PDA

View Full Version : A Little Love for Big Ben

Jooser
06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8202e292/article/no-contest-big-ben-is-the-class-of-qbs-drafted-in-2004?module=HP_cp2)

No contest: Big Ben is the class of QBs drafted in 2004

US Presswire
Ben Roethlisberger (left), Philip Rivers (center) and Eli Manning were the class of the 2004 NFL Draft.

Eli Manning (No. 1), Philip Rivers (No. 4) and Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11) were the first quarterbacks selected in the 2004 NFL Draft, and all three have become top-flight NFL players. But if you had to pick only one to lead your team, who would it be?

We asked our experts that question, and they came up with a different order than did NFL players, who ranked Rivers (yet to be announced but inside the top 40) higher than Roethlisberger (41st) in NFL Network's "The Top 100 Players of 2011" and left Manning completely off the list.

Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Roethlisberger's résumé can't be touched
Ben Roethlisberger would be my pick. He's a two-time Super Bowl champion and has proven to be a clutch player in critical situations.

Although his game isn't refined or polished from a skill standpoint, Roethlisberger repeatedly finds ways to terrorize opponents with his improvisational skills. Whether it's shrugging off rushers or buying extra time with his underrated athleticism, Roethlisberger's ability to create big gains out of broken plays makes him one of the more difficult quarterbacks to defend. Throw in the fact that he has won over 70 percent of his regular-season starts and owns a 10-3 playoff record, and it's hard to make a case against Roethlisberger being the best of the bunch.

Vic Carucci
NFL.com I'll take Big Ben any time
I'd rather have Ben Roethlisberger as my quarterback, because he has a broader range of skills than the others and the most Super Bowl rings. His ability to make dynamic plays with his passing arm and with his feet (and usually both) sets him apart not only from Rivers and Manning, but from most every quarterback in the league. And few quarterbacks have his uncanny knack for extending plays and finding a way to make something good happen when all seems lost.

Elliot Harrison
NFL.com Steeler's strength, streetball mentality make him best
It's Roethlisberger. He's not a better talent than Rivers, or even more productive. What he brings that Rivers doesn't, and Manning surely doesn't, is the ability to make that John Elway and Roger Staubach-esque streetball play.

Country strong like Steve McNair was, Roethlisberger is so hard to bring down, unlike Rivers and Manning, that he provides the Steelers' offense with more opportunities to make big plays downfield. In that vein, an underrated part of Roethlisberger's game is his ability to make plays with his feet. He's a little more nimble than you'd think.

Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Manning, Rivers need to prove themselves
Manning should be in the top 100 in my opinion, but if I have to pick a quarterback from these three, I'll take Ben Roethlisberger. He has been to three Super Bowls, he plays big in big games and he's a winner. I love the quarterback class of 2004, which also includes Houston's Matt Schaub (a third-round pick), but until one does what Roethlisberger has done, it's hard not to take him.

Steve Wyche
NFL.com Roethlisberger cashes in during crunch time
As productive and as good as Rivers might be, I'll take Ben Roethlisberger all day. Big Ben is a proven winner and, in my opinion, is one of the most clutch players in the NFL. He might not ever put up the stats that Rivers has, but when he's headed into the final quarter -- even if he's 9-of-20 passing -- his teammates and coaches know that he'll be money when it matters. (LOVE THAT)

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Philip Rivers is ranked ahead of Ben, that sounds like an insult to me.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Philip Rivers is ranked ahead of Ben, that sounds like an insult to me.

I like it when our players get insulted. Then they go out and shove it right in the face of the popular kids. Ben 41? Wallace and Hines and Heath not on the list at all? I love it. Slap them in the face, and watch how they shred though the players that didn't vote for them this year.

sentinel33
06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah. As if not winning the super bowl isnt enough motivation.

While Ben and the rest of the lot that got snubbed won't say anything publicly about this list, they will tuck it in there collective back pocket and pull it out when they need it most. The Steelers have been top notch for the past decade and for Wallace and some of these others to not even get on the list makes me not even recognize it.

It's not Steeler Nation anymore. It's Steeler-Hater Nation. And I'm quite fine with it.

Here We Go!

skyhawk
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Philip Rivers more "productive" than Ben? Please.

Rivers has more skill than Ben? Please.

Ben doesn't have near the receiving corps Rivers does, or the OL. Not to mention 8 games in cushy balmy weather.

Once again, it's people's fascination with fantasy football stats ruining the game.

birtikidis
06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
question..
Tony Homo got permission for Jerry Jones to be at his wedding this summer from the NFL, did BEN get that same courtesy for his wedding?

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
question..
Tony Homo got permission for Jerry Jones to be at his wedding this summer from the NFL, did BEN get that same courtesy for his wedding?

Maybe Ben didn't invite any Rooneys after they did not speak out against his unjustified NFL suspension???

:stirpot

Sorry...I was channelling Crash there for a second... :wink:

birtikidis
06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
question..

Maybe Ben didn't invite any Rooneys after they did not speak out against his unjustified NFL suspension???

