PDA

View Full Version : It’s Better to Dump a Player a Year Too Early

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
It’s Better to Dump a Player a Year Too Early

Posted on May 19, 2011 by adam

If you’re a baseball fan, or if you happened to watch ESPN for more than a minute in the past five days, you’ve likely been bludgeoned with the sledgehammer that is the Jorge Posada-New York Yankees soap opera.

For those of you unfamiliar, here’s what went down…

Jorge Posada is the long-time catcher of the Yankees, a great player in his prime and part of the core that won multiple World Series titles between 1996 and 2009. Currently, he’s 39 years old, in the final year of a four-year contract that pays him a total of $52.4 million and is struggling mightily at the plate. His OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) is .653 which puts him 144th out of 189 players that qualify for the batting title.

Translation: He stinks out loud.

Because of this, Yankees manager Joe Girardi had the audacity to drop him to 9th in the lineup this past week. Posada was originally reported to be livid with that injustice, pulled himself out of the lineup, and it became the only topic of discussion around Major League Baseball for the remainder of the weekend, complete with the national media asking fans whose side they were on.

Further complicating matters was the fact Yankees icon and starting shortstop, Derek Jeter, came to the defense of Posada in the following days. Jeter, of course, was involved in a very public, and at times overly dramatic, contract negotiation in the offseason that resulted in the 36-year-old receiving a three-year, $51 million deal despite the fact he is clearly on the downside of his career. This only added to the controversy because the Jeter-front office relationship was already considered to be on the rocks because of this past winter’s dealings.

Instead of parting ways with popular players that once helped lead the team championships and are now on the decline, the Yankees dug into their bottomless pit of money and drastically overpaid for decreasing production.

I happened to (unintentionally) catch part of Mark Madden’s show on Tuesday as he was talking about this story and brought up an interesting comparison: the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers never find themselves forced to play aging, once-great players that no longer are because their approach seems to be one of “it’s better to get rid of somebody a year too early than a year too late.”

The Yankees and Steelers, of course, operate in different sports with different rules. The Yankees, a cash cow that hasn’t been restricted by a salary cap, can spend any amount of money they want on any player without having to worry about how it could hurt the rest of their team (even if it does). If they make a $20 million mistake and miss on a player, it doesn’t matter as much as it would a team in a salary cap sport (or a team that doesn’t have their financial resources).

But it still matters. Opportunity cost is still at work.

By paying Derek Jeter or Jorge Posada over $15 million per year at this point in their career, it makes it impossible for them to be benched, and there’s no way they’re going to bring in somebody else to replace them. Had they done the unpopular thing and simply moved on, they would have been able to fill that spot with a younger, better player. Would Yankees fans have been pissed? In the short term, yes, but they would have quickly gotten over it and still had the memories.

The Steelers aren’t afraid to move on. Can it be cruel? Sure. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t necessary.

This kind of goes back to the argument from last week about whether or not the Steelers should have kept Alan Faneca, and what, if any, difference he could have made for the 2011 Steelers. Faneca was a great Steeler, a Hall of Famer, and one of the best offensive lineman to ever suit up for the team. He was also a popular player that fit the “image” of a Pittsburgh Steeler: Tough, hard-working, no-nonsense, etc., etc., etc. That also made him extremely popular, which didn’t stop the Steelers from parting ways when it became obvious his price was going to go beyond his current level of production.

And for as loathed as the interior of the Steelers offensive line has been over the past three years, they were still probably better off, both in a football sense as well as a financial sense, to let Faneca go.

The biggest thing I remember about the Jeter negotiations was the public perception (mainly from the media) that they HAD to pay him because of everything he did, what he meant and how unfathomable it would be to see him in another uniform. And that’s just crazy. Franco Harris and Mike Webster finished their careers in Seattle and Kansas City respectively, and the world didn’t spin off of its axis. Thirty years later, it’s not even a blip on the radar screen.

