PDA

View Full Version : fa wish list

steeler_george
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Now with the draft over, who does everyone want or think postion we will probably add.

Signing Ike is a give me. I would love if they can find guard, and maybe the end of days for Kemo?

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm not worried about outside free agents whatsoever. Our $$$ will be spend in house.

Sign Taylor. Extend Woodley's one year franchise tag to a long term deal.

Save the rest of our money to extend Polamalu and Timmons next year.

Depending on what the new CBA says about when players can be RFA's and UFA's, we may soon need to start paying Mike Wallace significantly more money than he is making in his rookie 3rd round pick contract as well.

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not worried about outside free agents whatsoever. Our $$$ will be spend in house.

Depending on what the new CBA says about when players can be RFA's and UFA's, we may soon need to start paying Mike Wallace significantly more money than he is making in his rookie 3rd round pick contract as well.

Yep!!!! That's about right.

Lebsteel
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Ruthless, dream a little, man....

Let Ike walk if he wants top 10 CB money (he is 31) and sign Asomugha (if he is only a few million more than Taylor). Hope Farrior and Smith either retire or dramatically restructure their contract. Sign a really good ILB...yea, you know who. Save money to sign Timmons and Polamalu next year.

OK, so not much change...but if I was a betting man, Ruthless, you are probably correct. Though, I think we occasionally NEED to make a FA splash (like we did with Farrior and Bettis). I think this year is one of those NEED years.

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Let Ike walk if he wants top 10 CB money (he is 31) and sign Asomugha (if he is only a few million more than Taylor). Hope Farrior and Smith either retire or dramatically restructure their contract. Sign a really good ILB...yea, you know who. Save money to sign Timmons and Polamalu next year.

OK, so not much change...but if I was a betting man, Ruthless, you are probably correct. Though, I think we can occasionally NEED to make a FA splash (like we did with Farrior and Bettis). I think this year is one of those NEED years.

You're missing the point. Signing Ike at top dollar or Asomugha "for a few million more" jeopordizes resigning Troy and Timmons and Woodley to a long term extension. All three are essential. Not worth it.

flippy
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Given the current state of the NFL, I'd go with what I've got for this year.

Next year I'd take a run at Charles Godfrey - S - Carolina and the following year Vontae Davis - CB - Miami.

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I love Nnamdi. He'd make the perfect Steeler, both on and off the field. Elite talent, comes from an incredibly smart family of doctors and lawyers, tons of charity work in the community, etc. Even though we rarely sign top notch outsiders (Bettis was a trade after the Rams drafted Lawrence Phillips in the first round, and Farrior was solid in New York, but not living up to his 8th overall billing...we happened to get him when his value was at a down turn, and he just so happened to fit better in our defense than the Jets...similar to how Jon Vilma fits in better with the Saints than the Jets), Asomugha's worthy of a big time free agent deal, and if there would ever be a slam-dunk no-risk all-reward type of guy that I would be willing to give big money to, that would be the guy.

I would happily pay him top dollar for a corner if Al Davis didn't exist. Unfortunately, Undead Al totally blew up the curve for CB's. He made the deal with Nnamdi that gave him top 5 QB money, not top 5 CB. Insane. Then he signed Nnamdi's replacement, Stanford #&@%ing Routt to a $10 million a year deal, even though Routt couldn't hold Asomugha's jock. Is it really worth paying a cornerback...A CORNERBACK?!?!...Peyton Manning/Tom Brady type of money? Would Nnamdi Asomugha be worth more money to us than Ben? Really???

If we let Ike walk and signed Nnamdi for "a few more million" then how exactly would that make our defense improve? Now, teams tend to throw away from Ike and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side. If we somehow got Asomugha, then teams would just throw away from Nnamdi and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side (that's why Asomugha doesn't have high totals for interceptions, passes defensed, or tackles...other teams can easily avoid him and pick on the other turdburglers...one of which is now making $10 mil per :HeadBanger ).

