PDA

View Full Version : Ike to test the market; he wants $$$

MadSteel
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldn’t take a hometown discount.

“I need that market value. I work so hard,” Taylor told Rome. “I’ve been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

“I would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so we’ll see what happens,” Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-discout/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/18/ike-taylor-isnt-down-with-a-hometown-discout/)

MadSteel
05-18-2011, 06:34 PM
If we are going to pay big (which I know we wont) we need to get something better than Ike. He is never hurt though and a damn good CB. What to do???

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
If we are going to pay big (which I know we wont) we need to get something better than Ike. He is never hurt though and a damn good CB. What to do???

Other than Nnamdi, who in FA would be better for us?

insanesteelersfan
05-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Bye-Bye Ike. Don't let the door hit you in your Booty on the way out. I mean what does he expect ? Ike is a AVERAGE CB at best. And he couldn't catch a cold sitting Naked out in 30 below zero weather :D I would rather pay Nnamdi 15 million a year. Then have to pay a 32 year old 8-10 million a year who does get faked out of his shoes alot.

See Ya Ike!!

flippy
05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
We'll survive with or without him. I love Ike, but get to the QB and we'll be ok with the young DBs and a little more cover 2.

Shawn
05-18-2011, 10:32 PM
If he is unwilling to take a hometown discount...he won't be in the Burgh this year. It's as simple as that. If the Steelers make him an offer over 8 million per season I would be shocked.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Bye-Bye Ike. Don't let the door hit you in your Booty on the way out. I mean what does he expect ? Ike is a AVERAGE CB at best. And he couldn't catch a cold sitting Naked out in 30 below zero weather :D I would rather pay Nnamdi 15 million a year. Then have to pay a 32 year old 8-10 million a year who does get faked out of his shoes alot.

See Ya Ike!!

Methinks you won't be so giddy when you see the Steelers lining up the likes of Bryant McFadden and Willie Gay as their starting CBs. You ask, "What does he expect?" I can answer that. He expects some team to pay him big bucks...and I think he'll get it. You might protest all you want that he's not worth that much, but chances are, he's going to get the big payday anyway. You're surprised he's not wanting to take a big "hometown discount" to stay put? Not me. The Steelers missed their best chance of inking him to a reasonable deal by failing to negotiate last season.

And forget about the Steelers paying Nmandi 15 million a year. Ain't happening.

papillon
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
You guys that are down playing Ike's value to the Steeler defense are simply trying to rationalize the fact that Ike may not be a Steelers. McFadden and anyione else on the roster is a recipe for disaster. That cornerback tandem will brin a lot more quarterbacks intio play against the Steeler defense. With Ike only the elite quarterbacks have success against the Steelers, but not so much success that the Steelers aren't in the game.

With Ike gone, you bring into play guys like Flacco, Ryan, Freeman, that weren't good enough to beat the Steelers, but will have a better chance without Ike. Hopefully, Ike is talking about testing the waters to simply get the best offer possible form the Steelers. The Steelers are fair and if Ike is reasonable a deal will get done. The Steelers won't low ball Ike, it's not their style, so, he'll be making a good living if he truly wants to remain a Steeler.

Discounting Ike's play is folly, IMO.

Pappy

AzStillers1989
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Disappointing about hearing him think about going somewhere else. I still believe he will be a Steeler for at least 2-4 more years.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Ike is just being a smart negotiator, if he says that he'll give the Steelers a hometown discount then he will receive a lower initial offer from the Steelers than if he plays the leverage game.

Ike very much realizes that the Steelers are stuck between a rock and a hard place...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/412590265_dcb27ea635.jpg

AzStillers1989
05-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Ike is just being a smart negotiator, if he says that he'll give the Steelers a hometown discount then he will receive a lower initial offer from the Steelers than if he plays the leverage game.

Ike very much realizes that the Steelers are stuck between a rock and a hard place...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/412590265_dcb27ea635.jpg

I agree.

MadSteel
05-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Nnamdi is exactly who I was refering to.

ramblinjim
05-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Willie Gay's a free agent too. So we have Keenan Lewis and Bryant McFadden as our Corners and Crezdon Butler for the nickel. We play Troy out in Center field a la Ed Reed and bring seven every passing down. No problem! :roll:

Oviedo
05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Willie Gay's a free agent too. So we have Keenan Lewis and Bryant McFadden as our Corners and Crezdon Butler for the nickel. We play Troy out in Center field a la Ed Reed and bring seven every passing down. No problem! :roll:

Why don't we just put Anthony Madison out there too for comic relief.

No one should be down on Ike. He may not be Rod Woodson but he limits the damage to one side of the field because teams don't attack his side with much regularity. Lose Ike and it will be a jailbreak in our secondary because we know Lebeau won't risk playing rookies no matter how talented so we would be stuck with a second tier CB in Bmac and a third tier CB in Gay, Lewis or whoever.

steelblood
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM

See Ya Ike!!

