PDA

View Full Version : With the 32nd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Steelers select

Dee Dub
05-04-2011, 05:44 PM
.....Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State

Ok here we go. I am on record. :P

1-Vontaze Burfict ILB ASU
2-Juron Criner WR Arizona
3-Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
4-Robert Lester FS Alabama
5-Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa State
6-Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette
7-Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 08:34 PM
.....Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State

Ok here we go. I am on record. :P

1-Vontaze Burfict ILB ASU
2-Juron Criner WR Arizona
3-Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
4-Robert Lester FS Alabama
5-Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa State
6-Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette
7-Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy

Vontaze (cool name, though) doesn't seem like a Steelers' kind of player...

Vontaze Burfict headed to bench

October, 6, 2010

By Ted Miller

If you love football, you love great linebacker play. So it's hard not to love what Arizona State's Vontaze Burfict can do.

He's one of the most talented linebackers in the nation. His physical skills and instincts suggest the true sophomore is a future first-round NFL draft pick. Just go to YouTube and look up some of his highlights.

But now he's headed to the bench for Saturday's game at Washington. Not because of his play but because of how he conducts himself on the field, which is consistently bad.

He's been flagged for numerous personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in his one-plus year as a starter. Almost all of them fall into the "what-is-he-thinking?" category.

The latest, which inspired coach Dennis Erickson to bench Burfict in favor of senior senior Gerald Munns, who's pretty darn good anyway, is the pointless headbutt Burfict delivered to Oregon State quarterback Ryan Katz last Saturday during the Sun Devils 31-28 loss.

What best tells the story is seeing Sun Devils linebackers coach Trent Bray ask Burfict through a baffled, angry expression, "Why did you do that?"

That's the million dollar question -- as in, I wish the NFL would mail me the money Burfict is losing with his behavior.

"This has totally to do with Arizona State and our football program and Vontaze," Erickson told The Arizona Republic. "I want him to be the best he can be, and if he learns from this he'll be the best he can be. He's got that issue, and he's going to overcome it and be a successful player here. At this point, if he does that he just can't play."

Burfict almost never talks to the media. The official explanation for this is he doesn't like to do interviews and that he's shy. The unofficial word is that Burfict needs to be protected.

Before benching Burfict, Erickson said on Monday that opponents were "baiting" Burfict. What Erickson's move on Tuesday shows is a realization that Burfict isn't 10-years-old.

Trash-talking -- baiting -- is a part of a physical, emotional game. Burfict needs to grow up. Either that, or he needs to drop this loony persona he's adopting because he believes for some reason -- bad advice from outside the team? -- that it creates an attention-getting aura that might in some through-the-looking-glass way help him professionally.

Vontaze, the NFL is a business of winning. The demented gladiator routine is not a part of the process.

Make the play. Share a howl with your teammates. Then shut up and get back in the huddle.

If you do that, you will become an All-American, first-round NFL draft pick and receive all the benefits that includes.

If you don't, five years from now, you'll be showing YouTube clips to your buddies telling them how good you used to be.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... d-to-bench (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/29068/vontaze-burfict-headed-to-bench)

birtikidis
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I could see ILB.
I wish we coulda snagged a nose tackle later in this past draft. Those guys are getting long in the tooth. I think we'll have to look at someone next year.
I haven't even started thinking about the next draft cause who knows what it'll look like.

winwithd
05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a Raven to me. He might be the successor to Ray Ray. And we know the Ravens will be drafting ahead of us, so we would have to trade up to get him anyway.

Shawn
05-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I hate this mock...only because there are no Buckeyes. Very whack of you. :D

NJ-STEELER
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
stevie sly will be starting next year along side timmons

no need for a #1 pick at that psoition

focosteeler
05-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Nice! :Cheers

personally im hoping for a NT in the first two rounds, overall hoping for something like this...

1 NT/S
2 CB/NT/S
3 WR/TE/DB
4 QB
5 K
6 LB/TE
7 BPA

StarSpangledSteeler
05-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Here is how our needs should look next year:

top priority: NT, ILB, CB (any order, which ever BPA slips)

looking to upgrade: OT, FS, OG, TE

back up/future developmental: WR, SS

steelblood
05-05-2011, 07:46 AM
The NT class next season isn't deep at all. The ILB class is great.