Our problem isn't with our #1 CB. It's with our #2 and #3 CB's. And we can't sign Ike and Nnamdi or Ike and Jonathan Joseph, or Nnamdi and Joseph, or whatever, unless you are prepared to sacrifice Polamalu (leaving an even greater hole at safety than we currently have at corner) or Timmons (with Farrior going into his late 30's, Timmons is a must sign in the middle) or Woodley (without a steady pass rush, your corners are dead meat no matter how good they are).

I'd love getting this guy, don't get me wrong. I'd celebrate it if it somehow came to fruition. But it's a pipe dream. All the teams who spend frivilously on free agents every d@mn year want this guy too.

Lebsteel
05-06-2011, 12:06 AM

OK, so not much change...but if I was a betting man, Ruthless, you are probably correct. Though, I think we can occasionally NEED to make a FA splash (like we did with Farrior and Bettis). I think this year is one of those NEED years.

You're missing the point. Signing Ike at top dollar or Asomugha "for a few million more" jeopordizes resigning Troy and Timmons and Woodley to a long term extension. All three are essential. Not worth it.

Not at all...sign Asomugha and not Ike. IF Farrior and Smith retire and then Ward retires next year, we would have enough money to sign Woodley, Timmons and Troy. However, I would definitely not pay Timmons an enormous contract. I doubt the Steelers willl either.

steelblood
05-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I love Nnamdi. He'd make the perfect Steeler, both on and off the field. Elite talent, comes from an incredibly smart family of doctors and lawyers, tons of charity work in the community, etc. Even though we rarely sign top notch outsiders (Bettis was a trade after the Rams drafted Lawrence Phillips in the first round, and Farrior was solid in New York, but not living up to his 8th overall billing...we happened to get him when his value was at a down turn, and he just so happened to fit better in our defense than the Jets...similar to how Jon Vilma fits in better with the Saints than the Jets), Asomugha's worthy of a big time free agent deal, and if there would ever be a slam-dunk no-risk all-reward type of guy that I would be willing to give big money to, that would be the guy.

I would happily pay him top dollar for a corner if Al Davis didn't exist. Unfortunately, Undead Al totally blew up the curve for CB's. He made the deal with Nnamdi that gave him top 5 QB money, not top 5 CB. Insane. Then he signed Nnamdi's replacement, Stanford #&@%ing Routt to a $10 million a year deal, even though Routt couldn't hold Asomugha's jock. Is it really worth paying a cornerback...A CORNERBACK?!?!...Peyton Manning/Tom Brady type of money? Would Nnamdi Asomugha be worth more money to us than Ben? Really???

If we let Ike walk and signed Nnamdi for "a few more million" then how exactly would that make our defense improve? Now, teams tend to throw away from Ike and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side. If we somehow got Asomugha, then teams would just throw away from Nnamdi and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side (that's why Asomugha doesn't have high totals for interceptions, passes defensed, or tackles...other teams can easily avoid him and pick on the other turdburglers...one of which is now making $10 mil per :HeadBanger ).

Our problem isn't with our #1 CB. It's with our #2 and #3 CB's. And we can't sign Ike and Nnamdi or Ike and Jonathan Joseph, or Nnamdi and Joseph, or whatever, unless you are prepared to sacrifice Polamalu (leaving an even greater hole at safety than we currently have at corner) or Timmons (with Farrior going into his late 30's, Timmons is a must sign in the middle) or Woodley (without a steady pass rush, your corners are dead meat no matter how good they are).

I'd love getting this guy, don't get me wrong. I'd celebrate it if it somehow came to fruition. But it's a pipe dream. All the teams who spend frivilously on free agents every d@mn year want this guy too.

I've seen a few rumors that Nnamdi wants to play for a winner. If this is so, he should be willing to be reasonable on his contract. 11-12 million per may do it. If this is so, we must make a run.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd love to see Asomugha in Black and Gold. But the Steelers wouldn't even lock up Ike last year when they had the chance. They're not going to spend the $$$ it would take to get Asomugha. As the OP said, "pipe dream."

Let's face it, they just don't look at CB as a priority.