:stirpot

Sorry...I was channelling Crash there for a second... :wink:
maybe they see the writing on the wall. I mean HINES is DIVORCED how can BEN manage a relationship!

hawaiiansteel
06-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Hard Hits

By LaVar Arrington

Ben Roethlisberger seems to have learned a hard lesson

I’m in Buffalo for Jim Kelly’s 12th Annual Golf Outing and last evening I had a chance to hang out with old teammates like Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. I also had the chance to hang out with some new faces, but the one who stood out the most to me was Ben Roethlisberger.

Few football players outside of Albert Haynesworth made more headlines for the wrong reasons in 2010. I read the reports and heard about the repentance of Ben after all the drama last off season in Georgia.

I have to tell you: I’ve met him before and felt as though he was a pretty arrogant guy, but last evening my perception of him totally changed.

Ben was pleasant and I found him to be very down to earth, in an environment where men and women were were falling all over him for his attention. I’m not trying to justify the allegations against him, but I clearly saw how he could find himself in a sticky wicket of a situation. He was chased the entire evening.

He not only maintained being an easy person to walk up to and talk with, but in a party where granny’s cough medicine was taking effect on everyone in the room, he walked around with his bottle of water the entire night.

A lesson is only a lesson if you learn from it. To me his conduct was so impressive it compelled me to do an entry on him.

I always pull for guys to do the right things and, speaking as a member of the media world, so many times a good positive story doesn’t get written because controversial topics dominate. But I had to write about this.

By LaVar Arrington | 06/06/2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/har ... _blog.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hard-hits/post/ben-roethlisberger-seems-to-have-learned-a-hard-lesson/2011/06/06/AGNJxEKH_blog.html)

RuthlessBurgher
06-20-2011, 10:05 AM
When the hell was Lavar Arrington teammates with Bruce Smith and Andre Reed?

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Big Ben: Right foot injury 'doing really good'

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 25, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-06-24/0625RoethlisCAP-a.jpg

Losing in the Super Bowl isn't the only pain Ben Roethlisberger has had to overcome this offseason.

The Steelers quarterback said a broken foot hobbled him so much toward the end of last season that "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."

The good news, Roethlisberger said, is his right foot — he broke a bone in it and later aggravated the injury — has almost fully healed and that the NFL lockout has allowed the eighth-year veteran to rest it more than usual.

The potentially unsettling news for Roethlisberger and the Steelers: There is a chance he may need surgery on his foot at some point, an option Roethlisberger considered after last season.

"I could have had surgery, but according to the doctors it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was. It was better off trying not to do anything," Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review on Friday. "It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear. If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

But, Roethlisberger added, "It's doing really good. It's healed up. Obviously, it helps when I'm not cutting and planting and doing all of these different activities. It's really come a long way. I haven't had too many problems with it recently."

Roethlisberger reinjured his right foot late last November at Buffalo. He wore a cleat fitted with two metal plates for the rest of the season, and that included practices as well as games.

That was one of several injuries Roethlisberger played through in 2010, when he came back from a four-game suspension to throw for 3,200 yards, 17 touchdowns and just five interceptions while leading the Steelers to Super Bowl XLV.

The 31-25 loss to the Green Bay Packers still lingers for Roethlisberger, especially since the Steelers got the ball back late in the game but could only manage one first down before turning the ball over on downs.

Roethlisberger said time has helped take away some of the sting from the loss. But, Roethlisberger added, he still has "a lot of what-ifs."

"I don't know if it will ever really go away," he said, "unless you can get back and win one."

Roethlisberger has used the lockout to rest his arm and foot, but he hasn't exactly been idle. He organized and led several de facto practices away from Steelers headquarters. Roethlisberger also has worked on holding the ball higher before he throws a pass.

Roethlisberger instituted that change last season, and he said the tweak in his technique shortened his throwing motion and alleviated some of the strain on his right arm.

"I want to continue to do that because I felt like it made me a better passer and also helped protect my elbow," Roethlisberger said.

The offseason has been a slow one — so much so that one of the more magnified stories has been LaMarr Woodley predicting Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco won't win a Super Bowl because of the Steelers.

"I keep trying to tell him, 'You've got to stop that because they don't hit you, they come take it out on me,'" Roethlisberger said with a laugh.

What may be just as amusing to Roethlisberger, or at least the Steelers, is that in a recent poll of the top 100 players in the NFL, Roethlisberger came in at No. 41. One of only 10 quarterbacks to win multiple Super Bowls, Roethlisberger had six QBs ranked ahead of him in the poll conducted by the NFL Network and voted on by active players.