For more recent examples you have guys like Carnell Lake, Joey Porter and Willie Parker. It doesn’t always work out perfectly, though. The Steelers clearly let Rod Woodson go too soon, which was clearly a mistake, and they’ll be the first to admit it (and they have admitted it). Still, there’s going to come a time, perhaps sooner rather than later, when the Steelers are going to have make difficult decisions on guys like Aaron Smith, Hines Ward and perhaps even Troy Polamalu. Great players, championship players and popular players. Guys you would love to see play their entire career with the Steelers, but If history is any indicator they’re likely — and perhaps rightly — to be willing to let them go as soon as their price tag exceeds their on-field value.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/d ... mment-6023 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/dump-player-year-early/#comment-6023)

Shawn
05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
The Steelers seem to have a pretty good record with this policy. It allows them to keep their young uprising talent, and allow other teams to pay for a guy on the decline.

Even though the Steelers are hurting at DB, it's why they won't overpay for Ike. As good as I believe Ike to be, I don't believe he will be a top 5-10 DB for more than a couple more seasons. What will it be like paying a 33 yo DB 10-12 million per season in the middle of his contract, who can no longer be the #1 DB? Would that money best be served to sign Timmons and Woodley? Same goes for Troy. As terrific as he is, I would bet he might have 2 more productive seasons left. Do you break the bank to keep him? At what cost?

feltdizz
05-20-2011, 12:43 PM
The Steelers seem to have a pretty good record with this policy. It allows them to keep their young uprising talent, and allow other teams to pay for a guy on the decline.

Even though the Steelers are hurting at DB, it's why they won't overpay for Ike. As good as I believe Ike to be, I don't believe he will be a top 5-10 DB for more than a couple more seasons. What will it be like paying a 33 yo DB 10-12 million per season in the middle of his contract, who can no longer be the #1 DB? Would that money best be served to sign Timmons and Woodley? Same goes for Troy. As terrific as he is, I would bet he might have 2 more productive seasons left. Do you break the bank to keep him? At what cost?

Wow.. I'm surprised there are still a few fans and writers who know how the Steelers operate.

The only thing I disagree on is Troy. Anytime you have a player that forces the opponent to dedicate half their week watching film it's worth every cent to pay him top dollar.

Oviedo
05-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Wow.. I'm surprised there are still a few fans and writers who know how the Steelers operate.

The only thing I disagree on is Troy. Anytime you have a player that forces the opponent to dedicate half their week watching film it's worth every cent to pay him top dollar.

Troy is going to be the toughest one that the organization has had to deal with. If he has another injury riddled season then I think you need to stop and give pause as to whether he is worth a top investment. No one has his physical gifts but they are booby prizes when they are stuck on the sideline.

D Rock
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I think Troy would take the Barry Sanders approach and retire early if his body was breaking down to the point of not being effective anymore.

It's a near certainty he has taken care of his money. He doesn't need to keep playing if his body tells him not to. And he will always have endorsements and a career available because of his personality to fall back on if needed.

Ben210
05-20-2011, 02:30 PM
He has his degree now too.

Shawn
05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I agree Troy is the toughest to deal with. What I suspect will happen is we see a very uncharacteristic signing of Troy to money he deserves but will probably not be healthy enough to earn. Why do I believe that will happen? One name...Woodson. One of the biggest errors in judgment within the organization still haunts them. I don't think they want a replay of that action. Which leads me to believe Ike could be gone unless he is indeed willing to take a substantial home town discount.

feltdizz
05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't think Woodson has anything to do with the Troy factor. Troy is a once in a lifetime player and he doesn't come off as the type of guy who would let his ego get the best of him.

Woodson also had a serious injury and we thought he was done. I don't think the FO would let a cash cow like Troy go... He is too good of a citizen on and off the field. He is probably the only player besides Bettis who I could bet the house on that he will retire a Steeler.

Hines should retire a Steeler but he has a huge ego so I could see him hollding on way past his prime while thinking he should get top dollar.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Harris: Is old age catching up to the Steelers?

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 21, 2011

When did it all change for the Steelers? When did they begin stockpiling veteran players past 30?

Linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca were the last key veterans who didn't finish their careers in Pittsburgh. Porter and Faneca were 29 when they played their final game with the Steelers.

