PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca retires

steelerkeylargo
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
he was a heluva player. Wish he could have stuck around and finished it out with us. :Beer

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 03:22 PM
When the lockout ends and players can actually be traded again, the Cardinals should make a trade to fill their biggest need at QB as well as a replacement for Faneca. The Eagles are looking for another top notch CB to put opposite Asante Samuel (they will go after Nnamdi, but just in case they get outbid by one of the maniacal billionaires in their division such as Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, consider this trade...)

Eagles get: CB Patrick Peterson (1.5)

Cardinals get: QB Kevin Kolb and OG Danny Watkins (1.23)

Is it just me, or would this benefit both teams?

Oviedo
05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Alan who?????

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
When the lockout ends and players can actually be traded again, the Cardinals should make a trade to fill their biggest need at QB as well as a replacement for Faneca. The Eagles are looking for another top notch CB to put opposite Asante Samuel (they will go after Nnamdi, but just in case they get outbid by one of the maniacal billionaires in their division such as Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, consider this trade...)

While they may both have been first rounders, there is a whole world between the prospects Peterson and Watkins.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 03:33 PM

While they may both have been first rounders, there is a whole world between the prospects Peterson and Watkins.

Yeah, but Larry Fitzgerald would be happy to tell you that there is also a whole world between Kevin Kolb at QB and the likes of John Skelton, Max Hall, and Derek Anderson.

If trading of players was allowed during the draft, I could definitely have seen the Eagles moving up to 5th overall to take Peterson in exchange for Kolb and the 23rd pick. Although the lockout prevented such a deal from happening at the time, when the lockout ends, there is nothing to prevent such a trade anymore, and the fact that the guy the Eagles took at 23 (to the surprise of many) just so happens to be at a position where a prominent Cardinal is retiring. Coincidence? Or something more... :wink:

flippy
05-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Alan who?????

Exactly. I thought he either retired, died, or went to the moon years ago.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Alan who?????

Exactly. I thought he either retired, died, or went to the moon years ago.

Alan was never a teammate of Randy Moss. :wink:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QeivrDj6Q6M/TWSc_7Htk9I/AAAAAAAAAAs/_xTkjKZAmN4/s320/Randy%252520Moss.jpg

Ghost
05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
One of the better Steelers line men they've had. I was sorry to see him go. Never understood the vitriol some had for him.

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
hey Alan,

here's wishing you nothing but the best in your retirement years and thank you for the many great years wearing the Black & Gold... :Cheers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/RyCWON9mbvI/AAAAAAAAHWc/08tL3-UqeKU/s400/af2.bmphttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0EShxbTHdIo/SzaPuyj-CbI/AAAAAAAAClo/GWnPnM8kbpY/s400/alanfaneca.jpg

Oviedo
05-10-2011, 05:05 PM
One of the better Steelers line men they've had. I was sorry to see him go. Never understood the vitriol some had for him.

His lack of class when things did not go his way is the source of the vitriol. Couldn't keep his mouth shut and in some minds tried to hinder Tomlin in his first year as head coach because his motorcycle buddy didn't get the job.

DukieBoy
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Alan who?????
Allan Sherman

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Alan who?????
Allan Sherman

[youtube:1uvjhx6h]BGQxsLFMAzc[/youtube:1uvjhx6h]

steelz09
05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Faneca's play wasn't missed at all ..... because guard is such an easy position to replace :stirpot

MadSteel
05-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Faneca's play wasn't missed at all ..... because guard is such an easy position to replace :stirpot

You are right sir. Kemo has done a superb job at LG...Superb

steelerkeylargo
05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I recall a moment with newly retired guard Alan Faneca in August 2008 while covering a preseason game between the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns.

It was a crazy day because the Jets had just signed quarterback Brett Favre. Despite being an AFC North writer based in Cleveland, my entire purpose at the preseason game was to document Favre's arrival to the Jets.

In the process of doing that, I interviewed Faneca after the game to get his take on all the attention that Favre was bringing to the team.

"It was definitely a different game day than normal," Faneca said. "You wake up, and everybody is talking about you on the news. Being a night game, you have nothing to do but watch what's on the TV in the room and you get caught up to date."

After our Favre chat, I asked Faneca how he was fitting in with the Jets. He said it would take him some time getting used to a new environment. At heart, Faneca was a Pittsburgh Steeler, and that was his first game in a different uniform.

That offseason, Faneca was disappointed the Steelers didn't offer him a contract extension. At the time, Pittsburgh did not want to overspend for an offensive lineman who was over 30, despite Faneca coming off another Pro Bowl season in 2007.

