View Full Version : Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler

fordfixer
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler

May 10, 2011 6:45 PM
http://burgh.us/4rh

(Credit: KDKA)

By Jory Rand

ORLANDO, Fla. (KDKA) — One of the Steelers biggest priorities in this year’s draft was at the cornerback position.

Kevin Colbert dedicated his third and fourth round picks both to corners and said he was operating under the assumption that long time Steeler Ike Taylor would not be back.

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent and until the lockout ends, he cannot talk with any team, the Steelers included. So KDKA-TV went down to Florida where Taylor spends his off-seasons working out to see if Ike wanted to be back in Pittsburgh once football resumes.

“For sure I would love to retire as a Steeler,” Taylor said. “I ain’t just saying this to be saying this. Like I would love to retire (as a Steeler), but we’ll see how they feel about me. They know how I feel about the city of Pittsburgh. They know how I feel about the organization. We’ll see how they feel about me.”

When asked about his relationship with Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney, it was clear this was no ordinary (former) owner/player relationship.

“I call him pops. I don’t even call him Mr. Rooney,” Taylor said. “In my phone I’ve got him under Papa Rooney.”

“If you hear from guys on other teams, you can’t talk to the owner. Mr. Rooney out of respect comes down to the locker room. His door’s always open.

“And if you come in from somewhere else and don’t know Mr. Rooney, you wouldn’t know he’s the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, that’s the type of guy and family over there.

“They say players first and they run their organization like a players first mentality. And that’s why you win.”

And ultimately now, it’s Mr. Rooney, Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert who are going to decide whether Ike remains a Steeler.

“Well, really Mr. Colbert drafted me. So Mr. Colbert knows what time it is. He’s got a lot of power over there. I don’t know if he wants me to say that but I did. Mr. Colbert almost runs the show.

“They put a lot of trust into his decision making and what he thinks. Just by the draft, some of the picks they’ve been having over the years, Mr. Colbert’s been the GM, successful.

“You can go down the line but at the same time I just want my market value. Whatever my market value is, I would like that,” Taylor continued.

“I’m not trying to be greedy, but I feel like I’ve put in a good amount of work over the course of the past few years. Like I follow the receiver. Revis follows the best receiver every week. Stop. Revis and Cromartie follow 1 and 2 receivers. You got a lot of guys that don’t follow the best receivers. It’s cool to stay on one side, but a lot of guys don’t want that heat every down, every snap or I could get beat.”

Taylor’s long time coach, Tom Shaw agrees.

“Ike is a guy that covers the best guy on the field, all over the field,” Shaw told us. “So if Santonio (Holmes) is on left, he’s on left. If he’s on right, he’s on the right. He’s the only guy that travels across coverage. When you talk about guys that cover, you have to look at the whole game he’s covering the best guy. The guy that’s being paid millions and millons of dollars to score touchdowns and Ike’s been covering them pretty good.”

Shaw would know. He’s been working with Taylor since Ike was a boy in Louisiana.

“Since the 7th grade,” Taylor said. “My uncle found him in a newspaper.”

“His uncle Herm dropped him off at 7 a.m. at Muss Burtalino (Park) in Louisiana when he was in 7th grade, and we’ve been connected ever since then,” Shaw said. “It was good because he was a kid, he had a desire and a passion to be a football player. He was a running back in high school, he was a running back for three years in college and then his last year in college, he was working out with Deion Sanders, Anneas Williams, Lionel Washington, Maurice Hurst, all guys some people might never have heard of but they’re all Hall of Famers.”

“And they’d been working out and teaching him how to become a defensive back, and finally his senior year, he became a d-back and the Steelers drafted him in the 4th round because he had such a good workout and it turned out pretty good for him,” Shaw said.

So good that his defensive teammates don’t want to see him go.

“We have to have him,” James Farrior told us. “We have to have Ike. He’s one of the best players on our team.”

Willie Gay agreed. “I came in and he was one of the leaders. Now I’m down here (working with Ike). For him to be on another team, it’d be crazy because I look up to him. I hope it doesn’t happen.”