Porter, who was released in a salary cap move after the 2006 season, had one year remaining on his contract. Five days after his release, he signed a five-year, $32 million contract ($20 million guaranteed) with Miami. After three seasons with the Dolphins, Porter signed a three-year, $24.5 million deal ($17.5 million guaranteed) with Arizona.

Faneca, who played out his contract with the Steelers, became disenchanted when he didn't receive what he considered a market-value contract offer from the team. He signed a five-year, $40 million contract ($21 million guaranteed) with the Jets as a free agent. After two seasons in New York, Faneca signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal with Arizona. He announced his retirement last week.

Before the start of last season, the Steelers underwent an unprecedented change in philosophy: The Steelers acquired five veterans (Bryant McFadden, Antwaan Randle El, Larry Foote, Flozell Adams and Arnaz Battle), including three projected starters (McFadden, Randle El and Adams). Three of the newcomers (Adams, Randle El and Battle) were 30 or older.

The Steelers invested $30.275 million in potential salaries and $4.175 million in signing bonuses in those five players.

Add in the 2011 salaries of 30-or-older contributors Troy Polamalu ($6.4 million), James Harrison ($4.56 million), Aaron Smith ($4.5 million), Casey Hampton ($3.9 million), Brett Keisel ($3.025 million), Hines Ward ($3.0 million), James Farrior ($2.825 million) and Ryan Clark ($2.5 million), and it proves the Steelers continue to make a substantial commitment to their veterans.

"It may not be by design. It just may be by circumstance that it's occurring this way,'' said California-based agent Jeff Sperbeck, who includes Porter and quarterback Dennis Dixon among his clients. "The Steelers have great players at a number of positions that are getting older. The team leaders and a lot of great players are still playing at a high level, so they may deviate from their philosophy and maybe allow it longer than they have in the past."

Under former coach Bill Cowher, the Steelers were more likely to let a veteran player go a year early. Harrison replaced Porter at right outside linebacker. Chris Kemoeatu replaced Faneca at left guard. Lawrence Timmons replaced Foote at inside linebacker.

Under coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers have been forced to reach out to veterans to compensate for a lack of depth at certain positions.

Players such as receiver Limas Sweed and cornerback Keenan Lewis, who were drafted to become starters, have been slow to develop. That resulted in the Steelers re-acquiring McFadden to start at left cornerback and Randle El to be the No. 3 receiver. Adams was signed to replace Willie Colon, who missed last season with an Achilles injury. Foote and Battle were acquired for depth and special teams play.

"I'm sure the effort was there the last few drafts to bring in bodies at those positions that may not have panned out,'' Sperbeck said. "They have been so good bringing in guys like (LaMarr) Woodley, Harrison and Timmons to replace other players.''

Randle El lost his job to Emmanuel Sanders, a third-round draft pick last year, but he could still be in the mix in 2011. Sanders suffered a broken foot in Super Bowl XLV and has had two surgeries on the same foot.

It isn't known at this point if the Steelers plan to keep Adams or Colon — or both — to play right tackle.

The Steelers have found likely replacements for Smith (Ziggy Hood), Keisel (rookie Cameron Heyward) and Harrison (Jason Worilds and rookie Chris Carter) and potential replacements for Ward (Sanders and Antonio Brown) and Farrior (Stevenson Sylvester).

Next on the agenda: targeting and grooming potential replacements for Polamalu, Hampton and Clark.

"When you have a mass exodus of veterans, look at some of the dynasties — the 49ers, Cowboys and others — that lost a lot of great players at the same time because they held on to them for those Super Bowl runs,'' Sperbeck said. "That philosophy of trying to win one more sometimes tends to backfire. 'OK, we got away from our core philosophy, which is to upgrade, improve, stay young and always keep the team in the hunt.' (The Steelers) might ultimately have to be patient.''

For now, the Steelers will go as far as their core of veterans take them.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1N0SHP1Jy (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_738213.html#ixzz1N0SHP1Jy)

Shawn
05-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure I can completely agree with that article. While we are getting older and hanging onto some vets, we have legit replacements for nearly all of them. We do need to replace Troy, Clark and Hampton at some point but that isn't today. You can't replace all your aging vets in one or two drafts. While the Steelers have hung onto some core vets they have also drafted well.