PDA

View Full Version : Lamarr Woodley radio interview transcript

MadSteel
05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
LaMarr Woodley: “Every year we seem to prove everybody wrong and be a contender in the Super Bowl.”
May 19, 2011 – 11:30 am by Michael Bean

Assuming there is a 2011 NFL season, LaMarr Woodley is scheduled to play under the Franchise Tag for the six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Does Pittsburgh plan to keep Woodley around long term and re-sign him to a big contract at some point this offseason or next? Most Steelers fans sure hope so, but I’m not convinced the organization will pony up the money it could take to retain him. I’m also not convinced that Woodley is going to age as well as some, like say, his counterpart on the opposite side, James Harrison. That will play itself out eventually. Woodley’s already played the waiting game once last year while seeing if he was going to get paid handsomely by the team that drafted him in the second round of the 2007 draft. From the sound of it, he’ll be just fine staying focused and helping the team win for another year before worrying about his future with the Steelers.

Woodley joined 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh to talk about how the lockout has affected him personally, if he feels like he’ll be at a disadvantage from not having worked out in a group with his teammates this offseason, how long it took him to get over the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay, what game outside of the Super Bowl was most memorable for him last year, if he was at all affected mentally last season by not being re-signed by the Steelers to a long-term deal, reaching out to rookie defensive lineman Cameron Heyward, how he thinks the defense can still help the Steelers get back to the SB despite everyone thinking it’s too old, and how he’s going to try to make it out to LA next week to support Hines Ward in the final of Dancing With The Stars.

On how the lockout has affected him personally:

“I’ve just been doing what I do every year and that’s just staying in shape. A lot of people are so concerned about the Lockout right now, but we’re locked out during the season. Usually right now, we’d probably be in OTAs which is non-contact practice with helmets on, but every guys is just doing what he’s supposed to do to stay in shape even though we don’t have OTAs.”

If he feels like he’ll be at a disadvantage from not having worked out in a group with his teammates this offseason:

“No disadvantage at all. When we were in OTAs, most of the time it was watching film and practice maybe lasted an hour. So that don’t put us at a disadvantage at all, there’s no contact involved. It’s not like it’s full speed. Once we get to “training camp, everybody’s on the same playing field.”

What what would happen to him and his future if there is no Franchise Tag in a new Collective Bargaining Agreement:

“Honestly, I can’t tell you what would happen in that situation right there. They told me once the CBA was worked out or whatever that we were going to work out a long-term deal. So either way it goes, hopefully we’re working on something when everything gets figured out.”

How long did it take him to get over the Steelers loss in SB XLV to the Packers:

“You know, I was actually just watching the NFL Network’s Greatest 20 Games from the 2011 season and the Super Bowl made No. 19. I know we had opportunities to win that game and we just had too many mistakes. Green Bay was just a better team that day. But it’s not a game that’s going to be in the back of my mind throughout the season. All I want to do is make sure we get back to that Super Bowl, and when we get back there, hopefully this time we win the game.”

If there was a game outside of SB XLV that he thought was most memorable last year:

“Oh, the game I probably enjoyed the most was probably a great game for us against the Baltimore Ravens. I think they had us down 21-3 going into halftime which was somewhat similar to the Super Bowl. But against a team like Baltimore, we fought all the way back and came out on top.”

If he was mentally affected by not being re-signed to a long-term deal at around this time last year:

“No, the approach I was taking and always take is ‘things you can’t control, don’t be upset about it, don’t worry about it.’ That was out of my control whether the Steelers wanted to sign me to a long-term deal. So I wasn’t worried about it. I had a few interviews and sometimes people asked me questions, I just tell them what’s on my mind and sometimes they can get taken the wrong way. But I wasn’t one of those guys who was really concerned with their contract situation because I wasn’t going to let that be a distraction towards me or my teammates going into the season because I knew the ultimate goal was going to the Super Bowl.”