Still, when the talk of business gets to be too much, Taylor can simply look to another one of his workout buddies to pick him up — Ike’s 4-year-old son Ivan, who tagged along on this hot spring day.

“Oh, he loves it,” the elder Taylor said. “Just him being around the guys, it’s great for me because the guys like him, he like being around the fellas. I don’t think he knows …he knows what’s going on– he looks at this every day, being with pro athletes, so for him, he just know they’re his homeboys. He calls them his homeboys.”

Whether those homeboys remain teammates though, is still unknown.

“The tape doesn’t lie,” Taylor said. “I’m durable, I don’t get in trouble. All I do is work out. What else you want a guy to do?”

flippy
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
I really can't fathom Ike not retiring a Steeler. And there's no risk in him being old cause he's so darn fast. He'll be 40 and still the fastest guy on the field. Ike's a special athlete and I expect both sides to give a little and in this case the Steelers will give a little more.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
As expected, it appears that if we give Ike a reasonable fair market value offer, he will stay. If we give him a slap in the face lowball offer, he'll bolt. It's that simple. The relationship that he has with our owner is unusual in the world of professional sports, and that should work toward our advantage in this case...it doesn't appear that Ike wants to leave, and I doubt that Papa Rooney wants him to leave either...this will get done.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't think anyone really wants Ike to leave.

But Ike said he wants "market value." He deserves "market value."

And that's what makes me think that he probably won't be back (considering the current "market value" for NFL CBs).

AzStillers1989
05-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Ike will not leave, simple as that. This guy is a steeler till his career ends. He represents the burgh and u can tell by his swagger on and off the field.

Although, I do wish his arms were 3 inches longer on that last drive for the pack in SB45... then maybe he woulda broken up that big 1sy down throw to keep the packs drive alive to allow them to kill time and put up another 3 points on the board...

CANT WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON !!!!!!

....ps anyone here in phoenix or az for that matter?? best believe ima get to the game here in the valley of the sun this year...... :tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
05-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I really hope they pay up and keep Ike. He has been a tremendous Steelers and by far our best CB in the last decade.

rpmpit
05-11-2011, 07:36 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERdyIv8jDWY/TL9ZkkWW9QI/AAAAAAAALP0/3ro1H7_JJfA/s400/20090916_fingers_crossed.jpg

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 08:11 AM
If he really wants to remain then he will remain. It is totally his decision. We'll see if he really values being part of a great organization or if these types of statements are PR. The Steelers are going to offer him lots of money and he will be financially comfortable for the rest of his life with their offer.

flippy
05-11-2011, 09:01 AM
The only way I'd leave if I was Ike is if my hometown team made me an offer too good to pass up and I wanted to go back to new orleans.

But it is work so it's not like you have time to do anything outside of football during the season, so I'd probably just stay put if I like where I'm at and the people Im around.

feltdizz
05-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Ike is saying all the right things... but he wants market value and I don't think we want to pay that much for him at this stage in his career.

As far as his relationship with Rooney.... I think any player who wants to have a father/son relationship with Rooney could have it just like Ike does. Still doesn't mean we will overpay for Ike... all it means is our FO won't hold a guy hostage when he wants that last paycheck. We are pretty fair when it comes to vets who want 1 last shot at the big bucks....

flippy
05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Ike has the team hostage the way Ward did a few years back.

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

That is what happens when your defensive staff can't develop Cornerbacks. Other than Ike who is the last good DB we developed? Troy doesn't count because his natural abilities would make him successful anywhere.

flippy
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

That is what happens when your defensive staff can't develop Cornerbacks. Other than Ike who is the last good DB we developed? Troy doesn't count because his natural abilities would make him successful anywhere.

We're trying to address this by bringing in Lake. The combo of Tomlin, Lebeau, and Lake should turn Pittsburgh into a DB Factory. And for all we know now, Lake could come in and turn these young dbs - Butler, Lewis, Gay, Mundy, Allen, Brown - into studs. And he may even help the vets like Troy, Clark, BMac, Ike.