Faneca joined the Jets and made two more Pro Bowls. He also started all 16 games last season for the Arizona Cardinals and registered nine Pro Bowls total in his tremendous career.

Faneca was one of the most dominant and durable offensive linemen in the past decade and will be most remembered for his 10-year stint with the Steelers, with whom he won his only Super Bowl after the 2005 season. Faneca probably could have played another season or two but felt it was better to go out healthy and on his own terms, which was a good move.

sentinel33
05-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Happy trails, Alan. Enjoy your retirement.

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Alan Faneca Retires – Steelers Made Right Decision Letting Him Walk

Former Steelers 1998 first round draft pick, guard Alan Faneca, has announced his retirement from the NFL today after 13 seasons. During his career Faneca earned 9 trips to the Pro Bowl and is a member of the Steelers 75th Anniversary all-time team as well. He overcame epilepsy that was discovered during his teenage years and started his rookie season after being drafted by the Steelers.

During the last minicamp of 2007, Faneca made it known that the upcoming season would be his last season in the black and gold after long-term contract extension talks broke down between the two sides. He entered the 2008 free agency period as one of the hottest offensive line commodities on the market and was immediately signed by Jets to a five-year $40 million contract that included $21 million in guaranteed monies.

At the time, several in Steeler Nation questioned the Steelers decision to not work harder to keep Faneca a Steeler for life. In the end though, Kevin Colbert and company proved to be right in not over paying Faneca for his future services as Faneca lasted just 2 seasons with Jets before being released last offseason.

The Jets reportedly had Faneca on the trading block for several weeks, but no teams wanted to take on the $7.5 million salary that came along with him, of which $5.25 million was guaranteed. Late last April the Cardinals signed the free agent guard to a one-year, $2.5 million deal that included a $300,000 signing bonus and $100,000 in workout bonuses. The signing with the Cardinals reunited him with former Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm as well.

The first season Faneca had with the Jets in 2008 was an above average one performance wise, but the writing was on the wall as his play dropped off in his second year in New York. His final season with the Cardinals was clearly his worst as a professional.

Faneca said on NFL Sirius Radio this afternoon that he has no regrets about leaving Pittsburgh and realized it was just part of the business. He says he will spend the extra time he has now with his family and is currently making preparations to move back home to New Orleans. He will forever be remembered as one of the greatest guards in the history of the Steelers and one day will surely be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

His time was great in Pittsburgh, but the front office was right in letting him walk when they did. Just 3 short years after the decision to let him leave via free agency was made, Faneca is now out of football. He will never be forgotten though and we wish him well in his life after a storied NFL career. It will be a joy to see him go into Canton as a Steeler and I hope he considers getting into coaching down the road in addition, preferable back with the Steelers.

Below is his statement on his retirement:

"After a lot of thought I am announcing my retirement from Professional Football. Playing in the NFL has been a childhood dream come true. Thirteen years later I have decided that it is time to move on.

"From the dog days of training camp to winning a Super Bowl the memories are endless. The greatest memory that I will leave the game with is all of the lifelong friendships I have made.

"I want to specifically thank the Steelers, Jets, and Cardinals. Each and every teammate, coach and front office employee has made a lasting impact on my life. It was a pleasure playing for first class organizations who surrounded me with incredibly dedicated individuals. I want to thank each of the beat writers that covered me throughout my career. These guys work hard and always treated me with respect. I want to also thank the fans. The roar of the crowd kept me going more than the fans will ever know.

"It is time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I can't wait to spend more time with my family. Playing in this league for as long as I did takes sacrifice, not only by me, but by each of them. I want to thank Julie, Annabelle and Burton for allowing me to fulfill all of my boyhood dreams. I couldn't have done it without you."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/al ... -him-walk/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/alan-faneca-retires-steelers-made-right-decision-letting-him-walk/)

ramblinjim
05-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I was among those that ripped him when he left but just as the team has to conduct it's business the players have to conduct there's. He got his payday, can't blame him for that. He was an awfully good Steeler for a number of years and IIRC he moved out and played left tackle for us for a season and played really well. I wish him and his family the very best in their future.

Oviedo
05-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Alan Faneca Retires – Steelers Made Right Decision Letting Him Walk

Former Steelers 1998 first round draft pick, guard Alan Faneca, has announced his retirement from the NFL today after 13 seasons. During his career Faneca earned 9 trips to the Pro Bowl and is a member of the Steelers 75th Anniversary all-time team as well. He overcame epilepsy that was discovered during his teenage years and started his rookie season after being drafted by the Steelers.

