PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall's twitter take on Bin Laden....

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe you should stick to running the football RM,,and not your mouth!

R_MendenhallRashard Mendenhall

What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...

1 hour ago

http://twitter.com/#!/R_Mendenhall

And there is more to come I am sure.

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Another beauty....

dkeller23 Dominique Keller

by R_Mendenhall
@

@R_Mendenhall I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us

1 hour ago

Rashard,,,you really need to learn something. Bin Laden HIMSELF on camera took responsibility!! :wft

Yikes. This is gonna be bad for Mendy.

Flasteel
05-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I hope somebody hacked his Twitter account or something, because if this is his sentiment, I'll never root for the guy again. I can appreciate not celebrating the death of another human being, but to question Bin Laden's involvement with 9-11 or world-wide terrorism is unfathomable. Bin Laden was this nation's greatest enemy and an enmey to humanity in general.

Side with him and you become my enemy.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Is Mendy the next Santonio? Will we get more than a fifth-rounder for him? :lol:

Chadman
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM

SteelBucks
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I doubt his account was hacked.....

R_Mendenhall Rashard Mendenhall
Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves.
37 minutes ago

Rashard Mendenhall
R_Mendenhall Rashard Mendenhall
@dkeller23 We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style

SteelBucks
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Questioning the events that occured both recently & previously is nothing that many others haven't done- no need to castigate him for his opinion.

It's my opinion that Mendenhall is an idiot.

Chadman
05-02-2011, 07:20 PM

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
It's funny, and ironic that Mendy says this...

What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...

And then this....

_MendenhallRashard Mendenhall

For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell and piss on his ashes, I ask how would God feel about your heart?

So Mendenhall finds it hard to HATE a person they have never met, or talked with ? And yet he writes " How would God feel about your heart ? " So if Mendenhall thinks it is impossible to HATE someone for whom they ahve never met or talked with. Then it also stands to reason one could not LOVE someone they have never met or talked to either.....and since Mendenhall LOVES JESUS....I can only assume then that Rashard has sat down with Jesus ?? :wft

D Rock
05-02-2011, 07:30 PM

And then this....

For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell and piss on his ashes, I ask how would God feel about your heart?

So Mendenhall finds it hard to HATE a person they have never met, or talked with ? And yet he writes " How would God feel about your heart ? " So if Mendenhall thinks it is impossible to HATE someone for whom they ahve never met or talked with. Then it also stands to reason one could not LOVE someone they have never met or talked to either.....and since Mendenhall LOVES JESUS....I can only assume then that Rashard has sat down with Jesus ?? :wft

You don't need to sit down and have some lemonade with Jesus to have met him.

PSU_dropout43
05-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Mendy's a "truther." :shock:

Chadman
05-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Djfan
05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Maybe he is trying to express his Christian beliefs, but asserting that OBL might not have done 9-11 is odd.

I hope he covers this track somehow.

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 07:46 PM

And then this....

Really, explain how is that ? And please don't insult my intelligence by saying, you can meet Jesus in your Heart. Cause that's " FAITH " There is no more evidence that Jesus, or God exsists then say the Easter Bunny :roll: For Mendenhall to say such Idiotic things when Bin Laden himself admitted to that terrorist act, as well as the attack on the USS Cole, and the very first WTC bombing back in 1993 is just Ignorant. I'm pretty sure that NONE of us ever met, or spoke with Adolf Hitler,,,but I am fairly confident I can say I HATE that man, and I celebrate the armed forces that defeated him. But to Mendenhall, I am anIdiot cause I never sat down and had some " STRUDEL " with the man :lol:

Absolutely laughable.

Shawn
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM

And then this....

absolutely. :)

D Rock
05-02-2011, 07:55 PM

And then this....

Really, explain how is that ? And please don't insult my intelligence by saying, you can meet Jesus in your Heart. Cause that's " FAITH " There is no more evidence that Jesus, or God exsists then say the Easter Bunny :roll: For Mendenhall to say such Idiotic things when Bin Laden himself admitted to that terrorist act, as well as the attack on the USS Cole, and the very first WTC bombing back in 1993 is just Ignorant. I'm pretty sure that NONE of us ever met, or spoke with Adolf Hitler,,,but I am fairly confident I can say I HATE that man, and I celebrate the armed forces that defeated him. But to Mendenhall, I am anIdiot cause I never sat down and had some " STRUDEL " with the man :lol:

Absolutely laughable.