On if the defense can help the Steelers get back to the Super Bowl again despite its age and if rookie Cameron Heyward will be able to contribute:

“Oh definitely. Every year they talk about our defense being an old group, but every year we seem to prove everybody wrong and be a contender in the Super Bowl. So we’re not worried about how our team is aging. When he comes in he’s going to be with a bunch of veteran guys, guys like Aaron Smith showing him the way. He’s really going to learn a lot and he’s really going to help us win this year.”

On Hines Ward’s impressive showing on Dancing With The Stars:

“He’s been doing a great job, definitely focused. The guy can move! I didn’t know Hines can move like that, and he keeps that smile on his face and he’s really into it. Actually I’m thinking about going out there on Monday to be in the audience this week. I’ve been invited before but the whole thing I’m hesitant about is that five hour flight — that’s a long flight to the West Coast.”

Is Ward going to get any flack from his teammates for the whole DWTS ordeal:

“Oh no. I tell you one thing, he looks better than Ochocinco out there. So that’s another beating we gave the Cincinnati Bengals having Hines Ward outperform him.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/0 ... chise-tag/ (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/05/19/woodley-steelers-nfl-lockout-best-linebackers-free-agency-franchise-tag/)

Eich
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh no. I tell you one thing, he looks better than Ochocinco out there. So that’s another beating we gave the Cincinnati Bengals having Hines Ward outperform him.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

:bungalssuck

Shawn
05-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I would not be shocked to see Worilds getting some serious reps at LOLB this season. If he proves to be a quality low cost alternative to Woodley...it wouldn't shock me to see the Steelers letting him walk.

steelz09
05-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Shawn,

I could see that as well but I definitely wouldn't agree with it. It all goes back to the Timmons vs Woodley argument.

Timmons does cover and is a tackling machine but there are two things about Woodley that Timmons simply can't match at the moment.

1) The sacks. Woodley is typically a mismatch due to his brute strength bull rush. I like Timmons but man when is the guy going to learn to play under control when he blitzes.

2) Big time plays in big moments.

You need to have those players that play "big" in important such as playoff games. Woodley has done this especially in the playoffs. In the playoffs, he might be second to only Polamalu on defense that that steps up. Yes, I wish he'd be more consistent. But if I had to choose, I'd much rather have him peaking during the playoffs than during the regular season.

MadSteel
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Shawn,

I could see that as well but I definitely wouldn't agree with it. It all goes back to the Timmons vs Woodley argument.

Timmons does cover and is a tackling machine but there are two things about Woodley that Timmons simply can't match at the moment.

1) The sacks. Woodley is typically a mismatch due to his brute strength bull rush. I like Timmons but man when is the guy going to learn to play under control when he blitzes.

You need to have those players that play "big" in important such as playoff games. Woodley has done this especially in the playoffs. In the playoffs, he might be second to only Polamalu on defense that that steps up. Yes, I wish he'd be more consistent. But if I had to choose, I'd much rather have him peaking during the playoffs than during the regular season.

I agree totally. Maybe Worilds could be the next Pro Bowl OLB, but the biggest concern with that is "could be". Woodley is proven and is a machine. I hope he plays here until he is useless.

NJ-STEELER
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
i know he played the in the miami game at LOLB

but didn't JW play exclusively at ROLB in pre season??

flippy
05-19-2011, 11:16 PM
When have we ever let an up and coming superstar go in their prime?

Where in the heck does this Woodley vs Timmons talk come from? It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

steelz09
05-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Because we have Timmons, Ike, Polamalu, and Woodley that need new contracts.

If Ike leaves then there's money to sign the other three. But if Ike signs and Polamalu is signed (and he will be). Then you have Timmons and Woodley. I don't see the Steelers signing both... I guess due to the drafts, age (& grooming) the Steelers would choose Timmons over Woodley. That's assuming Timmons' agent, Rosenhaus doesn't ask for ridiculous money.

