hawaiiansteel
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Expect free-agent frenzy when lockout ends

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, May 10, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-05-09/0510sttaylor-a.jpg

Ike Taylor
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review file

When NFL free agency finally arrives -- this week, next week, next month or next year -- expect teams to strike quickly and aggressively in pursuit of talent that can help transform losers into winners, and winners into big winners.

The current lockout has provided all 32 teams with extra time to evaluate the 2011 free-agent class and make more thorough decisions about which players to sign and which ones to avoid.

Instead of hosting a minicamp or voluntary workouts to acclimate their rookies following last month's draft, the Steelers can concentrate their efforts toward re-signing unrestricted free-agent cornerback Ike Taylor when the lockout is lifted. Or, in the event that Taylor signs with another team, finding Taylor's replacement.

"Because teams don't have to worry about working out players and putting practice plans together, their time will be spent evaluating free agents," said former Dallas Cowboys executive Gil Brandt, who works for NFL.com and Sirius radio. "The head coach will say, 'This is offensive line day; tomorrow is defensive line day.' Teams will do a great job of putting those guys in order for what they want for their team."

In addition to Taylor, notable unrestricted free agents who must possess at least six years of playing experience include quarterbacks Matt Hasselbeck and Marc Bulger, cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, guard Logan Mankins, tackle Matt Light, running backs Darren Sproles, Cedric Benson and Ricky Williams, wide receivers Vincent Jackson, Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens, linebacker Barrett Ruud and safety Quintin Mikell.

Brandt predicts the courtship of free agents will be unprecedented this year, considering that teams won't have as much preparation time once the lockout ends.

"I would think there will be a feeding frenzy when free agency becomes available," Brandt said. "Teams will want to get those guys signed as quickly as possible so they can start working with them and teach them the 'Steeler Way' or the 'Cowboy Way.' "

"If teams put an offer on the table, you'd better take it real quick," said Dave-Te'Thomas of Scouting Services Inc., which produces the NFL Draft Report for 27 of the 32 teams. "There's going to be so many players that teams are going to go after to fill needs. Once those needs are filled, they're filled."

However, that doesn't mean the Steelers will break from their longstanding policy of addressing various needs through the draft rather than through free agency.

"I think the Steelers will be business as usual in free agency," Brandt said.

Most of the Steelers' seven draft picks -- including cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, taken in the third and fourth rounds, respectively -- are expected to make the team. Allen was selected with the idea of becoming a potential replacement for Taylor.

"Teams drafted rookies basically for need -- they did not go for the best available athlete," Thomas said. "If you've got holes on your team, you don't know if you can sign your free agents because of the lockout. Every general manager had to assume their free agents aren't coming back. If the Steelers were confident they were getting Ike back, they wouldn't have drafted two cornerbacks in the first four rounds."

Re-signing Taylor is the Steelers' top priority; however, the Steelers are unlikely to bid on Asomugha, who has a large price tag, if they are unable to retain Taylor.

Other Steelers players who are unrestricted free agents include running back Mewelde Moore, guard Trai Essex, defensive end Nick Eason, nose tackle Chris Hoke and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

The Steelers need to sign a kicker, after not retaining Shaun Suisham. Potential replacements include unrestricted free agents David Akers, Adam Vinatieri and Ryan Longwell.

TOP UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (MINIMUM SIX YEARS EXPERIENCE)

Player -- Position

Nnamdi Asomugha -- CB

Cedric Benson -- RB

Braylon Edwards -- WR

Matt Hasselbeck -- QB

Vincent Jackson -- WR

Matt Light -- T

Logan Mankins -- G

Quintin Mikell -- S

Randy Moss -- WR

Terrell Owens -- WR

Barrett Ruud -- LB

Darren Sproles -- RB

Ike Taylor -- CB

Pat Williams -- DT

Ricky Williams -- RB

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1LyXppO35 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_736212.html#ixzz1LyXppO35)

Oviedo
05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Not so sure there will be a "frenzy." If the owners don't get the agreement they want most are going to be risk adverse with regards to spending money. Of course you will have the Dan Snyders wasting money as usual but the better organization aren't going to do anything out of the ordinary.

feltdizz
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I can't see the Steelers drafting 2 CB's and resigning Ike to a 3 year deal.

feltdizz
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Not so sure there will be a "frenzy." If the owners don't get the agreement they want most are going to be risk adverse with regards to spending money. Of course you will have the Dan Snyders wasting money as usual but the better organization aren't going to do anything out of the ordinary.

Good organizations don't build through FA.

Discipline of Steel
05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Ryan Longwell for Kicker!

