PDA

View Full Version : Making an impression

fordfixer
05-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Making an impression
April 29th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/04/29/making-an-impression/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

If Cameron Heyward is as impressive on the field as he was during his introductory news conference Friday the Steelers will have hit big on another first-round pick.
Heyward said all of the right things and did not get flustered when he got asked a bush question by a TV reporter -– a reporter, it should be pointed, who is rarely ever at the Steelers practice facility.
The question started as praise for the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, but it ended with Cameron Heyward getting what he thought about his father’s “tendency to get into trouble.”
The query left Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fuming but Heyward handled it like a pro.
“I think my dad made some bad decisions in the past but I learned a lot from that,” Heyward said. “Having that growing up and seeing what my mother dealt with it made me think that I don’t want to put anyone through that. Through his mistakes he was also a great man, and I think a lot of people understand that when you meet him.”
A quick comment about the question: Heyward will have to answer similar ones during his NFL career, and they are out of bounds. But in this case it was a classic case of wrong place, wrong time.
Heyward answered a number of other questions after the Steelers presented him with a No. 1 jersey and president Art Rooney II introduced him. Here are some excepts from his Q&A:

Q: What was your initial reaction when the Steelers picked you? Did you think they were going to take you?
A: “Coach Tomlin and a couple of other guys had told guys around me like my position coach and my mom, ‘If he’s there I’ll take him.’ But you don’t want to play into that. You’re going through the draft and I wanted to go to Pittsburgh so bad. I was looking at my phone and thinking don’t ring until the Steelers pick me. Luckily it worked out. My grandparents, all my extended family is from here. The chance to come back home and play for this team it’s a great honor. It’s a chance for me to compete for these guys and a chance to get better and learn from guys like Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith and Ziggy Hood. I look forward to taking knowledge from those guys, guys that have been here.”

Q: Did other teams show interest?
A: “A lot of teams showed interest so it was tough to gauge it. I always had a No. 1 next to Steelers. There chance to play for this team just means the world to me.”

Q: Are the Steelers a natural fit for you?
A: “I hope so. The Steelers have always been where I've wanted (to go), and I’ve always said that it's a match made in heaven. My mom came up to me and said that my dad was up in heaven working something out, so I think my game and the way I was brought up, I'm perfect for it. I understand the landscape, and I understand what great tradition and what great loyalty goes with it and the Rooneys. It's all great, and coming from Ohio State you deal with that. So, just getting the chance to be part of another great tradition is great.”

Q: Do you know Dick LeBeau?
A: “You have to. When you walk around Ohio State you hear about his name. He was a great player there and he’s come back a couple of time and talked to our team. He’s a man with a lot of wisdom and he definitely knows what he’s talking about. We try to emulate our defense like theirs but I know it’s another notch (up). He’s a heck of a coach and the chance to play your part on that defense is something great.”

Q: Was playing in the NFL always a dream of yours?
A: “I’d have to say that growing up, I wasn't going to play football. I didn't want to. You can ask my mom. I was more ready to do arts and crafts, but once I got the hang of it and once my coordination started catching up, I loved it. And I never wanted to let go of it. So, as I approached high school (football) and college, the ultimate goal always was to get to the NFL. And my grandmother always gave me Steelers sweatshirts for Christmas, so she already knew what was going to happen. It was just a matter of time.”

papillon
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Good things are coming from Heyward and it will start this year as a rookie; I can feel it.

Pappy

Shawn
05-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I think by midseason he has a solid chance of being in the rotation, if not sooner. I think Steeler fans will be pleasantly surprised.

Lebsteel
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Good things are coming from Heyward and it will start this year as a rookie; I can feel it.

Pappy
Pappy, I'm "hooked on your feeling!" :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Pappy
Pappy, I'm "hooked on your feeling!" :shock:

http://images5.cpcache.com/product/rock-retro-ooga+chaka/219010295v8_225x225_Front.jpghttp://jeffduartesucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DANCING_BABY.gif

harold
05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
that is somewhat disturbing...

papillon
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
that is somewhat disturbing...

No, Harold, it is more than somewhat disturbing, it's disturbing on many levels, but I've become accustomed to that sort of behavior from Ruthless and LebSteel. :P :tt2

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
C'mon, now...

That's not disturbing.

