PDA

View Full Version : Wallace has time to improve status

MadSteel
05-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers wideout Mike Wallace is among the young, emerging receivers in the NFL, but with just two seasons in the league he is not yet among the best, according to ESPN.com’s annual Power Rankings.

Bloggers John Clayton, Mike Sando, Kevin Seifert, Pat Yasinskas, Tim Graham, Bill Williamson, James Walker and Paul Kuharsky ranked the top wide receivers in the NFL for the poll, and Wallace received one seventh-, one ninth- and one 10th-place vote for seven points to finish 12th.

New England’s Wes Welker also had seven, but they were just three points from the top 10 and Brandon Marshall from the New York Giants. If Wallace continues to pile up stats, he’ll move up the list in no time.

As a rookie in 2009, he had 39 catches for 756 yards and six touchdowns. This past season, those numbers increased to 60 catches for 1,257 yards and 10 scores. He led the NFL both seasons with 19.4 and 21 yards per catch, respectively.

There appeared to be no doubt among the voters that Houston’s Andre Johnson, Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald and Atlanta’s Roddy White are the top three wide receivers, and that’s how they finished. But the voting wasn’t uniform, as they tallied 66, 63 and 61 points, respectively.

Johnson placed first on four ballots to go with one second, but he had two fourths a sixth-place finish as well. Fitzgerald had two firsts, two seconds and two thirds, but he also had a fourth and a ninth, which cost him first place. White had two firsts, a second, third and fourth to go with two fifths and a sixth.

Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne from the Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay’s Greg Jennings placed fourth through sixth with 58, 47 and 39 points, respectively. The next three were Kansas City’s Dwayne Bowe, Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson and Denver’s Brandon Lloyd with 29, 25 and 21 points.

Santonio Holmes, just a couple years from winning the Super Bowl MVP, placed 13th, while San Diego’s Vincent Jackson was 14th. Miles Austin from the Dallas Cowboys and Marques Colston from the New Orleans Saints also received votes. Possible future Hall of Famers Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Hines Ward did not get any votes.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/ste ... ve-status/ (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/steelers-wallace-has-time-to-improve-status/)

steelblood
05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
"Brandon Marshall from the New York Giants"? Did I miss something?

flippy
05-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd take Wallace over anyone else ahead of him. His speed is lethal and opens up the entire offense in a way the other WRs don't.

Oviedo
05-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I'd take Wallace over anyone else ahead of him. His speed is lethal and opens up the entire offense in a way the other WRs don't.

Wallace needs someone like Sweed who can provide a legit deep counter to take the over the top coverage away from him. Once we get that Wallace will be unstoppable.

steelcurtain44
05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
He's already unstoppable in my opinion. After that superbowl, it left no doubt in my mind that Wallace can do what he wants. Ben just missed him way to many times, when Wallace beat over the top, under, and around the top coverage in that game. He was running wide open.

feltdizz
05-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Wallace needs someone like Sweed who can provide a legit deep counter to take the over the top coverage away from him. Once we get that Wallace will be unstoppable.

we don't need anyone like Sweed....

Oviedo
05-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Ww can disagree, but obviously I'm referring to Sweed playing up to his potential and physical abilities. If he does it will be a huge boost to our WR group.

I'm pulling for Sweed to have everything come together, while I'm sure just as many or more want to see him fail.

steelblood
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
I certainly don't want to see Sweed fail. It would be great if he panned out. But, I think most here are trying to be realistic. Sweed has a lot to overcome. It is certainly possible, but, I fear, it is unlikely.

I do agree with Oviedo that Wallace can be even more effective with another guy who can stretch the field across from him. Sanders might be the guy. But, it would be nice to have a big bodied guy with good downfield speed.

feltdizz
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Ww can disagree, but obviously I'm referring to Sweed playing up to his potential and physical abilities. If he does it will be a huge boost to our WR group.

I'm pulling for Sweed to have everything come together, while I'm sure just as many or more want to see him fail.

No one wants to see Sweed fail.........again.

feltdizz
05-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I certainly don't want to see Sweed fail. It would be great if he panned out. But, I think most here are trying to be realistic. Sweed has a lot to overcome. It is certainly possible, but, I fear, it is unlikely.

:Agree

A lot of people on this board were happy to see Nate Washington leave because he couldn't catch and Sweed has "upside" :wink:

Most people forget Sweed dropped a perfectly thrown pass in the Chargers playoff game a week before the Baltimore game.

I have ZERO faith in Sweed.. this way if he does produce I'll be surprised.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM

A lot of people on this board were happy to see Nate Washington leave because he couldn't catch and Sweed has "upside" :wink:

Most people forget Sweed dropped a perfectly thrown pass in the Chargers playoff game a week before the Baltimore game.

I liked Washington when he was here (never understood the venom for him by some, since he WAY outperformed expectations for an UDFA from Tiffin), but in the grand scheme of things, Nate leaving for Tennessee after the 2008 season resulted in the team looking for a WR in the 2009 draft who had deep speed to fill those empty shoes, opening the door for the addition of Mike Wallace. I think that turned out okay.

:tt2 :tt1

feltdizz
05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

I liked Washington when he was here (never understood the venom for him by some, since he WAY outperformed expectations for an UDFA from Tiffin), but in the grand scheme of things, Nate leaving for Tennessee after the 2008 season resulted in the team looking for a WR in the 2009 draft who had deep speed to fill those empty shoes, opening the door for the addition of Mike Wallace. I think that turned out okay.

I think Sweed stinking up the place opened the door for Wallace.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2011, 01:09 PM

I think Sweed stinking up the place opened the door for Wallace.

If the goal was to replace our "size" WR in Sweed, they might have made a mistake in taking the 6'7" Ramses Barden from Cal Poly instead (taken by the Giants one pick after we took Wallace). But we replaced our "speed" WR in Washington with another "speed" WR in Wallace.