when he was in San Diego: 70-917-9 in 2005). He finished his career with 883 catches for 11,373 yards and 63 TD's.

Hopefully Limas Sweed doesn't get cut, go to Jacksonville, and flourish there like Smith and McCardell.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Thigpen wasn't drafted as high (90 SD as to Sweed's 53) but his career started out like he was going nowhere. He made a living on ST after he came to Pittsburgh and eventually got his shot. Sweed hasn't done anything as of yet. I'm pulling for him but I don't include him in any scenario until he proves otherwise.

Oviedo
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM

The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head is Jimmy Smith (the WR who played for the Jaguars, not the CB recently selected by the Ravens) and his teammate in Jacksonville, Keenan McCardell.

Jimmy Smith, like Limas Sweed, was also selected in the 2nd round. In his first two seasons with Dallas (1992-1993), he played in 7 games (0 starts) and had no catches. He was out of football in 1994. He signed with Jacksonville in 1995, playing in all 16 games (starting 4 of them) and had 22 catchers for 288 yards and 3 TD's. He then went on to have 1000+ yard seasons in 9 out of the next 10 years, finishing his career with 862 catches for 12,287 yards and 67 TD's.

McCardell did not play in any games for the Redskins during his rookie season. He played in 2 games (0 starts) in his second season (now with the Browns) and had 1 catch for 8 yards. In year 3, he played in 6 games (starting 3) and had 13 catches for 234 yards and 4 TD's. In year 4, he played in 13 games (starting 3) and had 10 catches for 182 yards and 0 TD's. Then he had 1000+ yards in 5 out of the next 9 season (and the seasons in which he did not have 1000+ yards were no slouches either: 56-709-4, 64-892-6, 78-891-5, and 61-670-6...plus one more solid season late in his career when he was in San Diego: 70-917-9 in 2005). He finished his career with 883 catches for 11,373 yards and 63 TD's.

Hopefully Limas Sweed doesn't get cut, go to Jacksonville, and flourish there like Smith and McCardell.

Add Mike Williams from the Seahawks to that list too.

papillon
06-08-2011, 12:05 PM
[youtube:3by1lip1]S8UQ2cZuHxw[/youtube:3by1lip1]

I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

I don't know if he'll ever be anything in the NFL or not, but his hands won't be what holds him back, IMO. There are some sick catches in this video.

Pappy

Ben210
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
and not making the most of opportunities

All 2 of them?

jj28west
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Ed Mccaffrey is another one that comes out of nowhere from San Fran to be productive in Denver. Wonder if he hung out with Romanowski because his arms looked ridiculously oversize for his body type.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Several other good suggestions, fellas. The common thread, though, is that all of these guys...Smith, McCardell, Thigpen, Williams, and McCaffery...all had to go to another team to ultimately experience success.

feltdizz
06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
[youtube:15vmyifd]S8UQ2cZuHxw[/youtube:15vmyifd]

I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

I don't know if he'll ever be anything in the NFL or not, but his hands won't be what holds him back, IMO. There are some sick catches in this video.

Pappy

Highlight films always show the good....

From NFL Combine report

Has had a history of concentration problems which prevents him from getting proper position to make the catch...Must do a better job of looking the ball in and securing it before trying to run with it (leads to dropped balls)...Has good leaping ability, but shows poor timing and arm extension trying to battle for jump balls (left 20 of 39 passes thrown to him behind in 2007)...

MadSteel
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
With everything already said by some here, what are we supposed to do if he does turn in a good or decent year in 2011? He is in his last year of that rookie contract. Do we re-sign him to an extension, which you know we would not pay much more than vet minimum no matter the season he has, just because of the risk factor (dropping passes). He'll likely sign somewhere else that will give him good money anyway. I think either way he's gone. Cut this year or not re-signed next year.

Oviedo
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
With everything already said by some here, what are we supposed to do if he does turn in a good or decent year in 2011? He is in his last year of that rookie contract. Do we re-sign him to an extension, which you know we would not pay much more than vet minimum no matter the season he has, just because of the risk factor (dropping passes). He'll likely sign somewhere else that will give him good money anyway. I think either way he's gone. Cut this year or not re-signed next year.