Lake could change the complexion of this unit the way Koogs did relatively quickly with the OLine. And we might not even need Ike as bad as we think we do right now.

Lake could be our saving grace. And in the grand scheme, that could make Ike irrelevant. Not that I necessarily agree with that - just suggesting it could be a possibility.

rpmpit
05-11-2011, 11:07 AM

We're trying to address this by bringing in Lake. The combo of Tomlin, Lebeau, and Lake should turn Pittsburgh into a DB Factory. And for all we know now, Lake could come in and turn these young dbs - Butler, Lewis, Gay, Mundy, Allen, Brown - into studs. And he may even help the vets like Troy, Clark, BMac, Ike.

Lake could change the complexion of this unit the way Koogs did relatively quickly with the OLine. And we might not even need Ike as bad as we think we do right now.

Lake could be our saving grace. And in the grand scheme, that could make Ike irrelevant. Not that I necessarily agree with that - just suggesting it could be a possibility.

I think NE, Jets, Ravens and Browns (and a few more) are already DB factories. Is that something we really want to aspire to??

Oh, you meant Defensive Back. My bad :oops:

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Lake is one of my all time favorite Steelers, but I think the jury is out on him as a coach. IIRC he only has one year of coaching experience in college at UCLA. He doesn't really have a track record of turning developing DBs...yet.

On the flip side Kugler has an extensive coaching resume.

Shawn
05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Ike is saying all the right things... but he wants market value and I don't think we want to pay that much for him at this stage in his career.

As far as his relationship with Rooney.... I think any player who wants to have a father/son relationship with Rooney could have it just like Ike does. Still doesn't mean we will overpay for Ike... all it means is our FO won't hold a guy hostage when he wants that last paycheck. We are pretty fair when it comes to vets who want 1 last shot at the big bucks....

We see this situation in the same light. His "fair market" has been established as inferior DBs are getting paid 10M/season. As indicated by this article Ike believes his market is Revis type money. That is 11.5 million average with a 16.25 million average in the first two years. If Ike is unwilling to take a 4 year contract in the mid-high 30 million range...he won't retire a Steeler.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM

We see this situation in the same light. His "fair market" has been established as inferior DBs are getting paid 10M/season. As indicated by this article Ike believes his market is Revis type money. That is 11.5 million average with a 16.25 million average in the first two years. If Ike is unwilling to take a 4 year contract in the mid-high 30 million range...he won't retire a Steeler.

Yep. That's why I say, if he's going to demand "market value," he's gone.

Dresden
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Of course Ike would prefer to retire a Steeler when thinking from the perspective that says,

"Hey,...i respect and enjoy the company. We have had some great success during my tenure. My position is as stable as i could hope for and i have some really close bonds with some of my coworkers and i love the location. Although it's a little backwood,..it's still a great place to raise a family, and the investors in my company whom live there love me. As well as my Ceo and Cfo "

The flipside to that coin is however,.....he actually does deserve Market Value if only for the fact that he's towed the line this long without making any waves with honor.

And let's face it,..Ike almost epitomizes ' a little better than average number 1, elite number 2 corner' talent/productivity and brings a level of physicality to the field that MAYBE one other corner in the entire league is capable of providing.

If we even attempt to play the "sign for the discount so we can extend some "young punk" who in reality is a glorified just a guy player in terms of productivity" at all,...he's gone. And it will be good business on his part.

flippy
05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
The thing I never get is what's the difference between $8M and $12M to a player. I see it being a bigger deal to the team because they've got to do contracts with the whole team so they can't overpay everyone without pricing themselves out of fielding a competitive team.

But $8M versus $12M to the individual player isn't that big a deal imho. Both are obscene amounts to make in a year that can make a player's life very comfortable. In the grand context, both are effectively equivalent, so it always comes down to something else.

Unfortunately because of the perception from the outside, it comes down to the $4m difference being all about ego. And the ego gets damaged by the positioning by the contract negotiators. And players leave teams over money that really doesn't matter.

Pursue your own happiness instead of money and you'll end up happy. I really hate when the talk about the NFL in terms of money. Give me a break. I don't care. Just entertain me and be heroic.

