PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu injury update

PSU_dropout43
05-13-2011, 11:39 AM
As you know, the Steelers never revealed the exact nature of Troy Polamaluís late-season injury, referring to it simply as a foot injury (I believe was the terminology). Anyway, I have since informed you that his injury was a slight tear of his Achilles tendon, suffered returning that interception for touchdown in a Dec. 12 game against the Bengals.

His rehab appears to be going well.

Polamalu is receiving treatment and doing rehabilitation in Los Angeles under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff. He does not need surgery, which is the good news. The injury is healing on its own -- with the help of therapy, of course -- and he is progressing on schedule.

Polamalu is expected to be recovered in time for training camp, if there is a training camp. But the team will no doubt go easy on him in Latrobe, just as they did during the second half of the regular season when he practiced just one day a week (Friday). But he would not have been able to take part in their off-season training program, if they had them.

Meantime, the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is still a little murky.

He missed the final 13 games of the season bcause of a torn triceps tendon and the injury is healing. There have been no setbacks. But he is not fully recovered, and it is still unclear at this point if he will be 100 percent recovered in time for training camp.

steelblood
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
How do you come by this information?

PSU_dropout43
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Gerry Dulac...

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ury-update (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109856-gerry-polamalu-injury-update)

steelblood
05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Gerry Dulac...

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ury-update (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109856-gerry-polamalu-injury-update)

Thanks. I couldn't image a PSU dropout became a Steelers' insider. :wink:

Oviedo
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Great news on Troy. As much as I love the guy, it is IMO time to pull the plug on Aaron Smith. He has a significant cap number that we need to resign Woodley, Timmons, Troy, etc. I can only think of three Steelers DLmen better than him and their names are: Joe Greene, Dwight White and LC Greenwood. But even they had to walk away.

I just hope Aaron does the right thing for the team and himself and walks away without taking a roster space and eating up the salary cap for limited play. No way is he a 16 game player this season. Again, just my opinion.

steelblood
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Great news on Troy. As much as I love the guy, it is IMO time to pull the plug on Aaron Smith. He has a significant cap number that we need to resign Woodley, Timmons, Troy, etc. I can only think of three Steelers DLmen better than him and their names are: Joe Greene, Dwight White and LC Greenwood. But even they had to walk away.

I just hope Aaron does the right thing for the team and himself and walks away without taking a roster space and eating up the salary cap for limited play. No way is he a 16 game player this season. Again, just my opinion.

Smith has already said he'll be back. The only thing that would stop him is a setback in his recovery or a new injury.

There is likely no cap this year and we've already allocated 10 mil+ to Woodley for the franchise tag (that number can only go down if we resign him long term). I think the most important thing is to get Smith to retire after this season. That way, Heyward will be ready to start if necessary in 2012.

We could ask Smith to take a moderate pay cut as he should be more of a rotational player this season.

SteelerNation1
05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Makes the drafting of Cam Heyward that much smarter. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Smith has already said he'll be back. The only thing that would stop him is a setback in his recovery or a new injury.

There is likely no cap this year and we've already allocated 10 mil+ to Woodley for the franchise tag (that number can only go down if we resign him long term). I think the most important thing is to get Smith to retire after this season. That way, Heyward will be ready to start if necessary in 2012.

We could ask Smith to take a moderate pay cut as he should be more of a rotational player this season.

Ziggy plays on Aaron's side. Cameron will play on Brett's side.

skyhawk
05-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I would love to see Troy play at least one more FULL season for a change before he retires.