During the last minicamp of 2007, Faneca made it known that the upcoming season would be his last season in the black and gold after long-term contract extension talks broke down between the two sides. He entered the 2008 free agency period as one of the hottest offensive line commodities on the market and was immediately signed by Jets to a five-year $40 million contract that included $21 million in guaranteed monies.

At the time, several in Steeler Nation questioned the Steelers decision to not work harder to keep Faneca a Steeler for life. In the end though, Kevin Colbert and company proved to be right in not over paying Faneca for his future services as Faneca lasted just 2 seasons with Jets before being released last offseason.

The Jets reportedly had Faneca on the trading block for several weeks, but no teams wanted to take on the $7.5 million salary that came along with him, of which $5.25 million was guaranteed. Late last April the Cardinals signed the free agent guard to a one-year, $2.5 million deal that included a $300,000 signing bonus and $100,000 in workout bonuses. The signing with the Cardinals reunited him with former Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm as well.

The first season Faneca had with the Jets in 2008 was an above average one performance wise, but the writing was on the wall as his play dropped off in his second year in New York. His final season with the Cardinals was clearly his worst as a professional.

Faneca said on NFL Sirius Radio this afternoon that he has no regrets about leaving Pittsburgh and realized it was just part of the business. He says he will spend the extra time he has now with his family and is currently making preparations to move back home to New Orleans. He will forever be remembered as one of the greatest guards in the history of the Steelers and one day will surely be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

His time was great in Pittsburgh, but the front office was right in letting him walk when they did. Just 3 short years after the decision to let him leave via free agency was made, Faneca is now out of football. He will never be forgotten though and we wish him well in his life after a storied NFL career. It will be a joy to see him go into Canton as a Steeler and I hope he considers getting into coaching down the road in addition, preferable back with the Steelers.

Below is his statement on his retirement:

"After a lot of thought I am announcing my retirement from Professional Football. Playing in the NFL has been a childhood dream come true. Thirteen years later I have decided that it is time to move on.

"From the dog days of training camp to winning a Super Bowl the memories are endless. The greatest memory that I will leave the game with is all of the lifelong friendships I have made.

"I want to specifically thank the Steelers, Jets, and Cardinals. Each and every teammate, coach and front office employee has made a lasting impact on my life. It was a pleasure playing for first class organizations who surrounded me with incredibly dedicated individuals. I want to thank each of the beat writers that covered me throughout my career. These guys work hard and always treated me with respect. I want to also thank the fans. The roar of the crowd kept me going more than the fans will ever know.

"It is time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I can't wait to spend more time with my family. Playing in this league for as long as I did takes sacrifice, not only by me, but by each of them. I want to thank Julie, Annabelle and Burton for allowing me to fulfill all of my boyhood dreams. I couldn't have done it without you."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/al ... -him-walk/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/alan-faneca-retires-steelers-made-right-decision-letting-him-walk/)

Totally agree they made the right decision letting him walk. He was becoming a locker room cancer.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-11-2011, 08:48 AM
I agree. We haven't even had one conversation in here about interior OL since he left. :evil:

rpmpit
05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Great player. That's not really debatable. But along with the great play, I'll remember the negative comments about Ben starting as a rookie and all the garbage with Tomlin and Grimm. Like many before him, he left the Steelers and fizzled out. I just hope Ike was paying attention.

feltdizz
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Great player. That's not really debatable. But along with the great play, I'll remember the negative comments about Ben starting as a rookie and all the garbage with Tomlin and Grimm. Like many before him, he left the Steelers and fizzled out. I just hope Ike was paying attention.

I don't think any of us were happy to have a rookie playing QB in week 3... but Faneca said it in such a way it showed his true douchebaggery.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Fanny played three more seasons in the NFL and made a boatload of money after leaving the Steelers. We should all "fizzle out" so badly.

rpmpit
05-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Fanny played three more seasons in the NFL and made a boatload of money after leaving the Steelers. We should all "fizzle out" so badly.

If all you're going by is money earned then yeah, he did ok. But he got cut by the Jets and then played for the Cards - two of the worst teams in the NFL as far as history goes. Compare that with finishing his career as one of the best players in the history of the greatest franchise in football. As well as missing the opportunity to play in two more Super Bowls. Yeah, I'd call that fizzling out.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-11-2011, 11:05 PM
All told, he made 29.5 million in the three years after he left the Steelers. You've got to know he wouldn't have made anything close to that by staying in Pittsburgh. And who's to say his play wouldn't have dropped off just as dramatically if he had stayed put?

He got older and wore down. It happens to a lot of players. But Faneca chose to cash in at the end of his career. We would all like to think we would do differently, that we would put team loyalty ahead of money...But think about it--he would likely have made over 10 million dollars LESS if he had stayed. That represents a lot of financial security for the Faneca descendants, for generations down the line.