"AVERAGE CB at best"? I'm sorry, but I think you've lost some credibility with that comment. Ike follows the other team's best receiver and rarely has a bad game. It is no coincidence that the Packers success throwing to Greg Jennings in the Super Bowl mostly came when they hid him in the slot leaving him covered by one of our weaker corners or a safety. Eventually, the Steelers adjusted and got Ike over him on every snap, and that is when the Packers went to Jordy Nelson. The Packers schemed and/or threw away from Ike all game.

Ike has been a very successful cover corner for years. He does have terrible hands. But, anyone who really watches and understands this team would NEVER call him average.

Is he worth 15 million per year? No. 10? Perhaps.

Oviedo
05-19-2011, 08:11 AM

See Ya Ike!!

"AVERAGE CB at best"? I'm sorry, but I think you've lost some credibility with that comment. Ike follows the other team's best receiver and rarely has a bad game. It is no coincidence that the Packers success throwing to Greg Jennings in the Super Bowl mostly came when they hid him in the slot leaving him covered by one of our weaker corners or a safety. Eventually, the Steelers adjusted and got Ike over him on every snap, and that is when the Packers went to Jordy Nelson. The Packers schemed and/or threw away from Ike all game.

Ike has been a very successful cover corner for years. He does have terrible hands. But, anyone who really watches and understands this team would NEVER call him average.

I'd say $8.5M and give him more guaranteed money. The guaranteed money is what it is really about, not the annual salary number. Sweeten the deal with a nice bonus. If he wants in the $10M+ range then you need to let him walk because Troy and Timmons are waiting at the paymaster's window after next year and both are more valuable.

feltdizz
05-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Did you guys just become fans of the Steelers? You don't think our FO would have resigned Ike if they thought they couldn't win without him?

It's business and you can't keep everybody. Ike is getting older and like Tomlin said. Our D is all about pressure and we can't pay everyone top dollar.

Is Ike good in our system? Yes... is he worth 8 to 10 mill in our system? HELL NO!

One other thing...

I TOLD YOU GUYS... :wink: Drafting 2 CB's didn't look good for Ike. I'm sure he felt like this was the writing on the wall that they were preparing for his departure. We aren't overpaying for Ike.

feltdizz
05-19-2011, 09:14 AM

See Ya Ike!!

I'd say $8.5M and give him more guaranteed money. The guaranteed money is what it is really about, not the annual salary number. Sweeten the deal with a nice bonus. If he wants in the $10M+ range then you need to let him walk because Troy and Timmons are waiting at the paymaster's window after next year and both are more valuable.

If Troy and Timmons are more valuable.. and I think we can all agree they are, Ike is gone.

Ike is great for us... but he isn't 10 mill great. As far as corners go in this league Ike is a solid #2 on 60% of the NFL teams. We don't put value in our CB's like most teams do.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Agreed that he is the only other corner in FA that I would rather have, but the price will br high.....much higher than for Ike.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM

See Ya Ike!!

You realize that Nnamdi and Ike came into the league in the same draft, right? They are both entering their 9th NFL season (so is Troy, for that matter).

ikestops85
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Ike has had some really good years for us. Where I am hesitant is the fact he has also had some really bad years for us. In 2006 and 2009 Ike was BAD. It's that inconsistency that bothers me. I think last year Ike had a career year. He was one of the top corners in the league. You just can't guarantee that he will play like that next year and that's why I don't think he is worth mega-bucks. $8 million per year on a 4 year contract would be the max I would offer.

MadSteel
05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
[quote=MadSteel]If we are going to pay big (which I know we wont) we need to get something better than Ike. He is never hurt though and a damn good CB. What to do???

Agreed that he is the only other corner in FA that I would rather have, but the price will br high.....much higher than for Ike.[/quote:1dh2ghd0]

From what I have gathered, Ike seems to disagree with you. Sad thing is, we wont have Ike or Nnamdi come 2011 season. If we lose Ike, I'd bet money C. Butler starts this year.

feltdizz
05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Ike has had some really good years for us. Where I am hesitant is the fact he has also had some really bad years for us. In 2006 and 2009 Ike was BAD. It's that inconsistency that bothers me. I think last year Ike had a career year. He was one of the top corners in the league. You just can't guarantee that he will play like that next year and that's why I don't think he is worth mega-bucks. $8 million per year on a 4 year contract would be the max I would offer.

We don't build our D around CB's...

I hope Ike gets his money.... I'm also confident the D will survive. We always do in the long run.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
[quote=MadSteel]If we are going to pay big (which I know we wont) we need to get something better than Ike. He is never hurt though and a damn good CB. What to do???

