PDA

View Full Version : NFL commissioner to speak with Steelers fans

fordfixer
05-17-2011, 12:58 AM
NFL commissioner to speak with Steelers fans
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11137/1147112-66.stm

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will speak with Steelers season ticket holders Thursday, in what the league calls an interactive fan forum. All season ticket holders received notice in an email Monday of the live conference call with Goodell and of the specifics of how to join it. Goodell, who has done about 20 of these this spring, will take questions from the fans.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11137/11 ... z1MaBek1OV (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11137/1147112-66.stm#ixzz1MaBek1OV)

Discipline of Steel
05-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Only season ticket holders... everything he does reeks of the stink of money.

DukieBoy
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Is Goodell gonna "talk to", or "listen to".

Time for him to shut up and listen up.

plainnasty
05-17-2011, 09:42 PM
I hope someone calls him out for being a hyporcrite.

hawaiiansteel
05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Ed Bouchette said if he were a season ticket holder he would like to ask Goodell what the purpose of locking the players out was to see what he says...

Scarletfire1970
05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Why? Why the hell would he think we'd want to talk to him? For what?

feltdizz
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Ed Bouchette said if he were a season ticket holder he would like to ask Goodell what the purpose of locking the players out was to see what he says...

It's so the owners can do whats best for all 32 teams. :stirpot

Oviedo
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM

For the long term benefit of the game :Clap

feltdizz
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM

You should work for Goodell :D

Oviedo
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I've already figured you are really D. Smith :wink:

How's that decertify and take it the courts strategy working for you?????

feltdizz
05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

I've already figured you are really D. Smith :wink:

How's that decertify and take it the courts strategy working for you?????

it could be better but we will get it worked out.

Oviedo
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Only by talking face to face and getting the courts out of it.

Djfan
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I would ask him what his football background is besides the electric game his older brother had as a kid. This guy has an agenda for the NFL that doesn't fit the average fan that I know.

MadSteel
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Goodell: No 'drop-dead date' for NFL season
Thursday, May 19, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There is no "drop-dead date" drawn up by league officials that would cancel the entire NFL season in the event that the current lockout extends into the regular season, commissioner Roger Goodell told Steelers season ticket holders this afternoon.

In his 17th such conference call held this spring with individual club's season ticket holders, Goodell said the league and the teams are preparing to conduct a full 2011 football season but also are prepared if the lockout lasts into September or beyond.

"First, our objective is to have a full season, we scheduled a full season, we are planning for a full season and that's our intent," Goodell said. "If we're not capable of doing that we will play as many games as possible and want to finish with the Super Bowl."

The question is, how many games must be canceled before it would be determined that resuming the season would be unreasonable? Goodell said while "obviously we want a credible season ... There is no drop-dead date."

A 1982 strike by the players after the first two regular-season games, canceled eight games. The league played a nine-game season and then conducted what it called a "tournament" in each conference rather than playoffs. A 1987 strike canceled one regular-season game and the league played three weeks worth of "replacement" games with substitute players and some veterans who crossed the picket lines.

Goodell repeated points that he has made on similar conference calls and in the media since the beginning of March, that the only way to resolve the two sides' issues is through bargaining and not litigation and the courts, the need for a rookie salary scale and that the owners made a much better offer to the players on March 11 on their final day of mediation in Washington, D.C.

There have been several days over the past month of mediated talks in St. Louis, most recently two days worth that ended on Tuesday. New talks are not scheduled until June 7 in St. Louis but Goodell said he hoped there could be "conversation" between the two sides before that.

He also said that the owners "are seeking a system that puts balance back into the collective bargaining agreement," saying that the pendulum swung too far in the players' favor in a 2006 CBA that the owners approved 30-2.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11139/11 ... z1MpwKBFyz (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11139/1147760-100.stm#ixzz1MpwKBFyz)

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Collier: Stink bugs, NFL grow on nerves

Thursday, May 19, 2011
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As expected, we in the sports media are beginning to hear that our coverage of the NFL lockout is either being purposely ignored or, at best, accepted as a chronic irritant, like stink bugs.

