PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 - where do remaining Steelers land?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-25-2011, 02:03 AM
We are down to the top 60 and I'm bored....so a little exercise here.....

We have pretty much agreed that the last three Pittsburgh Steelers players on the list are Ben, Troy, And Harrison. Pick your order and their place on the list. Not where you would put them but where you think the players put them.

My guess..........

#28 Ben Roethlisberger - I don't think that you can really appreciate Ben unless you watch him every week. He doesn't put up great numbers, but he just somehow gets the job done when needed. Unfortunately not many NFL players are home watching football at 1:00 ET on a Sunday afternoon.

#16 James Harrison - The guy gets as much bad press as good and he doesn't get the exposure of a Demarcus Ware who is half the player he is. He could easily have won his second DPOY this past season. Players who play against him know how great a player he is but that isn't enough. He sould be top 10.

#6 Troy Polamalu - Great player, great person, great hair. Everyone in the league knows exactly who this guy is and his higlight reel plays are plays that they don't see anyone else make. Ed Reed can stay back in center field and collect int's off of tipped balls, but ESPN shows highlights of Troy jumping over the Oline to tackle a QB the moment he takes the snap. Things like that really stand out.

How about you guys?

Shoe
05-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Ben, a 2x SB winning QB in the prime of his career, at #28 would be a ridiculous ranking, and thus nullify the whole list.

papillon
05-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Ben - #4 (Arguably the best QB right now, but I know Manning, Brady and Rogers get the nod before Ben. With the focus on offense it's hard believing that a defensive player will be in the top 10, but Troy may make it)

Troy - #10 (See above, due to injury he may be in the 20s)
Harrison - #11 (The best LB in the game right now)

Pappy

aggiebones
05-26-2011, 03:16 PM
This is not necessarily my list, but could shake out this way.

Top ten:
Brady
Manning

Fitzgerald
AJohnson
Cal Johnson

Peterson
ChrisJohnson

Revis
Asomugha

Maybe 1 DT/DE and 1 LB (best name, best player or biggest stats, who gets it)

The ones that worry me.
Woodson - depends on if this is a progressive list.
Ray Lewis - This douche continues to linger
Rodgers - I have a bad feeling he sneaks in above Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Ben, a 2x SB winning QB in the prime of his career, at #28 would be a ridiculous ranking, and thus nullify the whole list.

That presumes that you believe the list is a credible ranking to begin with.

pfelix73
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
This whole thing that NFLN is doing is dumb. Everyone goes off on a tangent. This list is supposed to be a list of the BEST PLAYERS FROM 2010. Not the past 4 years, like someone on NFLN was saying, not the whole career of a player, total SB wins, etc. It's only supposed to be the best players from 2010. Period.

So, having Ben somewhere around #30-40 is realistic. He missed the first 4 games!

Troy in the top 10 is realistic, afterall he was voted the Defensive MVP last year. Based on that alone he should be #1 or #2.

And Harrison in the top 15 would be a good guess as well. Starter in the pro bowl. Led the league in fines too. Heck, that alone should get him in the top 10. :D

Where they wind up, they wind up. yay.

:tt1

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
This whole thing that NFLN is doing is dumb. Everyone goes off on a tangent. This list is supposed to be a list of the BEST PLAYERS FROM 2010. Not the past 4 years, like someone on NFLN was saying, not the whole career of a player, total SB wins, etc. It's only supposed to be the best players from 2010. Period.

So, having Ben somewhere around #30-40 is realistic. He missed the first 4 games!

Actually, it is the best players of 2011. So, it should not factor in things like suspensions and injuries from 2010. At least that is how I figure it.

But then you see a poll of who is going to be the top defensive player and Ray Ray is leading. Why would he even be a possible selection of the current best players?

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Actually, it is the best players of 2011. So, it should not factor in things like suspensions and injuries from 2010. At least that is how I figure it.

But then you see a poll of who is going to be the top defensive player and Ray Ray is leading. Why would he even be a possible selection of the current best players?

Because most fans tend to be sheep who simply believe who the talking heads tell them should be good.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Ben was just voted as the 41st-best player in the NFL...

Steelworth
06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Saw that, way too low. Whatever, I think Ben likes being underrated. Keep winning games Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Saw that as well and that takes me back to my original point. To truly appreciate Ben you have to watch him play every week. You have to see the things that he regularly does that no other QB in the game can do. You have to see him constantly under a barrage of pressure yet still be able to run an offense.

And much of this stuff does not make the game highlight package.

Unfortunately, NFL players are too busy on Sunday at 1:00 to watch Ben's magic.

And to those who are under the mistaken belief that players are the best judges because they play against each other and see them in person.....most teams only play each other once every three years.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Awesome. Love it. Now Ben will line up under center, look at the players opposite him, think to himself, "these bastages voted me 41st in the league?" and then rip them to shreds. As he celebrates another TD pass, he'll think "41st my @$$!" I love these motivational disses.

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Roethlisberger, Polamalu get snubbed

June, 6, 2011
By James Walker

The hits keep coming against the Pittsburgh Steelers this offseason.

Recently the NFL made new rules to crackdown on big hits, which is commonly known as the "Steelers rule." Now individual players are being snubbed -- and pretty much disrespected -- in various rankings.

This week, two well-respected entities released controversial ratings involving the Steelers. First, the NFL Network, which surveyed more than 400 players, announced that Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was No. 41 on its list of top 100 players.

Roethlisberger has been to three Super Bowls, winning two, and is one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Are there really 40 players better than Roethlisberger right now? I doubt it.

Also, veteran NFL writer Peter King of Sports Illustrated is doing his own player rankings and rated Steelers safety Troy Polamalu No. 50, which is another surprise.

Polamalu is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. How is it possible for 49 players to be better? Polamalu was recently voted the top defensive player in ESPN.com's Power Rankings, and the choice was unanimous.

Both rankings are shocking.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... re-snubbed (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28293/roethlisberger-polamalu-are-snubbed)

frankthetank1
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
what ben 41 and troy 50? that is a joke. when i first heard about how the players were picking the list i thought it would be much better. after i saw number 100 which was donovon mcnabb i thought it was stupid. so of the top 100 the gap between mcnabb and ben is 100-41 :lol: :lol: :lol: i'd say the gap between the two qb's is a wee bit larger than that

aggiebones
06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow this is a joke.
Reigning Defensive MVP is 50. I'll roll on the floor if Ray and Reed are top 20.

RuthlessBurgher
06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Troy at 50 is Peter King's own personal list on his MMQB, not the player's vote.