Shawn
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
The thing I never get is what's the difference between $8M and $12M to a player. I see it being a bigger deal to the team because they've got to do contracts with the whole team so they can't overpay everyone without pricing themselves out of fielding a competitive team.

But $8M versus $12M to the individual player isn't that big a deal imho. Both are obscene amounts to make in a year that can make a player's life very comfortable. In the grand context, both are effectively equivalent, so it always comes down to something else.

Unfortunately because of the perception from the outside, it comes down to the $4m difference being all about ego. And the ego gets damaged by the positioning by the contract negotiators. And players leave teams over money that really doesn't matter.

Pursue your own happiness instead of money and you'll end up happy. I really hate when the talk about the NFL in terms of money. Give me a break. I don't care. Just entertain me and be heroic.

4 million per year over 4-5 years is alot of money to leave on the table. I've been a Steeler fan for most of my life, and would love to play pro ball for the Steelers. And even then, turning down an additional 16-20 million in compensation would be really tough.

Dresden
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
The thing I never get is what's the difference between $8M and $12M to a player.

I don't think that you're taking into consideration a few things Flip. One,...Ike's overhead in terms of the lifestyle that his family is accustomed to and or the well being of their offspring's future. And,...good ole Uncle Sam. 8)

Sugar
05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
The thing I never get is what's the difference between $8M and $12M to a player.

I don't think that you're taking into consideration a few things Flip. One,...Ike's overhead in terms of the lifestyle that his family is accustomed to and or the well being of their offspring's future. And,...good ole Uncle Sam. 8)

Let's also not forget the agents cut. On top of that, this is money that they expect to last the rest of their lives. Ike doesn't have 30 more working years, he's got 3-5 probably. $4 Mil over 40 years comes out to only $100K a year- hardly rich by American standards.

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Great News: Ike Wants to Stay

Posted on May 11, 2011 by ryan

A few nuggets worth pointing out from this KDKA interview with Ike Taylor, the man that holds the key to the Steelers’ 2011 Super Bowl hopes and dreams.

“For sure I would love to retire as a Steeler,” Taylor told KDKA’s Jory Rand. “I ain’t just saying this to be saying this. Like I would love to retire (as a Steeler), but we’ll see how they feel about me. They know how I feel about the city of Pittsburgh. They know how I feel about the organization. We’ll see how they feel about me.”

Now it’s just a matter of the players and owners resolving this little issue of the CBA, and the Steelers can get on with free agency. (Along with 31 other teams, some in dire need of a quality cornerback … which also describes Pittsburgh.) I suspect Taylor’s the top priority although these things always come down to money. It’s a myth to say the Steelers are cheap; they’re not. They’ll loosen the velcro on the wallet, but they’re not the guy at the strip club who falls in love every weekend and every Monday morning heads to work once again broke — and broken hearted.

I don’t know what it will take to keep Taylor but something to keep in mind: he’s 31 and he could be willing to give the Steelers a hometown discount (this is complete conjecture, but given that Ike’s publicly — and repeatedly — said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and that he loves Mr. Rooney, it’s a leap of faith I’m willing to make). What constitutes “hometown discount” is an entirely different matter.

“You can go down the line but at the same time I just want my market value. Whatever my market value is, I would like that,” Taylor told KDKA.

“I’m not trying to be greedy, but I feel like I’ve put in a good amount of work over the course of the past few years. Like I follow the receiver. Revis follows the best receiver every week. Stop. Revis and Cromartie follow 1 and 2 receivers. You got a lot of guys that don’t follow the best receivers. It’s cool to stay on one side, but a lot of guys don’t want that heat every down, every snap or I could get beat.”

All fair points. Which leads to this: how much is Ike worth for 3-5 more years of solid play? Because Kevin Colbert doesn’t put the roster together in a vacuum. For as much as we like to arm-wave about the impending doom that would accompany not re-signing this guy or that one, it has yet to happen when the Steelers opted to let a player sell his wares elsewhere. Rod Woodson, Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, and to lesser degrees, Chris Hope and Antwaan Randle El are all examples. Plus, there are other names to reinvest in. Like, say, Willie Colon, who will under no circumstances play guard.

