PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mundy

Chadman
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Ok guys- what's our opinion of Mundy?

Is he a future starter at FS?

Guys that saw him at college- is he a playmaker?

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I thought Mundy was adequate at safety and I would keep him over Will Allen.

is Mundy a future starter? probably not, but he seems like a decent enough backup and special teams performer.

sentinel33
05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I think 3 years is enough time to gauge a player.

The organization should start lookin elsewhere.

Steelerphile
05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
He looked better last year. He was more comfortable in the system and was playing faster. He is not an outstanding talent but he has some ability. He is heady player, aced the wonderlic. I think he will stick on the roster and continue to get playing time and may eventually become a steady but unspectacular starter type.

Dresden
05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
For lack of a more long winded answer that would basically just be a counter productive attempt to make the same point. Mundy,...younger, stronger, faster more athletic "just a guy" player. Ryan Clark,...slower, older, smaller, less athletic "just a guy" player. And both have a grasp of the playbook. (scheme) The math is not calculus here IMO.

flippy
05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I may be in the minority but I like Mundy. He's good on special teams and he can back up both safety positions. And he's played decent when given a chance.

Not bad progression for a 6th round pick with entrenched starters in front of him on the depth chart.

I think he could be a quality starter if given some playing time, but I don't see how he gets time unless Troy or Clark get hurt for a significant time.

As a young smart kid, he may have a legit shot to compete for a job elsewhere. But for us, he may just be a career backup and STer.

birtikidis
05-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I really think it comes down to recognition and knowing the system. He seems to hesitate just a little and that tells me he's not completely comfortable yet. Ryan may not be the most athletic guy on the field, but he may be one of the smartest. IMO that is the most important trait for that position in DL's defense. Not saying Mundy doesn't have it, just that he hasn't reached that level of comfort yet.

Chadman
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Ryan Clark is getting into the area where age/production/contract value needs to start to come into play.

Chadman only really brings Mundy up becase the Steelers did not look at Safeties in the draft, and because Mundy's scouting write-up seemed to not quite fit what Chadman has seen on the field- an athletic, smart playmaker.

However, it could be that Chadman has just been missing something with Mundy & he might very well be the Heir Apparent to Ryan Clark after all.

Jooser
05-05-2011, 07:01 AM
I thought Mundy was a great player while at WVU. He was a semi-ballhawk and a solid tackler. He may come around, there's still time for him to develop a bit more.

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 08:18 AM
I think 3 years is enough time to gauge a player.

The organization should start lookin elsewhere.

I agree. I've been hoping Mundy could take the next step and push Clark but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Need to look for a legitimate FS replacement.

steelblood
05-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Mundy is a mid-late round guy who has performed as expected. He does not have top athleticism, but he has a grasp of the playbook and has earned the coaches trust. He made a few nice plays in coverage last season, but still seems often to be a step late. He is not the playmaking FS we all dream of. But, he is adequate. We will go into the season with Troy and Clark as the starters. Mundy and Allen will back up. Keenan Lewis will likely get a longer look at FS in training camp (if there is a training camp). I still think starting FS is a need long term on this team.

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I wonder if Ike Taylor is resigned the long term plan would be to see him move to FS as he got older much like Rod Woodson did later in his career. It would make a long term contract more sensible for him if he could make that transition.

flippy
05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Ike is built to play safety. He's got size, speed, and can tackle. But the problem is he can't play the ball in the air.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
The reason there is still so much confusion about Mundy is because he hasn't seen much playing time. Without experience you can't master free safety. Because Chris Hope and subsequently Ryan Clark have both been smart players, it's very difficult to un-seed them. Mundy certainly hasn't shown the "eye popping talent" necessary to take over the starter role. My guess is we will keep him as a solid back up and look for a star prospect in the 2013 draft (1-2 round).

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
After 2 seasons of not being able to unseat Tyrone Carter as a primary backup option at safety, I pretty much wrote Mundy off and was glad that we signed Will Allen to be a better backup option for both safety positions. However, Will Allen was not what I thought he would be when we signed him (pretty much only a special teams player, and not a special one at that), while Mundy was able to fill in reasonably well at both safety spots. I don't foresee him with starting potential in our defense, but I think he is a solid backup. I think our upgrade at FS will come with an early pick in one of the next 2 drafts.