PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time To Consider Ben As One Of NFL’s Best?

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Is It Time To Consider Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger One Of The NFL’s Best?

Posted by Robert D. Cobb

http://gridirongrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ben-roethlisberger1-263x300.jpg

When you think of the greatest all-time NFL quarterbacks to ever play the game, Johnny Unitis and Joe Montana are usually first that come to mind.

Precision, arm strength, quarterback rating, completion percentage, total passing yards, touchdowns to interceptions ratio, number of sacks, mobility and the ability to get outside of the pocket and weave through traffic are all important. But leadership, determination, wins and Super Bowl rings will always trump everything else.

http://gridirongrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ben-Roethlisberger.jpg

But what about Big Ben? For all of his off-the-field troubles from getting involved in a motorcycle accident to allegedly sexual assaulting a Nevada hotel employee and a Georgia college student, Ben Roethlisberger’s on-the-field play makes for a compelling case for him to be considered one of the all-time best.

Fans and critics alike often mention his immaturity, propensity to throw costly interceptions and for holding the ball too long, but Roethlisberger may be one of the most under-appreciated all-time great quarterbacks to ever play.

Consider that the 6’5 241-pounder has won two Super Bowls (XL and XLIII), one more than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. He also possesses the record for most wins for a rookie with 13 and the second-best winning percentage at .712, only behind Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.

Is it time to finally put Big Ben’s name up there with the likes of Brady and Manning?

That depends on your point of view.

Despite missing four games due to violating the NFL’s Personal Code of Conduct in 2010, Roethlisberger was still able to pass for 3,200 yards and toss 17 touchdowns on the season and help lead the Steelers to Super Bowl XLV.

While many will contest that Big Ben is the fortunate beneficiary of playing in a favorable run-oriented system that featured Hall Of Fame running back, Jerome Bettis, Super Bowl MVP’s at wideout in Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, and a stout defense that future Hall of Famers in linebacker, James Harrison and safety, Troy Polamalu—that Roethlisberger has not had to win games by himself.

I have to respectfully disagree with the nay-sayers here, because the facts point to him winning games when it counts.

In the clutch.

According to Wikipedia, Roethlisberger has the most comebacks, 19 and game-winning drives at 25 than any player in the first seven years in the league. The most memorable was his game winning touchdown pass to wideout, Santonio Holmes in Super Bowl XLIII. Pittsburgh would win it’s sixth Super Bowl, 27-23.

Since being drafted 11th overall out of Miami (Ohio), Roethlisberger has passed for 22,502 yards, thrown 144 touchdowns and tossed 86 interceptions. Roethlisberger has also completed 63.1% of his passes and posted a QB rating of 92.6 during his eight years under center for the Steelers.

Among his many accomplishments are holding the NFL record for most wins by a quarterback his first five years in the league at 51, the highest QB rating ever by a rookie at 98.1, being the youngest QB to ever win a Super Bowl at the age of 23 and being only the second quarterback, along with Peyton Manning, to produce three games with a perfect passer rating.

Roethlisberger also has a 10-3 record in the postseason and is one of only four quarterbacks to have four starts in the post-season in his first four years in the league. The others include Bernie Kosar, Eli Manning and Donovan McNabb.

Not bad for the much less-heralded QB of the class of 2004, which includes Phillip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers and the aforementioned Eli Manning of the New York Giants. Stats also ascertain that Roethlisberger is the head of the class, surpassing both Manning and Rivers in winning percentage at 71% as opposed to Manning’s 59% and Rivers 67%, as well as Super Bowl rings, where Big Ben has two, Manning possesses one and Rivers has none.

For a majority of Steeler Nation, Super Bowl rings count more than mere stats.

While many debate that Roethlisberger is not the same class as Tom Brady, his two Super Bowl wins along with his heart-stopping fourth quarter comebacks give him a solid argument to be mentioned in the same breath as one of the greats.

Follow Gridiron Grit and Robert Cobb on Twitter.

http://gridirongrit.com/nfl-is-it-time- ... -the-best/ (http://gridirongrit.com/nfl-is-it-time-to-consider-pittsburgh-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-one-of-the-best/)

BradshawsHairdresser
06-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Ben has been one of the NFL's best for several years. Anyone just now figuring that out is late to the party, but I'll welcome them anyway.

However, just because Ben is one of the NFL's best, doesn't mean he doesn't have room for improvement. Hopefully, he is of the mindset that he needs to work hard to improve his game. I would love it if he raised it to the level where he was universally acknowledged as THE best QB.