NJ-STEELER
05-12-2011, 01:25 AM
the jets cut him because of salary.

he made the pro bowl his first year there.

in his 2 years with the jets they made the playoffs twice, and made it to an AFCC in his 2nd year largely relying on the run game

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2011, 01:47 AM

Tomlin unworried about comments, accepts that Faneca preferred Grimm

Tuesday, February 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070213lf_tomlin_230.jpg

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says that he does not rule by intimidation.

The first discouraging words from within since the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as head coach came from 4,657 miles away, from guard Alan Faneca, a team co-captain playing in his sixth Pro Bowl in Honolulu.

The new coach tackled this initial public difference of in-house opinion yesterday by saying he was not really surprised.

"Yeah, I did see what he said and, no, I'm not concerned about it whatsoever," Tomlin said.

"Transition's never easy, particularly at a place like this that has had great stability. Some organizations get quite used to change; this is not one of them, thankfully. So you don't expect it to be easy or comfortable for everyone, but not concerned about that at all."

Faneca, a nine-year starter, displayed disappointment over the weekend that neither of the two candidates on the staff, Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt, were hired to replace Bill Cowher when he resigned. Faneca has not yet met with Tomlin, who has talked individually with more than half of the players on the roster.

"I wanted Russ to get the job," Faneca said from Honolulu, where the Pro Bowl was played Saturday night. "It's a guy we know, and a guy I'm experienced with. I hoped Russ would get that opportunity, but it didn't work out.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them."

Tomlin said once the players get to know him, those questions will "quickly be laid to bed" and that he does not rule by intimidation.

"Some people motivate through fear. To me, fear is not a good long-term motivator. I think you motivate true professionals through teaching, so that's my approach. Charismatic leadership or motivation, fear motivation, or teaching; I tend to focus on teaching.

"I'm not here to entertain them, or try to win them over immediately with glitz and glamour. That's short-lived. I'm going to be myself. We're going to get started about the business of putting together a great football team. That's just rolling your sleeves up and going to work on a day-to-day basis."

Tomlin answered questions for 30 minutes from nine newspaper reporters who cover the team yesterday, his first group interview since his initial news conference Jan. 22, the day after he was hired.

Among other more notable topics discussed by Tomlin yesterday:

While he talked to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger more than any other player so far, the topic of his riding a motorcycle with or without a helmet was not broached.

"There'll be very few boundaries with me, not only with him but with any of the men in terms of things like that, because I'd ask him to do the same thing with me one-on-one. I have no problem having those kinds of discussions, not only with Ben but with anybody."

Tomlin said he would expect a starting quarterback, no matter who he is, "to play winning football, to manage the game, to do the detail things that are required to keep the chains moving and to ring up the scoreboard."

After watching Willie Parker on tape, Tomlin's opinion of the starting halfback changed.

"I think initially coming in, I had a perception of him as a perimeter runner. But it was obvious the more tape I watched that he's capable of hurting you in a variety of ways. I'm developing a great deal of respect for what he's capable of doing as a ballcarrier in all facets of the game."

Still, he still believes the Steelers need to find a second back to complement Parker, and that back could be on their roster.

"We have potential men identified. ... I think just having the ability to be multiple, having the ability to attack defenses in different ways. If you look at New Orleans, Deuce McAllister is a power man, Reggie Bush is speed. If you look at New England, Corey Dillon is power, the rookie Laurence Maroney is speed.

"You have to have the ability to have a change of pace offense, to attack people in different ways. Central, from a perimeter standpoint, having the ability to play both in the game at the same time and go two-back or one-back. It just gives the defense more things to work on. I think it's just part of today's NFL."

He has viewed plenty of tape since his arrival and formed opinions, but would not offer any on what went wrong last season for the defending Super Bowl champs.

"I'm not looking back to pass judgment on what happened here, nor do I care what happened here. My focus is the '07 Steelers, not the '06 Steelers."

The Steelers are unlikely to draft certain styles of players based on whether they continue to run the 3-4 defense or move toward a 4-3.

"The elite players defy scheme," Tomlin said. "Troy Polamalu's going to be an excellent safety, regardless of what defensive scheme he's in. Casey Hampton's going to be a dominant interior defensive lineman, regardless of what scheme he's in. So the elite players defy scheme. We're not going to get enamored with that. What we're going to do is we're going to continue to shape our package to do what our players do and do well. It'll be a constant evolution, just like the players are constantly evolving."

He's all for using starters on special teams, something Cowher tried to avoid.