If he performs, you don't hesitate to resign him for a reasonable extension. Hines and ARE are going to be done and we would do well to move forward with a good Sweed plus Wallace, Sanders and Brown.

MadSteel
06-08-2011, 01:44 PM

If he performs, you don't hesitate to resign him for a reasonable extension. Hines and ARE are going to be done and we would do well to move forward with a good Sweed plus Wallace, Sanders and Brown.

Under normal circumstances, yes but this guy has thrown red fllags up all over Colbert and Tomlin's radar's. We have decent depth at WR for Hine's exit amd El is easily replaced.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Being in the last year of his contract doesn't bode well for Sweed's long-term future with the Steelers, IMO.

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Being in the last year of his contract doesn't bode well for Sweed's long-term future with the Steelers, IMO.

http://stockbee.biz/static/ckeditor_uploads/last_chance.jpg

aggiebones
06-08-2011, 04:06 PM
"I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

Pappy"

Well, he had ALOT of time and space in most of those plays. It was college, so the level of comp was lower and many of those CBs were alone with teams fearing VY. He had ALOT of space to make moves in those clips. He highpointed like Burress did. Let his feet fall and reached up, but that's enough when 6'4 sometimes. Also, those were 'highlights' and even some of those showed his patented stone hands to slow the ball down to catch it on the bounce. And VY was a SOOOOFFTTT thrower. Easy to catch with hands. Speed up those passes, embarrass yourself in practice and lose confidence for game day. We can't keep holding onto guys with 'potential' for 5 years. If he goes elsewhere and has some solid career, so be it. We can't wait for ten years. Maybe he needs a new address where he isn't shamed every day in practice. Which team has the worst CBs to go against every day. That's his best chance.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Everyone talks about how he had success in college because he was sooooo wide open.

His difficulties in the pros have been dropping balls when he was also sooooo wide open.

He wasn't dropping passes in traffic or while getting hit. There was no one within 5 yards of him when he dropped those balls.

feltdizz
06-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Everyone talks about how he had success in college because he was sooooo wide open.

His difficulties in the pros have been dropping balls when he was also sooooo wide open.

He wasn't dropping passes in traffic or while getting hit. There was no one within 5 yards of him when he dropped those balls.

It's not physical... it's mental and there are plenty of reports on Sweed dropping balls in college and having problems with concentration.

I doubt he makes an impact with us... but I wish him the best.

Ben210
06-08-2011, 04:44 PM

His ability to get sooooo wide open is encouraging.

MadSteel
06-08-2011, 07:26 PM

It's not physical... it's mental and there are plenty of reports on Sweed dropping balls in college and having problems with concentration.

Ditto...maybe he should go see a shrink

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Ditto...maybe he should go see a shrink

I would suspect he's seen a shrink more than a few times trying to overcome his bout with severe depression.

Severe depression for Limas Sweed?

March 11, 2010

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the "illness" that landed Limas Sweed on injured reserve late last season is speculated to be severe depression.

The Steelers have been tight-lipped on Sweed's status, labeling it only a "personal issue." Sweed hasn't rebounded since getting off on the wrong foot in Pittsburgh. He's in dire need of a fresh start elsewhere.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35818690/ ... layer_news (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35818690/sports/player_news)

papillon
06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
"I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

Pappy"

Well, he had ALOT of time and space in most of those plays. It was college, so the level of comp was lower and many of those CBs were alone with teams fearing VY. He had ALOT of space to make moves in those clips. He highpointed like Burress did. Let his feet fall and reached up, but that's enough when 6'4 sometimes. Also, those were 'highlights' and even some of those showed his patented stone hands to slow the ball down to catch it on the bounce. And VY was a SOOOOFFTTT thrower. Easy to catch with hands. Speed up those passes, embarrass yourself in practice and lose confidence for game day. We can't keep holding onto guys with 'potential' for 5 years. If he goes elsewhere and has some solid career, so be it. We can't wait for ten years. Maybe he needs a new address where he isn't shamed every day in practice. Which team has the worst CBs to go against every day. That's his best chance.

