PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Roger Goodell, owners meet

MadSteel
06-02-2011, 02:52 AM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and a small but critical group of owners gathered in a Chicago suburb to discuss the league's labor situation Wednesday, two days before the league and NFL Players Association are scheduled to go before the U.S. 8th Circuit Court, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft was spotted Wednesday boarding his private jet at a Chicago-area airport less than 24 hours after arriving, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Also, the jet for Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was seen at the same airport, the paper said.

The Tribune cited sources saying Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and Goodell were in attendance, as well.

The NFL had no comment, but sources told Schefter after the meeting, Goodell told some around the league there were no significant developments.

The 8th Circuit will hear the owner's appeal of a ruling enjoining the lockout on Friday in St. Louis.

The next round of court-ordered mediation is scheduled for June 7 in Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6617474

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
The owners are obviously struggling to make ends meet...they had to fly economy coach to get to these meetings. Wait...they are still able to afford private jets to bounce around the globe? My mistake. Such hardships...

Oviedo
06-02-2011, 10:26 AM
It is now coming out that it was "secret" talks between the NFL and the "not really a union" with Goodell and Smith both being present. Maybe a good sign, but IMO until you get Goodell and Smith out of the picture it will be difficult. The players hate Goodell and Smith wants courts to decide (a strategy which IMO will backfire on the players).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6618259

steelcurtain44
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
The owners are obviously struggling to make ends meet...they had to fly economy coach to get to these meetings. Wait...they are still able to afford private jets to bounce around the globe? My mistake. Such hardships...

Well the players don't seem to be hurting neither. This is one of those deals, where both sides are crying wolf. I don't feel sorry for any of them. They all are making buschels of money. It's funny, that there is no strike, and yet there is a possibility that some games could be missed (the owners). Then there is the desertification of the so-called NFL player's union, which for the fans, was not a good thing to do.

Just get something settled and get on with football!!!

hawaiiansteel
06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Updated: June 2, 2011

Sources: Secret labor talks in Chicago

By Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter
ESPN

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith, along with owners and players association officials met Wednesday and continued talking Thursday in Chicago to try to bridge some of their significant differences, according to multiple league sources.

The two sides worked into the night Wednesday and a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the talks continued Thursday and were scheduled to wrap up around mid-day.

Clearly, one day before a scheduled hearing in St. Louis in front of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the two sides are making an effort to determine whether they can work out a settlement that eventually leads to football and a collective bargaining agreement. Thursday is Day 79 of the lockout, the longest work stoppage in NFL history.

One source said any potential deal still was a ways away; however, the hope would be that the two sides could reach an agreement sooner rather than later, potentially even later this month.

With the two sides needing to be in St. Louis on Friday, Chicago made sense as a logical meeting place. The Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones, the New England Patriots' Robert Kraft, the Carolina Panthers' Jerry Richardson, the New York Giants' John Mara and the Pittsburgh Steelers' Art Rooney were the owners present in Chicago along with Goodell.

NFLPA representatives at the meeting, besides Smith, included Kevin Mawae, the Kansas City Chiefs' Mike Vrabel and the Indianapolis Colts' Jeff Saturday.

No lawyers -- except Smith -- were at Wednesday's talks.

A source involved in the discussions told ESPN.com that the meeting was requested by the owners.

Following last week's spring meetings in Indianapolis, owners contacted Smith and U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan to see if there could be a session before the Friday's hearing. Once they agreed upon a city to holding the meeting, both sides agreed to use Tuesday as a travel day and to try to meet Wednesday and Thursday before heading to St. Louis for the hearing on Friday.

The meetings were so secretive that, as of Wednesday night there, there were other NFL owners who didn't know what was taking place.

The NFLPA was equally secretive, declining to respond to inquiries about the meeting and its leaders' whereabouts.

The two sides have been at a stalemate throughout the spring since the NFLPA decertified and the NFL locked out the players.

The court-mediated session in the Brady vs. NFL antitrust case is scheduled to resume next Tuesday in Minneapolis before Boylan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6618259

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
The meetings were so secretive that, as of Wednesday night there, there were other NFL owners who didn't know what was taking place.

If I'm an owner who was left out of the loop I would be PO'ed

Oviedo
06-02-2011, 01:25 PM

What about all the players who had no idea and are being told to "trust us"????? Tell that to D'Brickashaw Fergurson who is going to lose like a $700K workout bonus because the "not really a union" walked away from mediation in march and couldn't wait to let courts decide. Now they want secret talks?? I'd be seriously questioning my "not really a union" leadership if I was a player.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Talks aren't going on? People complain.

Secret talks are going on? People complain.

Oviedo
06-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Knowledgeable people complain because as long as there is another court decision pending there is no motivation for meaningful discussions because that decision could scuttle any agreements. We can thank De Smith for that brilliant move.

Have the player withdraw their complaints from the courts and then watch meaningful discussions take place.

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM

What about all the players who had no idea and are being told to "trust us"????? Tell that to D'Brickashaw Fergurson who is going to lose like a $700K workout bonus because the "not really a union" walked away from mediation in march and couldn't wait to let courts decide. Now they want secret talks?? I'd be seriously questioning my "not really a union" leadership if I was a player.

:wft

Are you really trying to compare 2000 players to 32 owners? I think it's pretty obvious which group is easier to keep in contact with.

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Knowledgeable people complain because as long as there is another court decision pending there is no motivation for meaningful discussions because that decision could scuttle any agreements. We can thank De Smith for that brilliant move.

Have the player withdraw their complaints from the courts and then watch meaningful discussions take place.

Will you refer to the players as "players from the union that wasn't a union" once the season starts? :stirpot

ter1230_4
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I find it interesting/encouraging that Dan Rooney is apparently one of the five owners attending the secret talks. Interesting that it is Dan Rooney rather than Art Rooney III, which shows (a) how seriously the Rooney family is taking this, and (b) that the training wheels haven't completely come off yet for Art III. Encouraging because Dan Rooney has been a major player in previous union negotiations and probably has a better reputation among players than Jones, Richardson, et al. At least there will be one adult present at the meetings. (Note: The Fox Sports Report I read said it was Dan attending not Art, but that could be just bad reporting)

hawaiiansteel
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Not-so-secret meeting was lawyer-free (except for De)

Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/quinnandkesslermay16reuters-e1307027026543.jpg?w=250

For months, key figures on each side of the NFLís labor dispute have called for negotiations to occur without the lawyers present.

Finally, it has happened.

Updating and clarifying prior information on the Chicago-area meeting between the league and representatives of the NFLPA*, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that no lawyers attended, with the exception of NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith. Accompanying Smith were NFLPA* president Kevin Mawae and Executive Committee members Jeff Saturday and Mike Vrabel.

Attending for the NFL were Commissioner Roger Goodell, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Giants co-0wner John Mara, and Steelers owner Art Rooney.

The fact that five owners participated when a rotation of four have been attending court-ordered mediation sessions is a positive sign, but the absence of men like Jeff Pash, Bob Batterman, Jim Quinn, and Jeff Kessler represents the best news. It means that the two sides are moving toward trying to find a win-win solution, with the lawyers left to iron out the details after a consensus is reached on the bigger issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pt-for-de/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/02/not-so-secret-meeting-was-lawyer-free-except-for-de/)