Shawn
05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Shawn,

I hear ya...not sure I completely agree. But, I do believe Woodley is quite the player. He is a terrific young talent. With that said, it's less about Woodley vs Timmons and more about Woodley vs Worilds. If Worilds shows serious ability this season the Steelers would have a wonderful problem on their hands. Do I believe the Steelers would go with a younger cheaper talent even if he isn't Woodley...at least yet? Yep. And, I think this season they are going to want to find out about Worilds. I'm not convinced they will sign Woodley until they find out.

Shawn
05-19-2011, 11:53 PM

If Ike leaves then there's money to sign the other three. But if Ike signs and Polamalu is signed (and he will be). Then you have Timmons and Woodley. I don't see the Steelers signing both... I guess due to the drafts, age (& grooming) the Steelers would choose Timmons over Woodley. That's assuming Timmons' agent, Rosenhaus doesn't ask for ridiculous money.

I must agree. Believe it or not I think the Steelers desire to sign those players fall in this order...

1) Timmons
2) Polamalu
3) Woodley
4) Taylor

I know it sounds a bit crazy to put Timmons over Troy...but Timmons is the next great LBr talent. And while Troy might be the best SS to ever play the game, he is often injured and aging. At 30 yo, Troy has alot of wear on that body. I'm not sure Troy has another full contract left in him. I think at best Troy has 3 more quality seasons. Timmons has to be the #1 priority.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Woodley upset that football is “turning soft”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 25, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/l-woodleykick.jpg?w=151

LaMarr Woodley was only just getting started when he criticized the NFL via Twitter for the “Steelers Rule” which will fine teams for excessive player safety rules infractions.

“Man, they’re getting ridiculous. Football is turning soft now,” Woodley told Rich Gannon and Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday. “Too many fines. Too many penalties protecting the quarterback every single play. Defensive guys can’t be defensive guys no more.”

Woodley seems to believe that fines in general aren’t an effective deterrent.

“Man, I think it’s so stupid. I mean, it’s football. I mean, that’s what you signed up for. You signed up, when you played football you knew it was going to be an aggressive game. There’s a chance of you getting hurt and having serious injuries. So that’s what you signed up for.

“So I think having all the fines and penalties is stupid because it is taking away from the game. We knew what we were signing up for when we started playing football. We knew that. Everybody knows that. Every quarterback knows that. Roger Goodell knew that. I don’t know if he ever played football so maybe he don’t really understand the hard hitting of the sport,” Woodley said. (Goodell was the captain on his high school team.)

Ultimately, complaints about Goodell’s measures for player safety are to be expected. And they won’t make much of a difference. It sounds like fining teams won’t change Woodley’s approach.

“We didn’t get six Lombardis by playing soft football,” Woodley said. “We got them by playing aggressive football, hitting teams hard, and I don’t think that’ll ever change. I don’t care how many times we get fined, that’s just the way we play football. And that’s why we’re gonna keep racking up Lombardis, because that’s how we play football.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ning-soft/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/25/woodley-upset-that-football-is-turning-soft/)

birtikidis
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM

yea, but at the same time, you have Aaron, Hines, Flo, and Farrior at the end of their careers. This will also free up money. As creative as our front office is, we can get these guys done.

ikestops85
05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Given the new rules I think we should abandon our plan of trying to sign Ike, Woodley, Timmons and Troy. Take the money and spend it on the offense. Defense is just going to be a minor part of the game.

THIS BLOWS!!

Eich
05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Given the new rules I think we should abandon our plan of trying to sign Ike, Woodley, Timmons and Troy. Take the money and spend it on the offense. Defense is just going to be a minor part of the game.

THIS BLOWS!!

I hate to agree but it's difficult to argue the point. Offense and scoring lots of points is where the league wants to go.

While they're at it, they might as wel legalize offensive holding. You can't touch the QB anyway and there's holding on every play that may or may not be called. So, just leagalize it already.

It's becoming arena football on a big field.

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2011, 12:08 PM
And yet, they still manage to showcase a Steelers-Ravens bloodbath in primetime each and every season (to the point that the Baltimore brass whined to the league about having to play night games in Pittsburgh). When the violence suits their purposes (making more money with primo TV ratings in prime time), they will take advantage of the hard hitting teams (and this will likely result in the NFL marketing another highlight reel DVD of bonecrushing slobberknockers in the chase of the almighty dollar). Hypocrites.

feltdizz
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM

This is the primary reason Ike wasn't tagged.