Doogie36
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
What??? no more talk about getting a WR??? Come on!!! LOL
:stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I've seen a few rumors that Nnamdi wants to play for a winner. If this is so, he should be willing to be reasonable on his contract. 11-12 million per may do it. If this is so, we must make a run.

There are other winning teams that are interested in him (for instance, across the state in Philadelphia), who would be willing to pay out the nose for his services.

papillon
05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
The Steelers need to upgrade cornerbacks 2 through 4 not their number 1 cornerback. They gain very little by letting Ike walk and signing Nnamdi. Teams would simply avoid him like the plague and attack the other side of the field. Of course, reducing the amount of grass that Clark has to cover as a FS would be a trmendous help, but he's probably already not really worrying about Ike's side of the field.

I'd love Nnamdi to be a Steeler, but I just don't see enough benefit as a team to make the deal.

Pappy

SteelerNation1
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
There is a 0% chance we even contact nmandi's agent. Don't even waste time thinking about it.

Lebsteel
05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
There is a 0% chance we even contact nmandi's agent. Don't even waste time thinking about it.
OK, maybe Nnamdi's agent? :wink:

I know, you are guys are looking at it through Steeler goggles, which is very realistic and probably 99.9% the way it is going to happen. I just think sometimes you need to think "outside of the box." I encourage you to THINK, no wait don't do that. Just kidding. I totally understand that we need to fix CBs 2-4 and not necessarily 1. But when the ball does get thrown towards #1, it would be nice to have #1 actually be able to catch the ball. Plus, I think Nnamdi is significantly better than Ike AND he is younger.

Oviedo
05-06-2011, 04:11 PM
The Steelers need to upgrade cornerbacks 2 through 4 not their number 1 cornerback. They gain very little by letting Ike walk and signing Nnamdi. Teams would simply avoid him like the plague and attack the other side of the field. Of course, reducing the amount of grass that Clark has to cover as a FS would be a trmendous help, but he's probably already not really worrying about Ike's side of the field.

I'd love Nnamdi to be a Steeler, but I just don't see enough benefit as a team to make the deal.

Pappy

I couldn't agree more. The issue is who is playing opposite Ike not replacing Ike.

Let's not forget too that Clark is not a good cover FS which also causes problems in the secondary and just magifies the bad coverage we tend to put out there if we can't get to the passer.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I encourage you to THINK

are you actually Rashard Mendenhall? :D

Dresden
05-06-2011, 04:54 PM

I'd take Nnamdi, start brown opposite of him, extend Wood and Troy,.. and let Timmons walk.

Even with teams trying to avoid Nnamdi, IMO he would still average more picks in a season than IKE when you consider how often he (Ike) drops a pick when given opportunities and or is not aware enough to make a play for the ball.

And as i have stated before,.... i believe that Brown will be a superior corner in comparison to all that we have had since Coach Cowher and Donahoe let Rod walk. Having Nnamdi will simply speed this process up by allowing him to become truly battle tested sooner rather than later.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd take Nnamdi, start brown opposite of him, extend Wood and Troy,.. and let Timmons walk.

Even with teams trying to avoid Nnamdi, IMO he would still average more picks in a season than IKE when you consider how often he (Ike) drops a pick when given opportunities and or is not aware enough to make a play for the ball.

And as i have stated before,.... i believe that Brown will be a superior corner in comparison to all that we have had since Coach Cowher and Donahoe let Rod walk. Having Nnamdi will simply speed this process up by allowing him to become truly battle tested sooner rather than later.

Ike and Nnamdi have been in the league for the same amount of time (both entered the league in 2003...Asomugha in round 1 and Taylor in round 4). Nnamdi had no interceptions in his first 3 seasons, then burst out for 8 interceptions in 2006, then 1 interception each in 2007-2009, and none last year. Ike had 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2. They both have 11 career interceptions.

JPbucco
05-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Philly is my bet as the landing place for Asomugah.

A better bet for us would be Jonathan Joseph from Cincy.