Flasteel
06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
:Clap :Clap :Clap :tt2

Discipline of Steel
06-04-2011, 09:57 PM
a stout defense that future Hall of Famers in linebacker, James Harrison and safety, Troy Polamalu

First time i ever heard that. Has certainly had some Hall of Fame seasons and if he has a couple more will be worth consideration. Same with Ben, I wont worry about it too much until their careers are over.

steelblood
06-05-2011, 11:08 AM
yeah, troy will be in the hall of fame. I'm not sure about harrison. He has a shot.

Oviedo
06-05-2011, 09:04 PM
The only reason paople can't get it in their heads that Ben is elite is because his style is so unorthodox. Elite to talking heads and their brainwashed masses are Marino, Manning, Brees, etc. Classic drop back QBs. Ben also gambles a litlle too much to be considered elite but the results speak for themseleves. He is the heart and soul of our offense and he can carry this team when he has too.

Scarletfire1970
06-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Apparently not. He's only ranked the 41st best player right now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
I think Ben is one of the Top 5 QBs in the league. That being said...He had a chance to put himself into the elite tier right next to Brady when he got the ball back with 2 minutes against GB. He let that one get away from him. I have no doubt in my mind that if he did his 2 minute thing and the Steelers pulled it off...We would never be having this discussion again about BB the rest of his career. Can he still put himself there??? Absolutely, but he had another shot and didn't come through. Getting another chance is one thing...Not everyone gets multiple shots. But BB is at the 1-1 stage and the "Next" one will sway the opinions of many who Ben Roethlisberger really is. Here's hoping the next time I talk about this...BB is 2-1! :tt2

feltdizz
06-06-2011, 09:36 AM
If Ben didn't have the off field problems and the Steeler logo on his helmet he would be considered on of the greats already.

His style is unique for a QB so it will always get knocked but Ben will be one of the greats.

MY only disagreement is the SB wins... I don't think Ben has to win more SB's to get to the great label. As long as he is productive for the rest of his career he is a top 5 QB.

If Drew BRees gets another SB I wouldn't put him ahead of Ben or equal to him.

sentinel33
06-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Silly to me how this keeps coming up.

There is no arguement in my mind. Don't care how one gets it done. Peyton-style, Vick-style, Brady-style. Or Roethlisberger-style.

When I talk to people about The Steelers I hear alot about how great he is. How he was one drive from getting ANOTHER one. How lucky we are to have him-despite some of the faults.

It's past time to recognize Ben.

ikestops85
06-06-2011, 12:45 PM

There is no arguement in my mind. Don't care how one gets it done. Peyton-style, Vick-style, Brady-style. Or Roethlisberger-style.

When I talk to people about The Steelers I hear alot about how great he is. How he was one drive from getting ANOTHER one. How lucky we are to have him-despite some of the faults.

:Agree

It's kinda funny with Ben. During the season he seems to get a lot of respect but then the off-season rolls around and people tend to just look at stats. Ben is not the stat whore that QBs like Rivers and Peyton are. Even though we don't have that strong running game that we are known for once we get a lead in the 2nd half we try and sit on the ball. When we do throw it is usually 3rd and long. Not exactly an ideal situation for the QB. This tends to bring Ben's stats down.

Another problem Ben is faced with is we are rarely down by a lot of points so Ben doesn't get the chance for cheap yards and TDs like some of the other QBs.

I think Ben is a great QB and fits our system perfectly. He has room for improvement though like some others have stated. I really don't care where people rank Ben as long as he puts on the black 'n gold uni every week. :tt2 :tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM

It's kinda funny with Ben. During the season he seems to get a lot of respect but then the off-season rolls around and people tend to just look at stats.

This is so true and football is a game that can't be defined by numbers like baseball. Football is an eyeball game.

Ignorant people try to say that Ben is not as good as two rings would suggest because we have such a strong running game and O line. Neither is even close to true anymore.

These same people claim that the Steelers only win because of a great D and that any QB could win on this team. Yet they seem to forget that other QBs would be running for their lives on every play.

Do the same people say that Brady isn't that good because even Matt Cassel took the Pats to the playoffs when Brady went down? Cassel has not had nearly the same success in KC.

Ignorant people downgrade Ben's two rings by saying that he played poorly in SB XL. Fair enough, but which 23 year old QBs played so much better in the SB?