Agreed that he is the only other corner in FA that I would rather have, but the price will br high.....much higher than for Ike.

From what I have gathered, Ike seems to disagree with you. Sad thing is, we wont have Ike or Nnamdi come 2011 season. If we lose Ike, I'd bet money C. Butler starts this year.[/quote:2qv35fbt]

I haven't seen anywhere that Ike states that he should receive the same money. I just think that he is saying that if one team is offering $10-12M per then he won't stay here for $8M per.

feltdizz
05-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Ike should leave if another team is offering 4 mill more per year.

ikestops85
05-19-2011, 03:08 PM

I sure would. Loyalty is one thing but leaving even 2 million a year on the table is a lot of money and I don't blame anyone for jumping for that much money. Ike has show loyalty by re-working his contract for us to help us pay others. I can't blame him for looking for the mega payday but I don't think he is worth that to us. Some team is going to throw mucho dollars at him and I'm beginning to think he is gone. Regardless, we will survive.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2011, 03:30 PM

I sure would. Loyalty is one thing but leaving even 2 million a year on the table is a lot of money and I don't blame anyone for jumping for that much money. Ike has show loyalty by re-working his contract for us to help us pay others. I can't blame him for looking for the mega payday but I don't think he is worth that to us. Some team is going to throw mucho dollars at him and I'm beginning to think he is gone. Regardless, we will survive.

Ike re-working his contract is not a charitable thing...he gets the same amount of money regardless. He just gets some of his regular yearly salary converted to a bonus which can be pro-rated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Thursday, May 19, 2011

What Was Ike Taylor Supposed To Say?

I think the interview that Ike Taylor gave to Jim Rome yesterday on the Jim Rome is Burning show flipped the optimism of several in Steeler Nation of the possibility of Taylor being re-signed by the Steelers when and if free agency opens and it really shouldn't have in my opinion. The interview was a very candid one and the first time we have really seen Ike take even more of a posturing stance in regards to his free agency status. That is not really surprising if you ask me.

Taylor's voice of uncertainty in is future is certainly understandable at this point and time as well. His statement that he his glad to be in the situation that he is currently in is also understandable as he has worked hard to get to this point in his career and is at the doorstep of one final big payday as a player. He has certainly worked with the Steelers in the past in restructuring his contracts to help accommodate other contracts and feels that it is his turn to receive his market value. You can't blame him for taking that stance.

As far as the comments Ike made about being under-appreciated and underrated, I took those remarks as pokes at some members of the media and the fan base as he stated.

His low profile characterization of himself was also on the money as Taylor is not one that the members of the media or the fans flock to week to week. You only usually hear the name Ike Taylor after he might have had a bad play or two in a game. Before this offseason started it is hard to think back to the last time that Taylor was pulled aside on camera for a one-on-one interview. Perhaps this plays a little into his under-appreciated comments as well. Let's face it; Taylor does not give the media anything negative to write about because he is so low profile. He does his job and goes about his business very blue collar like. Media and fans that do not understand the current state of the roster and how consistent the play of Taylor has been over the years will certainly underrate him.

Taylor was not blessed with the best of hands and only has 11 regular season interceptions during his 8 year career. He takes quite a bit of flack for that, but does however play his role in the Dick LeBeau defense quite well in my opinion. He is not flashy and will occasionally take a stupid penalty or two, but is very consistent in his play over the years. Do you think LeBeau hopes he returns? I bet he surely does and I bet the Rooney family, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin want him back as well.

Did you really expect Taylor to come right out on national television and say he would offer Pittsburgh a hometown discount of sorts and diminish his value? I didn't, as it is all part of the posturing process. Taylor seemed a little more coached, PR wise, yesterday in my opinion and I certainly do not fault him for that. Taylor is also really in unchartered waters right now and probably a little scared in addition. Deep down I firmly believe he wants to end his career with the Steelers as there is no reason to think otherwise based on his comments leading up to yesterday. He has mentioned recently that he and Papa Rooney (Dan Rooney) have a great relationship with one another and I think that will play a big role in this going forward and still think nothing less of him posturing more for market value.

Taylor stated to Rome that once a player gets 8 or 9 years into their career they understand the game is indeed a business. The Steelers not getting him re-signed a year out was part of their business and Taylor taking his stance of wanting market value is part of his business on the player side. Right now we do not even know what the salary cap or free agent rules will be like as everyone waits for a new labor deal to be reached.

You can't blame the Steelers for moving slow on Taylor prior to the lockout nor can you blame Taylor for the stance he is taking. It’s a business.