"I have an all-hands-on-deck mentality. And you guys will find it's not going to be lip service. It's a legitimate phase of the game."

First published on February 13, 2007 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07044/76 ... z1MCW2SEQd (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07044/761700-66.stm#ixzz1MCW2SEQd)

frankthetank1
05-13-2011, 08:08 AM

I don't think any of us were happy to have a rookie playing QB in week 3... but Faneca said it in such a way it showed his true douchebaggery.

opposed to turnover tommy i was very happy to have anyone under center besides maddox haha. no matter what though faneca should of kept his trap shut. he also had a pink panty melt down when grimm wasnt made HC. if he was a smart man he should of kept his mouth shut. he was no where near worth the money the jets paid him. another great move by the steeler FO

Oviedo
05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Tomlin unworried about comments, accepts that Faneca preferred Grimm

Tuesday, February 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070213lf_tomlin_230.jpg

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says that he does not rule by intimidation.

The first discouraging words from within since the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as head coach came from 4,657 miles away, from guard Alan Faneca, a team co-captain playing in his sixth Pro Bowl in Honolulu.

The new coach tackled this initial public difference of in-house opinion yesterday by saying he was not really surprised.

"Yeah, I did see what he said and, no, I'm not concerned about it whatsoever," Tomlin said.

"Transition's never easy, particularly at a place like this that has had great stability. Some organizations get quite used to change; this is not one of them, thankfully. So you don't expect it to be easy or comfortable for everyone, but not concerned about that at all."

Faneca, a nine-year starter, displayed disappointment over the weekend that neither of the two candidates on the staff, Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt, were hired to replace Bill Cowher when he resigned. Faneca has not yet met with Tomlin, who has talked individually with more than half of the players on the roster.

"I wanted Russ to get the job," Faneca said from Honolulu, where the Pro Bowl was played Saturday night. "It's a guy we know, and a guy I'm experienced with. I hoped Russ would get that opportunity, but it didn't work out.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them."

Tomlin said once the players get to know him, those questions will "quickly be laid to bed" and that he does not rule by intimidation.

"Some people motivate through fear. To me, fear is not a good long-term motivator. I think you motivate true professionals through teaching, so that's my approach. Charismatic leadership or motivation, fear motivation, or teaching; I tend to focus on teaching.

"I'm not here to entertain them, or try to win them over immediately with glitz and glamour. That's short-lived. I'm going to be myself. We're going to get started about the business of putting together a great football team. That's just rolling your sleeves up and going to work on a day-to-day basis."

Tomlin answered questions for 30 minutes from nine newspaper reporters who cover the team yesterday, his first group interview since his initial news conference Jan. 22, the day after he was hired.

Among other more notable topics discussed by Tomlin yesterday:

While he talked to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger more than any other player so far, the topic of his riding a motorcycle with or without a helmet was not broached.

"There'll be very few boundaries with me, not only with him but with any of the men in terms of things like that, because I'd ask him to do the same thing with me one-on-one. I have no problem having those kinds of discussions, not only with Ben but with anybody."

Tomlin said he would expect a starting quarterback, no matter who he is, "to play winning football, to manage the game, to do the detail things that are required to keep the chains moving and to ring up the scoreboard."

After watching Willie Parker on tape, Tomlin's opinion of the starting halfback changed.

"I think initially coming in, I had a perception of him as a perimeter runner. But it was obvious the more tape I watched that he's capable of hurting you in a variety of ways. I'm developing a great deal of respect for what he's capable of doing as a ballcarrier in all facets of the game."

Still, he still believes the Steelers need to find a second back to complement Parker, and that back could be on their roster.

"We have potential men identified. ... I think just having the ability to be multiple, having the ability to attack defenses in different ways. If you look at New Orleans, Deuce McAllister is a power man, Reggie Bush is speed. If you look at New England, Corey Dillon is power, the rookie Laurence Maroney is speed.

"You have to have the ability to have a change of pace offense, to attack people in different ways. Central, from a perimeter standpoint, having the ability to play both in the game at the same time and go two-back or one-back. It just gives the defense more things to work on. I think it's just part of today's NFL."

He has viewed plenty of tape since his arrival and formed opinions, but would not offer any on what went wrong last season for the defending Super Bowl champs.

"I'm not looking back to pass judgment on what happened here, nor do I care what happened here. My focus is the '07 Steelers, not the '06 Steelers."

The Steelers are unlikely to draft certain styles of players based on whether they continue to run the 3-4 defense or move toward a 4-3.

