PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Ramblings...

SteelHead
05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
1. Is it totally ridiculous that I've just recently started to get over "the loss" ? I mean , I literally couldn't even watch or listen to anything football related until about 3 weeks ago and that was only because the draft was coming.

2. I'm certainly no "draftnik" but didn't this years draft class seem a bit weak ? All things considered , I think we got tremendous value with Heyward. Love the pick , just seems like a Steeler doesn't he ?

3. Enough with all this talk about Potsie not having anything left in the tank. Dude is still a beast on the field. Yes , he gets beat in space from time to time , what LB doesn't ? When it comes to instincts , leadership , run stuffing and blitzes up the middle , he's second to none at the position in a 3-4 D. Of course , his EVENTUAL replacement should be groomed but I fully expect another 2-3 seasons of highly productive play and leadership. It really is amazing how in shape this guy is at 36 and to miss as little time as he does. AMAZING.

4. So I was looking through the Steelers draft history and just happened to notice that Keisel is probably the greatest 7th round pick in Steeler history. Take it a step further , you could easily say he's one of the best late round picks we've ever had. Props to Diesel.

5. I'm really excited about seeing the progress Worilds makes in his second year. I know he probably wont see the field a ton (barring injury) but I hope he gets a shot to contribute on 3rd downs. I've got a feeling about this kid....

6. I don't think I've ever been as underwhelmed about the depth at any one given position as I am about our DB group this year. We'd better pray we sign Ike to something close to reasonable and that McFadden has a bounce back year. Behind that you have Gay, who to me is a average career nickel guy and a bunch of unproven , raw young talent with little to no experience. Yikes....here's hoping Lake can coach these guys up and bring some swagger to the position that we sorely lack.

7. Even if Smitty is 100% healthy at the start of the year , Ziggy should supplant him as the starter. The future is now....

8. I think I understand what Mendy was TRYING to say with his Twitter escapade however poorly put it was. Usama deserved what he got but to see people chanting , dancing and smiling ear to ear in the streets seemed to me to be unbecoming of Americans and Christians alike. Death , no matter how justified shouldn't be celebrated in the fashion some did. There is NOTHING wrong however with being extremely proud of your country and military for eliminating a dangerous enemy , which I am. I must say though , watching some of the "celebration" footage looked , if only briefly, more like a street in a middle eastern country than it did a neighborhood in an American city. IMO it would of sent a much stronger signal to the rest of the world to of acted like "we've been there before" , to use a football reference.

9. So this Goodell character.....a real pompous jerk isn't he ?

10. IMO this team has a 3 year window coming up where our likelihood to win more championships is greater than it will be in year four. The main reason for stating this is Ben's style of play. It's never going to change and that's fine by me but it will eventually catch up with him. I think he's got 3 more seasons of being in his prime physically and if he's even half as devastated as I was over "the loss" then the league better watch out. Couple that with an ever growing list of aging vets on the back end of their careers and it all points to my suggested 3 year window.

11. Anyone think Troy is healthy for the entire 2011 season ? (....crickets....)

12. As underwhelmed as I am about our DB depth , I'm really excited about our WR group. Have we ever had this much young talent at the position at one time ? Imagine if Limas turns it around too. Love this group. Let's hope due to the labor dispute the young guys don't miss too much OTA/training camp , I don't want any setbacks on this stellar groups promising 2011 season.

13. NT depth ? Ouch......

14. We finally saw Heath being utilized as a pass catcher in 2009 only to see him be relegated to a third tackle again in 2010. Let's hope our line stays healthy this year so we can get this guy the ball more often. Seeing him snag balls and gallop down the field like a deer on steroids is truly a wonderful thing.

15. Did we finally see Hines skills start to significantly erode last year ? The stats were not nearly as good as 2009 but the eyeball test told the real story. Sad to say but it's probably his last season in the black and gold.