A pity.

But, at least, the stink bugs are not getting bigger. As we lurch closer and closer to when football is traditionally staged, by which I mean in training camps soon after the Ben Roethlisberger nuptials, media fixation on a jeopardized NFL season will morph proportionately from the common stink bug into the colossal blood-lusting tarantulas you well remember from Eight Legged Freaks.

Commissioner Roger Goodell already is prepping for his role as the David Arquette character from that underappreciated 2002 flick, holding a live, interactive conference call today with Steelers fans, presumably about how in the world that barrel of toxic waste got into the reservoir right near the home of Joshua, the exotic spider farmer.

For Goodell, that actually should be easy to explain compared to how the owners and players cannot agree on some equitable way to share nine billion dollars.

But wait until things get really interesting, or at least half-way interesting.

Should we slog into August without a new collective bargaining agreement, the hyperventilating from television football analysts alone will be altering weather patterns coast to coast, and you can be sure that at ESPN and at the NFL Network, graphics departments are already into meetings on some kind of pulsing doomsday clock to accompany that 24/7 emergency.

Talk about bonus coverage.

Until then, however, I think most of us are 100 percent asymptomatic on the whole NFL withdrawal thing.

This being May 19.

Would I like to see Cameron Heyward working out on the South Side right now? Would I like to see him joining his fellow Steelers draft picks to learn the complex systems and begin to understand the responsibilities inherent in Mike Tomlin's the-standard-is-the-standard ethos?

Nah, I can wait.

Am I wondering about the undrafted players, anxious to find an NFL franchise willing to take a chance on maybe a Mark Herzlich, the Boston College linebacker with suspected 3-4 capability, an Ian Williams, the Notre Dame defensive lineman with suspect pass-rushing skills, or a Terrence Toliver, the LSU wideout whose size (6 feet 4) and speed could indicate he is the next Limas Sweed?

Not really.

This being May 19.

Certainly, people with a better handle on this than I are taking a more urgent view, perhaps none more lucid than the one Ralph Cindrich expressed this week to our own Ed Bouchette.

The highly respected Pittsburgh sports attorney and longtime analyst of NFL politics said he thinks substantial damage to the game has already been done, particularly as it relates to the annual contributions from draft picks and free agents who reliably energize the game. Those contributions can no longer be assumed. Cindrich further said that a potential uptick in injuries, should the season begin, wouldn't surprise anyone.

That could be true, but I am wondering if those injuries might be offset by the dramatic downtick -- downtick to zero -- of injuries that should never happen, namely the ridiculous spectacle of people tearing up their Achilles and shredding their knees in May and June.

But Ralph's most ominous comments, I think, went right to the quality of the game.

"What a lot of people are missing out on is the game suffers," Cindrich said. "If you ask coaches, how will the game be now compared to last year, they'll say there will be no comparison. There's no way you can get all your players together in such a short time."

Wow. Remind me not to ask coaches.

If you ask coaches, the seven-day week should be replaced by the eight-day week, and the 53-man roster replaced by the 153-man roster, and the chances that a rookie free agent could master an NFL playbook without having done graduate work at MIT are just not terribly good.

I'm not saying Ralph is wrong; I'm just saying that, if the quality of play is indeed affected, that doesn't necessarily mean the game's entertainment value is impacted, except perhaps for the better.

A lot of people who work in football don't like to hear it, but the NFL is in the entertainment business. The prospect of seeing some football games contested between teams that aren't as over-prepared as they usually are, who maybe don't know exactly what every last player on every team is going to do on third-and-5 on the plus side of the field from the spread formation against a dime defense prone to the zone blitz, between teams that might be forced to make a play instinctively instead of the way the game has been two-step and three-step and five-stop-drop-practiced to death like a segment on "Dancing With the Stars," well, it almost sounds refreshing.

