PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Tomlin Voted No. 2 Coach

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Steelers’ Tomlin Voted No. 2 Coach

By Dale Grdnic
FNN Staff Writer
May 18, 2011

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/mike-tomlin-175x175.jpg

Apparently, there was no question which NFL coach would be at the top of the list, but the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Mike Tomlin was voted into the No. 2 spot by a slight margin in this year’s ESPN.com Power Rankings series.

Eight panelists — site bloggers John Clayton, Mike Sando, Kevin Seifert, Pat Yasinskas, Tim Graham, Bill Williamson, James Walker and Paul Kuharsky — selected New England’s Bill Belichick first on every ballot. So, he was an overwhelming winner in the poll.

The remaining voting was tighter, especially in the No. 2 spot where Tomlin edged Philadelphia’s Andy Reid by just one point. Tomlin’s four seasons have been extremely successful. He won the AFC North three times to qualify for the post-season as well, and he was 43-21 with a 5-2 mark in the playoffs.

Tomlin’s Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII in his second season, but lost to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV after this past one. One reason some did not vote Tomlin too high was that he came into a situation where the Steelers were just one year removed from winning Super Bowl XL under Bill Cowher, who retired a year later.

Reid is 118-73-1 in 12 seasons with the Eagles. His teams finished first in the NFC East six times and second three times to earn nine playoff appearances where he went 10-9. The Eagles lost four NFC championship games and Super Bowl XXIX after the 2004 season.

Tomlin was second on four of the eight ballots, while Reid was second on three. They both were third on two occasions. But Tomlin also had a fifth and sixth selection, while Reid had a pair of fifths and a fourth. That was the difference.

Seven head coaches were named on every ballot. Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy was fourth, followed by Sean Payton from New Orleans, Tom Coughlin from the New York Giants and Rex Ryan from the New York Jets. Chicago’s Lovie Smith was eighth, while Atlanta’s Mike Smith was ninth. Baltimore’s John Harbaugh was tied for 10th with Mike Shanahan from the Washington Redskins.

McCarthy and Payton were solid in their spots, considering that McCarthy received one second-place vote and two thirds, but Coughlin was just a few points ahead of Ryan. The final four spots were all tight with some not cracking the top 10 at all on a couple ballots.

Two other coaches received votes: Arizona’s Ken Whisenhunt and Jim Caldwell from the Indianapolis Colts were 12th and 13th, respectively.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/ste ... dSk0a6FE3M (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/steelers-tomlin-voted-no-2-coach/#.TdSk0a6FE3M)

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Why is Belichick automatically, unquestionably #1? New England has lost its last 3 playoff games in a row (getting bounced out of the playoffs in their first game the last 2 seasons). He hasn't won a championship since the Spygate sanctions. Since Belichick last raised the Lombardi Trophy, the Steelers have won two Super Bowls and made it to a third. If it were 6 years ago, and he was just coming off 3 Super Bowl victories in 4 seasons (and no one knew about him videotaping opponents signals and feeding that information to Ernie "Rain Man" Adams), then I could see him being a unanimous #1 choice, but not now. Just sayin'...

ikestops85
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
There has to be a guy in Las Vegas right now who is absolutely livid. :moon

I love Tomlin and he will only get better.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Forbes calls Bill Belichick highest-paid coach in sports

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 19, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/b-belichickhappy.jpg?w=232

Bill Belichick is the highest-paid coach in American sports, at least according to an estimate from Forbes.

The magazine says the retirement of Phil Jackson as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers makes Belichick the new No. 1 on the list of the highest-paid coaches, at an estimated $7.5 million. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan are each believed to make a little less than that, about $7 million.

The truth is, no one really knows how much Belichick makes except Belichick, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and probably a few advisers to both men, none of whom are going to reveal Belichick’s salary. That’s why Forbes calls it an estimate.

But if Belichick is the highest-paid coach in sports, that’s a distinction he’s earned: It’s hard to argue with 140 wins and three Super Bowl rings in 11 years in New England.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... in-sports/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/19/forbes-calls-bill-belichick-highest-paid-coach-in-sports/)

Oviedo
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Not too shabby for an "overpaid janitor."

Where have all the idiots gone??? Good riddance!!!!!

PSU_dropout43
05-19-2011, 04:34 PM
People overrate Tomlin. Tomlin's salary -- Rooneys' money speaks volume -- places him on second tier of coaches, respectfully.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2011, 11:06 PM
People overrate Tomlin. Tomlin's salary -- Rooneys' money speaks volume -- places him on second tier of coaches, respectfully.