"He doesn't fit the mold of a Peyton Manning or (Tom) Brady, but he wins games," Steelers right tackle Willie Colon said. "If you ask any star player in the NFL that knows about Ben Roethlisberger, that's played against him, he has that 'it' factor."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1QFuz40x0 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_743859.html#ixzz1QFuz40x0)

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Ben: Having a great time with the kids

JUNE 24TH, 2011 BY ADMIN

Several parents and grandparents who accompanied their youngsters to Ben’s Football Camp this past week sent emails with their observations. Here are just a few:

http://bigben7.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011footballcamp_51.jpg

As we headed north out of Virginia for Pittsburgh, we really had no idea what to expect out of Big Ben’s football camp. We had never been to any camp like that, but our eleven year old son Jack and eight year old daughter Hannah were very excited to actually see Ben and play on the same field. When we got there, the first thing we noticed as parents was how well the camp was run. Imagine being tasked with making sure 500 kids have a fun, safe adventure for 3 ½ hours on two different days in the summer heat of June! They pulled it off in spades. From the combine-style drills and 7 on 7 games, to the awards and guest appearances of other Steelers like Coach Tomlin, Brett Keisel, Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Emmanuel Sanders, they kept things moving along.

“Ben was obviously having a great time with the kids. He was running around cheering them on and jumping into games. The amazing thing was that he threw a pass to every single kid at the camp – nearly 500 passes. I was thinking that if he throws an average of 30 passes in each regular season game, that would be about 480 passes for the season. He threw more than that in a half hour at the camp. Our kids caught both of their passes from Ben and by the end of the two days they were tired but very happy we came.

“Finally, about an hour after everybody else had left the field and gone home, Ben came out of one of the field offices. He had been interviewing with a television crew. I am sure he was exhausted and his arm had to be killing him, but he graciously came over and signed a couple of footballs for the kids and posed for a picture. It was the last of over 500 pictures we took at the camp, but we think it was the best.

“We will definitely be back next year. Of course we’ll have an entire season of Big Ben and Steelers football before then, which will make the wait that much easier.” – The Dupray Family

“My nine year old son Ulrich was one of the children that received the scholarship to the football camp this past week. Ulrich is part of the Big Brother and Big Sister program. Your camp was wonderful and very organized. Ulrich had a blast going there. He loved Head Coach Lynn and getting to meet Mr. Roethlisberger and all the players. He was very excited to meet Mr. Charlie Batch. He even tried to tackle Mr. Keisel. Needless to say Mr. Keisel didn’t feel a thing.

“I never thought that Ulrich would be able to do something like this. So, I can not thank you enough for giving him this opportunity. To see his face out there having the time of his life was worth everything to me. Thank you so much. Now, I”ve just got to get him to stop throwing the football at the cat.” – Tricia R. Staley

http://bigben7.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011footballcamp_zack_wingard.jpg

“I took my two grandsons (Brian and Zack Wingard) to the Ben Roethlisberger camp this week—as a university professor I would give you an A+–the camp was exceptional–well organized, well run and something both informative and enjoyable for all the campers–well worth every penny–good work!” - Bob Regan

“I just want to say how impressed I was with all the interaction that Ben had with the kids – the way he went out of his way to make it special for them. In addition to signing all the autographs and passing to all the kids – he was in their games, interacting, and just enjoying playing with them. It was obvious that he truly does this for the kids and that he enjoys it.” – Janet Parker

“After all of us having to endure all the negativity Ben received, it was touching to see these kids so in awe of him and appreciative of what he did for them (throwing 500 or more passes to make sure each camper got one was awesome). It wasn’t about last year..or losing a Super Bowl…or what was going on in Ben’s personal life..or the darn lockout…for those kids it was obviously about having 2 days of fun with their friend Big Ben..all the other stuff didn’t matter. Looked to me like Ben felt the same.” – T. Tierney

http://bigben7.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011footballcamp_4.jpg

“The Ben Roethlisberger Football Camp was a great success! It was wonderful! The kids all had a great time. My grandsons loved it and can’t wait to go back! Ben was wonderful with the kids…such an encouraging person! I had to laugh at one point when Ben was playing with some of the younger campers during a 7 on 7 game. All the kids were yelling “Ben, Ben, Ben” wanting him to throw them the ball. They reminded me of little baby birds all trying to get the mother bird to feed them! What a hoot!

“What a great surprise, also, to have so many Steelers come to the camp during both days! We had Emmanuel Sanders, Trai Essex, Willie Colon, Charlie Batch, Mike Tomlin, Tyler Grisham and Brett Keisel! They all joined in either speaking to the kids or participating in the drill sessions and 7 on 7 games. I can’t believe camp time has come and gone but the kids have great memories now!

“I took over 500 pictures over both days. Of all the pictures I loaded, there is one that is my favorite. It’s not quite half way through the album and it’s of a little boy reaching his arms up to Ben. It speaks volumes!” – Anita Doddroe

http://bigbennews.com/

skyhawk
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Where's TMZ and ESPN on more positive news for Ben? :roll:

Jooser
06-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Where's TMZ and ESPN on more positive news for Ben? :roll:

Unfortunately, that kind of news doesn't sell for folks in the business of gossip. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Now, I've just got to get him to stop throwing the football at the cat.

Since Goodell already set a precedent in the Michael Vick case, Ben Roethlisberger will now be suspended for being an accessory to animal abuse. :wink: