PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward tops in receptions over last 10 seasons

hawaiiansteel
05-26-2011, 01:34 AM
I must admit that I did not know this...this must be killing Crash! :D

Data Points: Ward tops in receptions last 10 years

By NFL.com Staff
Published: May 25th, 2011

Now that Hines Ward has officially won “Dancing with the Stars,” he is certain to be a household name with many people who have no idea what a crack-back block is, much less who Keith Rivers (and his jawline) is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200810/20081020pd_steelers1019i_500.jpg

But on some level, that’s unfortunate. Because as well-known as Ward has been as a player, it might not be a stretch to say that he’s still underrated. To quantify this notion, look no further than his production over 13 NFL seasons. Most fans know Ward has been effective, but not to the degree the numbers suggest.

Ward tops the list of most receptions over the past 10 seasons, a fact that shouldn’t be surprising, yet probably is to most hardcore fans. Some of those who lag behind Ward over the same period, like Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens, have bigger names … without the bigger numbers. All of the players included below pretty much played the prime of their careers from 2001-2010, thus making Ward’s totals all the more impressive.

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dp_most_receptions_02.jpg

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ons_02.jpg (http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dp_most_receptions_02.jpg)

Shoe
05-26-2011, 01:43 AM
His induction will be my first and probably only trip to Canton.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-26-2011, 08:44 AM
When they do a statue of him, will it be in his football uniform, or in his dancing getup?

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
He also leads the league in most jaws broken in the last 10 seasons. :tt2 :tt1

steelblood
05-26-2011, 11:03 AM
IIRC, he has more career TDs than Michael Irvin. Longevity, versatility, impressive production, scary toughness, and unparalleled passion for the game, 2 championships = hall of fame. This argument that he wasn't an elite receiver is total bunk. Maybe he didn't have elite talent, but how in the world should that be the measuring stick?

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
IIRC, he has more career TDs than Michael Irvin. Longevity, versatility, impressive production, scary toughness, and unparalleled passion for the game, 2 championships = hall of fame. This argument that he wasn't an elite receiver is total bunk. Maybe he didn't have elite talent, but how in the world should that be the measuring stick?

Yeah, but you try catching a football after snorting multiple lines of coke...it's not as easy as Michael Irvin made it look. :wink:

steelblood
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Good point. :lol:

papillon
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Yeah, but you try catching a football after snorting multiple lines of coke...it's not as easy as Michael Irvin made it look. :wink:

Is this experience speaking? :P Just askin... :lol:

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Receiver Ward's dancing makes him stronger

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 26, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-05-25/HINESDanceTopABC-a.jpg

LOS ANGELES — Hines Ward returns to reality next week.

The Steelers wide receiver and freshly minted "Dancing With the Stars" champion will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair ligament damage in his left thumb.

The procedure will serve as a reminder that Ward still has a day job after going Hollywood in early March and beating 11 other celebrities in the 12th season of "DWTS."

The thumb injury is something Ward has dealt with since the end of the 2010 season. He had minor surgery on his left knee in February, not long after the Steelers' 31-25 loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV, but it hardly slowed him down.

Indeed, his stint on "DWTS" — and all of the work that went into his performances — only seemed to make Ward's knee stronger.

He and partner Kym Johnson looked like had been dancing together for years, as they waltzed their way to the Mirror Ball Trophy. In the process, Ward made a believer out of at least one "DWTS" contestant that initially underestimated him.

"When I first saw Hines, I kind of sized him up, like a fighter. I said 'I got this guy' because he's big and sluggish," said former boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard, who was eliminated from "DWTS" in mid-April. "What he's been able to do, I have been blown away. He moved. He had charisma. He had personality. He did all of the things that made him win."

Ward made it look easy at times even though he had no background in dancing. The four-time Pro Bowler credited the same discipline he applies to his football training as helping him become — or at least come across as — a quick study.

But even Ward didn't know what he was getting into when he signed on for the show.

"I disrespected the show when I first came on. I said, 'Oh, I can do that,' but a lot of hard work goes into it," said Ward, who turned 35 in March. "It's grueling."

It showed in how trim Ward, who's listed at 6-feet and 205 pounds, looked by the end of "DWTS."

"He told me he lost about 18 pounds because it's a different kind of workout than he did before," former Steelers great Lynn Swann said Monday night. "Ask him how much weight he's lost dancing."

Hines?

"Fifteen pounds," Ward said.

