PDA

View Full Version : Colbert can get Big Ben his big WR in the 2012 draft...

steelblood
05-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Check out Walter Football's Top WR prospects for the 2012 draft...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012WR.php

20 out of 30 are 6'2" or taller.

10 of the top 20 weigh 215 pounds or more.

This class is full of big receivers from the top through the later rounds. This class could be like the DL class of the 2011 draft. Great depth of talent could allow the Steelers to take a very good WR later than he would normally go.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2011, 10:08 AM
My kids, still big fans of Nickelodeon cartoons, want us to draft Al Toon's kid, Nick.

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/681/681647/nicktoons-unite-20060117044357694_640w.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SGuDbwOmDmw/SwWogZQvJkI/AAAAAAAAAC4/oFWyfc6qUAw/s1600/111409_footballvmichigan0506.jpg

Oviedo
05-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping Sweed gets right this year and we will have our 6'4" WR. IMO Sweed is exactly what we need opposite Wallace.

Coming out of college Sweed was rated better than half the guys on that list.

feltdizz
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm hoping Sweed gets right this year and we will have our 6'4" WR. IMO Sweed is exactly what we need opposite Wallace.

After the way Nate Washington was treated I can't see how Sweed is allowed to step on the practice field let alone wear a Steeler uni.

steelblood
05-20-2011, 12:13 PM
How was Nate Washington treated?

steelblood
05-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Sweed was highly thought of coming out of college. But, that really doesn't matter any more. You are talking about a receiver that has dropped balls in big games, had a mental breakdown, and suffered a significant injury. Also, even if he plays well this season, he is not under contract for 2012. It is difficult to project him with the Steelers beyond this season (if he even makes the team).

sentinel33
05-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Colbert might be able to get one this year if he can get either Toliver,Gurley or Brown signed for camp to push Sweed. Personally, I hope Sweed finds it, and finds it big. cause thats what it will take to get a spot.

Shawn
05-20-2011, 03:35 PM

$$$

I realize the man has shown us nothing to make us think he will be a success in the NFL. But, I'm stuck on the guy. I seen what he is capable of doing to a D on the college level. If he can indeed get his hands and his head right...I still think he could be special. There must be a good reason the Steelers have kept him around this long.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM

$$$

I realize the man has shown us nothing to make us think he will be a success in the NFL. But, I'm stuck on the guy. I seen what he is capable of doing to a D on the college level. If he can indeed get his hands and his head right...I still think he could be special. There must be a good reason the Steelers have kept him around this long.

He was a 2nd round pick. They get more of a benefit of the doubt than a 6th or 7th rounder. Even Ricardo Colclough stuck around in Pittsburgh for 4 seasons because he was a 2nd round pick.

papillon
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM

After the way Nate Washington was treated I can't see how Sweed is allowed to step on the practice field let alone wear a Steeler uni.

Did Sweed beat up a friend of yours or treat a family member poorly? Geesh, there's no harm in allowing him to compete. Until the injury last year weren't there good things being said about his work habits, catching the ball, etc?

It costs the Steelers only the time to evaluate him if they let him come to camp; they'd be foolish not to let him come to camp, IMO.

Pappy

Shawn
05-20-2011, 05:29 PM

$$$

He was a 2nd round pick. They get more of a benefit of the doubt than a 6th or 7th rounder. Even Ricardo Colclough stuck around in Pittsburgh for 4 seasons because he was a 2nd round pick.

At least Coclough was playing.

Shawn
05-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Did Sweed beat up a friend of yours or treat a family member poorly? Geesh, there's no harm in allowing him to compete. Until the injury last year weren't there good things being said about his work habits, catching the ball, etc?

It costs the Steelers only the time to evaluate him if they let him come to camp; they'd be foolish not to let him come to camp, IMO.

Pappy

$$$

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2011, 10:04 PM

$$$

At least Coclough was playing.

And letting punts bounce off his face, which is worse that dropping what would have been TD passes, because at least after a WR drops a pass, our offense still has the ball. When a punt returner lets the ball hit him in the face, then the opponent can recover in excellent field position. We would have been better off if Colclough spent a year on I.R., like Sweed did.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Adversity sometimes brings out the best in an individual. I would say Sweed is at that fork in the road going into camp. No more chances, no more excuses, no more shots. If he doesn't respond now after suffering a devastating injury and all his set backs leading up to it....He won't ever hit his potential in his Steelers uniform and it is time to move on. I'm routing for him, but I wouldn't ink him in anywhere until he hits the field and does in consistantly for the whole season. It's just the reality of the situation right now. He slipped down the rope after starting at the top and younger WRs have been crawling over him to move up. He has the biggest battle going into camp and it might not just be for a roster spot on the Steelers...It might be for his dream of playing in the NFL again.

flippy
05-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Sweed still has the potential to be our #1 WR. I hope he gets a legit shot.

I like the kid's attitude personally. He drops a TD pass in a big spot and then comes back and levels someone. It's weird how a drop or 2 can define a guy.

I remember wondering if we'd take Sweed when we drafted Mendy in the first round that year. I couldn't believe he was still on the board in the 2nd. This kid is one of the most talented WR prospects in a long time. He's got a lot more to offer than your average tall WR. Let's just hope he puts it all together this year.

I think he's capable of being great.

Shawn
05-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Sweed still has the potential to be our #1 WR. I hope he gets a legit shot.

I like the kid's attitude personally. He drops a TD pass in a big spot and then comes back and levels someone. It's weird how a drop or 2 can define a guy.

I remember wondering if we'd take Sweed when we drafted Mendy in the first round that year. I couldn't believe he was still on the board in the 2nd. This kid is one of the most talented WR prospects in a long time. He's got a lot more to offer than your average tall WR. Let's just hope he puts it all together this year.

I think he's capable of being great.

He certainly has things Burress didn't have. He has shown in college he has the ability to grab a ball when the the DB has no chance on it. He has a terrific size speed combo. I don't think the Steelers remotely doubt his physical ability. I believe that is why he is still with this team. It's the other things that are big question marks. I suppose we will know more soon enough.