PDA

View Full Version : Hines in a cast??

Djfan
06-08-2011, 12:19 AM
My wife and mother in law (both HUGE Steelers fans!!!) both said that today they saw Hines on TV in a leg cast.

What's up with that?

PSU_dropout43
06-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Sign Plax!

rpmpit
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Heard him on the radio a few days ago and he said he just had minor thumb surgery.

Leg cast?? Probably not related to the thumb surgery :D

Just guessing...but maybe it was old video of a past injury?? (didn't we used to have a praying hands emoticon??)

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Perhaps AngryAsian broke his leg and your family members got them confused. :wink:

BradshawsHairdresser
06-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Stress fracture from dancing too much. :lol:

Might give Sweed an opening. If he's not dancing too much. :D

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Perhaps AngryAsian broke his leg and your family members got them confused. :wink:

well, Filipinos and Korean/African Americans are hard to tell apart... :D

Djfan
06-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I knew the brainiacs on this site would have the answer!

hawaiiansteel
06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
View From The Press Box

Ward healthy and 'on call'

June 15th, 2011

Well, here is what you do when the lockout is nearing its 100th day: you follow chats such as the one that Hines Ward conducted Wednesday afternoon on NFL.com.

The best question may have come from Dre in Balitmore. He asked Ward what he liked about Baltimore and the Ravens -- and Dre said he was giving Ward a chance to take his “hatred” of arguably the most reviled Steeler ever in Baltimore down a level.

Ward’s response? “Dre, calm down! Don’t hate! I love Baltimore. There’s nothing greater than beating Baltimore in Baltimore. LOL!

Zing!

Here is what else Ward, who recently had surgery to repair ligament damage in his left thumb, had to say during his chat.

On his health
“My health is good. Feel good and I'm ready to start the season. I feel like a doctor on call, and I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go out there and compete and hopefully make another run at the Super Bowl.”

On how his stint on “Dancing With the Stars” will help him on the football field
“It definitely helped me speed up my footwork and hopefully that carries over into running routes.”

On how the Bengals will fare in 2011, assuming there is a season
“I love them picking A.J. Green cuz he’s a Georgia guy. But I don’t know about the stability of their team with Carson Palmer maybe not coming back and Chad Ochocinco, too, maybe.”

On the hardest hitter against who he has ever played
“They’re all tough, but I wish Ray Lewis would retire so I could play against Baltimore just once without him. LOL.”

On if his post-playing plans include coaching
“Teaching is easy, but I want to try the media side of things first because I could still be close to the game without being emotionally involved in the outcome.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/06/15/ward-healthy-and-on-call/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

MadSteel
06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Steelers WR Hines Ward: 'I definitely don't want to be Brett Favre'

Steelers WR Hines Ward isn't ready for a full-time dancing career just yet.

But he is looking forward to a 14th NFL season -- and maybe a few more -- after Year 13 produced 59 catches for 755 yards and two postseason TDs, including one in Pittsburgh's Super Bowl XLV loss to the Packers.

"Deion Sanders told me, he said, 'Play 'til the wheels fall off, because once it's gone, it's gone.' You don't want to miss a day wondering, you know, if I still could have played," Ward said on NFL Network's NFL Total Access on Wednesday.

However don't expect No. 86 to mull his future year to year.

"I definitely don't want to be Brett Favre," chuckled Ward.

"I'm gonna play as long as the Pittsburgh Steelers want me to play. I don't want to play for any other team. And, you know, If God's willing -- if I stay healthy, I stay in shape -- I'll play a couple more years."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... tt-favre/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/06/steelers-wr-hines-ward-i-definitely-dont-want-to-be-brett-favre/1)

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Hines Ward: The Story of a Man Fighting Old Man Time

by John Stephens on Jun 17, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1443334/GYI0063057754.jpg

For as long as I have been a Steelers fan, Hines Ward has been the backbone to the team. A fierce competitor that you did not have to worry whether he would show up. Hines Ward has brought his tenacity each and every day for 13 straight seasons and won the heart of every Steelers fan. When anyone mentions the Steelers, Ward's huge grin is inevitably one of the first cerebral images that arises in our thoughts. He is a microcosm of the city of Pittsburgh. A hard worker that never quits no matter the odds.

He IS Pittsburgh.

Over his long and glorious career, Ward has garnered what many of us consider Hall of Fame numbers. In his 13 seasons, Ward has climbed the all time NFL record leaders in several key categories. He ranks T-8th (Randy Moss) for receptions with 954, 21st in yards with 11,702, and 19th in receiving TDs with 83. With 1 to 2 more decent seasons, he could jump to top 10 in all 3 categories. However, one of Ward's best attributes cannot be quantified by statistics. That is, Ward has been the most relentless and savage blocker the NFL has ever seen. He is one of the few WRs that can square up and hit a LB in the mouth (no pun intended Mr. Keith Rivers). Then if you top it off with his playoff numbers, 2nd in receptions all time (88) 5th in yards (1,181), and T-3rd (multiple players) in receiving TDs (10), you have a serious HoF candidate.