"The elite players defy scheme," Tomlin said. "Troy Polamalu's going to be an excellent safety, regardless of what defensive scheme he's in. Casey Hampton's going to be a dominant interior defensive lineman, regardless of what scheme he's in. So the elite players defy scheme. We're not going to get enamored with that. What we're going to do is we're going to continue to shape our package to do what our players do and do well. It'll be a constant evolution, just like the players are constantly evolving."

He's all for using starters on special teams, something Cowher tried to avoid.

"I have an all-hands-on-deck mentality. And you guys will find it's not going to be lip service. It's a legitimate phase of the game."

First published on February 13, 2007 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07044/76 ... z1MCW2SEQd (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07044/761700-66.stm#ixzz1MCW2SEQd)

Just proves how right the Rooney's got it when they slected Tomlin in that he didn't let a "crybaby" effect how he did his job.

I have to say when he left I never once said I wish Faneca was here. Guy was always a good run blocker but a mediocre pass blocker. As our offense emphasized the pass more he would have been exposed even more.

As far as the Tomlin vs Grimm debate, history has proven that to be a non-debate. No one in the NFL wants Grimm as a head coach and he would have been a disaster as one.

proudpittsburgher
05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
People need to get over their hatred for Faneca. I would state with confidence that anyone, ANYONE, who has spent a lot of time with an organization would question a big decision made when they truly think the passed-on candidate was the right choice.

You have been with a company for a decade or so, and one of your close friends was passed over and let walk for a guy no one knew, yea, you would be a little miffed too. It doesn't mean he knew better, he just thought otherwise and felt for his buddy.

He didn't harbor any hatred for Ben when the QB switch was made, but the Steelers spent all preseason with a plan with an experienced Qb at the helm, and all that goes away in an instant with one big Ravens hit. You had big plans for a super bowl, and now you have a true rook behind center. A reporter sticks a recorder in front of his face after a game, and you are going to crucify Faneca for saying what everyone was thinking? REALLY?

And to top it all off, you bust yoru ass and anchor an o-line which was considered a strength, you are yearly recogized by your peers as the best at your position, and then the team you did all this for says you aren't worth what some rookie out of college is worth when the redskins or some other team overpays for them. You honestly just going to go about your business without being a bit miffed???

The Steelers were right in letting him walk, and Faneca was right in expecting more money which he thought he had earned, which he got.

Some of you have some seriesly unrealistic expectations out of people. I know he's not going to see this, but I go on record as saying good luck, Alan and thanks for all of the years you gave us. You have earned a special spot in Steeler Nation my man! :tt1

feltdizz
05-13-2011, 11:34 AM
People need to get over their hatred for Faneca. I would state with confidence that anyone, ANYONE, who has spent a lot of time with an organization would question a big decision made when they truly think the passed-on candidate was the right choice.

You have been with a company for a decade or so, and one of your close friends was passed over and let walk for a guy no one knew, yea, you would be a little miffed too. It doesn't mean he knew better, he just thought otherwise and felt for his buddy.

He didn't harbor any hatred for Ben when the QB switch was made, but the Steelers spent all preseason with a plan with an experienced Qb at the helm, and all that goes away in an instant with one big Ravens hit. You had big plans for a super bowl, and now you have a true rook behind center. A reporter sticks a recorder in front of his face after a game, and you are going to crucify Faneca for saying what everyone was thinking? REALLY?

And to top it all off, you bust yoru bad word and anchor an o-line which was considered a strength, you are yearly recogized by your peers as the best at your position, and then the team you did all this for says you aren't worth what some rookie out of college is worth when the redskins or some other team overpays for them. You honestly just going to go about your business without being a bit miffed???

The Steelers were right in letting him walk, and Faneca was right in expecting more money which he thought he had earned, which he got.

Some of you have some seriesly unrealistic expectations out of people. I know he's not going to see this, but I go on record as saying good luck, Alan and thanks for all of the years you gave us. You have earned a special spot in Steeler Nation my man! :tt1

The Ben response... it was bad. You can doubt the rookie but dude had ZERO faith in Ben. Not a good look IMO.

Now as far as the contract went? Umm... no, he was wrong for that one. Only a fool would think the Redskins overpaying for a guy would prove Faneca's worth to the Steelers organization. Faneca had his pay day... stop crying.

Grimm not getting the job? As soon as Faneca saw Grimm leave the interview in a plaid button up with no jacket he should have known the outcome. Hell, any Steeler who has half a brain should have known we weren't going to stay in house.

How can an employee get mad when the company he works for sticks to the same mantra they had for the last 50 years?

proudpittsburgher
05-13-2011, 11:46 AM

And to top it all off, you bust yoru bad word and anchor an o-line which was considered a strength, you are yearly recogized by your peers as the best at your position, and then the team you did all this for says you aren't worth what some rookie out of college is worth when the redskins or some other team overpays for them. You honestly just going to go about your business without being a bit miffed???