Ward said he's probably ahead of where he normally is at this point in the offseason.

"I usually don't do anything until June," said Ward, who has two years left on his contract. "I'm ready."

Ward said he will look into getting his teammates together for informal practices next month, assuming the NFL lockout is in place. But for now, he's taking a couple of victory laps, so to speak, having appeared on "Good Morning America" yesterday and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Tuesday.

He became the second NFL player to win "DWTS," and football appeared to be the furthest thing from his mind. But when asked if he might unveil a new touchdown dance given what he had just accomplished, Ward didn't hesitate to answer.

"I'm doing a tribute to Kym every time I score a touchdown," Ward said, "a 'Dancing With the Stars' routine somewhere in the end zone."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1NTGB4hMz (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_738985.html#ixzz1NTGB4hMz)

flippy
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
...in a run first offense and no consistently great QB over that period.

the only knock on Ward's stats is number of TDs.

flippy
05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
wonder if the weight loss will lengthen his career. now we have 2 old little guys leading us on both sides of the ball in Ward and Farrior. there were times over the last couple years where I've wondered if Farrior is even 200lbs. he still plays big despite his size. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
...in a run first offense and no consistently great QB over that period.

the only knock on Ward's stats is number of TDs.

If a WR is able to reach his uniform number in TD's (provided he wears a traditional 80's number and not one in the teens), that's an accomplishment. Hines is almost there with 83 regular season TD's (plus 10 more in the playoffs).

For comparison's sake, Andre Johnson (widely considered to be the best wideout in the game today) has yet to eclipse the double-digit touchdown barrier in any of his 8 seasons in the league. Hines Ward had 3 seasons with double-digit touchdowns in his first 8 seasons.

flippy
05-27-2011, 07:32 AM
My point on TDs was the elite guys like Moss and Owens have nearly double the TDs that Ward has.

I'm Ward's biggest fan and think the guy gets overlooked a lot for all he does. And at the end of the day, I think he gets judge based on TD production. And he doesn't have elite TD numbers like Rice, Moss, Owens, etc.

Hine will always get looked at as a second tier receiver unless he can start adding 20 TDs a season for the next couple years to finish out his career. ;)

steelblood
05-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Moss and Owens are first ballot HOFers. Hines will have to wait his turn.

D Rock
05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Career stats list:

Currently #19 with 83 TDs, #9 has 91. That is in range with 1 good year or 2 ok years.

Currently #21 with 11,702 yards. #14 has 12,721. 1 great year or 2 good years.

Currently #8 with 954 receptiosn. Tied with Moss, and with Owens and Gonzalez still ahead of him. Needs 70 to tie Isaac Bruce, 140 to tie Tim Brown. He may end up stuck at #8, but that's still a great place to be in the all time list.

He could easily end up #8 in career receptions, #14 in yards, and #9 in TDs. That's HoF material, just not first ballot.

feltdizz
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Hines will get in easily... stats, rings, wins, blocking. He has it all and given his size I think it's a no-brainer.

birtikidis
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't see either of these guys as first ballot HOF. Hell, Moss, IMO should wait as long as Donnie Shell.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't see either of these guys as first ballot HOF. Hell, Moss, IMO should wait as long as Donnie Shell.

$$$$$$$$

Moss was tremendously talented. At times, dominant. But I can't forget all the times he quit on routes, etc. All his half-ar$$ed effort should cost him a few years when it comes to getting in the HOF. That's how I'd see it if I was voting.

skyhawk
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Hines will get in easily... stats, rings, wins, blocking. He has it all and given his size I think it's a no-brainer.

Not with the anti-steeler bias out there. It won't be easy for him to get in IMO.

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2011, 12:01 AM

you do realize that Hines is divorced, don't you? :D

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2011, 09:15 AM
I love Hines, but Hines was not as good of a WR as Dirt Dawson was a center. If Dermontti has been surprisingly forced to wait at least this long, it may take Hines just as long or longer.

skyhawk
05-31-2011, 01:57 PM
I love Hines, but Hines was not as good of a WR as Dirt Dawson was a center. If Dermontti has been surprisingly forced to wait at least this long, it may take Hines just as long or longer.

Exactly.

Sugar
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Wow, that's like comparing apples to Audi's. If the same value was placed on receivers as centers, that might make sense. One of our brethren on here that has the time on their hands could probably tell us all how many Centers are in the HOF now compared to WR's. I'd guess it's at least a 10-1 margin in favor of the WR's.

feltdizz
05-31-2011, 04:27 PM

that makes zero sense... It's not like you see Centers on Dancing with the Stars. OL isn't a glory position. Given Hines size and his accomplishments he will get in easily.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-01-2011, 09:34 AM

that makes zero sense... It's not like you see Centers on Dancing with the Stars. OL isn't a glory position. Given Hines size and his accomplishments he will get in easily.

If Dermontti had won DWTS, he'd be in by now. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Dawson is in the top 2 or 3 centers of all time without question. In fact, I'd argue that he's #1 (better than Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson...Dirt's game combined the best aspects of those two HoF centers in one body). It's an injustice that he is not in the hall.

Is Hines even a top 2 of 3 WR in his era? It's questionable. I personally think he should get in, but if he has to wait a few years like Dawson has, I won't consider it to be an injustice along the same lines as Dermontti.

skyhawk
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

Dawson is in the top 2 or 3 centers of all time without question. In fact, I'd argue that he's #1 (better than Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson...Dirt's game combined the best aspects of those two HoF centers in one body). It's an injustice that he is not in the hall.

Is Hines even a top 2 of 3 WR in his era? It's questionable. I personally think he should get in, but if he has to wait a few years like Dawson has, I won't consider it to be an injustice along the same lines as Dermontti.

Thanks Ruthless. But stop reading my mind!

:Agree

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

How many SB winning teams did Dawson play on? Hines doesn't have to be top 2 or 3 of his era to get in. He is a WR with 2 rings, a ton of bone crushing blocks, a SB MVP, and all types of stats...

Centers don't have stats like WR's do so it takes them longer to get recognition. Hines has nothing to do with Dawson getting in.

People don't remember how the plays start... they remember how they end.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 10:13 AM

How many SB winning teams did Dawson play on? Hines doesn't have to be top 2 or 3 of his era to get in. He is a WR with 2 rings, a ton of bone crushing blocks, a SB MVP, and all types of stats...

Centers don't have stats like WR's do so it takes them longer to get recognition. Hines has nothing to do with Dawson getting in.

People don't remember how the plays start... they remember how they end.

That's a problem with how the Hall of Fame is chosen. A bunch of newspaper reporters sitting in a room. Ask coaches who had to prepare to play the Steelers in the 90's how good Dermontti was. Ask the defensive linemen he blocked. They know what kind of a special player Dirt was. Newspaper hacks only know fancy schmancy stats and it's a shame that they have the only input to determine who is Hall of Fame worthy and who isn't.

And before you automatically assume that Ward is a shoo-in for Canton, remember that Cris Carter is still waiting for the Hall to call. Carter has 147 more catches, 2197 more yards, and 45 more TD's than Ward.

AngryAsian
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
And before you automatically assume that Ward is a shoo-in for Canton, remember that Cris Carter is still waiting for the Hall to call. Carter has 147 more catches, 2197 more yards, and 45 more TD's than Ward.

True, Ruthless... but you have to think of the Irving-bias votes.... did Mike Irving deserve being first ballot? His numbers surely didn't deserve consideration, but yet he's in because of his championships with the cowgirls.... how many rings does CC have?.... but I'm with you in that if Hines gets in before Dirt, there's something seriously wrong with the voting system.

flippy
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM

In my book Dawson is the #1 C in the history of the game and the gap between him and the #2 C is a bigger gap than the gap between #1 and #2 of any position.

The only other guy I can think of that redefined his position in a way that won't be matched soon is Troy.

Every other position, it's debateable in my mind who's #1 vs #2 in the history of the game.

Maybe I'd throw in Moss if he only had Rice's work ethic.

And we might be able to add Ben if he wins enough rings. But I'd classify Ben in the category of guys who redefined their positions a la a guy like Mel Blount and even Randy Moss. But there are so many other quality guys at those positions, it's hard to make a case for one being better than the other.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
There are a few significant gaps between #1 and #2 in my mind.

Jerry Rice is substantially better than any other WR in history, in my opinion. No one else is on the same continent. Biggest gap from #1 to #2 (tough to say who #2 even is).

Jim Brown is significantly better than any other RB in history, in my opinion. The only RB in the same time zone was Walter Payton, who was indeed awesome, but Jim Brown in his prime was simply an animal.

John Hannah is somewhat better than any other OG in history, in my opinion. Gene Upshaw is in the same area code, but I still consider Hannah to be the prototypical guard.