He's 4 years younger than Ike and had a nice 2010.

Dresden
05-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Ike and Nnamdi have been in the league for the same amount of time (both entered the league in 2003...Asomugha in round 1 and Taylor in round 4). Nnamdi had no interceptions in his first 3 seasons, then burst out for 8 interceptions in 2006, then 1 interception each in 2007-2009, and none last year. Ike had 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2. They both have 11 career interceptions.

I am speaking in terms of their CURRENT skill level or lack thereof. Ike remains an exceptional athlete whom can run with nearly anyone and has almost freakish strength for a corner. However, Nnnamdi is simply more fluid and aware in coverage with better hands.

Therefore i believe that with the pressure we can normally generate up front, along with the fact the QB's must be aware of where Troy is at all times will force them into throws that will result in Nnnamdi getting more picks as a Steeler than he ever possibly could have in Oakland. They have not had a very disruptive front seven for the vast majority of his career there.

Lebsteel
05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I encourage you to THINK

are you actually Rashard Mendenhall? :D
Very good, you caught my attempt at humor! :)

anger 82&95
05-07-2011, 08:57 AM

I would happily pay him top dollar for a corner if Al Davis didn't exist. Unfortunately, Undead Al totally blew up the curve for CB's. He made the deal with Nnamdi that gave him top 5 QB money, not top 5 CB. Insane. Then he signed Nnamdi's replacement, Stanford #&@%ing Routt to a $10 million a year deal, even though Routt couldn't hold Asomugha's jock. Is it really worth paying a cornerback...A CORNERBACK?!?!...Peyton Manning/Tom Brady type of money? Would Nnamdi Asomugha be worth more money to us than Ben? Really??? If we let Ike walk and signed Nnamdi for "a few more million" then how exactly would that make our defense improve? Now, teams tend to throw away from Ike and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side. If we somehow got Asomugha, then teams would just throw away from Nnamdi and throw toward BMac, Gay, or whatever other turdburgler we put out there opposite side (that's why Asomugha doesn't have high totals for interceptions, passes defensed, or tackles...other teams can easily avoid him and pick on the other turdburglers...one of which is now making $10 mil per :HeadBanger ).

It really sucks doesn’t it…? In all the B grade zombie movies the undead skulk around eating brains; they certainly aren’t handed the reins to a NFL team and a big azz check book.

Dresden
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Another thought,...could we not also have Roethlisberger and Mendenhall restructure their contracts as Ike did at one point (along with letting Timmons walk) to free up the capital to sign Nnamdi and extend Troy and Wood ?

Oviedo
05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Another thought,...could we not also have Roethlisberger and Mendenhall restructure their contracts as Ike did at one point (along with letting Timmons walk) to free up the capital to sign Nnamdi and extend Troy and Wood ?

Why in the hell would they let Timmons walk when he is just 25 years old and becoming one of the best LBs in the league? He can play inside and outside and no one on the team except for Troy has his explosiveness on the field and the ability to close on a ball carrier like he can. You would let Timmons walk and keep Harrison who is 34 years old and has had two back procedures in the past 6 months.

You get rid of James Farrior, Caesey Hampton, and Aaron Smith before you even consider letting Timmons go. That is a ridiculous idea and thank you for not running the Steelers.

Dresden
05-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Why in the hell would they let Timmons walk when he is just 25 years old and becoming one of the best LBs in the league? He can play inside and outside and no one on the team except for Troy has his explosiveness on the field and the ability to close on a ball carrier like he can. You would let Timmons walk and keep Harrison who is 34 years old and has had two back procedures in the past 6 months. That is a ridiculous idea and thank you for not running the Steelers.

Why ? you ask. Because IMO Timmons though not exactly a liability is also not exactly anything more than the kind of player that a team could acquire in the late first to possibly the third round of any draft in terms of productivity.

You may feel as though he is on the same level as players of the caliber of Troy (or even Wood for that matter) however, i see only a solid 'contributor' type player. One Whom some fans would desperately like to be more for varying reasons.