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I could see ILB.
I wish we coulda snagged a nose tackle later in this past draft. Those guys are getting long in the tooth. I think we'll have to look at someone next year.
I haven't even started thinking about the next draft cause who knows what it'll look like.

I bet we get a NT sometime in the first three round next year along with an OT.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
The NT class next season isn't deep at all. The ILB class is great.

A lot of people wanted us to draft this guy:

Ian Williams
Ian Williams

Player Profile
Hometown:
Altamonte Springs, FL
High School:
Lyman
Height / Weight:
6-2 / 305

Position:
Nose Guard
Birthdate:
08/31/1989

CAREER: Strong and powerful anchor to Notre Dame's defensive line opens fall competing for starting nose guard position ... one of only two members of his recruiting class still on roster to have appeared in every game of his Notre Dame career (Kerry Neal is the other; Golden Tate also had accomplished this feat through three seasons) ... has started 17 of 37 games played and totaled 124 tackles, nine and a half tackles for loss, one interception and one pass breakup in his career ... only four other defensive players have started more contests at Notre Dame.

2009 (JUNIOR): Nose tackle played in all 12 games, starting eight contests ... did not start against Purdue, Washington, Washington State and Connecticut ... ranked seventh on team and second on defensive line with 39 tackles as his six tackles for loss were fifth most on squad ... added first career interception and one pass breakup ... recorded three tackles including one tackle for loss against Michigan State and totaled another tackle for loss as part of two-tackle performance at Purdue ... credited with seven tackles against Boston College ... registered first career interception against Washington State and also tallied tackle for loss against Cougars ... made season-high eight tackles with one tackle for loss against Navy ... totaled three tackles and one tackle for loss in home finale against Connecticut ... recorded three tackles, one tackle for loss and one pass breakup in season finale at Stanford ... logged 204:27 of playing time and made 38 special-teams appearances for the Irish.

2008 (SOPHOMORE): Played in all 13 games for the Irish, including seven starts (against Michigan State, Stanford, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Navy, Syracuse, and USC) ... totaled 40 tackles, including two tackles for a loss ... also added a pass breakup ... registered a then-season-high six tackles (solo, five assists) vs. Michigan State ... made his third career start against the Spartans ... anchored the Irish defense against Pittsburgh, earning his sixth career start and amassing a then season-high tying six tackles (five solo; assist) and two tackles for loss against the Panthers ... had another huge game against Navy, amassing a then season-high seven tackles (four solo; three assist) and helping hold Navy to just one third down conversion ... the start was the seventh of his career ... led the Irish in tackles with eight (all assists) against Syracuse in the home finale ... made his seventh start of the season (ninth of career) and tallied three tackles (two solo; assist) vs. USC ... added a pass breakup in regular season finale vs. the Trojans.