Ignorant people look at the huge numbers put up by QBs such as Rivers, Brees, and Manning and claim that these numbers are superior to Ben's. How many games do these QBs play in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinatti, or Baltimore in December?

If Ben is a system QB then why does Mike Wallace have a 20.3 YPC in only two seasons?

And so on, and so on, and so on............

D Rock
06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Ben gets discredited for the strong running game...which must be fueled by a strong O-line...which naturally gives Ben a clean pocket to work from.

Except that everyone, even those in the media and outside of Pittsburgh, acknowledges that the Steelers O-line is subpar and probably the worst to ever start a Super Bowl (XLIII).

So why does the 'strong running game' still hold and get used against him?

HATERS!

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
He had a strong running game early in his career, but in recent years, not so much.

In 2004, the Steelers ranked 2nd in the NFL in rushing.
In 2005, the Steelers ranked 5th in the NFL in rushing.
In 2006, the Steelers ranked 10th in the NFL in rushing.
In 2007, the Steelers ranked 3rd in the NFL in rushing.
In 2008, the Steelers ranked 23rd in the NFL in rushing.
In 2009, the Steelers ranked 19th in the NFL in rushing.
In 2010, the Steelers ranked 11th in the NFL in rushing.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
He had a strong running game early in his career, but in recent years, not so much.

I am willing to bet that these YPG rankings are higher than the YPC carries which are a truer indication of effectiveness.

To take it one step further, let us not just rank our running game statistically, let us discuss what we have seen.

We have had a subpar line for at least 5 years - nobody will debate that.

We "like" the abilities of our RB, but I don't think that anyone would consider him elite - and this does not include his fumbling issues. There are a number of backs that I would put in front of him on my wish list, and there are even more that I would consider about even. I would put Mendenhall in the "pretty good, not bad, not special or unique" category.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM

I am willing to bet that these YPG rankings are higher than the YPC carries which are a truer indication of effectiveness.

To take it one step further, let us not just rank our running game statistically, let us discuss what we have seen.

We have had a subpar line for at least 5 years - nobody will debate that.

We "like" the abilities of our RB, but I don't think that anyone would consider him elite - and this does not include his fumbling issues. There are a number of backs that I would put in front of him on my wish list, and there are even more that I would consider about even. I would put Mendenhall in the "pretty good, not bad, not special or unique" category.

In 2004, the Steelers rushed for 4.0 yards per carry, which was 19th in the league (tied with the Raiders and Saints).
In 2005, the Steelers rushed for 4.0 yards per carry, which was 12th in the league (tied with the Saints, Rams, and Bucs).
In 2006, the Steelers rushed for 4.2 yards per carry, which was 11th in the league (tied with the Dolphins and Chiefs).
In 2007, the Steelers rushed for 4.2 yards per carry, which was 7th in the league (tied with the Cowboys, Chargers, and Bucs).
In 2008, the Steelers rushed for 3.7 yards per carry, which was 29th in the league (better than only the woeful Bengals, Cardinals, and Colts).
In 2009, the Steelers rushed for 4.2 yards per carry, which was 15th in the league (tied with the Falcons, Browns, and Broncos).
In 2010, the Steelers rushed for 4.1 yards per carry, which was 17th in the league (tied with the 49ers).

grotonsteel
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Michael Vick and Drew Brees ahead of Ben is a travesty. Ben should be top-10 player in the league.

grotonsteel
06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
The only reason paople can't get it in their heads that Ben is elite is because his style is so unorthodox. Elite to talking heads and their brainwashed masses are Marino, Manning, Brees, etc. Classic drop back QBs. Ben also gambles a litlle too much to be considered elite but the results speak for themseleves. He is the heart and soul of our offense and he can carry this team when he has too.

skyhawk
06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Name me ONE QB with Ben's poise, arm strength, scrambling ability, vision of the field while scrambling, pure desire to win and his ability to excel in the CLUTCH. And still have one of the best QB rating's in history.

Oh, it's his defense? Well, he has outscored Payton Manning AND Troy Aikman in PPG in the playoffs. Please.

Ben has been in 3 of the past 6 SB's. IMO, they Steelers would have been to ZERO without him.

I am amazed at his arm strength in this clip. Half the time he is off balance, or standing straight up and still zips it in WITH accuracy. If he had a top 5 receiver he would be unstoppable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lto9O19R ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lto9O19RLpM&feature=related)

Check out 5:37 for the arm strength.

ikestops85
06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Name me ONE QB with Ben's poise, arm strength, scrambling ability, vision of the field while scrambling, pure desire to win and his ability to excel in the CLUTCH. And still have one of the best QB rating's in history.