If your optimism has shifted since the interview yesterday I think you should ask yourself this one question: What was Ike supposed to say during the interview other than what he said? Let's not write him off as leaving just yet as it is way too early with several variables in the equation unknown thanks to the lockout.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/wh ... ed-to-say/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/what-was-ike-taylor-supposed-to-say/)

SteelerNation1
05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
As much as it kills me to say it, Ike will probably be a Texan next yr. :( He will be MISSED.

feltdizz
05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
As much as it kills me to say it, Ike will probably be a Texan next yr. :( He will be MISSED.

..and he will be exposed IMO.

I like Ike.... but our system and our rush are huge factors in his production. I'm curious to see if he breaks the curse of Steeler players who suck once they leave. Only a chosen few have beat the odds.

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Friday, May 20, 2011

Examining The True Market Value Of Ike Taylor

When trying to put a market value on Ike Taylor, the best place to perhaps start would be what the projected franchise tag amount is, which is determined by the average of the top 5 salary cap numbers at each position. The cornerback position was estimated to be between $14-$15 million for 2011. That amount alone was probably why the Steelers chose to franchise LaMarr Woodley instead of Taylor.

Next we need to look at the most recent contracts of the cornerbacks that have signed new deals and we can start with Darrelle Revis of the Jets who signed a four-year, $46 million contract last September. The deal contains $32.5 million guaranteed money that appears to be paid mostly over the first two years of the deal. The last two years of the contract will only earn him $6.25 million a year and the contract is very cap friendly at that point. It is a strangely put together contract due to 30% rule being in play, but basically averages out to $11.5 million a season, while the guaranteed money averages out to a little over $8 million a season, but that is not how you look at this deal. For all basic purposes you could call this a 2 year deal worth $16.25 a season, because of the language involved and all of the guaranteed money coming in the first two seasons. Revis also has 3 Pro Bowl selections to his credit in his first 4 years in the league.

Next up is Bailey who signed a four-year deal in February that could total out to between $43 million and $47 million. The contract has $22 million of guarantees included and like the Revis deal; it is paid in the first two seasons of the deal. In 2011 Bailey will reportedly make $15 million, which is in the ballpark of the franchise number for a cornerback in 2011 I mentioned at the start. He will likely not see the final two years of the deal as he turns 33 next month. He is very cutable after the 2012 season as the guaranteed money is paid in 2011 and 2012. If you boil this deal down, it is really 2 years for $22 million or $11 million a year. As I mentioned at the beginning, Bailey has 10 Pro Bowls to his credit and 48 career regular season interceptions.

The Buccaneers signed veteran cornerback Ronde Barber back in February to straight one year deal worth $4 million. Not hard to break that one down. Barber is a 5-time Pro Bowler with 40 career regular season interceptions to his credit. He also is 36 years old, but has been an iron man on game days much like Taylor has been.

Lastly we will look at the Stanford Routt deal that went down in late February. The Routt deal was for 3 years and worth $31.5 million. It included $20 million in guarantees that are to be paid in the first two seasons as the 3rd year is not guaranteed. In reality this is a 2 year deal at $10 million a season. Routt has yet to earn a Pro Bowl selection in his 6 seasons in the league and only has 6 interceptions to his credit as well. The Raiders perhaps over paid here, but did not want to lose both he and Nnamdi Asomugha in the same offseason.

Speaking of Asomugha, he will be the top free agent prize whenever the free agency period begins. He earned just over $16 million last year with the Raiders and almost certainly will expect that type money or more from his new team. He is a 3 time Pro Bowler with just 11 interceptions to his credit.

Based on the deals above I have shown, one would likely put Taylor in the range of 8-10 million a season, but like any market value, it depends on supply and demand. Right now the similar type cornerbacks that are unrestricted free agents are Asomugha, Johnathan Joseph, Chris Carr and Antonio Cromartie, but that number looks to grow based on the recent lockout news that seems to be pointed in the favor of the owners.

This could indeed mean that the cornerbacks that are in limbo like Brandon Carr and Brent Grimes could become unrestricted free agents and add to the supply end of things. With a healthy supply of unrestricted free agent cornerbacks, it should help keep the market price in check outside of Asomugha and this plays into the favor of the Steelers getting Taylor back for a ballpark price.

As long as a team does not throw crazy money at Taylor, which I do not think will happen now post draft, based on the supply, demand and quality of free agent corners available, the Taylor market value should stay in the 8-10 million range and right where the Steelers hope it remains. Taylor surely wants to stay in Pittsburgh and I firmly believe if the Steelers are close to what he might get offered by another team, Taylor will choose to re-sign. That way he will not have to go through change and also have a very good shot at yet another championship with the Steelers much like Ryan Clark did last offseason after being allowed to test his market value. It does not make much sense that teams would be willing to pay Taylor more than 10 million, but stranger things have happened. You can't blame him for wanting to test what his market value is, but I think he is going to be surprised with what that number will end up being. Prior to the draft I thought that maybe some bad drafts combined with the way the labor talks had gone could drive the price up on Taylor, but after a closer look at the contracts and how teams drafted combined with the latest win by the league in the courts, I no longer feel that way. Taylor is a good corner and fits the Steelers system perfect. It is pretty clear though that he is not in the class of a Revis, Bailey or Asomugha though. Also not in his favor is his age despite his durability over the years. He is a good cornerback, but not an elite cornerback. (Sorry Ike, not trying to disrespect you as I truly think the Steelers need you back.)