But that's just me; I've got stink bugs to flush.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11139/11 ... z1MpgxBLNt (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11139/1147607-150-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1MpgxBLNt)

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Roger Goodell Speaks With Steelers Fans

Posted on May 19, 2011 by adam

I don’t have the expertise of the Lounge Legal Department when it comes to this lockout nonsense, and I’m not going to pretend that I do. But, since my family has held Steelers season tickets since the opening of Heinz Field I did have an opportunity to jump on commissioner Roger Goodell’s conference call with Steelers fans Thursday. Here are some highlights.

– To say the call went off without a hitch wouldn’t be accurate, at least from my end, as there were some audio problems early on. After getting on the line at approximately 2:30 PM we were treated to roughly five minutes of NFL Films-style music playing in the background that kept cutting in and out. Once the call finally started the commissioner was introduced, he made his opening statements and talked about how, having spent some time in Western Pennsylvania, he knows how passionate and knowledgable Steelers fans are. He then opened up the floor for questions.

I never had an opportunity to ask a question, mainly because I never actually heard what the process was for asking questions (it’s not like it was a free-for-all with an open mic). The sound quality was poor from the start and gradually got worse, particularly while a 40-year season ticket holder was asking a question. I never did hear what he asked, or the answer he was given. For about six minutes the sound was reduced to a whisper, and turning up the volume on my phone did no good, which was disappointing.

Then, magically, it was restored.

– The call lasted almost exactly 30 minutes and didn’t really shed light on anything new.

It was basically the same thing we’ve heard over the past few months: Our goal is to play a full season, seeking to put balance back into the CBA, NFLPA is attacking the draft, best way to solve this is through negotiations, rookie wage scale needs adjusting, and money should be going to established players. Same things, just different ways of saying it. Which is about what I expected, and that’s not any different from the players’ side. I went through their PR game back in November and that’s basically what this was, only without the free food. At this point I’m not on either side, mainly because it’s easier for me to just say “You’re both responsible for this, so stop trying to win our support, stop talking about getting a deal done, and actually get a deal done.” No amount of conference calls or free dinners will change that.

– There was more than one question regarding Super Bowl tickets and why season ticket holders of the participating teams get the shaft when it comes to seat quality. His answer essentially came down to, there’s an overwhelming demand for Super Bowl tickets, a limited supply, and the league does the best it can to distribute the seats as fairly as possible.

There was also a lot of talk about fines directed at the Steelers, with more than one person accusing the commissioner and Ray Anderson of unfairly targeting the Steelers, and James Harrison in particular. Surely you’re not surprised that came up, are you?

– One of the first questions was in support of an 18-game season (one of the first people I’ve actually heard in support of it) and removing two preseason games. Goodell talked about how this is what fans want — more regular season football — and it’s a topic I wanted to address if given the opportunity. For one, I wanted to know where’s the evidence that fans actually want an 18-game schedule. Of the fans I’ve talked to, both in person and online, the majority seem to be against an expanded regular season for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to: Increased injuries, decreased quality late in the season because of injuries, decreased quality early in the season because of a shorter preseason, and the potential for three or four weeks of meaningless games for some teams at the end of the season instead of one or two weeks of meaningless games. (SL exceptions: countertorque and GlennW. Your votes have been recorded.)

I understand the value of the preseason, both from a coaching standpoint and for players on the bubble trying to earn a roster spot, so my problem isn’t necessarily that the preseason is four games long, but because I’m forced to pay regular season prices for two games that are far below regular season quality. Reduce the price of the tickets to something that is more in line with seeing starters play for a quarter before the Arena Football League fodder comes in and I’d be more receptive. Or, if that’s not an option, how about the possibility of simply not purchasing those games? The NFL gives season ticket holders the option of NOT buying playoff tickets, but forces preseason games on them. There is, of course, a reason none of those options are on the table: Because the preseason, whether it’s two games or four games, is a cash cow.