This is disturbing. :lol:

http://1cu2.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/63b13_FUNNY-TEST-ANSWER.jpg

Dresden
05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
@Ruthlesburgher. I dunna know dude,..after those last two posts ya juuuuust might be skating on hella thin "Late night sneaky Uncle" ice and may wanna reel it in a bit ? I'm just sayin :lol:

skyhawk
05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
C'mon, now...

That's not disturbing.

This is disturbing. :lol:

http://1cu2.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/63b13_FUNNY-TEST-ANSWER.jpg

What the h ell? :shock:

Now THAT's disturbing.

proudpittsburgher
05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
@Ruthlesburgher. I dunna know dude,..after those last two posts ya juuuuust might be skating on hella thin "Late night sneaky Uncle" ice and may wanna reel it in a bit ? I'm just sayin :lol:

Wha??????? I need some sort of translation. :o

hawaiiansteel
05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Former Buckeye Cameron Heyward juggles academics, preparations for NFL

By Matt Edwards
Monday, May 9, 2011

http://www.thelantern.com/polopoly_fs/1.2225323!/image/409420590.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/409420590.jpg

After lining up a job that guarantees a multimillion-dollar contract, the best benefits an employee can hope for and fame and recognition as the newest member of the Pittsburgh Steelers' dominant defense, it'd be easy to throw away your textbooks and forget lecture halls ever existed.

But former Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward isn't taking the easy way out.

Even after being drafted in the first round of last month's NFL draft, Heyward still attends classes and will graduate with a degree in education at the end of this quarter.

The motivation to finish college all comes from within. Heyward knows he wants to earn a degree and do something that has not been done before by anyone in his immediate family.

"I'm pushing myself," Heyward said. "I want to impress my family. I'll be the first one to graduate and that's just a big accomplishment."

Now that he's been drafted, his textbooks aren't the only books he needs to study.

Heyward was fortunate to get a playbook from his Pittsburgh coaching staff, something many draft picks weren't able to do as a result of the NFL lockout.

He said the playbook was the first thing he asked for when he arrived in Pittsburgh on April 29.

"The playbook is like a magazine," Heyward said. "I could read it all day, but I've still got to look at my textbooks."

Reading his textbooks might not help him a great deal when he's studying opposing offenses and which quarterback he'll be trying to sack on Sundays, but it could end up having a bigger impact sooner than he imagined.

If the NFL and NFL Players Association don't reach an agreement on the labor situation, delaying or canceling the season, Heyward said he will take advantage of the opportunity to complete his student-teaching duties.

Heyward would be teaching elementary aged children.

"I definitely want to do my student-teaching," Heyward said. "I didn't get a chance to do it, and I won't until after my career. But if I can go into that … that'd be so much fun and that's truly a dream of mine."

If an agreement is reached and Heyward ends up on the field instead of in the classroom, he will get a chance to return to Pittsburgh, where he's already been welcomed by some of the town's biggest celebrities.

Heyward said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger called him and wide receiver Hines Ward sent him a text message to congratulate him.

With offensive weapons like Roethlisberger and Ward and a defense that has allowed the fewest points in the league two of the past three seasons, Heyward sees no reason why his new team shouldn't compete for a championship every year.

"I like to think we have the best defensive line in the NFL right now," Heyward said. "It's unbelievable. We should be in the Super Bowl every year."

Roethlisberger and Ward won't be the only ones welcoming Heyward to the Steel City — Heyward was born in Pittsburgh and said he still has a lot of family in the area.

"It's like going back to your old stomping grounds," he said. "I'm very grateful and I feel blessed to be in this situation. Not a lot of players get to say they're going somewhere that they actually know a lot about.

"I get to see my extended family a little bit more. I'm a big family guy and the chance to see them a little bit more, I love it."

Heyward said he's "ecstatic" about being a Steeler but that it hasn't yet hit him full force that he will be playing professional football in his hometown.

"I'm just an average kid right now," he said. "It hasn't really set in to me that I'm going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler yet."

Heyward is just an average kid who stands 6-foot-5 and pushes 300 pounds, plays defensive end for one of the NFL's elite franchises and goes to class on weekday mornings.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/former ... -1.2225270 (http://www.thelantern.com/sports/former-buckeye-cameron-heyward-juggles-academics-preparations-for-nfl-1.2225270)