The Ben response... it was bad. You can doubt the rookie but dude had ZERO faith in Ben. Not a good look IMO.

Now as far as the contract went? Umm... no, he was wrong for that one. Only a fool would think the Redskins overpaying for a guy would prove Faneca's worth to the Steelers organization. Faneca had his pay day... stop crying.

Grimm not getting the job? As soon as Faneca saw Grimm leave the interview in a plaid button up with no jacket he should have known the outcome. Hell, any Steeler who has half a brain should have known we weren't going to stay in house.

How can an employee get mad when the company he works for sticks to the same mantra they had for the last 50 years?

All I am saying is he is human. The same people who have hatred for AF would have likely felt the same way as he did. And last I checked, agents have been taking bad contracts into negotiations forever to prove an inflated worth for their clients. It's how the pay structure has gotten to where it is today, which is completely screwed up. Faneca may not have been worth market value, but his valuie likely rested somewhere inbetween what the Steelers were arguing and what he was. It's how it works. Seriously, did anyone have a provlem with El when he cashed in after winning a Lombardi? I certainly didn't. It's how it works. You get your ring, now go get you some money. I'm not arguing the Steelers made bad decisions in any of the cases I mentioned, but I have no problem with Faneca havign a freakin opinion and answering questions honestly. He's a professional who cares enough about people and teams to take these things personally. I wuld much rather have that than a machine who is only out for himself.

feltdizz
05-13-2011, 03:03 PM
All I am saying is he is human. The same people who have hatred for AF would have likely felt the same way as he did. And last I checked, agents have been taking bad contracts into negotiations forever to prove an inflated worth for their clients. It's how the pay structure has gotten to where it is today, which is completely screwed up. Faneca may not have been worth market value, but his valuie likely rested somewhere inbetween what the Steelers were arguing and what he was. It's how it works. Seriously, did anyone have a provlem with El when he cashed in after winning a Lombardi? I certainly didn't. It's how it works. You get your ring, now go get you some money. I'm not arguing the Steelers made bad decisions in any of the cases I mentioned, but I have no problem with Faneca havign a freakin opinion and answering questions honestly. He's a professional who cares enough about people and teams to take these things personally. I wuld much rather have that than a machine who is only out for himself.

El didn't throw a boo hoo fest before he left. I have no problem with Faneca leaving but he was throwing temper tantrums before he left.

While you think Alan was all about the team he was only about himself. It was all about his money, his feelings about Ben and his preference for the HC job.

What team first guy would throw a rookie QB under the bus when it's the only option we had?

Oviedo
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM

El didn't throw a boo hoo fest before he left. I have no problem with Faneca leaving but he was throwing temper tantrums before he left.

While you think Alan was all about the team he was only about himself. It was all about his money, his feelings about Ben and his preference for the HC job.

What team first guy would throw a rookie QB under the bus when it's the only option we had?

I agree 100% with "felt"!!! ARE left, no crying or undermining the team. Nate Washington left, no crying. Joey Porter left, no crying.

Faneca wanted it both ways and will always IMO poorly played this as someone who was suppose to be a professional. He wasn't and while I don't hate the guy because I don't know him I have alot less respect for him.

fordfixer
05-15-2011, 02:35 AM
On the Steelers: Faneca was a rare breed
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11135/1146702-66-0.stm

The retirement of Alan Faneca from pro football brought a Tweet from colleague Dale Lolley, who covers the Steelers for the Observer-Reporter of Washington, Pa.

"Big Red calling it quits makes me feel old," Lolley wrote.

Dear Dale, Lynn Swann calling it quits made me feel old, and he retired after the 1982 season. Swann is half a year younger than I am.

But Lolley has a point, and Faneca's retirement prompted a quick look into the history books.

He was one of only six current or former Steelers still active to have played in Three Rivers Stadium. The others are Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans (both now with the Cardinals) and kicker Kris Brown (now with the Cowboys). Until Faneca retired, the Cardinals had more left who played in Three Rivers (3) than the Steelers (2).

Flozell Adams' then-Cowboys did not play in Three Rivers during his time in Dallas, but he's also part of a dwindling number of players to have pulled on pro uniforms in the 20th century.

Five players are the only draftees left from when Tom Donahoe served as the Steelers director of football operations. Faneca and Ward were drafted in 1998, and Porter, Smith and Brown in 1999. Deshea Townsend, also drafted in '98, played eight games for the Colts last season and this year took a job coaching the secondary with the Cardinals.

