PDA

View Full Version : Ravens looking for 'quick strike' vs Steelers

PSU_dropout43
05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... elers.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/05/ravens_looking_for_quick_strike_vs_steelers.html)

One of the Ravens' unspoken but vital goals in the draft was improving speed in the passing game. They did that with Torrey Smith in the second round.

Coach John Harbaugh acknowledged during the draft that upgrading speed was a priority. In his Wednesday night Town Hall meeting, via phone, with season-ticket holders, general manager Ozzie Newsome brought up the subject of speed when asked in what ways they had enhanced their chances of beating the Steelers.

"You know what?" Newsome said in response to a fan's question. "I'm going to say it another way. Pittsburgh's got to continue to find ways to beat us, too. I think we've got to find the quick strike. They have the ability to get you with a turnover. But if you can trump that by getting an easy score, like we almost did with the punt return, that kind of balances your books.

"I think getting Torrey into the mix will allow us to get the quick strike."

Smith posted a sub-4.4 time in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

Newsome also mentioned cornerback Jimmy Smith's ability to create an interception on defense will also lend itself to the quick strike.
"We have to find an equalizer," Newsome said. "When they find a way to get an easy touchdown against us, we have to find a way to get an easy touchdown against them."

During the teleconference, Ravens vice president told the season ticket-holders that Newsome, while not normally demonstrative during the draft, was visibly elated when Torrey Smith was still available for the 58th overall pick.

"We needed that vertical presence," Newsome said. "We saw what Mike Wallace did for Pittsburgh. We saw what Pat Johnson did for us during the run to the Super Bowl."

birtikidis
05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Raven looking for quick strike, find quick exit.

MaxAMillion
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Newsome is correct...the Steelers do have to find ways to keep beating the Ravens. There has been far too much focus on the Steelers struggles stopping Rodgers and not enough focus on the fact that the Steelers barely beat the Ravens. If not for the defense (which seems to get criticized by Steeler fans constantly) Pittsburgh would have lost to the Ravens in Baltimore and ended up as a wild card. We would not have made the Super Bowl without the defense.

I personally don't think we will beat the Ravens this year unless we figure out a way to move the ball against them. Pittsburgh seems to struggle run or pass blocking against the Ravens and that is a problem.

birtikidis
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree Max. that's why I wanted to address guard so bad in the draft. Our offense didn't show up against the *'s, GB, or NO.. but the defense is the only thing that gets criticized.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Go no huddle/shotgun, spread teams out with our stable of young stud WR instead of forcing the run. How do teams beat the Steelers? Why do the Patriots own us? Why did Green Bay beat us in the bowl? Did they establish the run?

Steelers>NFL
05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Go no huddle/shotgun, spread teams out with our stable of young stud WR instead of forcing the run. How do teams beat the Steelers? Why do the Patriots own us? Why did Green Bay beat us in the bowl? Did they establish the run?

That would require being smart or doing something that makes sense. But we know w/BA calling the shots, we will never have or gain neither.

Steelers>NFL
05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

That would require being smart or doing something that makes sense. But we know w/BA calling the shots, we will never have or gain neither.

steelcurtain44
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3n2vppg7]Go no huddle/shotgun, spread teams out with our stable of young stud WR instead of forcing the run. How do teams beat the Steelers? Why do the Patriots own us? Why did Green Bay beat us in the bowl? Did they establish the run?

That would require being smart or doing something that makes sense. But we know w/BA calling the shots, we will never have or gain neither.[/quote:3n2vppg7]

I thought BA passed too much? Remember when Ben has his greatest season as a QB and didn't make the playoffs? Funny how now there are posts to not run so much, and pass the ball. BA can't win either way.