Oh, it's his defense? Well, he has outscored Payton Manning AND Troy Aikman in PPG in the playoffs. Please.

Ben has been in 3 of the past 6 SB's. IMO, they Steelers would have been to ZERO without him.

I am amazed at his arm strength in this clip. Half the time he is off balance, or standing straight up and still zips it in WITH accuracy. If he had a top 5 receiver he would be unstoppable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lto9O19R ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lto9O19RLpM&feature=related)

Check out 5:37 for the arm strength.

I agree with all the things you are saying skyhawk. I do think one of the biggest knocks on Ben is he is not a quick decision maker. He doesn't drop back and then throw the ball in rhythm. Reading defenses is probably not his strength. His strength is in breaking defenses down. Making them do things they don't want to do which leaves them vulnerable to big plays. He is far and away the best QB in the league in doing this. Check that ... Vick is close to him.

His other strength is his ability to lead his team from behind late in the game. I think he ranks with the greats in the game at doing this. He doesn't get enough credit for doing this IMO.

I hope he spends his entire career in black 'n gold.

feltdizz
06-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Michael Vick and Drew Brees ahead of Ben is a travesty. Ben should be top-10 player in the league.

Vick gets the shine because he changed his game and had a great year in Philly...

I'm not sure what Brees did last year....

papillon
06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't really care what writers, other players or other coaches have to say about Ben or where they rank him. I don't believe that there is a team, coach or player who has more wins against Ben than Ben has against them. If there is, it's because Ben has only played them once or twice. His opponents can hate on him all they want for his unorthodox style of play, but they're missing the boat and probably losing games to Ben while they criticize his style or underestimate his abilities as a leader and a winner, because he doesn't fit the mold.

If you're just catching on now that Ben is one of the best quarterbacks in the league you haven't been watching closely or you're missing a great show. I've said this before and I'll repeat it again, Steeler football has never been this exciting and Ben is the reason.

Ben puts people in seats and also gets otherwise uninterested fans tuning in to see what kind of magic or failure he may provide on any given Sunday (fortunately for Steeler fans the success has way outdistanced the failure). Either way, people are watching, don't miss the show it's been good so far and will probably get better for the next few years.

Pappy

Ben210
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Vick gets the shine because he changed his game and had a great year in Philly...

Even with my homer glasses on, I can see why those 2 are ranked ahead of Ben based on 2010 alone.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM

He threw 22 interceptions and was one-and-done in the playoffs, losing to the 7-9 Seahawks.

skyhawk
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes Pappy, I think things can get even better as he improves.

And I have said many times (I don't post that much) that I could see and feel Ben's "mojo" and presence the very moment he stepped onto the field in 2004. I'll never forget it.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

And I have said many times (I don't post that much) that I could see and feel Ben's "mojo" and presence the very moment he stepped onto the field in 2004. I'll never forget it.

I was excited from the get-go, right when we drafted him. But when he won those back-to-back games against the undefeated Cheetahs and Iggles, it was cemented in my mind that we had drafted a truly great one. Those victories confirmed for me that he was indeed quite a special breed.

skyhawk
06-08-2011, 12:20 PM

I was excited from the get-go, right when we drafted him. But when he won those back-to-back games against the undefeated Cheetahs and Iggles, it was cemented in my mind that we had drafted a truly great one. Those victories confirmed for me that he was indeed quite a special breed.

One play stands out to me. The cowboys game where he scrambled and slipped through two defenders only to toss the ball underhanded to Miller. You can't teach that.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM

One play stands out to me. The cowboys game where he scrambled and slipped through two defenders only to toss the ball underhanded to Miller. You can't teach that.

I could almost imagine Peyton Manning trying (and failing) to do something unorthodox like that for once when he is practicing by himself, kinda like Shooter McGavin trying (and failing) to do the Happy Gilmore unorthodox golf swing. :lol:

skyhawk
06-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I could almost imagine Peyton Manning trying (and failing) to do something unorthodox like that for once when he is practicing by himself, kinda like Shooter McGavin trying (and failing) to do the Happy Gilmore unorthodox golf swing. :lol:

Love that swing! Everyone must try it at least once ;)

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Roethlisberger still has edge over Flacco

June 29, 2011
By Joe Platania
CSNBaltimore.com/PressBoxOnline.com

It’s no secret that when Ravens fans look towards this year’s Week One home game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, they will hope and pray their purple-clad heroes get the best of every visiting player.