As an aside, Eddie B. writes today that he thinks Colon stays in Pittsburgh because “He’ll be able to prove he has fully recovered from his injury and he’ll have to do it on the cheap. Sign him for 2 yrs ($1M/yr), then to a larger pay scale if he’s successful. In the meantime, Steelers can try out Jared Gaither (OT) who is just as big (300LBS 6’8?), young(24), and CHEAPER($2.2Mil) than Colon’s asking price.”

As best I can tell, the latest story according to the Pittsburgh media is that the Steelers don’t want to pay Flozell $5 million next season and would prefer to have Colon play right tackle. Even though Tomlin has previously said that he’d like Flozell back and that he wouldn’t be against Colon moving to guard. So, yeah, who knows.)

Another comment from Ike that caught my attention:

“Well, really Mr. Colbert drafted me. So Mr. Colbert knows what time it is. He’s got a lot of power over there. I don’t know if he wants me to say that but I did. Mr. Colbert almost runs the show. They put a lot of trust into his decision making and what he thinks. Just by the draft, some of the picks they’ve been having over the years, Mr. Colbert’s been the GM, successful.”

This runs counter to the pre-draft report from NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora, who said that Tomlin handed down the edict for the front office to do whatever it takes to trade up and get Mike Pouncey should he fall into range (wherever that was). Obviously, it didn’t happen, presumably because the Dolphins took Pouncey 15th overall. But it also may have had something to do with Taylor’s comments — that Colbert wields a lot of power and just because Tomlin may like a player doesn’t mean Colbert’s job is to make it happen, no questions asked.

Whoever’s in charge, I’m guessing they understand what Ike means to the secondary. Losing him would make the Steelers worse, for sure, but I’m not willing to say that the 2011 season would be over before it started. Pittsburgh went 9-7 without Troy for most of 2009 and went 6-10 without Troy or Ike seeing much of the field in 2003.

Ike or not, the 2011 Steelers will be competitive. I’d just prefer not to have to live through it with William Gay and B-Mac as the starters. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/i ... -steelers/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/ike-taylor-wants-stay-steelers/)

NJ-STEELER
05-12-2011, 01:39 AM
IIRC he said something similiar the last time he was a UFA. at the time he accepted a little below market value for a top corner.

hopefully he has the same intentions

flippy
05-12-2011, 08:02 AM

4 million per year over 4-5 years is alot of money to leave on the table. I've been a Steeler fan for most of my life, and would love to play pro ball for the Steelers. And even then, turning down an additional 16-20 million in compensation would be really tough.

I get that it adds up to a chunk of money in time. And I get that everyone has their hands in Ike's pockets from his wife to kids to friends to Uncle Sam.

But at the end of the day, this money isn't going to change Ike's lifestyle that dramatically. If he makes $8 or $12M per season, he's still gonna be able to live the same lifestyle. And how high off the hog do we really need to live? I could make $100M/yr and I wouldn't change much about my current lifestyle.

About the only benefit I see out of having more, is being able to give more. But that's a big responsibility too. And if you look at the average NFL player, it's not like these guys grew up rich. They probably would have as much stress over managing a large amount of money as you or I would.

More money = more problems

$8 or $12M is too much for a guy to play a game. And I'm all for anyone getting all that they can in life. But I just dont see the big difference and think Ike or any other player for that matter shouldn't be swayed by the money. They should do what makes them happy and play for the team they want to play for first and foremost. And do what makes them happy.

And in the long term, they'll be richer as a result even though it may not seem that way in the short term.

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
More money = more problems

http://rlv.zcache.com/biggie_was_right_mo_money_mo_problems_tshirt-p2359573787236763073sgf_400.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
The phrase "market value" is a funny one and is a moving target.

Let us go back a few years and I am only working on memory here so the numbers and exact details might be off a bit. I'm too lazy to do the research this morning.