On Saturday you said "Nothing wrong with loving the Lord :Bow "

Today it's impossible for you to love him because you haven't met him.

You need to stop trying to abrasive and stir stuff up. Nobody here cares when you do it.

steelz09
05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow -- Social media exposes more ignorance.

How's the saying go? It's better to be quiet and have people think your ignorant then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Chadman
05-02-2011, 08:01 PM

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
[quote=insanesteelersfan]It's funny, and ironic that Mendy says this...

And then this....

Absolutely laughable.

You need to stop trying to abrasive and stir stuff up. Nobody here cares when you do it.[/quote:fzox5n62]

Yes I did say that. But I never said I Love the Lord, or believe in him. I'm simpley saying there is nothing wrong with loving the Lord. I would also say that if we found out say that,,,,James Harrison worshiped santanism,,I would also say,,there is nothing wrong in worshipping Satan.

It's called choice,,,maybe you should try to learn what that word means. And I also will defend whatever Mendy wants to write, or believe. But I also will call him out when he makes a bonified blunder. Saying that we don't know who did those acts. Only what the Government says ? That's a bold face lie.

Steel Life
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM

And then this....

Absolutely laughable.
This is a non-story - Mendy is actually an thoughtful & articulate person, obviously he has different opinions & disagree if you like, but remember that part of being "American" is having the right to free speech (& thus freedom of thought) & freedom of religion. The fact that he doesn't prescribe to your world view means nothing except that you have a difference of opinion on both these issues. How he views world events or his relationship with his god - as long as it's not causing harm - isn't for you to determine it's value. This isn't that big of a deal as stories are already breaking that many don't believe we got OBL, especially considering the manner his body was disposed of...it will lead to conspiracy theories despite any evidence to the contrary. After all, there are people out there who believe Elvis is alive, that the space program is faked, etc., etc., etc.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
[quote=insanesteelersfan]It's funny, and ironic that Mendy says this...

And then this....

Absolutely laughable.

You need to stop trying to abrasive and stir stuff up. Nobody here cares when you do it.

Yes I did say that. But I never said I Love the Lord, or believe in him. I'm simpley saying there is nothing wrong with loving the Lord. I would also say that if we found out say that,,,,James Harrison worshiped santanism,,I would also say,,there is nothing wrong in worshipping Satan.

It's called choice,,,maybe you should try to learn what that word means. And I also will defend whatever Mendy wants to write, or believe. But I also will call him out when he makes a bonified blunder. Saying that we don't know who did those acts. Only what the Government says ? That's a bold face lie.[/quote:2guasqb0]

How can there be nothing wrong with loving the Lord if it is an impossible act, as you seem to believe.

So it is both impossible, but also okay for people to do? How do people do what is impossible?

Djfan
05-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Maybe he is trying to express his Christian beliefs, but asserting that OBL might not have done 9-11 is odd.

This is certainly not the first time Chadman has heard this questioned. There are many theories to why certain events happen- having him question this isn't a terrible thing.

He hasn't condemned anyone, he hasn't 'sided' with the Taliban- he's just expressed an opinion that doesn't necessarily fit with everyone.

His comparison of slavery & the NFL was worse.

The odd part to me is not that it may not be true (some kind of fabricated story for a political purpose?), but that he went out on this limb for any reason. Don't see the use in it, but he had to know it would cause issues.

Djfan
05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
D Rock -

The insane dude is a pot stirring kid. Ever had any luck bringing logic and agreement to this type of person? As much as I would love to interact with him on this topic, it will go no where.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 08:17 PM

This is certainly not the first time Chadman has heard this questioned. There are many theories to why certain events happen- having him question this isn't a terrible thing.

He hasn't condemned anyone, he hasn't 'sided' with the Taliban- he's just expressed an opinion that doesn't necessarily fit with everyone.

The odd part to me is not that it may not be true (some kind of fabricated story for a political purpose?), but that he went out on this limb for any reason. Don't see the use in it, but he had to know it would cause issues.

his political opinions don't earn him a game check. His skills on the field do. I see nothing wrong with a guy speaking his mind just because people know who he is.