Guess that means that Mike Shanahan and Pete Carroll are better coaches because they make more. That's why the Redskins and Seahawks were in the Super Bowl 2 out of the last 3 years, right?

Steelerphile
05-20-2011, 07:01 AM

That's weak logic. How much money you make determines your value as a person. No wonder you were a dropout and I am surprised you got in to begin with.

jj28west
05-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I think the biggest accomplishments from Belichick was the effective game planning against the Rams in the Super Bowl and the Bills K gun back when he was with the Giants.
I know of people who have personally met Belichick and he is as big of a D!ck as he seems to come across in the public eye. Regardless we are talking about his track record as a coach.

Did he have anything to do with Brady's development or is he good at putting the Right OC with the right system in place?

I guess what I am getting at is you could have a round table discussion for hours just to argue about what factors are weighed out in determining the #1 rated coach.

feltdizz
05-21-2011, 12:03 PM

That's weak logic. How much money you make determines your value as a person. No wonder you were a dropout and I am surprised you got in to begin with.

:Agree

That being said I think Billicheat is still the best given the talent he has on the field. Cutting Moss, rookie TE's and a white midget RB? Who does that in today's NFL?

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Steelers' Tomlin conducting affordable football camp

Friday, June 17, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201106/20110617steelers_330.jpg

Bob Donaldson/Post-Gazette

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin gives instructions for a running drill at his football camp at Brashear High School in Beechview Thursday.

When Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was growing up in Newport News, Va., his family did not have the money to send him to football camps. Tomlin earned a scholarship to William & Mary without benefit of any coaching beyond what he received in high school.

Now that he is a head coach in the NFL, Tomlin is giving 225 youths this week the opportunity to attend a football camp for free at Brashear High School.

Tomlin is playing host to a two-day camp for boys and girls ages 7-14, where the children can rub elbows with the Steelers coach and learn about football.

"All of our corporate sponsors underwrite the entire camp," Tomlin said Thursday morning in a break at the practice. "It's free for every kid out there. We take finances out of it. I was a kid who had some tough financial situations growing up and probably would have not have been able to pay for a camp. These kids are getting the same amenities that kids get when they go to a pay camp."

The camp was not open to the general public. Most of the youths in attendance live in urban areas and don't have the ability to pay hundreds of dollars to attend other football camps where expert instruction is given.

"Hopefully, it's inspiring," Tomlin said. "That's my intention. I wasn't afforded opportunities like this when I was a young fellow. That's probably one of the primary reasons I do camps such as these, so these kids know that I'm a regular guy just like their dads or uncles, that I'm not an alien, that I come from somewhere, that I like hanging out with the little ones and encouraging them.

"More importantly, letting them know that they're capable of chasing their dreams and have the opportunity to live their dreams, like I live mine every day."

Tomlin cannot do much at his day job these days. The NFL lockout is in its third month with little indication it will end soon. Tomlin said earlier this spring that a protracted lockout would benefit the Steelers because they have veteran players and veteran coaching that knows how to approach offseason work without constant supervision.

Still, all coaches enjoy the grind of training camp and look forward to evaluating their players in competitive circumstances. When asked how much time he needs to ready his team for the season, Tomlin deflected the question and said it's not a big issue.

"I'm less concerned about that," he said. "As long as nobody is getting more days than I am and the playing field is level ... these are unique circumstances, no doubt. But it's unique for everyone. So, from that standpoint, the playing field will be level, and everyone will see a very challenging product when we get down to business."

Tomlin is entering his fifth season as head coach, and the Steelers have appeared in two Super Bowls under his watch. Tomlin became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl when he led the Steelers to a victory in Super Bowl XLIII.

In February, the Steelers lost to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. Tomlin said losing the Super Bowl has not changed his approach.

"Surprisingly, it hasn't," he said. "My goals haven't changed and won't change. Every year, I'm trying to be that team. Sometimes, your journey ends the first week in January. Sometimes, your journey ends on the biggest stage and you come up short. It is what it is. If you're not that team, you're not, and you roll your sleeves back up and you go to work. Our intentions will be the same going into '11."

Tomlin did not have any updates on any of the Steelers -- such as Emmanuel Sanders, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith -- who were dealing with injuries late in the season.