Unfortunately, Hines Ward cannot play forever. There is one opponent he cannot defeat and that is Father Time. Eventually, his time will come and he will have to hang up his cleats. I am not sure when Hines Ward will retire or what we can expect from him over the next few seasons. However, we can take a look at what WRs 35+ have done in the league and get a rough estimate of how he will produce. Join me after the jump.

Since 1966 (the beginning of the Super Bowl Era), there has been 111 WRs that have recorded at least 1 reception that were 35+ or older. The list is populated by several familiar names like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Joey Galloway, Derrick Mason, etc. In those 111 seasons, 16 times, or 14.4%, the player had over 1,000 yards. Irving Fryar tops that list with his 1,316 yard season in 1997 as a 35 year old. Additionally, 33 times (29.7%) a player had 5 or more TDs. Only T.O. in 2008 (35) recorded double digit TDs with 10. Moreover, none of these old guys has ever broke 100 receptions in a season, although Chris Carter came close with 96 during the 2000 season. Outside of that, 9 times a player recorded 80+ receptions in a season.

Let's take a look at the averages for these 111 seasons:

Games Games Started Rec. Yards Y/R Y/G TDs
12.8 8.7 37.7 510.0 13.5 39.8 2.9

The most surprising numbers in my opinion are the games and games started. We all know the adage: the older you are the more susceptible to injury you become. However, out of these 111 seasons of 35+ year old players they are averaging just under 13 games on the active roster out of a 16 game season. In fact, in about half of those seasons the player was active for all 16 games. Equally impressive, is that some of these players were playing at such a high level that they are still starting. About 9 games started out of a 16 game season is nothing to scoff at.

The question is: what can we expect from Hines Ward for the next few seasons? Lets start by saying, I do not expect him to have a 80 reception season with over 1,000 yards and 7 touchdowns. The phenom, Jerry Rice, was the only player who will ever do that. But, Ward is a competitor, and I do not expect him to have a complete flub of a season. If he can play around those averages for the next two seasons, he can finish out his career with around 1030 receptions, 12,722 yards, and 89 touchdowns. That would put him in the top 10 for receptions and touchdowns, but leave him about 600-1,000 yards away in the third category.

What I have learned from Hines Ward's career however, is that he is anything but average. In my honest, but slightly bias opinion, I believe he has one less above average season left in his tank. He could very well put up 50 receptions, 750 yards, and 5 touchdowns again this season. I believe this is possible because Ward has never relied on his speed to beat a defender. He is just a superb route runner that is always in tune with his QB. When you need a big play, somehow he finds a way to get open.

#86 on the field, forever top 5 in our Steeler hearts.

Random old guy WR facts:

Jerry Rice is the only WR in the history of the NFL to record a reception over the age of 40. Did I mention he recorded 92 receptions, 1,211 yards, and 7 touchdowns that year? Oh yeah, and then he had decent seasons at 41 and 42.

Joey Galloway had the best Y/R in this study with 17.79 yards per catch in 2007 as a 36 year old geezer.

For reference, in the first 3 seasons of his career Santonio Holmes had 156 receptions, 2,587 yards, and 15 touchdowns while in his early 20s. Compare that to Jerry Rice who had 185 receptions, 2,509 yards, and 12 TDs in his early 40s.

Only 2 of these guys have recorded 100 yard games in the playoffs. Rice and Carter both had 120+ games, with Rice's 183 yard game being the best.

T.O. and James Lofton are the only two players to record 200 yard games, both of which were 220 or just over.

The most receptions in a game is 13 by Tim Brown in 2002.

Two WRs and one TE, over 34, had 3 or more TDs in a single game. Those were Rice, Irving Fryar, and Shannon Sharpe.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/6/17/2228660/hines-ward-the-story-of-a-man-fighting-old-man-time#storyjump)

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Hines Ward has brought his tenacity each and every day for 13 straight seasons and won the heart of every Steelers fan.

Well, not every Steelers fan. After all, he is DIVORCED!?!? and he also had a partial stake in a bar with a drug dealer (or some other stupid crap like that).

fordfixer
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Hines Ward has brought his tenacity each and every day for 13 straight seasons and won the heart of every Steelers fan.

Well, not every Steelers fan. After all, he is DIVORCED!?!? and he also had a partial stake in a bar with a drug dealer (or some other stupid crap like that).