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Why not?

Lebsteel
05-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Why not?
Yea, really, why not? I think they will lose two of the three: Gay, Lewis, Madison and replace them with Brown and Allen. They'll probably resign Ike (I want Nnamdi, but that's not realistic, I KNOW) and go with the same two starters as last year with Brown as the new nickel back and Allen active but probably not dressing on game day. Butler will be given every chance to play in the dime and contribute on special teams.

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Why not?
Yea, really, why not? I think they will lose two of the three: Gay, Lewis, Madison and replace them with Brown and Allen. They'll probably resign Ike (I want Nnamdi, but that's not realistic, I KNOW) and go with the same two starters as last year with Brown as the new nickel back and Allen active but probably not dressing on game day. Butler will be given every chance to play in the dime and contribute on special teams.

When you have a group of CBs as bad as ours it is not hard to find people to cut. Let's just hope no one thinks we need Anthony Madison for special teams because he should be the first player out the door. He hung on last year living that lie.

feltdizz
05-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Why not?

Because our FO tends to move on when a vet has a chance to make unrealistic amounts of money in FA.

feltdizz
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Why not?

When you have a group of CBs as bad as ours it is not hard to find people to cut. Let's just hope no one thinks we need Anthony Madison for special teams because he should be the first player out the door. He hung on last year living that lie.

I think we are looking to the future and signing Ike to 10 Mil a year doesn't sound like the Steeler way.

steelblood
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Anthony Madison is Key to Steelers Success
By Gel E. B. Nishughoff
May 11, 2011

For years the Steelers depended on Chidi Iwuoma as a dependable gunner and coverage player. He won a Super Bowl in 2005 with the Steelers. When he left, the wheels fell off. The Steelers coverage units suffered mightily without Iwuoma until he was resigned. But, when his skills began to slip it was time to find a new special teams demon.

Anthony Madison's skills as a sharpshooting gunner and gritty, crafty nickelback were forged in Thomasville, Alabama where in high school he played quarterback, running back, defensive back, returned kicks, covered kicks, and sold hot dogs at halftime. At the University of Alabama, Madison recorded 37 starts at cornerback, 5 interceptions, saved countless stray kittens, became a competitive knitter, and reunited estranged alpacas. Madison has been a part of the last two Steeler teams to reach the Super Bowl and enjoys soup. So, in conclusion, the Steelers cannot reach the Super Bowl without Chidi or Anthony. Chidi recently said, "My Alpacas are very happy to be back together." So, that leaves the Steelers with one clear priority for free agency. Resign Anthony Madison for warm mittens and more Super Bowls!

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
By Gel E. B. Nishughoff
May 11, 2011

For years the Steelers depended on Chidi Iwuoma as a dependable gunner and coverage player. He won a Super Bowl in 2005 with the Steelers. When he left, the wheels fell off. The Steelers coverage units suffered mightily without Iwuoma until he was resigned. But, when his skills began to slip it was time to find a new special teams demon.

Anthony Madison's skills as a sharpshooting gunner and gritty, crafty nickelback were forged in Thomasville, Alabama where in high school he played quarterback, running back, defensive back, returned kicks, covered kicks, and sold hot dogs at halftime. At the University of Alabama, Madison recorded 37 starts at cornerback, 5 interceptions, saved countless stray kittens, became a competitive knitter, and reunited estranged alpacas. Madison has been a part of the last two Steeler teams to reach the Super Bowl and enjoys soup. So, in conclusion, the Steelers cannot reach the Super Bowl without Chidi or Anthony. Chidi recently said, "My Alpacas are very happy to be back together." So, that leaves the Steelers with one clear priority for free agency. Resign Anthony Madison for warm mittens and more Super Bowls!

crafty nickelback

I didn't know that getting spun around in circles by WRs equals "crafty." That statement alone invalidates everything he says after that. Whoever this member of the Madison Fan Club actually is.

I'll take our chances reaching the Super Bowl with Sylvester and now Curtis Brown on teams and not Madison.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
By Gel E. B. Nishughoff
May 11, 2011

crafty nickelback

I didn't know that getting spun around in circles by WRs equals "crafty." That statement alone invalidates everything he says after that. Whoever this member of the Madison Fan Club actually is.

I'll take our chances reaching the Super Bowl with Sylvester and now Curtis Brown on teams and not Madison.

What will happen to those unhappy llamas, though? :lol:

steelblood
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
By Gel E. B. Nishughoff
May 11, 2011

crafty nickelback

What will happen to those unhappy llamas, though? :lol:

You will have to ask Weegie Thompson about those critters.

Ovi really should have kept reading.