PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings: NFL's Top Ten Safeties

SteelCrazy
05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
ESPN.com's NFL writers rank the top 10 safeties in the league today. Next week: Top 10 owners.

When it comes to rating NFL safeties, there's Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, followed by a huge gap for everyone else.

As expected, the star safeties for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens dominated ESPN.com's positional Power Rankings this week. No other safety received a vote higher than third place.

ESPN.com's NFL writers rank the top 10 safeties in the league today. Next week: Top 10 owners.

When it comes to rating NFL safeties, there's Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, followed by a huge gap for everyone else.

As expected, the star safeties for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens dominated ESPN.com's positional Power Rankings this week. No other safety received a vote higher than third place.

Ranking the Safeties
1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers
4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals
5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs
6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans
7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots
9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants
10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins
10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

Follow link to see others that received votes but didnt make the top ten.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... l-safeties (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties)

ikestops85
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
It's hard to argue with the top 2 on the list. I see Eric Berry in the 5 spot but I don't see Earl Thomas on the list. I thought Thomas played at least as well as Berry did last year. I'm glad we got Pouncey last year but I was hoping Thomas fell to us. I guess it worked out for the best.

flippy
05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I've liked what I've seen of Charles Godfrey in Carolina. He's fast, can cover, can play the ball, and can tackle. He's a young guy the Steelers should take a look at to replace Clark when he comes up for FA next year. He deserves at least a vote or 2 imho.

And Bob Sanders is up there with Troy if he's healthy. I'd have Ed Reed @ #3 behind a healthy Sanders.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Even Pats fans will tell you that Brandon Meriweather sucks out loud. This is like back when Roy Williams the safety kept making Pro Bowls when no one seemed to be able to understand why.

ikestops85
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I've liked what I've seen of Charles Godfrey in Carolina. He's fast, can cover, can play the ball, and can tackle. He's a young guy the Steelers should take a look at to replace Clark when he comes up for FA next year. He deserves at least a vote or 2 imho.

And Bob Sanders is up there with Troy if he's healthy. I'd have Ed Reed @ #3 behind a healthy Sanders.

I would agree with you about Sanders but the problem is he is never healthy. I think Indy has pretty much given up on him.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 03:58 PM

I would agree with you about Sanders but the problem is he is never healthy. I think Indy has pretty much given up on him.

Considering he is now on San Diego's roster, I think the Colts agree with you.

Chargers sign Sanders
By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
Posted Mar 3, 2011

San Diego signed Pro Bowl strong safety Bob Sanders to a one-year contract on Thursday. Sanders is a former Defensive Player of the Year and a two-time Pro Bowl standout.

SAN DIEGO – Offensive players facing the Chargers this season cringed Wednesday upon hearing San Diego signed high-profile free agent safety Bob Sanders.

The former Defensive Player of the Year built a reputation with the Indianapolis Colts as one of the hardest-hitting players in the NFL, earning Pro Bowl selections in ’05 and ’07.

“We are all very excited to add Bob Sanders to our defense,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “We have always held him in high regard. He’s a smart, physical, instinctive player. His intensity and playmaking ability can make an immediate impact on our defense.”

Sanders (5-foot-8, 206 pounds) agreed to a one-year contract with San Diego and will join a defense that finished No. 1 in the NFL in total defense and fewest passing yards allowed last season.

“There’s no question I’m excited. The fact that Bob was available and excited about being here and then having it work out is great,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Our guys have unbelievable respect for him and what he’s done through the years. Certainly he knows what we’re capable of doing, so it’s a great fit.”

The Associated Press made Sanders the fourth safety in NFL history to claim Defensive Player of the Year in ’07. Sanders recorded 96 tackles, 3.5 sacks and two interceptions that season, a year after he helped the Colts to their second Super Bowl championship in franchise history.

Sanders’ physical play has forced him to the sideline due to injuries at times. Most recently he suffered a torn biceps last season on Sept. 12 at Houston and missed the rest of the season. Indianapolis released him last month.

Sanders, 30, hasn’t been subjected to many NFL games (48) relative to his age and remains a fierce tackler.

“When you do something like this obviously there’s some risk involved but the upside outweighs that,” Turner added. “He’s healthy and he’s excited about the opportunity.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-sign-Sanders/b45d03df-4b80-4fe3-9070-867f7c5820b9

SteelCrazy
05-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Thomas received some votes but didnt make the list. You can see the others with votes at the link.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Thomas received some votes but didnt make the list. You can see the others with votes at the link.

One guy thought Ryan Clark was 4th best? Another 6th best? Wow...

flippy
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Chris Hope probably deserved a vote or 2 too.

ikestops85
05-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Considering he is now on San Diego's roster, I think the Colts agree with you.

Damn!! I guess that's what happens when you devoid your life of sports after a certain 4th down pass hit the ground up until a couple of weeks ago. :oops:

focosteeler
05-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Meriweather doesnt deserve to be on the list after trying to kill todd heap

SteelStallion
05-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Troy hasn't been healthy in some time. Hope he's not going down this pathway.