PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Steelers must realize Taylor's value

SteelCrazy
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
The Steelers want their cornerbacks to play like Ike Taylor, look like Ike Taylor and run like Ike Taylor.

That's obviously what coach Mike Tomlin had in mind when he said new cornerback Cortez Allen, a fourth-round draft pick from The Citadel, is a "height, weight and speed prospect along the lines of Ike Taylor physically."

Tomlin stretched the truth, but it made for a good sound bite.

Immediately after cornerback Keenan Lewis was drafted in the third round two years ago, former secondary coach Ray Horton parroted Tomlin's words: "You would probably compare him to another Ike Taylor."

If only the Steelers' other cornerbacks performed like Taylor.

Lewis is close to being considered a bust.

Unless the Steelers acquire another cornerback who runs a 4.17 in the 40 as Taylor did at his pro day, never misses a game because of injury and starts in three Super Bowls in six years, their fruitless search for his successor will continue.

Allen and third-rounder Curtis Brown of Texas ran in the 4.5 range in the 40 at the NFL Combine. That's not quite Taylor speed.

If an appeals court in St. Louis rules in favor of NFL players, Taylor could become a free agent as early as this week.

So, why are the Steelers searching for an imitation of Taylor when they have the original?

Instead of re-signing Taylor last offseason as the team normally does with key players entering the final year of their contract, the Steelers gambled.

Big mistake.

By allowing Taylor to become an unrestricted free agent, the Steelers must bid against other suitors and meet Taylor's price -- bad business for an organization that prides itself on calling the shots.

Potential Taylor suitors Carolina, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, Philadelphia, St. Louis and the New York Jets didn't draft a cornerback in the first round.

That's telling, according to new Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake, who called Taylor "one of the more underrated cornerbacks in the league. I hope we get him signed."

Lake said the lack of NFL-ready cornerbacks in the draft didn't help the Steelers in their search for Taylor's potential replacement. The Steelers selected cornerbacks in the third and fourth rounds.

"At the very elite level of cornerbacks, the talent was even shallower," Lake said. "As you got in the second and third round, you saw teams really go after corners, especially in the third round. That's where people saw the most depth at the position."

The Steelers are in a bind. They have to re-sign Taylor, even if it means overpaying him. They wouldn't have had to overpay if they had re-signed him a year ago.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert discussed the state of Steelers cornerbacks without Taylor:

"It's an unknown. A lot of guys haven't played a lot. You can look at it either way. Will they or will they not produce once given the opportunity? You feel good about the potential. But that's the same thing we're taking about with any draft pick. We're not going to know until they get extensive playing time. If a kid hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself, we're just guessing."

Makes you wonder who are the real stars on the team. If Taylor is so important to the defense, why did the Steelers permit him to become a free agent?

"A lot of teams realize if you prevent the receiver from catching the ball, you don't have to worry about interceptions," said Dave-Te' Thomas of Scouting Services Inc., which produces the NFL Draft Report for 27 of the 32 teams. "But you do need that one big playmaker back there. When Troy Polamalu got hurt last year, they had Taylor but they didn't have anyone on the other side. It put more pressure on Taylor because the other cornerback wasn't covering his assignment the way he should. At least a third of Taylor's plays were out of his territory."

The Steelers are built for the next two seasons. Their future is now.

As key players such as James Farrior (36), Hines Ward (35), Aaron Smith (35), Casey Hampton (33), James Harrison (32), Brett Keisel (32), Ryan Clark (31) and Polamalu (30) are phased out, they will take the heart of the team with them.

If No. 24 leaves, the Steelers' rebuilding process could begin sooner than anyone thinks.

Even with the next Ike Taylor on the roster.

Read more: Harris: Steelers must realize Taylor's value - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1LOxvqDxI (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_735090.html#ixzz1LOxvqDxI)

Oviedo
05-04-2011, 12:37 PM
The Steelers have never given a single indication that it is not their desire to resign Taylor. Any suggestion of that kind is plain stupidity and just trying to stir the pot. The only issue is, as in all these cases, what is reasonable. Because other owners are unreasonable doesn't mean the Rooney's need to be too.

Ike is realistically worth about $8M per year. If he wants $10+ then I wish him well in the future somewhere else. We not only have Ike to resign but Troy and Timmons next season. We can't be stupid and LeBeau may actually have to play a young player.

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
The Steelers have never given a single indication that it is not their desire to resign Taylor. Any suggestion of that kind is plain stupidity and just trying to stir the pot. The only issue is, as in all these cases, what is reasonable. Because other owners are unreasonable doesn't mean the Rooney's need to be too.

Ike is realistically worth about $8M per year. If he wants $10+ then I wish him well in the future somewhere else. We not only have Ike to resign but Troy and Timmons next season. We can't be stupid and LeBeau may actually have to play a young player.

Harris must get a kick back for these Ike stories...

I think the Steelers know what Ike's value is.