I heard he competed on DWTS :loser :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM

That's just a rumor. :wink:

AzStillers1989
06-18-2011, 03:17 AM

That's just a rumor. :wink:
Hahahaha

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Ward Named Godwill Ambassador To Korea

June 21, 2011

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hinesward.jpg?w=400

(Credit: KDKA)

NEW YORK (KDKA) – A huge honor was bestowed upon Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward Tuesday.

Ward is now a Goodwill Ambassador for a partnership between the United States and Korea.

He was honored at a special ceremony at the United Nations in New York City.

Dozens of people attended the special ceremony this afternoon including officials with the Korean government and the arts community, families of Korean adoptees, and Korean language students from a high school in the Bronx.

Through his Helping Hands Foundation, Ward has dedicated his spare time to helping under-privileged kids in Pittsburgh and Atlanta.

In 2006, he expanded his program to Korea, which helps target bi-racial discrimination.

Ward said this new ambassadorship will not just strengthen America’s relationship with Korea. It will also give a voice to kids who struggle with discrimination every day.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/06/ ... -to-korea/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/06/21/ward-named-goodwill-ambassador-to-korea/)

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I was thinking this happened last year. Similar, I guess, but not exactly.

Barack Obama appoints Steelers' Hines Ward to presidential council
By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
Updated 09/17/2010 03:31 PM

First Dan Rooney. Now Hines Ward.

There's another Pittsburgh Steelers connection to the White House.

President Barack Obama appointed Ward, the Pro Bowl receiver and Super Bowl XL MVP, to the President's Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Ward, whose mother is Korean, has long been an advocate for biracial children.

Rooney, the Steelers owner who supported Obama's campaign, became Ambassador to Ireland in 2008.

-- Jarrett Bell

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/barack-obama-appoints-steelers-hines-ward-to-presidential-council/1

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Hines Ward has right tools for Craftsman

Friday, June 24, 2011
By Sara Bauknecht, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201106/hines_kym2_160.jpg

Kym Johnson and Hines Ward celebrate their victory on "Dancing With the Stars."

From Super Bowl MVP to TV ballroom dance champ and now Craftsman spokesman and honorary Goodwill Ambassador -- Hines Ward's time off from football as the NFL lockout continues has been anything but downtime.

Since winning season 12 of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" in May with professional dance partner Kym Johnson, the Steelers wide receiver has garnered attention for more than just catching passes.

The reality show "definitely created some more fanfare," he said. "I thought I was known in football world, but now I'm being recognized by females all over."

His athlete-to-Astaire transformation not only surprised his family ("They were shocked," he said) but also piqued the interest of Craftsman, which approached Mr. Ward shortly after he took home the Mirror Ball trophy to promote its new interactive online series "SCREW• D: Where Survival Comes Down to the Right Tools."

The series, which will run from mid-August to late October, follows novice handymen and women as they compete in do-it-yourself projects for the chance to win up to $50,000. People can learn more about the series or sign up through July 7 for a chance to participate at http://www.craftsmanscrewd.com.

"The promotion is similar to 'DWTS,' " he said. "Taking a guy like myself who's never danced a day in his life to going all the way and winning the Mirror Ball trophy. ... I want to just help people go out there and let them know if I can go out there and dance, that they can go out there and win this competition."

He will have another chance to inspire because he was recently named an honorary Goodwill Ambassador to the Republic of Korea. Mr. Ward, who was born in South Korea, will help bridge ties between the country and the United States. The task goes hand in hand with his Helping Hands Foundation, which brings biracial children from Korea to the United States to experience Pittsburgh, a football game or a trip to New York City.

"It's just being the face of helping the relationship between the two countries become better than what it already is," he said.

Mr. Ward's charity keeps him busy -- so much so that he doesn't plan to attend Ben Roethlisberger's wedding slated for July 23. "I wanted to [attend], but I have a foundation thing. ... But I'm going to send them my blessings and my present."

Mr. Roethlisberger also has yet to tap his teammate's dance expertise for the reception. "If he wants Kym Johnson to teach him that first dance, she's more than welcome to do it."

When Mr. Ward isn't spreading the word about Craftsman or Korea-America relations, he is rehabbing from thumb surgery and trying to stay in shape. But he doesn't foresee him or other Steelers making dance a regular part of their training regimen.

"It definitely will help you with your coordination and your footwork, there's no question about that," he said. "But as far as guys signing up for it, I don't know."

Now Mr. Ward is just waiting to receive the phone call that the NFL lockout has ended, he said.

"Things are heading in the right direction. I'm thinking something will get done before training camp. Probably after the Fourth of July because everybody's going to be on the holiday and stuff like that, so give it about two or three weeks."

Although he is eager to get back on the football field, he's pleased with how he's been filling the wait.

"It's just been a great off-season for me, even though we're going through a crisis in NFL lockout. ... For me, the sky's the limit."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11175/1155828-67.stm