PDA

View Full Version : Plan to fine teams targets Steelers for good reason

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Plan to fine teams targets Steelers for good reason

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
May 24, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- Six months ago, the NFL insisted it wasn't targeting the Pittsburgh Steelers and/or linebacker James Harrison with stiff fines and warnings about flagrant hits. Now, the league doesn't say anything about the Steelers and fines -- nor should it -- because we're not stupid.

We all know what's going on with a new proposal that would fine teams as well as players, and what's going on is that the Steelers have been identified as Public Enemy Numero Uno.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img15160490.jpg

Will the intimidation factor be lost from the Steelers defense? (US Presswire)

Of course, they're not alone in the penalty box. Adolpho Birch, the NFL's senior vice president of labor policy and player development, said there are "three to four teams" the league had in mind when it produced a plan to fine teams -- not just individuals -- whose players are fined repeatedly.

Birch declined to be specific, but it doesn't take a genius to name the first suspect. Will the Steelers please step forward?

"You think they had you in mind?" team president Art Rooney was asked.

"Well, I don't know," Rooney said at this week's owners meetings. "I can't say that for sure, but from what I understand I think we may have qualified last year. I think they're trying to get at a particular issue, and we'll see how it works."

He's right about the league getting at a "particular issue," and it's head injuries. And when you think of head injuries you think of ... uh-huh, James Harrison and the Pittsburgh Steelers. It was Harrison who was fined so often and for so much last season that the Steelers complained they were targeted. Harrison was fined four times for $100,000, including a $50,000 penalty for a hit that originally was set at $75,000.

Everywhere you look, the NFL is trying to reduce head injuries, and let's be honest, people -- that's a good thing. We saw it with the league's rule change at the March meetings, where kickoffs were moved five yards forward to reduce the number of returns and, ultimately, the injuries that result during them. We saw it in rules changes announced Tuesday, with the league expanding its protection for defenseless players as well as outlawing illegal "launching" by defenders. And now we see it in the league's interest in penalizing teams -- not just players -- for not grasping its message.

OK, I get that. In fact, I'm in favor of it. But I know a lot of people in the 412 area code who aren't. They were outspoken last season in their support of Harrison and the Steelers, firm in their belief that the league would change the personality of their star player and its defense, and, ultimately, compromise the Steelers' chances for success.

But it didn't, as the Steelers ended up ranked second in defense, first in run defense, first in points allowed and in their third Super Bowl in six years.

What the NFL is trying to gain here, Birch said, is "accountability" from clubs that, basically, have little or none when it comes to flagrant hits -- and, yeah, I'd say that conversation starts with the Steelers. The New England Patriots are probably in there too, and I'd add Tennessee to the discussion. Essentially, what the NFL is saying is that it doesn't trust clubs to police themselves, so the league will do it for them -- with warnings of "significant and reasonable" fines for those teams that don't knuckle under.

Only it's more than a warning; it's a threat, with Pittsburgh the provocateur.

"I’m absolutely sure now," Harrison wrote on Twitter, "after this rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots."

Nevertheless, Rooney rolled with the punch, saying, "I'm not going to say I'm opposed" to the idea and that he would "see how it goes." Good for him. Because, guaranteed, he showed more restraint than some of his players and legions of Pittsburgh fans will when they hear about this.

"Initially, I'm not in favor of it, either," said Indianapolis owner Jim Irsay. "It's something where you teach the right techniques and just do the right thing. I know that in our organization our coaches are expected to teach the standards that are legal. I've listened to the discussion about it, but my initial thought is that I'm not in favor of it."

Too bad. The NFL is. Which means the Steelers just got put on double-secret probation.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/1 ... ood-reason (http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15160484/plan-to-fine-teams-targets-steelers-for-good-reason)

birtikidis
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I emailed this joker. God this crap gets me fired up.
here it is
"too bad these rules target the steelers but aren't used when their players are the ones that get hit illegally. Unless you think Ngata breaking Ben's nose wasn't worth at least a penalty. Or the fact that he is routinely hit in the head and oftentimes much later then other quarterbacks. How about the fact that Harrison is held on every play. Every rule since the Blount rule has targeted the way they've played defense. I watch a lot of football and I've seen a lot of hits that are just as or much more flagrant than anything Harrison has done and those players get slapped on the wrist. How about hitting a player. Richard Seymor did it to Ben with impunity. Punched him right in the head, well after a play. The inconsistency and the gray area in these rules are what infuriates so many fans and players. The NFL wants to be the Arena League? Look at the Arena leagues attendance. Fans don't want points, they want good football. Keep taking it away from us and see what happens."

