PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor to Troy Polamalu: Come to Orlando & Train With Us

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2011, 01:10 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/05/19/taylor-to-polamalu-come-to-orlando/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Taylor to Polamalu: Come to Orlando
May 19th, 2011
If Steelers safety Troy Polamalu doesn’t switch coasts in the coming weeks it won’t stem from a lack of lobbying on Ike Taylor’s behalf.
The veteran cornerback has been trying to persuade Polamalu to join him and a handful of other Steelers at Tom Shaw Performance Camp in Orlando with the NFL lockout threatening to wipe out all offseason workouts and practices at team facilities.
Taylor, linebacker James Farrior and cornerbacks William Gay and Bryant McFadden are among the Steelers that are training with Shaw at Disney’s Wide World of Sports complex or have spent time there this offseason.
What might keep Polamalu from joining them is his well-documented desire to stay in California during the offseason. Polamalu is so “family-oriented,” as Taylor put it, that he usually skips most of the voluntary practices that are held during a normal offseason.
Taylor’s plan for Polamalu working out in Florida without compromising the time he wants to spend with his wife and two young sons?
“He can bring his whole family,” Taylor said last week after working out under Shaw’s direction. “Him and his wife can stay in my bed, I’ll stay on the couch. That’s how bad I want him here. He can put his clothes in my room and I’m on the couch.”
Efforts to reach Polamalu have been unsuccessful but Shaw said the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year has told him that he plans to go to the Orlando area in the coming weeks.
“Troy said, ‘I’ve been injured for the last three years. Ike, James, William Gay haven’t missed a play so I’ve got to find out what they’re doing,’ ” Shaw said. “I can guarantee that we’ll do things that will strengthen his weaknesses because we do a whole body training, we don’t just do one thing. We sprint, we run, we backpedal turn and run. We add resistance to it. Well pull that sled with your arms.”
Polamalu, who turned 30 last month, has not played an entire season since 2008.
Knee injuries sidelined the six-time Pro Bowler for six games in 2009. Last season, an Achilles injury cost Polamalu cost two games near the end of the regular season and hobbled him during the postseason.
Taylor and Gay, meanwhile, have yet to miss a game because of an injury. Farrior has played in 154 of 158 games since signing with the Steelers as a free agent in 2002.
All three swear by Shaw, particularly Taylor and Farrior. The two have been with Shaw for years, and they work out with the highly regarded speed coach -- in the broiling central Florida weather -- before the start of training camp every year.
“Training camp is a breeze compared to the stuff we do here,” Farrior said.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2011, 01:29 PM
this is the type of thing that bodes well for Ike re-signing with us, if the money is close enough this type of friendship with other teammates could make the difference.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Shaw must be doing something right with his training and conditioning programs...for Taylor and Farrior to have missed so few games, that's just amazing. Maybe not just Troy, but the whole team could benefit by signing up with Shaw.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Shaw must be doing something right with his training and conditioning programs...for Taylor and Farrior to have missed so few games, that's just amazing. Maybe not just Troy, but the whole team could benefit by signing up with Shaw.

William Gay, who also works out with Ike and Potsie and Shaw in Orlando, has played in all 16 games in each of his 4 years in the league. Then again, we may have been better off if he had been injured for a few of those games. :lol:

Oviedo
05-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Love Troy but I don't think his primary interests lie with getting ready for the season. He likes his comfort zone in Cali and no way to I see him leaving that for any reason. Objectively, whatever he does with Marinovich doesn't seem to work for a conditioning routine. It may be great for explosiveness but his body is breaking down too much over the course of a season.

feltdizz
05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Love Troy but I don't think his primary interests lie with getting ready for the season. He likes his comfort zone in Cali and no way to I see him leaving that for any reason. Objectively, whatever he does with Marinovich doesn't seem to work for a conditioning routine. It may be great for explosiveness but his body is breaking down too much over the course of a season.

I don't think any amount of conditioning will protect Troy from injury.

Oviedo
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM

I don't think any amount of conditioning will protect Troy from injury.

You could be right given his style of play, but it would be nice to see him try something else.