PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Update

Jooser
05-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Aaron Smith still not fully healed from torn triceps tendon

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT

In the weeks before the Super Bowl, there was talk that defensive end Aaron Smith might be able to play for the Steelers despite missing all but three games of the regular season with a torn triceps tendon.

As it turned out, not only could Smith not play in the Super Bowl, but he’s still not fully healthy, more than three months later.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the prognosis for Smith is still a little murky, and it’s not completely clear when he’ll be 100 percent. Smith might not even be ready to go for training camp, if training camps open on time.

So any hope the Steelers had of Smith playing in the Super Bowl was a pipe dream. He was a long way from being completely healthy. And still is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ps-tendon/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/13/aaron-smith-still-not-fully-healed-from-torn-triceps-tendon/)

Hayward's selection looking more logical....

papillon
05-14-2011, 07:41 AM

In the weeks before the Super Bowl, there was talk that defensive end Aaron Smith might be able to play for the Steelers despite missing all but three games of the regular season with a torn triceps tendon.

As it turned out, not only could Smith not play in the Super Bowl, but he’s still not fully healthy, more than three months later.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the prognosis for Smith is still a little murky, and it’s not completely clear when he’ll be 100 percent. Smith might not even be ready to go for training camp, if training camps open on time.

So any hope the Steelers had of Smith playing in the Super Bowl was a pipe dream. He was a long way from being completely healthy. And still is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ps-tendon/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/13/aaron-smith-still-not-fully-healed-from-torn-triceps-tendon/)

That's ridiculous how would the front office know more than us? :P :tt2

On another note, if Aaron isn't ready for camp, what should the Steelers do? Aaron Smith will always be one of the all-time great Steelers from performance to character.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2011, 12:52 PM

That's ridiculous how would the front office know more than us? :P :tt2

On another note, if Aaron isn't ready for camp, what should the Steelers do? Aaron Smith will always be one of the all-time great Steelers from performance to character.

Pappy

I'd imagine that they would put him on the PUP list. Give him 6 weeks into the regular season to see if he can get ready (the Ravens did this with Ed Reed last year). If not, then I.R. or retirement (that sucks, but what are you gonna do). In a case like this, we'd keep Nick Eason for depth at DE. A DL of Hood-Hampton-Keisel starting and Eason-Hoke-Heyward as backups to rotate in and keep the starters fresh isn't exactly awful.

AzStillers1989
05-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Smith has been a great player over the years but there comes a time where the body is not as young as the mind anymore. I hope he can recover but if not, we have talent to step in. Its a loss no doubt but eventually every player needs to be replaced.

Oviedo
05-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Smith has been a great player over the years but there comes a time where the body is not as young as the mind anymore. I hope he can recover but if not, we have talent to step in. Its a loss no doubt but eventually every player needs to be replaced.

:Agree I hope Smith just hangs it up and doesn't eat up all the cap space to play a few games. He is a great Steeler and I don't want his last season being one where he can't contribute like he did in the past. Just walk away Aaron.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2011, 01:14 PM

:Agree I hope Smith just hangs it up and doesn't eat up all the cap space to play a few games. He is a great Steeler and I don't want his last season being one where he can't contribute like he did in the past. Just walk away Aaron.

Until a salary cap is re-instituted (and there is a possibility that the judges could order that football will continue under the 2010 rules while a new CBA is worked out), there is no reason for Aaron to just walk away.

Shoe
05-15-2011, 10:57 PM
The steroids have caught up with him.

Shoe
05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
The steroids have caught up with his body.

birtikidis
05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
The steroids have caught up with his body.
Or maybe it's his age. If anything, steroids would help him recover a little faster. If it were a steroid issue, he'd be having heart problems and what not.

steelblood
05-16-2011, 12:17 AM
This really isn't a problem. Aaron Smith doesn't need to be healed by the start of camp. He needs to be healed in the preseason so he can get a little game action and test out his injured arm. That way if he does have trouble, we can keep 7 DL or place him on the PUP.