2007 (FRESHMAN): Appeared in all 12 games - one of just four freshmen to do that - and started the final two games of the season (Duke and Stanford) ... ranked sixth on the team and second on the defensive line in tackles though he came off of the bench most of the year ... totaled 45 tackles with 19 solo stops and 1.5 tackles for loss ... recorded the third most tackles by a freshman defensive lineman in school history (Ross Browner, 68 in '73; Steve Niehaus, 47 in '72) ... made his Irish debut vs. Georgia Tech and recorded three tackles ... notched three tackles and 0.5 tackle for loss at Penn State ... tallied season-best four solo tackles at Michigan ... registered three tackles vs. Boston College ... established career best with 11 tackles vs. Navy ... recorded six tackles including one tackle for loss vs. Air Force ... made his first career start vs. Duke and tallied three tackles ... started at Stanford and was credited with six tackles ... logged 125:25 of playing time and made 22 special-teams appearances.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: Rated 120th prep player nationally on ESPN 150 listing ... named to Florida Class 5A first-team all-state unit for 2006 as offensive lineman, as selected by Florida Sports Writers Association ... all-Central Florida first team as defensive lineman by Orlando Sentinel ... also a first-team defensive lineman on all-Seminole County team selected by the Sentinel ... rated 30th on list of top 50 Florida prospects at end of `06 by South Florida Sun-Sentinel ... listed 20th nationally among defensive tackles by CSTV ... had more than 40 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and 12 sacks as senior interior defensive lineman at Lyman High School in Longwood, Fla. ... three-year starter at that spot ... made 83 tackles as junior in `05, 23 tackles for loss, 12 hurries, four forced fumbles, two sacks, four fumble recoveries and four passes broken up ... helped Greyhounds to 8-3 mark in `05 and third straight district title as Lyman defeated Melbourne for first Florida playoff win in school history ... first-team Florida Class 5A all-state pick by FSWA as junior on defensive line in 2005 ... rated 95th best Southeast prospect on 2006 preseason basis by The Sporting News SchoolSports ... helped North team to 16-3 victory in December 2006 Florida North-South all-star game ... also competed in track ... played for Lyman coach Bill Caughell ... born Aug. 31, 1989 ... son of Natalie Williams ... enrolled in College of Arts and Letters, majoring in film, television and theatre.

flippy
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I have no idea who we're gonna draft, but I'd like to get Jeff Demps @ some point in the draft. Al Davis may try to take him in the first round though.

Dee Dub
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
...Vontaze (cool name, though) doesn't seem like a Steelers' kind of player...

Are you kidding me? He is everything that James Harrison is but bigger and nastier. He just wants to hurt people on the football field. And if you talk trash to him...well...he's gonna bust you in chin strap.

And this aint any different than Ole number 58.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Are you kidding me? He is everything that James Harrison is but bigger and nastier. He just wants to hurt people on the football field. And if you talk trash to him...well...he's gonna bust you in chin strap.

no, I'm not kidding you...would I kid about something as serious as this?

but seriously, his own coach benched him for making bone-headed plays over and over again and for running his mouth too much. sounds like Vontaze likes to bring attention onto himself, even when it's at the expense of his own team.

no thanks, sounds like he would make a good Bengals player though...

Dee Dub
05-05-2011, 05:18 PM

no, I'm not kidding you...would I kid about something as serious as this?

but seriously, his own coach benched him for making bone-headed plays over and over again and for running his mouth too much. sounds like Vontaze likes to bring attention onto himself, even when it's at the expense of his own team.

no thanks, sounds like he would make a good Bengals player though...

But that was in October. I can tell you turned it around after that. Coach Erickson got his attention. He’s young and made some stupid mistakes..but these were on the field mistakes. Not off it. Trust me when I say this…you watch him play for 5 minutes and you will be amazed.

And the head butt thing?? Come on Ike Taylor did that to Douchmenzadeh. Did it change your perception of him?

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
He’s young and made some stupid mistakes..but these were on the field mistakes. Not off it. Trust me when I say this…you watch him play for 5 minutes and you will be amazed.

sounds like he had an attitude problem to me, sulking on the bench and only thinking about yourself is not how you get drafted by the Steelers. maybe he has turned it around, but he just doesn't seem like a Steelers kind of player to me.

Arizona State Football: When Will Vontaze Burfict Grow Up?

By Wes Freas (Contributor) on September 13, 2010 959

Another game into talented Sun Devil linebacker Vontaze Burfict's career, another set of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one that led to a Northern Arizona score that needlessly tightened up a sloppily played game last Saturday in Tempe. This makes three late hits in two games on top of a slew of them during his freshman campaign, not to mention a phantom punch against a U of A player that made headlines on YouTube after last year's matchup.

In Week 1 vs. lowly Portland St., he sat much of the game and finished with just two tackles. He was seen sitting alone on the bench in full "woe is me" mode and sulking instead of being active with the other defensive reserves supporting their teammates.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4609 ... ct-grow-up (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/460945-arizona-state-football-when-will-vontaze-burfict-grow-up)

StarSpangledSteeler
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Kemoeautu had the whole head stomping incident in college and look how he turned out... Oh, wait...