PDA

View Full Version : Should The Steelers Be Interested In David Akers?

hawaiiansteel
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Should The Pittsburgh Steelers Be Interested In David Akers?

Posted by Tom Jenkins May 6, 2011

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1256/1086256569_a037b8b878.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers saw what could possibly rank as one of the worst missed field goals in Super Bowl history in their big game against the eventual world champion Green Bay Packers. Kicker Shaun Suisham came in for a routine, albeit 52 yard, field goal, and promptly shanked it to the left. And it wasn’t a few inches from going in, or anything like that, it was quite possible that Suisham was suffering from a bit of double vision during the kick.

Now, we can debate whether or not the play calling was questionable for even sending the kicker out in that situation, which it was, or we can talk about just how bad a miss it was. 52 yard field goals aren’t easy, but even at that, if anything you expect them to be short, or at least come close in comparison to the kick that made Steelers fans cringe, Buffalo Bills fans reminisce, and Washington Redskins fans explode on Twitter saying ‘that’s the Suisham we know’.

While Suisham was nearly perfect for the team during the regular season, he does have a past history of missing some pretty pedestrian field goals, just ask those Redskins fans above, and they’ll talk about a time where he missed three short, crucial field goals, Dallas Cowboys fans will talk about his misses in a game they weren’t going to win anyway against the Minnesota Vikings and Steelers fans, of course have the ever memorable Super Bowl XLV kick.

While not known for his strong leg, he has shown flashes of being accurate, but for some reason always manages to get himself kicked out of town by missing field goals that he, should by all accounts, be making.

That may be what happens in Pittsburgh, especially with long time Philadelphia Eagles kicker David Akers presumably on the market after the team used a fourth round draft pick to select Alex Henery from Nebraska, who happens to be the NCAA’s most accurate kicker of all time.

Eagles fans tend to watch remnants of their organization just kind of fly away (no pun intended), no Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Brian Dawkins, etc. But, as Bryn Schwartz of Eagles Central said, “But one thing has always remained constant. Kicker David Akers.” and that is very true, Akers is currently the longest tenured Philadelphia Eagle, and indeed the current longest tenured Philadelphia sports player, for the moment at least.

But, for the man who has handled the kicking duties for the same team since his arrival in 1999, who has been elected to five Pro Bowls, and who has kicked in five NFC Championship games, the writing is on the wall.

When asked about his potential free agent status, Akers seemed to know that he was on his way out, offering this comment: “Looking back now, 12 years, it’s been a nice run.”

For the Steelers, Akers would, hopefully bring not only an aura of class, and a veteran presence that includes leadership, nobility, and humanity to the kicking corps, something that team hasn’t had for years upon years, but hopefully the team would rally around his charity, David Akers Kicks For Kids, a charity that hits close to home for Akers, who’s son, Luke, was treated for MSRA and who’s daughter, had to have a cancerous cyst removed from her left ovary.

Suisham hasn’t made too many terrible kicks for the few games that he played in Pittsburgh, but the one that stands out is the on that could have cut a Green Bay Super Bowl lead to a single point, and that may seal his fate, coupled with a kicker of Akers caliber being available.

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/0 ... kers.html/ (http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/05/should-the-pittsburgh-steelers-be-interested-in-david-akers.html/)

Dresden
05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Sushi is just fine. He was in no way responsible for the Packers humiliating us. The interceptions, poor throws, Mendenhall's fumble and our high school quality defensive backs took care of that for us.

IMO you shouldn't play the game to let it come down to kickers anyway. That and well,...i am not a proponent of spending considerable money on or going out of your way to acquire ANY kicker or punter. I'll pass

Shoe
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Sushi is just fine. He was in no way responsible for the Packers humiliating us. The interceptions, poor throws, Mendenhall's fumble and our high school quality defensive backs took care of that for us.

IMO you shouldn't play the game to let it come down to kickers anyway. That and well,...i am not a proponent of spending considerable money on or going out of your way to acquire ANY kicker or punter. I'll pass

I agree that Suisham did fine for us, but I certainly wouldn't ignore his past over it. The guy's been cut from his share of teams already, presumably because they didn't think he wasn't a good enough kicker. He would certainly have had to make that kick (I agree, that wasn't the reason we lost--I expected him to miss it, frankly)... but basically, if Akers is available and isn't cost prohibitive--I would feel much better having David Akers, than having Suisham.

birtikidis
05-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Myself, I'd go the safe route and at least bring in another leg to compete. It's not like you're paying a kicker a million a year.

plainnasty
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I would prefer Akers.

flippy
05-07-2011, 09:01 PM
if gary anderson isn't available, i say we give akers a looksee.

hawaiiansteel
05-07-2011, 09:34 PM
if gary anderson isn't available, i say we give akers a looksee.

did the titans release gary anderson? if he's a free agent, then that's a no-brainer... :D

http://www.nflcanada.com/News/2008/01/15/gary_anderson_LARGE.jpg

StarSpangledSteeler
05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I believe Kai Forbath is an UDFA. Just saying.

fordfixer
05-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Welcome to the Planet :tt1 :tt1

AzStillers1989
05-08-2011, 03:07 AM
haha gary anderson ... how old is he now ?? 49 ,50??

BradshawsHairdresser
05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
The author referred to Sushi's 52-yard attempt as "routine"? That's just ridiculous. No 52-yarder is "routine," especially in the Super Bowl.

I'm not necessarily pushing to keep Suisham, not if we can turn up a better option. But he's way down the list of those who ought to be blamed for the loss to the Peckers.

Shawn
05-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I would prefer Akers.

Agreed.

PSU_dropout43
05-10-2011, 01:24 AM
I'd prefer a new punter.

Scarletfire1970
05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
No thanks. I don't want Philly's trash. Besides, he isn't the same player he used to be which is why the Eagles don't want him anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Myself, I'd go the safe route and at least bring in another leg to compete. It's not like you're paying a kicker a million a year.

The Eagles drafted Henery after Akers refused to sign the transition tag, which would have paid him around $3 million for this coming season.

Ghost
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Back in August the Pats signed their kicker, Gostkowsi to a 4 year, $14 million contract extention. :shock:

The average salary for kickers is $868K so I'd say there are quite a few guys getting more than a million a year to kick.

Jooser
05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Which one can kick off longer?