In the end though I guess the true market value of a player is what another team is willing to pay the player as outrageous as it might be. I just don't think it will happen with Taylor though. As Mike Tomlin likes to say, it is what it is and the market value of Taylor is, what it is.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/ex ... ke-taylor/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/examining-the-true-market-value-of-ike-taylor/)

fordfixer
05-27-2011, 01:33 AM
CB Ike Taylor: Pittsburgh is ‘like home to me’

By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... orslockout (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgPD6UTtKGBSiO4uix9FxMJDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-taylorslockout)

BUFORD, Ga. (AP)—Cornerback Ike Taylor(notes) says he doesn’t mind the uncertainty of free agency in the NFL lockout.

The two-time Super Bowl champion with the Steelers said Thursday that Pittsburgh is “like home,” Taylor said he isn’t sure who his next contract will be with—though he isn’t worried.
Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor loads his bag onto a waiting bus after a workout, Thursday, May 26, 2011 in Buford, Ga. Taylor doesn't like being an unrestricted free agent, but stops short of saying he longs to return to Pittsburgh and help the Steelers get back to the Super Bowl.

He is going through his usual offseason regimen with personal football coach Tom Shaw. The two met in New Orleans when Taylor was a 9th-grader and have spent time together in the summer ever since.

Taylor is one of 20-plus players, including New England running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis(notes), who traveled from Shaw’s training site in Orlando, Fla., to work with some Oakland Raiders at a players’ mini-camp this week in suburban Atlanta.

Taylor believes he would already have signed with a team if not for the lockout labor that postponed the start of free agency in early March.

“It’s just got to play its course,” he said. “I’m not really worrying about it. The NFL has said they’re going to take care of the (free-agent) contracts whenever they need to.”

Taylor sidestepped questions about whether teams contacted his agent, Joel Segal, during the brief lifting of the lockout late last month.

“I don’t ask him,” Taylor said. “It’s not going to do any good, anyway. Once they get this agreement, everything else will take care of itself. For the time being, I’m just out here working out, having fun.”

After playing the final season of a four-year, $22.5 million deal, Taylor sounds as if he wants to return to the Steelers. During his first eight season in Pittsburgh, Taylor won two Super Bowl rings and played for a third title last season.

“I’ve been in Pittsburgh longer than any city I’ve ever stayed in,” he said, “so that’s like home to me.”

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Eagles could have interest in Ike Taylor?

June 6, 2011

ESPN's Adam Schefter could see the Eagles going after free agent Ike Taylor if they don't land Nnamdi Asomugha.

These two corners are going to be among the most sought after free agents. While the Eagles are considered by many to be the favorites to land Asomugha, it's possible they'll consider Taylor a better value. The Redskins, Texans and Lions are also desperate for corner help, which is sure to drive Taylor's price-tag up. Additionally, the Steelers are interested in retaining their 2003 draft pick.

Source: ESPN.com

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43296280/ ... layer_news (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43296280/sports/player_news)

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

June 6, 2011

ESPN's Adam Schefter could see the Eagles going after free agent Ike Taylor if they don't land Nnamdi Asomugha.

These two corners are going to be among the most sought after free agents. While the Eagles are considered by many to be the favorites to land Asomugha, it's possible they'll consider Taylor a better value. The Redskins, Texans and Lions are also desperate for corner help, which is sure to drive Taylor's price-tag up. Additionally, the Steelers are interested in retaining their 2003 draft pick.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43296280/ ... layer_news (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43296280/sports/player_news)

Has Ike been spotted wearing a Phillies cap at any prison-release interviews this off-season? :wink:

hawaiiansteel
06-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Scouts Inc. on Steelers' CB options

June, 9, 2011

By James Walker

Earlier this week, the AFC North blog broke down a list of top free-agent cornerbacks. Two players we identified were Richard Marshall and Carlos Rogers, who could be intriguing options for the Pittsburgh Steelers if they do not re-sign veteran Ike Taylor.

Matt Williamson: Rogers and Marshall are probably the best two guys out there who would be cheaper corners. They're Steelers type of signings. They came into the league as high picks and Pittsburgh didn't end up getting them. But now they're coming off their first contract and still have a good pedigree. You can see why they were high picks. They're not busts at this level. The problem with both of those guys is neither had a very good year. I think both are better players than they showed last year. I'm sure some of that was playing on a bad team, especially with Carolina. Their offense always went three-and-out and Marshall was on the field a ton.