– On what other options the league has to play a full schedule if the season doesn’t start on time, Goodell said they have options that include eliminating the bye week, eliminating the bye week between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl, as well as pushing the Super Bowl back an additional week.

– Goodell was asked if progress was made during the most recent discussions why they’re waiting until after June 3 to speak again. He said he’s hopeful that there are more discussions before then and the best way to get this settled, and for everyone to get “what they need, and not what they want,” is through more talks.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/r ... #more-5595 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/roger-goodell-speaks-steelers-fans/#more-5595)

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Cook: Goodell offers propaganda instead of honest answers

Friday, May 20, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NFL owners are doing it for you. The lockout of their players? The fight over more than $9 billion in annual revenues? The threat of no professional football in the fall? It's all for you.

So says NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"We can't continue to have the rising costs of operating the league and shifting it to our fans."

Please.

Like the owners will order an immediate 10 percent decrease in ticket prices once they get a new, favorable (for them) collective bargaining agreement with the players and promise not to raise those ticket prices for five years.

Sure, they will.

Does Goodell really think the fans are idiots?

Listen, I have nothing against greed. I don't think anyone does. It's the American way, right? We'd all take more if we could get it. I mean, are we stupid?

But couldn't Goodell at least be honest about it?

Couldn't he have said the owners are tired of the cost of the players' salaries and benefits eating away at their enormous profits?

Now that would have made Goodell's interactive teleconference with Steelers season ticket holders Thursday interesting.

Goodell took 16 questions in 30 minutes during what was billed as an "NFL Fan Forum," the 17th such Q-and-A he has done since the lockout began. Sure, it was self-serving for the commissioner and the owners, strictly propaganda, if you will. But everybody knew that going in. And I shouldn't say it wasn't interesting. Mixed in among the predictable questions about the possibility of an 18-game regular season, Super Bowl ticket allocation and the inconsistent way the league dealt with on-field disciplinary issues last season and seemed to target Steelers linebacker James Harrison were a couple of gems.

No, nobody asked Goodell how he could suspend Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for four games when he wasn't charged with a crime.

I wish somebody had.

But the two questions still were good.

Goodell danced around one.

He completely ignored the other.

Somebody from Oakmont asked why fans had to have all of their season-ticket money to the Steelers by May 2 when the lockout is ongoing and there is no guarantee of football in 2011. "We want to be prepared for a full season, and we want our fans to be prepared for a full season," Goodell said.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

What the heck?

I'm not sure why the fans can't get prepared for the season after the lockout is over and a new deal between the owners and players is in place. I do know what the owners really want -- the interest off the fans' hard-earned dollars.

I'm sure they need it to prepare for a full season.

Let me repeat: Please.

Goodell did add that there would be a league-wide reimbursement policy for fans in the event any games aren't played because of the lockout.

That's mighty generous of 'em, if you ask me.

Another man asked a follow-up question about the owners' goal to go from a four-game exhibition season and 16-game regular season to a two-game exhibition schedule and 18 regular-season games. To paraphrase: If the owners believe most fans don't want to see four exhibition games at regular-season prices because they're not getting value for their money and if the players don't want an increase from 16 to 18 regular-season games because of their fear of more injuries, why not just keep the schedule the way it is and lower the prices for the exhibition games?

Goodell must have misunderstood the question, although it seemed fairly straightforward to me.

The commish never answered it,

"Clearly, we don't need four preseason games to do [player] evaluations," he said.

Again, are you with me?

What the heck?

Now tell me the truth.

Please, I need to hear the whole truth and nothing but the truth after spending 30 minutes of my life listening to Goodell.

Aren't you glad the owners have your back?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11140/11 ... z1MvEqBpPu (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11140/1147887-87-0.stm#ixzz1MvEqBpPu)