Djfan
05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I emailed this joker. God this crap gets me fired up.
here it is
"too bad these rules target the steelers but aren't used when their players are the ones that get hit illegally. Unless you think Ngata breaking Ben's nose wasn't worth at least a penalty. Or the fact that he is routinely hit in the head and oftentimes much later then other quarterbacks. How about the fact that Harrison is held on every play. Every rule since the Blount rule has targeted the way they've played defense. I watch a lot of football and I've seen a lot of hits that are just as or much more flagrant than anything Harrison has done and those players get slapped on the wrist. How about hitting a player. Richard Seymor did it to Ben with impunity. Punched him right in the head, well after a play. The inconsistency and the gray area in these rules are what infuriates so many fans and players. The NFL wants to be the Arena League? Look at the Arena leagues attendance. Fans don't want points, they want good football. Keep taking it away from us and see what happens."

He doesn't care. He is convinced that you are a biased fan, and that he knows better.

He is the end of the greatness in the NFL.

fordfixer
05-26-2011, 02:48 AM
James Harrison: NFL rules makers are 'idiots'
PUBLISHED Wednesday, May 25, 2011 a
Dennis Dillon Sporting News
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1NPP6WgaS (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-05-25/james-harrison-nfl-rules-makers-are-idiots#ixzz1NPP6WgaS)

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, whose controversial play precipitated the NFL's decision to crack down on hits to defenseless players last season, reacted predictably to the league's new rule to punish teams for their players' multiple flagrant hits.

"I'm absolutely sure now after this last rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots," Harrison wrote on Twitter.
Never one to shy away from an opinion, James Harrison sent out the following message on Twitter: "I'm absolutely sure now after this last rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots."

Harrison, who was fined $100,000 last season for egregious hits, wasn't the only Pittsburgh player to react to the so-called "Steelers rule." LaMarr Woodley, another Steelers linebacker, wrote on his Twitter account: "lol im sorry that im not sorry we hit 2 hard."

Although the league announced team punishments will be financial, NFL vice president Adolpho Birch said he didn't rule out commissioner Roger Goodell applying further sanctions, such as stripping teams of draft picks.

During their meetings in Indianapolis this week, NFL owners also approved amendments to improve player safety. The league toughened rules against "launching" and further defined what qualifies as a defenseless player.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1NRFT3qiK (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-05-25/james-harrison-nfl-rules-makers-are-idiots#ixzz1NRFT3qiK)

fordfixer
05-26-2011, 02:50 AM
What’s Really Going On?
May 26, 2011
jharrison9292

http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011 ... -going-on/ (http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/whats-really-going-on/)

It’s been weighing heavy on my mind all day, so I figure I might as well just let it out. I want to make it clear that I am all for player safety. I don’t disagree with all of the rule changes.

But come on…REALLY? Now you have to wait until a guy catches, or even worse, you have to let them catch the ball before you can even attempt to tackle him. Along with that, you cannot let any part of your helmet or facemask touch any part of them basically from the chest up. If you are following the letter of the rules exactly, now most tackles, if not ALL tackles can be flagged, fined and/or result in ejection from that game, or future game(s).

I understand the intent behind making the rules, but in their attempt to make the game safer, they are actually clouding what is allowable. Even the referees are confused. A close look will show you that the referees were calling things that were not even supposed to be called, and NOT calling things that were actually illegal.

The decision to call a penalty or impose a fine is seemingly, at least some of the time, dependent upon the uniform and the player. After my meeting this past fall with Roger Goodell, Ray Anderson, and Merton Hanks and some others, who I now have absolutely no respect for (to keep it PG), I definitely believe there is no equality in their enforcement of these rules.