And it just might stand to reason that his career numbers and the lack of him ever being selected to a Pro Bowl support my line of thinking more so than that which states "He is one of the best in the game" !

I'm just saying,...we were on the subject of Nnamdi and the capital we would have to come up with to make things happen in terms of him becoming a Steeler. And i think the money we would spend on trying to keep Timmons would be better served going to the cause of having a quality secondary.

Let's face it,..simply "solid" linebackers especially Inside or Mike backers are a dime a dozen and the league is increasingly becoming more pass happy. Ie: we may have seen the last of the days when ANY team with a bum secondary can become champions. Not matter how exceptional your pass rush is,......

birtikidis
05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Considering Farrior and Footes age, and sly's lack of playing experience, letting Timmons walk would be foolhardy.

Dresden
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Considering Farrior and Footes age, and sly's lack of playing experience, letting Timmons walk would be foolhardy.

It could be viewed that way from one perspective dude. Or,.. it could be viewed as a wise decision if one thinks of tying up such a great amount of money at the LB position, (Silverback and Wood along with Timmons) when Timmons is not even a better backer than Potsie whom by football standards should be ready for a walker, a bowl of oatmeal with dones crushed up in it and a glass of geritol.

birtikidis
05-07-2011, 07:34 PM

It could be viewed that way from one perspective dude. Or,.. it could be viewed as a wise decision if one thinks of tying up such a great amount of money at the LB position, (Silverback and Wood along with Timmons) when Timmons is not even a better backer than Potsie whom by football standards should be ready for a walker, a bowl of oatmeal with dones crushed up in it and a glass of geritol.
yea, but LB'er is the backbone of a 3-4. and at 33 Jimmy Hate doesn't have much tread left on the tires, especially when you consider he's had 2 back surgeries. Timmons and Wood will make a bunch of money and when Harrison walks away we'll have either a 2nd rounder or a 5th rounder starting at ROLB.

Dresden
05-07-2011, 07:58 PM

yea, but LB'er is the backbone of a 3-4. and at 33 Jimmy Hate doesn't have much tread left on the tires, especially when you consider he's had 2 back surgeries. Timmons and Wood will make a bunch of money and when Harrison walks away we'll have either a 2nd rounder or a 5th rounder starting at ROLB.

Touche'. And i could live with that with Timmons outside with Wood. But then what do you do with the Jason Worilds type project outside guys ? Do you attempt to force them inside like Timmons ?

birtikidis
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Touche'. And i could live with that with Timmons outside with Wood. But then what do you do with the Jason Worilds type project outside guys ? Do you attempt to force them inside like Timmons ?
Well, either Worilds (2nd rounder) or our new 5th rounder take over. I doubt either would be ready right away anyway. Having Sly and Timmons inside with Wood on the other side, though not ideal, would be a decent set of linebackers. I don't know how good Sly will be. I mean, if you really think about it.. we have 2 first round picks in the middle and a 2nd rounder on the left. So there definitely is some talent there right now. IMO Timmons is a carbon copy of Farrior and will move over when James retires. but there is definitely potential with our linebackers particularly because of the depth and talent at DE now that we drafted Heyward. The guy I'm afraid of losing is Wood.

flippy
05-07-2011, 08:59 PM
the thing that seals how special timmons is to this team is when I saw him blow by troy to make a tackle on a ball carrier one of the first times i saw him play live.

timmons is faster than troy over 5-15 yards. he has a better burst. i don't think there's a player i've seen close on a ball carrier as fast as timmons does.

i think its a shame we put him inside. if he was coming off the edge, he'd be an absolute nightmare for opposing QBs and offenses. he'd change the complete dynamic of the pressure we generate because there would be no choice but to double team him.

NJ-STEELER
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
timmons has come in from the outside. he has a harder time with a RB back there for pick up then james and woodley do. raven game winning TD at heinz for example

maybe thats something he can learn to do better, but i wouldnt trust him on the outside of 3-4 yet especially against the run. he struggles on the inside when a blocker gets his hands on him. the LTs in the league would smother him