Shawn
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM

When lesser DBs are signing for 10M per season, I would think Taylors market is closer to 11-12M/season. 8M per would be quite a "bargain", and I believe it's where the Steelers will be offering a contract. The question is this, Taylor knows this is his last large contract. So, what is more important to him? 10-15M additional dollars over the course of the next 5 seasons? Or winning and staying with an organization he loves? Tough call. I know most players would grab the cash and laugh all the way to the bank. Taylor seems to be a bit of a different breed. I think he would take less money to stay, but 10-15 million less? Not so sure.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
LeBeau may actually have to play a young player.

that will happen about the same time that:

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2009/11/hell.jpg

SteelCrazy
05-04-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm not so sure because when the Steelers are serious about signing someone they do it with 1-2 years left on the current contract. Maybe they just didnt have the room after signing Hampton, Clark, and Foote.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm not so sure because when the Steelers are serious about signing someone they do it with 1-2 years left on the current contract. Maybe they just didnt have the room after signing Hampton, Clark, and Foote.

the New York Jets would have been a better fit for Larry Foote...

http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot-fetish.jpghttp://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/files/2010/12/rex-ryan-toes.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 03:08 PM

They normally do that, yes. But in this case, they did not know what the stipulations of the new CBA would be. What percentage of the total revenues would go to the players? Would it be more beneficial in this new environment to front load or back load a contract? Hell, we didn't even know if there would be a salary cap moving forward...that's how much of a mess this lockout deal has been. You don't want to be negotiating long-term big money deals in such uncertainty. Some teams do (like the dumb@$$ Raiders who gave $10 million a year to Stanford #&@%ing Routt) but most teams have more fiscal sense than Undead Al. As soon as we know what the financial landscape of the NFL will look like moving forward, at that point we can determine what the best offer to a player like Ike might be.

flippy
05-04-2011, 03:13 PM
There's not a big difference between a $40-$50M contract for a player.

If you're happy, you just take the $40M and try to position yourself to get as much more as possible.

Ike's probably ready to take the $40, but his agent's trying to get him a little extra. Nothing more or less going on here.

SteelCrazy
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM

They normally do that, yes. But in this case, they did not know what the stipulations of the new CBA would be. What percentage of the total revenues would go to the players? Would it be more beneficial in this new environment to front load or back load a contract? Hell, we didn't even know if there would be a salary cap moving forward...that's how much of a mess this lockout deal has been. You don't want to be negotiating long-term big money deals in such uncertainty. Some teams do (like the dumb@$$ Raiders who gave $10 million a year to Stanford #&@%ing Routt) but most teams have more fiscal sense than Undead Al. As soon as we know what the financial landscape of the NFL will look like moving forward, at that point we can determine what the best offer to a player like Ike might be.

That could be right, but since I didnt think of that, it's probably wrong. Good educated guess though.... :lol:

Oviedo
05-04-2011, 03:51 PM

I'd be OK saying goodbye to Clark and Foote in order to keep Taylor. Farrior too!!!! Aaron Smith too!!!!

steelblood
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Look, we have one huge advantage here. Ike wants to play here. All we have to do is offer fair money. 9-10.5 mil per year for 4-5 years will do it. As long as the bonus isn't crazy, we can cut him when he loses his speed or renegotiate. I'm sure that we never offered him anything close to 10 mil per yet. But, we'll have to if the STeelers want to be competitive this season.

And Ike didn't run a 4.17. Come on. Maybe one stopwatch read that, but no way it was accurate. Ike was a legitimate 4.3-4.4 guy coming out of college, which is great. But, if he ran a real 4.17, the Raiders would have taken him in the 2nd round.

SteelCrazy
05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Look, we have one huge advantage here. Ike wants to play here. All we have to do is offer fair money. 9-10.5 mil per year for 4-5 years will do it. As long as the bonus isn't crazy, we can cut him when he loses his speed or renegotiate. I'm sure that we never offered him anything close to 10 mil per yet. But, we'll have to if the STeelers want to be competitive this season.

And Ike didn't run a 4.17. Come on. Maybe one stopwatch read that, but no way it was accurate. Ike was a legitimate 4.3-4.4 guy coming out of college, which is great. But, if he ran a real 4.17, the Raiders would have taken him in the 2nd round.

That is where you are dead wrong! The Raiders would have traded down to the #1 spot and grabbed him in the 1st round.

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 09:00 PM

that is too much money for a CB who plays zone 7 yards off the ball.

I don't see the Steeler FO paying him that much money...

Chadman
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
The 'importance' of Ike may be exaggerated due to the Steelers woes at pass defense over the last few seasons.

To Chadman, Ike is a 'good' CB. Troy is an 'exceptional' Safety. Clark is an 'average' safety. McFadden is an 'average-above average' CB (when healthy).

When you look at it that way- how much more than Ike should Troy be on? If you look at that- you must remember Troy is up for a contract extension. Can the Steelers afford 2 players in the DB's on those sort of salaries? If Ike can demand $10 million- what will Troy demand? $20 million? $30?

Can the Steelers really invest $30-$40 million into 2 DB's & still keep guys like Woodley, Timmons, Wallace, etc?

Oviedo
05-05-2011, 08:24 AM

It's really all on Ike what happens. He knows what the Steelers have looming on the horizon with Troy and Timmons. If he wants to get rich and not worry about who else the team signs then he should be gone. he he wants to be a little lesss rich, but very rich anyway, then he will have to settle for something in the $8M range.

It is really all on him because the team is going to do what is best for the team which is far more importnat than one player.