These rules are targeting hard hitting players and defenses i.e. STEELERS. I guess the NFL needed a poster child for their campaign.

The quarterback rule clarification (Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13) is a great change. But that’s just saying “Hey Steelers..by the way…Ben’s nose getting broken last year really did not deserve a penalty.”

I know there are hits out there that could go either way, but if it’s me I already know which way they are going to go. I love this game, but I hate what they are trying to turn it into.

I wonder why the NFL is suddenly coming down so hard on player’s safety issues. I can’t help but think it’s not actually for the safety of the players.

steelblood
05-26-2011, 08:45 AM
NFL claims it isn't targeting teams. NFL claims it has 3-4 teams in mind for fining teams. What?

How does Art vote for these new rules? Most are good, but if they are made with fining the Steelers in mind, how does he sign his name to them.

grotonsteel
05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
NFL claims it isn't targeting teams. NFL claims it has 3-4 teams in mind for fining teams. What?

How does Art vote for these new rules? Most are good, but if they are made with fining the Steelers in mind, how does he sign his name to them.

Art Rooney II is spineless.

Bring Back Dan Rooney.

DukieBoy
05-28-2011, 04:58 PM
What’s Really Going On?
May 26, 2011
jharrison9292

http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011 ... -going-on/ (http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/whats-really-going-on/)

It’s been weighing heavy on my mind all day, so I figure I might as well just let it out. I want to make it clear that I am all for player safety. I don’t disagree with all of the rule changes.

But come on…REALLY? Now you have to wait until a guy catches, or even worse, you have to let them catch the ball before you can even attempt to tackle him. Along with that, you cannot let any part of your helmet or facemask touch any part of them basically from the chest up. If you are following the letter of the rules exactly, now most tackles, if not ALL tackles can be flagged, fined and/or result in ejection from that game, or future game(s).

I understand the intent behind making the rules, but in their attempt to make the game safer, they are actually clouding what is allowable. Even the referees are confused. A close look will show you that the referees were calling things that were not even supposed to be called, and NOT calling things that were actually illegal.

The decision to call a penalty or impose a fine is seemingly, at least some of the time, dependent upon the uniform and the player. After my meeting this past fall with Roger Goodell, Ray Anderson, and Merton Hanks and some others, who I now have absolutely no respect for (to keep it PG), I definitely believe there is no equality in their enforcement of these rules.

These rules are targeting hard hitting players and defenses i.e. STEELERS. I guess the NFL needed a poster child for their campaign.

The quarterback rule clarification (Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13) is a great change. But that’s just saying “Hey Steelers..by the way…Ben’s nose getting broken last year really did not deserve a penalty.”

I know there are hits out there that could go either way, but if it’s me I already know which way they are going to go. I love this game, but I hate what they are trying to turn it into.

I wonder why the NFL is suddenly coming down so hard on player’s safety issues. I can’t help but think it’s not actually for the safety of the players.

Perhaps the rule changes are being made to protect the NFL and ownership from big lawsuits, now that current research is showing the long-term results of head trauma. Goodell is a lawyer, isn't he?

Oviedo
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
What’s Really Going On?
May 26, 2011
jharrison9292

The NFL is coming down on this because they are scared to death of future litigation by individual players or the "not really a union." You have leadership in the "not really a union" that has clearly shown they like going into the court system. The NFL has to protect themselves from this future litigation by showing they are taking positive steps to try to limit harm to their "employees." Such is the nature of the litigous society we have become.

Discipline of Steel
05-30-2011, 09:49 PM
What’s Really Going On?
May 26, 2011
jharrison9292

Perhaps the rule changes are being made to protect the NFL and ownership from big lawsuits, now that current research is showing the long-term results of head trauma. Goodell is a lawyer, isn't he?

Hes not doing anything about repeated impacts suffered by linemen on every play.

feltdizz
05-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Ovie = Crash?
Damarius Smith = Hines?

LOL.

Oviedo
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Ovie = Crash?
Damarius Smith = Hines?

LOL.

More like Smith = Lenin = Marx = Hoffa