Could down years by Marshall and Rogers play to the Steelers' advantage in negotiations?

Williamson: Yes. The Steelers probably liked both guys coming out of college, they're not far removed and coming off down years. But all of a sudden they come to Pittsburgh and have LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison coming off the edge and their job gets a lot easier. So I think that could play very much to Pittsburgh's advantage and something they could be strongly considering.

What are some of the differences between the two corners?

Williamson: Rogers drops a lot of interceptions, which would fit right in with how the Steelers have been with Taylor. I would say Rogers is probably a little bit better in terms of man coverage, where Marshall is a little bit better off as a zone guy, which the Steelers are going to do more of. But there's not a ton of huge differences. I think they're both in the same boat. Rogers had the better year of the two. Marshall struggled and he took a lot of penalties, too, and Rogers is better in that regard.

There is Williamson's take. Now we want yours. Would Marshall and/or Rogers be viable replacements if Taylor leaves Pittsburgh in free agency?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... cb-options (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28411/scouts-inc-on-steelers-cb-options)

MadSteel
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
There is Williamson's take. Now we want yours. Would Marshall and/or Rogers be viable replacements if Taylor leaves Pittsburgh in free agency?

I think I'll cry now.......

fordfixer
06-11-2011, 10:07 AM

June 6, 2011

Has Ike been spotted wearing a Phillies cap at any prison-release interviews this off-season? :wink:
:lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Free agency will bring big risk for teams pursuing these vets

By Jason La Canfora
NFL Network Insider
Published: June 10, 2011

As the Albert Haynesworth saga took its latest unfortunate turn this week, with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett publicly ripping the defensive lineman on the radio, it's hard not to once again consider the perils of free agency.

It's almost always a dangerous business, and there are too many cautionary tales out there to mention them all. Suffice to say, it's an inexact science and, particularly in football, is a costly and risky way of doing business. This year, with no OTAs, minicamps, etc, it will be even more difficult to bring pricey new players into the fold and get results from them right away in such a physical sport, and one that demands so much interplay and cohesiveness between teammates.

At this point, due to free agency rules, we still don't know precisely who will hit the market. But here's a look at a few potential signings who could end up looking more like the misguided Haynesworth deal than one that produces a title:

Ike Taylor, CB: The corner is aging some himself, and this is a young man's position to say the least. There might not be a more astute team in the NFL at self scouting than the Steelers. When they are willing to let a key player go -- especially when he plays a position of need like defensive back is with them right now -- I'd be a little wary about getting full rewards from the kind of contract it will take to land him. His skill set might end up translating as more scheme specific and, given the possible limitations of the marketplace, it's going to take some big money to land him.

Braylon Edwards, WR: He is looking for the kind of big money that goes to top starting receivers. In what could be a very shallow market, chances are he will get it. The Jets won't fight that hard to keep him -- that tells you more than enough. New York is in the middle of a huge effort to re-sign and retain its core youngsters. Edwards can be petulant, is inconsistent and has made poor decisions off the field. He will wow you with one moment of splendor then fall back into a bone-headed funk. I'd expect his worst traits to be exacerbated once he has that big contract. I wouldn't go there.

Cedric Benson, RB: He will look very attractive to someone, especially if it ends up taking six years of service to become an unrestricted free agent. There isn't much else out there at running back if that's the case.

While Benson found life with the Bengals, the years have started mounting some. Running backs are a particular risk in free agency, and the next big thing at this position can sometimes be found on the undrafted-free-agent market, before the big names on the market. Benson brings some baggage, too, though, again, has blossomed some in Cincy on field and off. There still would be enough to scare me away.

Randy Moss, WR: He got very old very fast but still thinks like one of the best receivers in the world. Could he handle, for 16 games, truly being a third or fourth option in the passing game? How long before he pops off? Will he be fully vested in the offense and run more than just go routes? For any team other than, say, New England, I see major red flags.

Him coming back to the Patriots on the cheap, and on bended knee, is one thing. But anything else could bring more trouble than it's worth.

Matt Hasselbeck, QB: The injuries have mounted and the production has dropped, but he's also not all that far removed from his Pro Bowl form. That can be seductive. Hasselbeck also has given no indications to this point that he will come cheaply; if anything, it seems he wants to continue to make a strong starting salary.