Prior to Faneca's departure in '07, the market value for a top guard had been set when Steve Hutchinson signed with the Vikes after a stellar career with Seatlle in which he reached "elite guard" status. He signed IIRC a 7 year - $49M deal.

Using Hutch as the barometer, Faneca was an equally accomplished player. It was a year later so prices would tend to go upwards, but Faneca was IIRC a year older than Hutch and thus was two years older than he would have been when he signed his deal.

Offsetting his age against the upward trend of salaries after one year, you would figure that a fair market value for Faneca would have been somewhere in the 5 year, $35M range. Hutch was really the best basis for comparison since he was his only peer as a player.

Fast forward to 2007. Eric Steinbach and Derrick Dockery are on the FA market. Two guards with nowhere near the accomplishments of either Faneca or Hutchinson. Steinbach signed with the Browns @ 7 years, $49.5M, Dockery signed with the Bills for 7 years, $49M.

So now, two of the worst run franchises in the NFL have changed the "market value" on guards - just like that. This was not the Colts or Pats setting a new responsible price, it was the Bills and Browns throwing money at a problem and making it a problem for all.

Dockery flamed out. He was released in 2009 by the Bills, signed by the Skins to a big deal, and probably cut there as well.

Steinbach has been a nice signing for the Browns as he has elevated his game up to the next level. He has raised his game to the point that he is no longer drastically below the level of the elites.

So, what is the new value of a Faneca? Based on the Steinbach and Dockery signings, it should be somewhere close to $10M. He now wanted that kind of money - Dockery money was no longer enough - and the Steelers refused.

He ended up getting $40M over 5 years from the Jets, which IIRC is less than he was asking us for.

So that is what it comes down to, the market value is a changing dynamic, and if your last comparison is Al Davis then you could be out of luck, but if the market is dry after Nnamdi gets scooped, and he goes for a reasonable amount, then we should be able to find some common ground with Ike.

flippy
05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Let's offer Ike and Nnamdi both the same contract and sign em both. I remember the offseason we signed Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington for $5M/season which at the time seemed huge and ridiculously overpriced at the time.

If we overpaid both of them now, it would probably seem cheap in a couple years down the road.

feltdizz
05-12-2011, 11:15 AM
The phrase "market value" is a funny one and is a moving target.

Let us go back a few years and I am only working on memory here so the numbers and exact details might be off a bit. I'm too lazy to do the research this morning.

Prior to Faneca's departure in '07, the market value for a top guard had been set when Steve Hutchinson signed with the Vikes after a stellar career with Seatlle in which he reached "elite guard" status. He signed IIRC a 7 year - $49M deal.

Using Hutch as the barometer, Faneca was an equally accomplished player. It was a year later so prices would tend to go upwards, but Faneca was IIRC a year older than Hutch and thus was two years older than he would have been when he signed his deal.

Offsetting his age against the upward trend of salaries after one year, you would figure that a fair market value for Faneca would have been somewhere in the 5 year, $35M range. Hutch was really the best basis for comparison since he was his only peer as a player.

Fast forward to 2007. Eric Steinbach and Derrick Dockery are on the FA market. Two guards with nowhere near the accomplishments of either Faneca or Hutchinson. Steinbach signed with the Browns @ 7 years, $49.5M, Dockery signed with the Bills for 7 years, $49M.

So now, two of the worst run franchises in the NFL have changed the "market value" on guards - just like that. This was not the Colts or Pats setting a new responsible price, it was the Bills and Browns throwing money at a problem and making it a problem for all.

Dockery flamed out. He was released in 2009 by the Bills, signed by the Skins to a big deal, and probably cut there as well.

Steinbach has been a nice signing for the Browns as he has elevated his game up to the next level. He has raised his game to the point that he is no longer drastically below the level of the elites.

So, what is the new value of a Faneca? Based on the Steinbach and Dockery signings, it should be somewhere close to $10M. He now wanted that kind of money - Dockery money was no longer enough - and the Steelers refused.

He ended up getting $40M over 5 years from the Jets, which IIRC is less than he was asking us for.