But none more so than quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The strong-armed, playmaking signal-caller is perhaps the single biggest reason the Steelers have five AFC North Division crowns to the Ravens’ two and three head-to-head postseason wins to Baltimore’s zero.

The Ravens haven’t beaten a Roethlisberger-led Steeler team since Dec. 24, 2006, when Steve McNair carved up an injury-riddled Pittsburgh defense in a 31-7 win at Heinz Field over the defending Super Bowl champions.

After years of searching, the Ravens seemingly have their franchise quarterback in Joe Flacco, who is entering his fourth year. Roethlisberger is going into his eighth campaign.
Flacco’s admirers would like to think their hero is on “Big Ben’s” level, or at least close to it. After all, both were voted by their peers as being among the top 6 percent of the league’s players as part of NFL Network’s “Top 100” active-players list. Flacco came in ranked at number 90, with Roethlisberger at the 41st spot.

But the only things they seem to have in common are their draft status (both taken with mid-first round picks), size (Flacco is one inch taller and listed as three pounds lighter) and the fact they both got married this offseason.

There’s nothing anyone can do about the fact that Roethlisberger got a four-year head start. But to offer up a more fair comparison, when Flacco’s three-year numbers are compared to Roethlisberger’s after his third season (2006), it is the Steelers’ quarterback that still comes out ahead.

That’s perhaps as good a reason as any for the controversies that have swirled around Flacco this offseason: his contract status, the dismissal of quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn and critical comments coming from division-rival linebackers such as Pittsburgh’s LaMarr Woodley and Cincinnati’s Dhani Jones.

‘Big Ben’s’ biggest question marks have come due to his off-field behavior, but no one has questioned what he has done on the gridiron.

Whether all this serves as a tribute to those who brought Roethlisberger along more quickly -- or an indictment of Flacco’s more-controlled, allegedly-hamstrung development -- the facts don’t lie.

Here’s a tale-of-the-tape look at Flacco’s and Roethlisberger’s first three seasons:

DOWNFIELD THROWS
Both are capable of throwing the deep ball, but Roethlisberger seemed to have his training wheels taken off sooner. In his first three seasons, his yards-per-attempt figures were 8.9, 8.9 and 7.5. For Flacco, those numbers read 6.9, 7.2 and 7.4, a gradual increase, but not quite enough to match Roethlisberger, a key factor when these two teams are separated by very little.
EDGE: Roethlisberger

SACKS, TURNOVERS
Roethlisberger has been much more adept in avoiding trouble and making plays out of the pocket at crucial times. His disputed touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes on the goal line at the east end of M&T Bank Stadium with time running out three years ago is just one example. But despite offensive line play even spottier in his first three years than what Flacco has dealt with, Roethlisberger took eight fewer sacks (99-108) than the Delaware product and fumbled far less (9-28).

FINDING TARGETS
In his first three seasons, Flacco has found a total of 36 different receivers, a respectable total given the Ravens’ relative lack of a downfield passing game. But once again, Roethlisberger rates the edge here with 39 different targets over his first three years, thanks to having deep threats like Plaxico Burress, Nate Washington and Antwaan Randle El at the time.

TOUCHDOWNS/INTS
Roethlisberger’s devil-may-care playmaking ability led him to throw 43 pickoffs between 2004-2006, nine more than Flacco has done in his first three years in the league. Flacco is definitely more careful with the ball -- some would say he holds on to it too long -- but that tendency paid off with 60 touchdown passes, eight more than Roethlisberger managed in his early stages.
EDGE: Flacco

WINNING
Roethlisberger has done just enough to keep the Steelers ahead of the Ravens in the standings, and, therefore, keep them home to face Baltimore for crucial postseason battles. Flacco has proven to be as tough as any quarterback on the road, with four career away postseason wins. But Roethlisberger, in just his second year in the league, got four in 2005 alone as he led the sixth-seeded Steelers to the Super Bowl XL title.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/06/29/11/Ro ... eedID=9671 (http://www.csnbaltimore.com/06/29/11/Roethlisberger-still-has-edge-over-Flacc/landing.html?blockID=538158&feedID=9671)

skyhawk
06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
I give props for a Baltimore writer doing this story.

But to say Roethlisberger still has "EDGE" over Flacco. Are you freaking kidding me? There is no comparison and they shouldn't be compared in the same sentence. Absurd.