"I haven't seen them," he said.

A member of the camp staff and Tomlin set some ground rules before the interview. He did not want to take any questions about running back Rashard Mendenhall and his controversial remarks on his Twitter account or anything regarding the lockout.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11168/11 ... z1PglXNjF6 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11168/1154361-66-0.stm#ixzz1PglXNjF6)

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Roger Goodell has announced a $250,000 fine and the loss of a 2012 3rd round draft pick for illegal contact between players and coach Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh. "We are in a lockout," said Commissioner Goodell, "and there is to be no contact between coaches and players, even if the players in question are only in elementary school." :wink:

jj28west
06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
That was a great article. Needless to say it sounds like Tomlin had to fight, kick & scratch for everything to get where he is today.

I used to cringe at those overpaid janitor comments. The guy graduated from William & Mary. Does that individual realize how stupid and simple minded he comes across with comments like that?

Oviedo
06-19-2011, 09:00 PM
That was a great article. Needless to say it sounds like Tomlin had to fight, kick & scratch for everything to get where he is today.

I used to cringe at those overpaid janitor comments. The guy graduated from William & Mary. Does that individual realize how stupid and simple minded he comes across with comments like that?

The people making those comments couldn't get accepted to William and Mary.

flippy
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Would Tomlin or Bill B be ranked so high if it wasn't for Ben and Brady respectively?

I think it's tough to rank coaches because they ultimately get ranked based on championships. But they rarely win them without a stud QB.

Pair up Jack Del Rio with Brady or Ben or Rodgers and he's at the top of this list.

I'd personally have Tomlin at #1. And for me (besides the fact that I'm a homer) the main reason is Tomlin gets major contributions out of the entire roster and has guys ready to step in and compete at every position. I've never seen a team where I've had the same level of confidence in the backups as I do the starters.

And coaching to me is about maximizing talent. And I suspect you could put Tomlin in any situation and he'd figure out how to get more out of players than any other coach.

Oviedo
06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Would Tomlin or Bill B be ranked so high if it wasn't for Ben and Brady respectively?

I think it's tough to rank coaches because they ultimately get ranked based on championships. But they rarely win them without a stud QB.

Pair up Jack Del Rio with Brady or Ben or Rodgers and he's at the top of this list.

I'd personally have Tomlin at #1. And for me (besides the fact that I'm a homer) the main reason is Tomlin gets major contributions out of the entire roster and has guys ready to step in and compete at every position. I've never seen a team where I've had the same level of confidence in the backups as I do the starters.

And coaching to me is about maximizing talent. And I suspect you could put Tomlin in any situation and he'd figure out how to get more out of players than any other coach.

I believe that Tomlin would be successful no matter where he coached (pro or college), but his high level of success is very much tied to the fact that he is in the best organization in professional football. It is truly a team effort from top to bottom.

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Best of NFL: AFC North coaches

June, 29, 2011
By James Walker

As part of Best of the NFL Week on ESPN.com, here are five bests for the AFC North:

Best ego manager: Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin runs away with this category. Managing people and egos are among Tomlin's greatest strengths. The Steelers are not a team with many locker room problems, but the few times it's been an issue -- such as Willie Parker demanding more carries in 2008 -- Tomlin was masterful in handling the situation. Every Steeler knows his role and there is great chemistry in the locker room. It's part of the reason Pittsburgh has been to two Super Bowls the past three years under Tomlin.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0202/nfl_u_tomlin_300.jpg

Matthew Emmons/US Presswire

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has proven to be skilled at handling the egos of his players among other things.

Best grinder: Cincinnati Bengals fans have been hot and cold on head coach Marvin Lewis, but one thing you can't deny is his work ethic. Because of the way the Bengals are set up as an organization, Lewis has to grind and deal with more than most head coaches. He has to combat heavy-handed ownership. Cincinnati's scouting staff also is very thin, which puts extra pressure on the coaching staff to examine college players.

The Bengals also do not sign big-name free agents or devote the same resources to other areas -- such as hiring a general manager or building an indoor practice facility -- as many other teams. Despite several things being stacked against him, Lewis has produced two playoff teams in his eight seasons in Cincinnati. Before Lewis arrived in 2003, the Bengals went 12 consecutive years without making the postseason.

Best hair: Considering the stress and long hours, coaching is a profession where you can quickly lose your hair. But Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh has found a way to avoid that. Harbaugh, 48, still has an impressive full head of hair that most coaches would be envious of. He's coached playoff teams in each of his three seasons, which probably helps keep the stress level down.