So that is what it comes down to, the market value is a changing dynamic, and if your last comparison is Al Davis then you could be out of luck, but if the market is dry after Nnamdi gets scooped, and he goes for a reasonable amount, then we should be able to find some common ground with Ike.

The Snyders' and Davis' always screw up the market with over priced contracts.

I think Ike, like any player, wants to be paid what he thinks he is worth. As long as Ike doesn't act like a little b!tch like Faneca did I think he will be fine. If other teams offer more and he leaves I can't knock him for it. Get paid.

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Look for Taylor to re-sign when the times comes

May 12th, 2011
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. –-

Here is why Ike Taylor will re-sign with the Steelers once NFL business resumes and he hits the open market as an unrestricted free agent: the veteran cornerback is not going to hold a gun to their head, even though he could, and the Steelers are too smart to try and lowball him.

I had a chance to catch up with Taylor, along with linebacker James Farrior and cornerback William Gay, following a workout with renowned performance coach Tom Shaw at Disney’s Wide World of Sports. And the vibe I got from Taylor is he is going to give the Steelers every opportunity to re-sign him once the lockout is over.

“I’ve been in Pittsburgh longer than any other city since I was born,” said Taylor, who celebrated his 31st birthday last week. “That’s home to me. Steelers Nation is crazy. You’re going to find a Steelers fan at some bar, some mall, some college (anywhere). As a professional player you thrive off that.”

And, Taylor said of the Steelers’ organization, “I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page. The ball’s in their court.”

Yes, it is, and the Steelers cannot afford to drop it.

Taylor is a legitimate No. 1 cornerback in the NFL, and a position at which the Steelers are already suspect will be significantly weakened if he signs elsewhere.

The Steelers can’t expect anything out of the two cornerbacks they just drafted. The same can probably be said of Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler though each has to take a significant step forward this season. Bryant McFadden is serviceable at best and Gay is best suited to play nickelback.

Am I missing anybody?

We know the Steelers aren’t going to break the bank the sign Nnamdi Asomugha, the top cornerback in this year’s free agent class, and no other available cornerback offers more value to them than Taylor.

Farrior said that he has never seen Taylor play better than the latter did last season. And there is no reason to think Taylor doesn’t have five more good years in him considering how remarkably free of injury he has been to this point in his career.

Taylor is father-son close to Dan Rooney but that is not why the Steelers will ante up when the time comes: it makes all the sense in the world to bring him back, and the organization didn’t win six Super Bowls by making foolish personnel decisions.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/05/12/look-for-taylor-to-re-sign-when-the-times-comes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

AngryAsian
05-13-2011, 11:17 PM
With the lockout, writers are trying to squeeze any news and creating issues that are not really worthy to blow-up. This, I suspect, is a non-issue with the organization and Ike will have a new contract by the start of the season. Ike has seen too many players leave the Steel-city system, for greener pastures and equally greener wallets, only to be inevitably unhappy. It sounds like his price is negotiable, so thus he'll get re-signed.

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2011, 12:45 PM
With the lockout, writers are trying to squeeze any news and creating issues that are not really worthy to blow-up. This, I suspect, is a non-issue with the organization and Ike will have a new contract by the start of the season. Ike has seen too many players leave the Steel-city system, for greener pastures and equally greener wallets, only to be inevitably unhappy. It sounds like his price is negotiable, so thus he'll get re-signed.

Perhaps they brought back Bryant McFadden, Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El, and Byron Leftwich last offseason for this very reason (Lord knows their play wasn't the reason). They tell horror stories of what it is like to play for teams like the Cardinals, Lions, Redskins, and Buccaneers compared to the Steelers, and scare the bejesus out of the pending free agents, allowing us to be able to keep guys like Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, and Mike Wallace for below-market-value contracts.