LB's run Pittsburgh... Troy is the exception to the rule. That guy is a freak.

hawaiiansteel
06-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers’ Lamar Woodley Lights The Fire

AUTHOR: Adam
JUN 15th, 2011

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/06/1222_large-230x300.jpg

It’s already a fearsome rivalry. Each year when I am taking a look at the Steelers schedule I think to myself, “well, we have to play so-and-so before the Ravens, and then so-and-so after the Ravens. Boy, that’s going to be a tough stretch.” Or, “such-and-such a team could really sneak up on the Steelers since they’ll be playing the Ravens the week before.” If that’s not the definition of respect, I don’t know what is.

And you know what, I’d bet you $100 that Woodley thinks the same way.

Yeah, these guys get pumped up to play each other, but it’s about the whole picture. To the Steelers, the Ravens present an opportunity beat a division opponent, or lose and quickly have a harder time at winning the division. In simpler terms, it’s a big game every single time they play, and no one on the Steelers takes that lightly. Least of all LaMarr Woodley.

Woodley knows it’s a big game, and he knows the Ravens well. He knows his words will spark fury in the hearts of Ravens fans and in the steroid juiced heart of Mr. Ray Lewis himself.

Bring it on.

You see, Woodley wasn’t just spouting off something ridiculous akin to Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Super Bowl win or John Kitna guaranteeing a 10 win season by the hapless Lions. This the the Steelers we’re talking about. We’ve been to three Super Bowls in the last 5 years. Woodley is right. Most likely, the Ravens will have to go through the Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl. We’re not just talking playoffs here either, to get a better road in the playoffs, it will likely come down to whether the Ravens can beat the Steelers in the regular season as well, and as I recall, they’ve never beaten the Steelers with Big Ben at the helm, and nearly lost with the recently bankrupt Batch behind center.

Ravens fans can bitch and moan all they want about Woodley’s comments, but come on, until you can show me that you can win when it matters, Steelers players and fans are going to keep talking like this, so deal with it.

Personally, this is why I love this rivalry so much. It’s an incredible game won by 3 points or less almost every time they play, and then the fans get to talk so much crap throughout the entire season until the Steelers eventually beat the Ravens in the playoffs. What’s not to love? I’m usually a little less confident when it comes to the Steelers. I usually toe lightly around guaranteeing wins and predictions, and I will try to do that here, but what the hell, its the off season and I’m bored.

History has showed us that Big Ben has the Ravens’ number. Not too much unlike how Tom Brady has had the Steelers number since the Steelers ended their ridiculous win streak in 2004, their first meeting with Big Ben at the helm. I have to suffer through that, and you have to suffer through this. Historically speaking, the Steelers are awesome. They are just simply awesome, and the Ravens…fall short. It’s a great rivalry, but I have to assume that I only like it this much because the Steelers usually have the upper hand.

Until that changes, I’ll remain steadfast in my belief that Woodley will undoubtedly back up his words, and that the refs will blow the GD whistle when Ben gets punched in the face by a Raven. I suppose I should be relieved that it wasn’t Ray Lewis stabbing Big Ben instead. That crazy emeffer is bound to strike again. I imagine that the more times Ben beats up on the Ravens, the farther up Ray’s hit list he moves. Somebody lock that guy up!

I’m not gonna lie, football has been in the background of my mind for the last few weeks. I’ve been touring Europe with a band without internet for much of the trip and have been widely disconnected from the goings on in football (not that there are any).

So, when I read the Woodley interview, I was immediately catapulted back in to super-fandom. I love it. I love that he’s out there pumped up to play the Ravens when the season is still months away if we have a season at all. I love that he’s fueling the fire, and I can’t wait to see him back it up in a few short months.

Bring it on.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/15/wo ... #more-7880 (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/15/woodley-lights-the-fire/#more-7880)