Best coach-GM tandem: Although Harbaugh and Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome are very good, the slight edge goes to Tomlin and Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert. Both teams do a tremendous job, but the Steelers have had Baltimore's number lately. Tomlin and Colbert have a healthy respect for one another and don't overstep each other's boundaries. Colbert rarely does interviews during the season, leaving that up to Tomlin. The coach avoids the spotlight in the offseason and gives way to his general manager. Both are among the best in the business.

Best postgame interview: Tomlin has the edge here, as well. He has the charisma and swagger to carry a news conference, and his are usually refreshing, energetic and honest. Tomlin calls it how he sees it, which isn't always the case with head coaches. The few times I can recall Tomlin dodging a question have come when the subject veers to officiating, because he doesn't enjoy getting fined by the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... th-coaches (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28675/best-of-the-nfl-afc-north-coaches)

Slapstick
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Best postgame interview: Tomlin has the edge here, as well. He has the charisma and swagger to carry a news conference, and his are usually refreshing, energetic and honest. Tomlin calls it how he sees it, which isn't always the case with head coaches. The few times I can recall Tomlin dodging a question have come when the subject veers to officiating, because he doesn't enjoy getting fined by the NFL.

I also find this to be the case...it boggles my mind when I read members post how Tomlin "doesn't say anything" at press conferences or that he doesn't give clear answers to questions...almost always, I find him to be clear and concise...

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Harbaugh only gets best hair. :lol:

:ratsuck

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
JUL 5th 2011

Will the Pittsburgh Steelers shake off the Super Bowl losers jinx?

AUTHOR: Brandt Gelman

The Pittsburgh Steelers will enter the 2011 season in unfamiliar territory as the Super Bowl runner-up.

This is only the second time the black and gold have been to the Super Bowl, and not walked away victorious……I still have not forgiven Neil O’Donnell.

You might be saying to yourself, the Steelers were only one more Big Ben miracle drive away from wining the big game last year, and that last season was extremely successful. While I would not argue with that, I urge you to consider the ramifications of what losing in the Super Bowl really entails.

Since 2000, the New York Giants, St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, and Chicago Bears were all Super Bowl runner-ups that failed to make the playoffs the next season. You would think a team that is strong enough to make it to the big game would surely be able to at least make it back to the playoffs the next year. The sting alone from the losing the Super Bowl should be enough to power a team to another successful season.

It is called the Super Bowl jinx, and the Steelers will be looking to avoid the curse in this upcoming season. If there is one thing going for the black and gold, it is that this so called jinx has not held up over the last few years.

In Super Bowl 43, the Steelers defeated the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals actually improved its regular season record the next year going 10-6 to win the NFC West for the second consecutive season. While it does show that the curse can be broken, wining the NFC West does somewhat discount what the Cardinals did. It seems as though every year, the NFC West winner somehow backs its way into the playoffs. Let’s face it, last year a team with a .500 record represented that division in the playoffs.

The Colts were the next team to buck the trend of Super Bowl runner-ups. After losing to the Saints in Super Bowl 44, the Colts returned to the playoffs the next year after earning a 10-6 record in the regular season. It was not as successful of a season for the Colts who had slid from its almost perfect 14-2 record from the year before. The Colts were given a swift exit from the playoffs in the wild card round losing to the New York Jets, the team they had beaten the year before in the AFC championship.

So while the last two seasons have shown the Super Bowl runner up can get back to the playoffs the next year, the regression these teams took remains a little disturbing. Would a 10-6 season with a loss in the first round of the playoffs make for an unsuccessful season for the black and gold? With the way the Steeler’s schedule is set up, and with who the team has returning, I would sure say so.

But if there is any team that can lay to rest the jinx of the Super Bowl runner-up it would be the Steelers. After losing the Super Bowl in 1995 to the Cowboys, the Steelers finished the next season at 10-6 claiming first place in the AFC Central. The team went on to lose in the divisional round of the playoffs to New England, but at least Steelers nation can look back and say the one time the Steelers suffered a defeat in the Super Bowl, they were able to bounce back.

That was the Bill Cowher era, so now we will see what coach Tomlin can bring to the table.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/05/wi ... sers-jinx/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/05/will-the-pittsburgh-steelers-shake-off-the-super-bowl-losers-jinx/)