hawaiiansteel
05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Ike Taylor: "There ain’t nothing better than being a Steeler"

by Michael Bean on May 13, 2011

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1248596/gyi0063055449.jpg

Nick Laham - Getty Images

What follows is a part of a recent post and interview transcription I finished last evening on SportsRadioInterviews, a site I helped found and continue to help manage. It is a transcription of Ike Taylor's recent appearance on the Fan Morning Show in Pittsburgh from Thursday. Taylor was quite candid while in the car driving to Orlando with James Farrior, William Gay and perhaps one or two other Steelers. Fans will be particularly pleased to hear that Taylor really makes it clear that he understands what it means to be a part of the Steelers organization. He also has some interesting commentary on the Raiders and the contract they gave Stanford Routt this offseason. -Michael B. -

On how many cornerbacks are out there that are better than him:

"I mean, it depends on who you ask. But if you ask me, none of them. None of them. Tell me why you think they might be better. As far as interception wise — if you want to argue that — you’ve got me, you can win that one. But if you’re talking about playing the best receivers down in and down out, playing special teams, being durable and playing for 16 games, not afraid of taking the best receiver and wanting to do that, like my guys say all the time…not afraid of contact — you’re talking to the guy. I think a lot of people get caught up in interceptions, but I mean, I’ve been to three Super Bowls in six years so I can’t complain. And I’ve won two. So technically I’ve won more Super Bowls than a lot of organizations. So people can say what they want to say, but at the end of the day I just try to stay consistent."

On his reaction when seeing the massive contract signed by Oakland Raiders CB Stanford Routt, a player he has to know he’s much better than:

“I mean, I see that type of contract and I’m like ‘man, I’m ready to sign for that type of money.’ But I look at the team that he signed that type of money for and I’m like “I’m with the Raiders.’ So you can’t even put into consideration what the Raiders did. Yeah, for my market value and what it is for individuals at my position — yeah, it helped me out bigtime. But man, there are some things you can’t even really pay attention to. Some teams run differently than others, and as we all know, one of them teams is the Raiders. So yeah, it puts a smile on your face, but you’ve got to understand that it’s a business, and that’s what I’m doing.”

How badly he thinks the Steelers appreciate him and want him to re-sign in Pittsburgh:

“I think they want me to. They’re ain’t nothing better than being a Steeler man. No disrespect to any other teams or any other organizations, but I’ve bee with this organization for eight years, I’ve seen guys come from other teams, I hear stories all the time. And just the camaraderie we have on that team, and on that defense and in the locker room. It’s very competitive from an offensive and defensive standpoint and I don’t think people understand that. But just a guy like Mr. Rooney and the Rooney family, from the top to the bottom — Coach T., Coach LeBeau, just the whole staff, the whole organization, just the whole Nation. When they say Steeler Nation, it’s a nation. We’ve got them all over. Take any city, any place in the world, I’m sure you can find a Steeler bar or just a Steeler place. I don’t know if you can get that any other place. So time will tell whether we can come to some type of agreement, but with this lockout, ain’t nothing going on right now.”

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

Shawn
05-14-2011, 06:12 PM
As long as Taylor is willing to sign for around 8 mill/season, I think he will be a Steeler.

NJ-STEELER
05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
thats what i'm thinking too.

8 years $32M with a $10M signing bonus

i hope he doesnt hold out for say a longer contract and sign with another team. he might not be around long enuff with them to collect that

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
thats what i'm thinking too.

8 years $32M with a $10M signing bonus

i hope he doesnt hold out for say a longer contract and sign with another team. he might not be around long enuff with them to collect that

I think you meant 4 years $32 mil

NJ-STEELER
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Yes.
Thx

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
WEDNESDAY, MAY 18, 2011

Ike Taylor is burning

Some are surprised that potential free agent cornerback Ike Taylor went on Jim Rome is Burning and stated that he wouldn't be giving a hometown discount if/when a free agent period begins in the NFL.

No real surprise there.

Had Taylor said he would give a hometown discount, his agent would lose a good deal of leverage with the Steelers.

It's all part of the free agency game, when teams, players and agents say one thing even though they are willing to do another.

Does this mean the Steelers are going to re-sign Taylor for peanuts? Nope.

But the bet is that if they come close to any potential offer Taylor receives on the open market - assuming it's not crazy money - he'll be back in Pittsburgh.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 10:33 PM

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/