Anthony Munoz is better than any other OT in history, in my opinion. Art Shell is in the same neighborhood, but it's difficult to find any flaw in Munoz's game whatsoever.

At all other positions, I think a legitimate argument can be made for more than one person as for the best of all time.

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM

and 2 less rings... those rings go a long way. Would Irving get in without the rings? I doubt it.

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 12:46 PM

True, Ruthless... but you have to think of the Irving-bias votes.... did Mike Irving deserve being first ballot? His numbers surely didn't deserve consideration, but yet he's in because of his championships with the cowgirls.... how many rings does CC have?.... but I'm with you in that if Hines gets in before Dirt, there's something seriously wrong with the voting system.

We already know something is wrong with the system but Hines shouldn't have to wait because Dirt isn't in yet.

Oviedo
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

We already know something is wrong with the system but Hines shouldn't have to wait because Dirt isn't in yet.

Hines will have to wait because he is a Steeler and there is an acknowledged prejudice against adding more Steelers because many believe there are too many now. I think John Clayton or one of the other ESPN guys wrote something about this not too long ago so it is more than a perception.

Hines has to reach 1000 catches this year for his resume but even then I predict that he will have to wait at least 3 years if not more because he has never been viewed as a game changing receiver. The view of Hines is that he is a possession receiver who is good at blocking. That doesn't impress HoF voters and then add in the anti-Steeler sentiment and Hines will be waiting quite awhile.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
How many years did possession WR Art Monk have to wait? And he has 3 Super Bowl rings...

Oviedo
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
How many years did possession WR Art Monk have to wait? And he has 3 Super Bowl rings...

Monk retired after the 1995 season and was selected into the HoF in 2008. He was also sselected to the All Decade Team for the 80s.

Hines will be old and grey by the time he gets in.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Monk retired after the 1995 season and was selected into the HoF in 2008. He was also sselected to the All Decade Team for the 80s.

Hines will be old and grey by the time he gets in.

He may be old, but he won't be grey. He'll be old and still bald. :lol:

Sugar
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Art Monk was not the greatest blocking WR ever and he didn't have a SB MVP either. Hines gets in easy. It is the Hall of FAME and Hines is famous. Not only did he win DWTS but he also had some BS token government position of some kind. It's not going to be all about pure numbers and accomplishments, sometimes it is the ability of the prospective inductee to gain publicity.

Ben210
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe Hines and Dirt will be inducted the same year.

feltdizz
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Art Monk was not the greatest blocking WR ever and he didn't have a SB MVP either. Hines gets in easy. It is the Hall of FAME and Hines is famous. Not only did he win DWTS but he also had some BS token government position of some kind. It's not going to be all about pure numbers and accomplishments, sometimes it is the ability of the prospective inductee to gain publicity.

:Agree

Hines is known around the world and is an ambassador to Korea...

or something like that.

flippy
06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
And Hines has been arrested at gun point. so he has some TMZ cred too.

flippy
06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
There are a few significant gaps between #1 and #2 in my mind.

Jerry Rice is substantially better than any other WR in history, in my opinion. No one else is on the same continent. Biggest gap from #1 to #2 (tough to say who #2 even is).

Jim Brown is significantly better than any other RB in history, in my opinion. The only RB in the same time zone was Walter Payton, who was indeed awesome, but Jim Brown in his prime was simply an animal.

John Hannah is somewhat better than any other OG in history, in my opinion. Gene Upshaw is in the same area code, but I still consider Hannah to be the prototypical guard.

Anthony Munoz is better than any other OT in history, in my opinion. Art Shell is in the same neighborhood, but it's difficult to find any flaw in Munoz's game whatsoever.

At all other positions, I think a legitimate argument can be made for more than one person as for the best of all time.

Rice's statistics are out of this world, but Randy Moss is the most lethal WR I've ever seen. I'm impressed by Rice's numbers, but I think many would take Moss over Rice for his talent.

Jim Brown has his competition imho. Barry Sanders(different style hard to compare), Bo Jackson (better athlete, had it all and unfortunately got injured), Ladanian (he caught 100 balls in a season while putting up huge rushing totals - might be the most complete back). Even Barry Foster for a season was the best RB I've ever seen. Jim was ahead of his time size wise a la Mel Blount, but there's loads of guys at the position who are just as talented. If Jim Brown is on your list, so should Mel be.

The old lineman are hard to know for me just how good they are. You've got modern tackles like Walter Jones who play the tackle position perfectly. So I'm not sure I can make a clear call there.

