PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans 2010 draft

Keyplay1
05-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I ran across this a couple weeks ago and didn't post it because so much was going on. It is similar to what was done here with board members acting as GM/FO's of the teams and drafting for them. All of the acting GM's picks were done about the same time as the actual Texans picks and unless they landed on the same player they would be different. And, a year later this comparison was made.

Tell me, since the Steelers do play the Texans again this year ====which collecetion of players would you prefer to face. The actual real Texan draft or the acting GM's.

http://draftace.com/blog/gm-draftace/

We have had a lot of success against them lately. We played them in 2005 and 2008. They have been lucky for the Steelers.

Actually I did quite a bit more with this comparison. I added the nfldraftscout ranking of each of these players plus the KEI =the bench press, the vert jump and the broad jump + the 40 times. Just to get an idea of what they saw in their picks. It would look like this:

5thrd

144 Hou CB Sherrick McManis 4.48 53/514 ??
153 -GM DE Austen Lane------4.84 8/88----64

I did this for each player. If anyone would like to see how this plays out ==let me know.

I tried to do something like this using the boards thread where the posters were the GM/FO of all the teams. But with all the trades and stuff it just didn't work. Too bad, I was sure the board posters would do better than a lot of the teams.

steelblood
05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
I ran across this a couple weeks ago and didn't post it because so much was going on. It is similar to what was done here with board members acting as GM/FO's of the teams and drafting for them. All of the acting GM's picks were done about the same time as the actual Texans picks and unless they landed on the same player they would be different. And, a year later this comparison was made.

Tell me, since the Steelers do play the Texans again this year ====which collecetion of players would you prefer to face. The actual real Texan draft or the acting GM's.

http://draftace.com/blog/gm-draftace/

We have had a lot of success against them lately. We played them in 2005 and 2008. They have been lucky for the Steelers.

Actually I did quite a bit more with this comparison. I added the nfldraftscout ranking of each of these players plus the KEI =the bench press, the vert jump and the broad jump + the 40 times. Just to get an idea of what they saw in their picks. It would look like this:

5thrd

144 Hou CB Sherrick McManis 4.48 53/514 ??
153 -GM DE Austen Lane------4.84 8/88----64

I did this for each player. If anyone would like to see how this plays out ==let me know.

I tried to do something like this using the boards thread where the posters were the GM/FO of all the teams. But with all the trades and stuff it just didn't work. Too bad, I was sure the board posters would do better than a lot of the teams.

ok. I'll play along. This is last year's draft. If they took these players, they'd be much better off this season. The corners would be ready to contribute on a full time basis and that is what this team needs.

Keyplay1
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Steelblood said "[color=#40BF40]ok. I'll play along. This is last year's draft. If they took these players, they'd be much better off this season. The corners would be ready to contribute on a full time basis and that is what this team needs."

You think so? These are the players the Texans drafted.

1 CB Kareem Jackson

2 RB Ben Tate

3 DT Earl Mitchell

4 LB Darryl Sharpton

5 TE Garrett Graham

6 CB Sherrick McManis

7 OG Shelley Smith

8 RS Trindan Holliday

9 TE Dorin Dickerson

I guess they had multiple picks in a rd or two or some comps. But, any way if the analysis [given in the link] of these players is anywhere near sound, I doubt if they get much help. Of course, 1 year is not usually enough to evaluate a player but then again frequently you can tell right away if a player is an nfl calibre player.

OK. The following link is a re-analysis of the 2007 draft. This is something everyone says they are going to do but no one does. I thought it was a very good idea but a little limited. And, as usual after further review Steeler drafts are graded much higher.

http://thesidelineview.com/

I was surprised at the low grades a lot of the teams got. I suppose this writers conclusions are arguable but maybe not.

I have no idea whether or not these obervations are valid, but the idea is valid. It might help give some insight into various teams draft strategy [or lack of] which a lot of fans seem to be interested in.

steelblood
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I like the corners in the redo better.