You won't find someone with better intangibles and he's a born leader. Still, he's pretty far along. Just look at the failed Donovan McNabb experiment in Washington as evidence for how these kinds of moves can go. Can Hasselbeck make it through one season unscathed, much less more than one? He's not as athletic as he used to be. I'd be looking to go younger and cheaper at this spot if possible.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @jasonlacanfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82043b68/article/free-agency-will-be-bring-big-risk-for-teams-pursuing-these-vets?module=HP_headlines)

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
With this lockout (and the facts that rookies have not had the full experience of minicamps, OTA's, etc.), I think that teams that drafted a QB early but do not have a veteran starter in place (such as Carolina, Tennessee, Minnesota, Cincinnati, etc.) would do well to sign Hasselbeck. He'd be a great bridge for a year or two while someone like Newton, Locker, Ponder, or Dalton adjusts to the pro game (he should be a good mentor for one of those guys).

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Harris: Among CBs, it's easy to like Ike

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 14, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-06-13/0614stasomugha-a.jpg

He's considered the best. Well, at least until common sense takes over.

Unrestricted free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is a pretty good football player. A former first-round draft pick, he's considered a lockdown corner because of his ability to prevent opposing receivers from catching the ball.

But you know what? Asomugha may not be as good as advertised.

This offseason, Asomugha has been touted as the class of unrestricted free-agent corners. He's rangy, fast and plays his position with aplomb.

Asomugha is definitely talented. But he has an aversion to contact in a physical sport, recording only 19 tackles in 14 games last season. (He missed two games because of injury.) That's an embarrassing stat for someone who ranks among the best at this position.

Asomugha, who didn't have an interception in 2010, was paid $15 million by the Oakland Raiders. That made him the highest-paid corner in the NFL, but also the most overpaid corner when compared with Ike Taylor, another unrestricted free agent.

"He's not quite a specialist like (Oakland kicker) Sebastian Janikowski, but he is kind of a specialist," said Jerry McDonald, who covers the Raiders for the Oakland Tribune. "He has one special skill. He's great at covering receivers. In the grand scheme of things, it's not changing things. They still gave up 29 touchdown passes with him. The Raiders totally realize that. That's why they weren't going to sign him back."

According to the numbers, Taylor was a more complete cornerback than Asomugha last season, as well as throughout their respective eight-year careers.

Taylor and Asomugha are perfect foils. They were selected in the same draft, so their body of work is nearly identical. Taylor, who turned 31 in May, is a year older than Asomugha, who turns 30 in July.

Taylor recorded 66 tackles and two interceptions in 2010. He had 11 passes defended to Asomugha's six.

Overall, Taylor has 481 tackles, 99 passes defended and 11 interceptions in 125 career games with the Steelers. Asomugha has 310 tackles, 54 passes defended and 11 interceptions in 122 career games.

Taylor and Asomugha were selected in the 2003 draft. Asomugha was the No. 31 overall pick; Taylor went in the fourth round, No. 125 overall.

Statistically, Taylor is a better player than Asomugha, despite earning half as much in 2010. And that doesn't include Taylor starting in three Super Bowls -- winning two -- and playing in four AFC Championship Games.

Asomugha has never played in a playoff game. In fact, he's never played on a team with a winning record.

If a team seeks a talented free-agent cornerback who can also bring a winning attitude to the locker room, Taylor, not Asomugha, is your man.

"(New York Jets cornerback) Darrelle Revis can do it all. But I'd take Taylor over Asomugha because of his physicality," said Scouting Services Inc. chief Dave-Te' Thomas, who consults with NFL teams on the draft and potential free agents. "He should be wearing No. 55 on his jersey. He loves that element where he can punish people.''

Don't assume that Asomugha will set the salary scale for free-agent cornerbacks when the lockout is lifted. If his asking price is in the neighborhood of $15 million per season -- even if he signs for $12 million or $13 million per season -- Taylor should be worth at least that much.

Taylor has a better resume than Asomugha, who was the least-targeted cornerback in the league the past two seasons.

However, Asomugha's ability to play stifling pass defense doesn't override the fact that he doesn't do much else. He doesn't come up and force the run like Taylor does. Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau labeled Taylor the best tackling cornerback in the league. Asomugha doesn't defend both sides of the field or play on special teams like Taylor does.

Steelers management insists it has every intention of re-signing Taylor, who plays right cornerback, left cornerback and in the slot. But the number of teams the Steelers will have to outbid for Taylor continues to rise -- along with his price tag.

Last week, ESPN and CBS Sportsline reported that the Philadelphia Eagles could be targeting Taylor in free agency after the team initially focused on Asomugha, who plays right cornerback exclusively.

"He makes an occasional play against the run, but I don't know how much he wants to really come up and hit," said McDonald about Asomugha. "You wonder why you don't see it more. He's had some nagging injuries. And he's always dealing with this hip thing they never talk about. He's always stretching it. It's never listed on an injury report."