Faneca made nine Pro Bowls and six All-Pro teams (not eight, as has been listed in some places because second team defeats the purpose of the All-Pro team and he made two of those). The seven Pro Bowls he made with the Steelers are five more than all their other guards combined over the past 49 seasons. Only two other Steelers guards made a Pro Bowl during that time, Carlton Haselrig and Duval Love, one each.

Those seven Pro Bowls also amount to three more than all the Steelers tackles combined over the past 46 seasons. Larry Brown (one), Tunch Ilkin (two) and Marvel Smith (one) were the only Steelers tackles selected to the NFL all-star team during the past 41/2 decades.

Joe Greene stands tall among all the Steelers with 10 Pro Bowls while playing for them. Tied for second are Ernie Stautner, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert and Mike Webster with nine apiece. All are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, as is Rod Woodson, who earned 11 Pro Bowls but four came after he left the Steelers.

An added amazement to Faneca's success was he did it all while an epileptic, although he had the condition under control after he was diagnosed at age 15. It's also a condition Chuck Noll had that few knew about. For a time there, of the Steelers starting two guards, one had epilepsy and the other, Kendall Simmons, severe diabetes. It makes Faneca's record of starting every game but three after he took over at left guard as a rookie in October 1998 even more remarkable.

Faneca's strengths were in all areas: He was excellent blocking on both the run and the pass, he was big and strong and could trap block, or pull out and block to the other side of the line. He was smart and, not to be underplayed, durable. He had not missed a start since 2001 and then only because Bill Cowher rested him for the final meaningless regular-season game against Cleveland. He started his rookie season and missed only two other starts in his entire career after that, both in 1999 because of ankle injuries.

Faneca was the NFLPA player rep for three years with the Steelers, and he always was available to the media and interesting to interview. He offered one quote that has lived in infamy and rarely is put into perspective.

One day after quarterback Tommy Maddox's elbow was injured in the second game of the 2004 season, someone innocently asked Faneca if he was excited to see rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger play. That got a quick rise out of Big Red.

"Exciting? No, it's not exciting," Faneca quickly responded. "Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?"

Faneca was thinking more about his injured friend, Maddox, than he was of seeing some little young kid just out of college. It was not anti-Ben, yet it was spun that way in some circles. Faneca was held up to some mild ridicule as the Steelers proceeded to go 13-0 with Ben as their starting quarterback the rest of the 2004 regular season.

Put into context, though, it might have been similar to any Steelers reaction at that time.

The only other moment of conflict with Faneca came in 2007, when he played his final season after he and his agent turned down a Steelers multi-year contract. They did not believe it was enough and certainly there were some great Steelers players before him who followed the same path, most notably Harris and Woodson. He said some things out of anger during that summer minicamp but said they were more out of realizing he would no longer remain a Steeler.

"I was more upset about leaving," Faneca said from his home near New Orleans the past week. "I didn't want to go. That was my whole thing. I never wanted to leave. Any feelings I had or things I said was based on not wanting to leave, not wanting to go. I said 'I won't be here next year,' not threatening but I really felt I'm not going to be here.

"None of it ever made me happy. I didn't want to leave. Definitely, I look back on my time in Pittsburgh very fondly and enjoyed my time and wanted to finish there."

Dan Rooney has mentioned two players he wishes had spent their entire careers with the Steelers and not finished up elsewhere, Harris and Woodson. He likely will add a third, Alan Faneca.
A built-in excuse

The Miami Dolphins are not the first team nor likely the last to reduce their employees' salaries and blame it on their own lockout, just the latest. The Dolphins cut salaries of secretaries, office workers, etc. up to 20 percent and blamed the lockout.

This is unconscionable. The Dolphins, like every NFL team except for the New York Giants, are forcing their season ticket holders to pony up the money for their seats like any normal year. There is little difference for them in cash flow now than there was last spring, the spring before that or the spring before that. In fact, they are paying nothing to their players as they would in past springs -- no roster bonuses, no workout bonuses, not even the minimal amount they must pay for the players to attend OTAs. They have no player medical costs, health benefits or any other kinds of benefits. They don't even have to feed them as they would during the workouts.

It looks as though the Dolphins and their ilk are trying to make the players look bad for the owners locking them out. The Palm Beach Post reported that 11 teams, plus the NFL office itself, has enacted pay cuts. However, the paper wrongly included the Steelers among those. The Steelers have instituted no paycuts, no furloughs, no layoffs and plan none, although perhaps that could change if the season and their actual income is affected.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11135/11 ... z1MOszl2WK (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11135/1146702-66-0.stm#ixzz1MOszl2WK)