Oviedo
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
This really isn't a problem. Aaron Smith doesn't need to be healed by the start of camp. He needs to be healed in the preseason so he can get a little game action and test out his injured arm. That way if he does have trouble, we can keep 7 DL or place him on the PUP.

You're suggesting that he won't be able to contribute to his fiullest. I agree. If that is the case we don't need to be paying him $5M for the past. We want to win Super Bowls now and in the future.

Smith is great but even Joe Greene ahd to walk away from the game. It's just Aaron's time. I would hate to see him hurt that arm again and have limited use of it through the rest of his life just to be on the team for one more season.

papillon
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
My only wish is that Aaron and his doctors arrive at the best decision for Aaron. Whether he stays on the team or not and, if they keep him on the team, that's great he's earned it. Every now and then a player comes along that you toss the business rules out the window for the player, Aaron Smith may be one of those players in the Steelers' eyes. If he takes up a spot and can't contribute, so be it, it won't set the Steelers back in any substantial way except monetarily.

The respect for Aaron Smith was shown last year by keeping a roster spot for him probably knowing that he wasn't ever going to play a down last year after he was injured. I suspect they haven't lost that respect for him during the off season.

Pappy

feltdizz
05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
My only wish is that Aaron and his doctors arrive at the best decision for Aaron. Whether he stays on the team or not and, if they keep him on the team, that's great he's earned it. Every now and then a player comes along that you toss the business rules out the window for the player, Aaron Smith may be one of those players in the Steelers' eyes. If he takes up a spot and can't contribute, so be it, it won't set the Steelers back in any substantial way except monetarily.

The respect for Aaron Smith was shown last year by keeping a roster spot for him probably knowing that he wasn't ever going to play a down last year after he was injured. I suspect they haven't lost that respect for him during the off season.

Pappy

I can't respect Aaron or the FO if they turn him into Duce Staley.

papillon
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
And, how would they be doing that in any of my scenarios? Staley was a FA that stood around in sweats on the sideline. Aaron Smith has been a great football player for many years for the Steelers. I don't believe I can make the Staley to Smith connection in any fashion, even if they signed Smith to stand on the sideline in sweats for a year. He's 10 times the football player Staley ever was.

:shock:

Pappy

feltdizz
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
And, how would they be doing that in any of my scenarios? Staley was a FA that stood around in sweats on the sideline. Aaron Smith has been a great football player for many years for the Steelers. I don't believe I can make the Staley to Smith connection in any fashion, even if they signed Smith to stand on the sideline in sweats for a year. He's 10 times the football player Staley ever was.

:shock:

Pappy

Aaron Smith played in 5 games in 2009 and 6 games in 2010. He has missed more games than he has played the last 2 years and last year we didn't miss a beat. It's over if he can't make it on the field by camp.

What impact does Aaron Smith have in sweats? I don't care if Aaron Smith is 30X the player Duce was... they are the exact same when they are in sweats on the sideline. No impact at all.

What is his contribution? What the hell does he do for us in sweats? Nothing at all. I would hate to lose a Thadeus Gibson type guy this year because we love Aaron Smith.

Keep him as a coach if he is that special to the team... If Aaron Smith loves the fans and team like they love and respect him he will do us all a favor and become a coach.

I know people love him but it's selfish to keep a roster spot if we know damn well he isn't going to contribute. Fans who love Smith will despise him if we lose a decent guy or 2 from the practice squad and Smith is in sweats all year.

Last year was the respect year.. this year should be business IMO.

fezziwig
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I can't believe they didn't know how badly injured he was last season. He should have been placed on IR and had an able body on the roster.
I love Smith and all that he is and has been but, there needs to be a time to say, " it's over. "

For all of those upset that we drafted a DE firts round, the rookie is needed.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Let's wait and see what happens. A couple of months could make a big difference. By training camp, Smitty will probably know if he's going to be able to go or not (I'd be surprised if he would want to stay on if he can't contribute). But if he can get back close to his old self, he will be able to help this team.