On paper and on the field, Taylor is a better football player than Asomugha. In the battle of unrestricted free-agent cornerbacks, it's Taylor by a long shot.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1PGohasWK (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_741941.html#ixzz1PGohasWK)

feltdizz
06-14-2011, 03:38 PM
This article makes no sense... I agree Ike is a great tackler and the INT numbers make sense but let's be honest, if you put Nnamdi on our roster I'm sure he looks just as good if not better at the CB position. Our core is 5 times better than the Raiders so it makes no sense to judge either based on W's and L's...

I like spending the bulk of my money on the front 7 (and Troy) and it seems to work pretty well. Spending 15 mill on a CB and expecting him to win games is crazy. What's the point of a lock down corner if you can't stop the run or have LB's who suck?

I know it's a passing league but we do pretty well with average CB talent.... I know, I know, we can't beat the Pats and we lost the SB... but over the last 7 years we've been in striking distance in 95% of our games in the 4th quarter that we lost.

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Hope and Concern: Steelers

June, 17, 2011
By James Walker

In our final "Hope and Concern" segment, we take a look at the reigning AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Biggest reason for hope: Veteran talent and experience

The Steelers are built to win now. They have been to two Super Bowls in the past three years and should be a contender once again in 2011. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is distraction-free this year, the Steelers don't have many big-name free agents and Pittsburgh's extended offseason may actually keep this team healthy and well rested.

Continuity is extremely important during this unique year and Pittsburgh has it perhaps more than any NFL team. The Steelers should be able to hit the ground running and contend for another division title whenever the season starts.

Biggest reason for concern: Cornerback

Pittsburgh doesn't have many big-name free agents, but the situation involving cornerback Ike Taylor could be problematic. The team's No. 1 corner is seeking market value, which could price Taylor out of Pittsburgh. Solid starting cornerbacks are getting paid $8-$10 million per season. Taylor, 31, may be able to get that number (or close to it) elsewhere, but it doesn't appear to be a price tag the Steelers are willing to match.

Losing Taylor would leave a big hole in the defense. The Steelers drafted a pair of rookie corners in Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, but signing a veteran starter is the safest bet. Free agents such as Richard Marshall and Carlos Rogers could be viable options to replace Taylor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... n-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28501/hope-and-concern-steelers)

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Cornerback Ike Taylor said he's open to any opportunity

Published: Friday, June 24, 2011
By Hunter Paniagua, The Times-Picayune

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said Friday he's willing to play anywhere once the lockount ends.

http://media.nola.com/saints_impact/photo/9734833-large.jpg

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor intercepts that ball intended for Saints receiver Devery Henderson in the second quarter during the game between the New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers at the Superdome on Oct. 31.

Taylor, whose contract expired after the 2010 season, did not re-sign with the Steelers and will become an unrestricted free agent once the lockout ends and free agency opens.

Taylor did not rule out a return to Pittsburgh but said he's open to any opportunity.

"Time will tell," Taylor said when asked if he wants to return to Pittsburgh. "I've been there for eight years. I've been in that city more than any other city in my whole life.

But time will tell.

"I see myself being anywhere I need to be. Wherever you put me, I'm going to make home."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... aylor.html (http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/06/pittsburgh_steelers_ike_taylor.html)

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Ike Taylor sounds like he’s ready, willing to leave Pittsburgh

Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/iketaylormay26ap.jpg?w=250

From time to time over the past several months, the Steelers deftly have tried to get the word out through the media that cornerback Ike Taylor will be staying in Pittsburgh. We’ve been told that Taylor plans to instead test the market once free agency opens, and Taylor himself later said he won’t give the Steelers a hometown discount.

Since the Steelers rarely getting into bidding wars for free agents, especially then those free agents most recently played for the Steelers, Taylor seems to be resigned to the fact that his next contract will come from another team.

“I’ve been [in Pittsburgh] for eight years,” Taylor told Hunter Paniagua of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, via NFL.com, from Taylor’s annual “Face Me Ike” football camp in Gretna, Louisiana. “I’ve been in that city more than any other city in my whole life, but time will tell. I see myself being anywhere I need to be. Wherever you put me, I’m going to make home.”

With Champ Bailey re-signed by the Broncos and only a few big names hitting the market at the cornerback position (Nnamdi Asomugha and Antonio Cromartie) and plenty of team having to spend plenty of money to comply with the expected minimum cash requirements of the salary cap, Taylor could be in high demand. But he says he’s not thinking about how it will all shake out.

“I just leave it up to my agent and Pittsburgh,” Taylor said. “When it comes down to getting serious, I’m sure my agent is going to call me. Other than that, he’ll let me know when the time is right.”

Given that the time can’t even begin to be right until the lockout is over, here’s hoping that the right time is coming soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ittsburgh/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/25/ike-taylor-sounds-like-hes-ready-to-leave-pittsburgh/)