16. Was watching NFL networks top 100 players of 2011 over the weekend and saw Woodley came in at like #86 or something and he was the 1st Steelers on the list. First off, seems a bit low for Woodley and secondly did I hear correct that the Steelers have the most players on the list at seven ? If that's the case I'll guess its Wood , Deebo , Troy , Timmons , Ben , Wallace and Mendy.

17. Did I mention I officially hate the Packers now ?

That is all. Love ya Steeler Nation !

Captain Lemming
05-09-2011, 10:02 PM
4. So I was looking through the Steelers draft history and just happened to notice that Keisel is probably the greatest 7th round pick in Steeler history. Take it a step further , you could easily say he's one of the best late round picks we've ever had. Props to Diesel.

Sometimes I think some of you guys were born sometime around the time Tommy Maddox was our QB.

Keisel is a fine player. By no measure is he "great" (save for the beard which is without peer). :wink:

When he retires he will be known as the third best player on a three man line. Tremendous "value" at round 7 true but lets not get carried away.

He is not the best late round "defensive end" we have had.

Here are the accolades of of a certain defensive end who was a "10th" round pick.

All-Pro Teams
Year Team
1973 1st Team All-Conf. Pro Football Weekly
1973 2nd Team All-Conf. UPI
1974 1st Team All-Conf. Associated Press
1974 1st Team All-Conf. Pro Football Weekly
1974 1st Team All-Conf. Sporting News
1974 1st Team All-Conf. UPI
1974 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press
1974 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers
1974 2nd Team All-NFL Newspaper Ent. Assoc.
1974 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Weekly
1975 1st Team All-Conf. Associated Press
1975 1st Team All-Conf. Pro Football Weekly
1975 1st Team All-Conf. Sporting News
1975 1st Team All-Conf. UPI
1975 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press
1975 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers
1975 1st Team All-NFL Newspaper Ent. Assoc.
1975 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Weekly
1976 2nd Team All-Conf. UPI
1978 1st Team All-Conf. Sporting News
1978 2nd Team All-Conf. UPI
1979 1st Team All-Conf. Sporting News
1979 1st Team All-Conf. UPI

flippy
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
There's no way to compare stats of a 4-3 DE vs a 3-4DE.

The amount of pressure Keisel generates is really unmatched in the history of 3-4 DEs. But 3-4 DEs will never get the recognition of a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB because we're mesmerized by stats.

Keisel is a freak. I always though he could have been most dominant at a lighter weight playing OLB. No one gives Keisel the props he deserves (outside his beard of course).

I don't think we've ever had a defender with Keisel's combo of size and speed. Levon Kirkland was close, but Keisel's bigger and faster and has one heck of a motor on him.

Although I got googly eyed over Keisel the first time I saw him on kick coverage out running ever other defender down the field as if his life depended on it. To this day, I've never see a 300lb player outrun the rest of his kick coverage team.

Keisel is a special athlete that took on the unheralded 3-4 DE position. He and Smitty will never get the recognition they deserve. Smitty should go down as the best 3-4 DE of all time and Keisel isnt far behind bringing a little more of a pass rushing skillset.

Anyone ever tract QB pressures over Keisel's starting career? I bet he generates more pressure than Harrison or Woodley. But cause the NFL tracks sacks instead of pressures, Keisel will just never get his due and he's a casualty of the system he plays in.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
16. Was watching NFL networks top 100 players of 2011 over the weekend and saw Woodley came in at like #86 or something and he was the 1st Steelers on the list. First off, seems a bit low for Woodley and secondly did I hear correct that the Steelers have the most players on the list at seven ? If that's the case I'll guess its Wood , Deebo , Troy , Timmons , Ben , Wallace and Mendy.

Wood was #82, not 86...that's the good news.

But you did hear incorrect about the number of Steelers on the list....there are 4.

That could only mean that the other three are Ben, JH, and Troy. I can live without Mendenhall - not because of his tweeting but because McFadden was already on week one (100-91) and I'd take him over Rashard in a heartbeat.