And there's a load of guards that are quick now with gianormous size that are just as good as Hannah.

And when you go back to the older guys, you wonder if some like Jim Brown benefited from the time they played. NFLers weren't full timers, African Americans didn't have as many opportunities yet, etc. Jim was in the league a couple of years before Ernie Davis was the first African American heisman trophy winner and didn't the Browns draft Davis to replace Jim? I'm fuzzy on the details, but I remember watching something like that in some football movie a couple years ago.

NJ-STEELER
06-02-2011, 10:59 PM
edit

nevermind, i see monk has been brought up

feltdizz
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
edit

the whole world knows what Hines looks like.

I still don't know what Monk looks like. :wink:

Hines gets in easily. People will debate it when it happens given other players stats but Hines just oozes football "the way it's supposed to be played"

I just wish Ben would have remembered who Hines was on that last drive in the SB. :HeadBanger

Oviedo
06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
edit

Hines gets in easily. People will debate it when it happens given other players stats but Hines just oozes football "the way it's supposed to be played"

I just wish Ben would have remembered who Hines was on that last drive in the SB. :HeadBanger

Want to give an over/Under? Let's go with 5 years and I'll take the over.

We just had Bettis who was like the #4 or #5 rusher of all time got his first look and he wasn't even close. Hines' WR stats won't even compare to where Bettis is with RBs and while he is waiting even more WRs will likley pass him as far as stats because of the pass happy nature of the league.

ikestops85
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
edit

I can't believe you have never seen Monk. He is a short guy with curly hair. see below

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.okbuydvd.com/images/upload/Image/monk.jpg&sa=X&ei=rFTqTebrNejZ0QHO9MWVAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGIYoi3hEAckZm_Fs0jbMg7P_N8PQ

:lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
07-10-2011, 02:22 AM
this could possibly affect whether Hines makes it into the Hall of Fame...

Starkey: Ward's image takes major hit

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 10, 2011

Georgia, TMZ and Steelers stars. What a terrible combination.

Last offseason, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (dis)graced the cover of TMZ's website, sporting a Satan T-shirt during his ill-fated night on the town in Milledgeville.

Saturday morning, it was receiver Hines Ward who grabbed the salacious site's top billing after a traffic stop in DeKalb County, about 90 miles from Milledgeville. Ward wasn't smiling in the photograph.

Who smiles for a mug shot?

The headline over the photo — "Hines Ward Busted for DUI" — might as well have read "Hines Ward's Image in Tatters."

That doesn't mean Ward is guilty, of course, after he was held on $1,300 bond, posted it and was released. It just means that until his guilt or innocence is determined, his reputation will take a major hit at a point when his Q-rating was at an all-time high.

People who didn't know of Ward even after his Super Bowl XL MVP award became familiar with him through his recent "Dancing With the Stars" triumph. He's one of the hottest celebrities in the country — and if he doesn't beat this charge, he will never be looked at the same.

Nor should he.

Of course, I can already hear people writing this off as no big deal, even if Ward is convicted or pleads no contest. That is a common response to athlete DUI arrests. As Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland told 93.7 The Fan earlier this baseball season, after troubled Tigers star Miguel Cabrera was arrested for DUI, "I think most people will understand. It happens to a lot of people on a daily basis."

Yes, and a lot of those people are killing a lot of innocent victims.

Tell the family of one of those victims that DUIs aren't a big deal. About 12,000 people in this country die annually in DUI-related accidents, according to the website drinkinganddriving.org.

Ward, if he was driving under the influence, should have known better. Call a limo. Hire a driver. Use the "Safe Ride Solutions" program, in which NFL players can make a simple call to have somebody drive them home in their car. Or just consider what some of your colleagues have done.

Former St. Louis Rams defensive end Leonard Little was driving drunk when he smashed into a car and killed a woman in 1998. Then-Cleveland Browns receiver Donte Stallworth was driving under the influence when he killed a pedestrian in 2009.

A 2010 study in the San Diego Union-Tribune pegged drunk driving as the NFL's most oft-committed offense. It's a growing problem in Major League Baseball, as well. The Union-Tribune study reported that more than one NFL player per month has been arrested for DUI since 2000.

Here's hoping Ward is found innocent, that his business manager's assertion that Ward was not impaired, is true.

If not, Ward will never be looked at the same.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Rfltaz2z (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_746101.html#ixzz1Rfltaz2z)