I'm not sure where the "shamed in practice" comes from. By all accounts until he ruptured the achilles he was having a very good camp. People are talking like he was a slacker and didn't want to work. There was never a report written (that I know of) about him that said he didn't want to put in the effort necessary to get better.

Like I said, I have no idea if he'll ever make it in the NFL, if he'll be average or if he'll be great, no one will know until he's out there playing. He has one year left on his contract it would be foolish not to have him in camp and competing.

I'd rather have Sweed on the team right now than a slow, unable to get open Randle El or Arnaz Battle.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
06-09-2011, 01:53 AM

hines didnt exactly light the world on fire early on

maybe not 4 years into their careers but these guys came on after getting some experience
miles austin?
welker?
sid rice

NJ-STEELER
06-09-2011, 01:58 AM

think i remember reading he first starting wearing contact lenses after he became a steeler.

that could explain some of his past troubles

Notleadpoisoned
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM

hines didnt exactly light the world on fire early on
Maybe so but Hines Ward was still a solid contributer in his first three seasons with 124 catches for 1,556yds. Compare that to Sweed's 7 catches for 69 yds in his first three seasons and it's pretty obvious that those two players are/were on completely different career paths.

NJ-STEELER
06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Hines ddidnt really have a Holmes or Hine in front of him to fight for playing time his 1st 2 years. Would have been interesting to see how much his role would have been expanded last year if he didn't get hurt.

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Hines ddidnt really have a Holmes or Hine in front of him to fight for playing time his 1st 2 years. Would have been interesting to see how much his role would have been expanded last year if he didn't get hurt.

Of course, immediately after they drafted Hines in the 3rd round in 1998, the team used high first round draft picks on WR's in back-to-back years (Troy Edwards 13th overall in 1999 and Plaxico Burress 8th overall in 2000).

D Rock
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Didn't Sweed also get some Lasik done during the one offseason...and then soon after tear his Achilles? If so, we still haven't seen how he does with that new set of eyes.

And hey...if this guy can turn it around:

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mike+Williams+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Chicago+Bears+nxb zcBqog-3l.jpg

then Sweed can too!

Oviedo
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Didn't Sweed also get some Lasik done during the one offseason...and then soon after tear his Achilles? If so, we still haven't seen how he does with that new set of eyes.

And hey...if this guy can turn it around:

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mike+Williams+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Chicago+Bears+nxb zcBqog-3l.jpg

then Sweed can too!

Everything I read was that before the Achilles injury Sweed looked very good in OTAs. I agree that if Williams can blossom into a star then Sweed can too. It's up to him.

drprwnap
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Limas Sweed = BUST

aggiebones
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
He's been mediocre when healthy, chokes in the limelight and has had some sturdy injuries since then. He lets go find Bruce Davis too and see about giving him another chance. Maybe Ricardo Colclough is available too.
Let the busts go. We were lucky enough to find some good young WRs recently, Sanders and Brown. Focus there.

feltdizz
06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I hate to sound so negative but I have zero faith in Sweed. I just wish the other players who are on the field producing could get the same leash Sweed gets. Timmons is still on a few peoples bust list but Sweed gets eternal love.

I know Sweed having a good season would help us but damn.... We have guys producing who get no love.

NJ-STEELER
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I hate to sound so negative but I have zero faith in Sweed. I just wish the other players who are on the field producing could get the same leash Sweed gets. Timmons is still on a few peoples bust list but Sweed gets eternal love.

I know Sweed having a good season would help us but damn.... We have guys producing who get no love.

right now, he is a bust.

anything he hopefully winds up giving us is a plus

hawaiiansteel
06-10-2011, 01:58 AM
for some reason, Limas just seems to lack the technical skills required to properly catch a football...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200810/sweed1_500.jpg

Slapstick
06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
He's had to deal with a lot of adversity...some of it his own making....

But, with no WR drafted, Limas will be given every opportunity to make the team and contribute...

What he is able to do with the opportunity will be up to him...

If he can contribute, he becomes a great complement to the WR corps, bringing some different skills and attributes from the others...

If he can't, nobody will notice...the Steelers have made it to 2 SBs with no contribution from him...