Timmons is a huge oversight. I guess because everyone spends so much time concentrating on our bookends that they completely forgot the way Timmons has been playing the past year and a half or so.

Wallace is a tough miss too. I think that his game is not yet well rounded and he will get much better, but he has blazed some nice numbers in only two years. I guess we will just have to see which WRs are up ahead of him.

Captain Lemming
05-10-2011, 01:09 AM
There's no way to compare stats of a 4-3 DE vs a 3-4DE.

I never mentioned a single "stat". Sacks weren’t an “official” league stat (Steelers kept unofficial numbers) back then. Eyeballs saw the dude dominate games period.

The amount of pressure Keisel generates is really unmatched in the history of 3-4 DEs. But 3-4 DEs will never get the recognition of a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB because we're mesmerized by stats.

Smitty at his best was MUCH more of a pass rush threat. As was Ray Seals back in the day. Richard Seymour? You really think Keisel is more of a pass rush threat than him?

Keisel is a freak. I always though he could have been most dominant at a lighter weight playing OLB. No one gives Keisel the props he deserves (outside his beard of course).

He is fast at his size. "Freakish" fast? No. Freakish beard???? Okay.
Mario Williams, bigger than Keisel was coming out of college doing a 4.7. THAT is a freak.

That int run was beautiful though, 300 pounder "takin it to da house!!!"

That quote.....even more than the run itself is my favorite Keisel moment. :lol:

Keisel is a special athlete that took on the unheralded 3-4 DE position. He and Smitty will never get the recognition they deserve. Smitty should go down as the best 3-4 DE of all time and Keisel isnt far behind bringing a little more of a pass rushing skillset.

Anyone ever tract QB pressures over Keisel's starting career? I bet he generates more pressure than Harrison or Woodley. But cause the NFL tracks sacks instead of pressures, Keisel will just never get his due and he's a casualty of the system he plays in.

No he does not get more pressures than either outside LBers. That is absured, especially Harrison who is a hold away from a sack ALL DAY LONG.

If teams can keep you from getting close ALL THE TIME. If you are in a QBs face more than the most prolific sack tandem in the league, you would get to the QB more than THREE TIMES.

If he was only in the 4-3 like he was in college. He would be the unstoppable beast he was at BYU.

Terrorizing the mighty MOUNTAIN WEST his 3 total sacks as a senior (two against perennial powerhouse UTAH STATE), he earned a coveted spot on the Mountain West HONORABLE MENTION team. He did that when he could do 4.89 at something like 270.

Really? In a 4-3.
This is the athletic FREAK we are talking about?

Keisel is a fine player.

He is a nice fit for OUR SYSTEM.

He is NOT a "great" NFL player being held back from "great numbers" due to our system.

flippy
05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Since he's become a starter, he's been regularly leading the team in QB pressures. He doesn't get sacks so he doesn't get the glory of the other guys. But he's constantly disrupting the QB's rhythm/timing.

QB pressures are just as important as sacks.

feltdizz
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Steeler fans always go overboard to give our front 3 credit. How many times do we have to hear about the unsung heroes? Every game I hear the commentators talk about how great and overlooked our front 3 are... Its getting to be a little annoying. Its like a chick who keeps saying she is fat just so people will disagree and tell her she is skinny.

Our front 3 get the respect front 3's get in a 3-4.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Steeler fans always go overboard to give our front 3 credit. How many times do we have to hear about the unsung heroes? Every game I hear the commentators talk about how great and overlooked our front 3 are... Its getting to be a little annoying. Its like a chick who keeps saying she is fat just so people will disagree and tell her she is skinny.

Our front 3 get the respect front 3's get in a 3-4.

So you are saying that they are overrated for being underrated? :wink:

SteelerNation1
05-10-2011, 09:13 PM
That NFL top 100 list is a Fu$kin joke!!!! Mike Williams from Tampa (I think) is on the list. Mike Wallace is not. J-o-k-e!