YoungMoneyCrew
05-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Al Davis drafts really fast WR's all the time...hows that working out for them? Ravens fans act like this Smith kid is going to come in and light it up...I wouldn't hold my breath.

steelnavy
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I rhink it says a lot about the relationship between the two teams. As much as the organization runs its mouth about how their superiority to the Steelers (how even though they lose, that they are the better team), they are the ones that are making specific upgrades in order to beat the Steelers. While the Steelers make upgrades to compensate for general weaknesses, the Ravens concentrate on changes to try and beat the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2011, 03:23 PM
all the Ravens need to do is stop "giving" games away to the Steelers... :roll:

MARCH 11, 2011

Harbaugh: Ravens 'gave' two games to Steelers last season

Ravens coach John Harbaugh told fans on Wednesday that he thinks about beating the Pittsburgh Steelers “every single day, in all honesty.”

He also made another admission about the AFC North rival.

“I’ve said it before, and people in Pittsburgh got upset, but I feel like we gave them the game twice this year,” Harbaugh said this week. “We should have beaten them three times, and that’s on us. That’s our fault.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... eason.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/03/harbaugh_ravens_gave_two_games_to_steelers_last_se ason.html)

chiken
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Got to admire the persistence :tt2

Oviedo
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Let's be honest, with our secondary you really don't have to be quick strike because except for Ike they can't cover man to man. :stirpot

Dresden
05-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Newsome is correct...the Steelers do have to find ways to keep beating the Ravens. There has been far too much focus on the Steelers struggles stopping Rodgers and not enough focus on the fact that the Steelers barely beat the Ravens. If not for the defense (which seems to get criticized by Steeler fans constantly) Pittsburgh would have lost to the Ravens in Baltimore and ended up as a wild card. We would not have made the Super Bowl without the defense.

I personally don't think we will beat the Ravens this year unless we figure out a way to move the ball against them. Pittsburgh seems to struggle run or pass blocking against the Ravens and that is a problem.

Well said. Many pundits and some homer members of the Nation consider us a great playoff football team when in reality i think we are very suspect and just have been fortunate enough to keep drawing the Ravens as of late.

Let's face it,...they (and the Jets to a degree) are probably the only other quality team in the league that plays as "ugly and win by the skin of your teeth even though you've got a lights out pass rush and run d" brand of football as we do.

They (Ravens) are not a high powered passing team which usually beats us with relative ease because of Clark and our corners,...playing them is our kind of fight.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Steelers Still Have To Beat Ravens Too

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/05_Steelers_news.jpg

The Ravens know they have to defeat their AFC North enemies to reach their goal.

Posted by Mike Duffy on Thursday, May 5th, 2011

In a town-hall meeting between General Manager Ozzie Newsome and season-ticket holders on Wednesday night, one of the most popular topics was how the Ravens would defeat the hated Pittsburgh Steelers.

After fielding several questions regarding the Ravens’ AFC North rival, Newsome flipped the equation.

Yes, the Ravens need more explosive plays on offense, they need to corral elusive quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and they must protect their end zone.

At the end of the day, however, the Ravens are not backing down to the team that has ousted them from the playoffs in two of the last three years.

“Pittsburgh is going to have to find ways to beat us too,” said Newsome. ” I think we can get there with the quick strike. When you’re playing against Pittsburgh, at some point they have the ability to get you with the turnover.

“But if you can trump that by getting an easy score, like we almost did with a punt return, then it kind of balances your books.”

The Ravens defeated Pittsburgh last season in Week 4, but that was with Roethlisberger sidelined due to suspension and journeyman Charlie Batch under center.

After that, the Ravens succumbed to two heartbreakers, one of which ended the Ravens’ postseason hopes.

“When they find ways to get the easy touchdown against us, we have to find ways to get the easy touchdown against them in order to continue to compete with them and beat them,” said Newsome.

Newsome believes Baltimore can roll over that hump by executing more explosive plays on both offense and defense, and the Ravens took steps to remedy that situation last weekend by drafting shutdown cornerback Jimmy Smith and home-run-hitting wideout Torrey Smith.

“When Ben [Roethlisberger] likes to run around and take his time, hopefully he can be running around and Jimmy can get an interception and take that to the house,” explained Newsome.

As for Torrey Smith, Newsome added, “I think getting Torrey into the mix will allow us to get that quick strike.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/0 ... avens-too/ (http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/05/05/steelers-still-have-to-beat-ravens-too/)