Steel Life
05-02-2011, 08:21 PM

You're right...it is odd, but probably yet another instance where trying to communicate in such an abbreviated manner via email, text, twitter or whatever doesn't allow context. While irritating & maybe a bit naive, it's hardly inflammatory.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 08:23 PM
People disagree with Rashard Mendenhall. What did he do? He had to do something?!!?

WHAT DID HE DO?!?!!?

HE HAD TO HAVE DONE SOMETHING!!

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Absolutely laughable.[/quote]

You need to stop trying to abrasive and stir stuff up. Nobody here cares when you do it.[/quote][/quote]

I said there was nothing wrong with it as it goes to Batch. But I never said I did, or don't. I also think there is nothing wrong playing football, even though I never have,,,so does that make me a hypocritical steeler fan :?: Seriously, I don't care what our players do as it goes to their beliefs. Or what Mendy wants to twitter. But he is opening a huge window of hypocrisy when he states what he states about how there is no proof that Bin Laden ever committed those acts. Only what the givernment tells us. Cause by that SAME belief, can't one also say that there is no PROOF that Hitler, and the Nazi's ever committed the Holocaust....only what the Israeli Government tells us ? Or that Slavery never exsisted,,,only what some segment of society told us ?

Bottom line, yes Rashard can say what he wants. But maybe it would have been better if he did not open this particular pandora's box ?

fezziwig
05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Hasn't Rashad watched the news ? Bin Laden on camera/video has claimed the responsibility many times. It even shows Bin Laden watching the towers burn and laughed with great happiness when the innocent people burned and jumped off the building.

Bin Laden sent so many videos out about 911 and that more terror was to come I, started to believe the guy only wanted his own mini series.

I thought Rashad had more brains than this. What an idiot.

plainnasty
05-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Rashard, maybe you have only heard one side, or maybe you agree with the other siude...I don't know. Bin Laden declared war on America as far back as 1998 and stated that killing Americans was every Muslim's duty. His views were not a secret. But if you're not intelligent enough to see how your tweets will offend many American, especially those who have lost loved ones on 9-11, or a result of 9-11, then you deserve the backlash that you get.

Think he is enjoying his 40 virgins now?

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
There is no more evidence that Jesus, or God exsists then say the Easter Bunny :roll:

Dude...

All I can say is open your eyes...

Look at the vastness and majesty of space...the beauty and order of the natural world...
the complexity of the human body, even down to the workings of the cells...

If you can honestly look at all of those aspects of nature, and say that there is NO evidence that God exists, well, no offense, but you are the one who is ignorant.

AzStillers1989
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Al Qaeda was funded by the US government years ago.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/24198

Ever heard of a man named Zbigniew Brzezinski??

Also....
How do we explain World Trade center 7 and the hole in the Pentagon?? Osama Bin laden was a patsy for the attacks.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
nobody has ever explained WTC #7.

smoking gun.

Flasteel
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Although this is potentially not the smartest thing Mendy has done- he didn't actually 'side' with Bin Laden.

Questioning the events that occured both recently & previously is nothing that many others haven't done- no need to castigate him for his opinion.

Side with, sympathize with, question his guilt...whatever. It's an inexcusable opinion for any sane individual to profess. Bin Laden and Al Quaida have joyfully claimed responsibility for 9-11 and their war against America & the west.

I'll castigate him all I want and the son of a bitch will be lucky if he doesn't get his ass kicked by some overzealous individuals. Personally, it would put a smile on my face to see Mendenhall suffer publicly for these comments and I can only hope he learns to keep his yap shut. Someone should take away his Twitter account.

flippy
05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe Mendy agrees with Jesse Ventura that 9/11 was orchestrated by the US gov't and Bin Laden is just the scapegoat?

I have to admit a couple of things are really weird. 1. Black boxes don't disappear. 2. Buildings that get hit from the very top don't collapse/crumble down perfectly. and 3. The hole in the Pentagon didn't make logical sense.

There are loads of other questions that make you say hmmmm. This whole situation was just strange on a lot of levels and I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

MadSteel
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
How's the saying go? It's better to be quiet and have people think your ignorant then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I was about to write the same thing but decided to read a little further and bam, you stole my line.

steelernation77
05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
All the God talk clashes a little bit with his multiple tweets about oral sex on his page.

feltdizz
05-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't want to sound like a truther but....

Tim Osman aka Osama Bin Laden worked for the US for years... Does anyone really think he could be behind 9/11 and we let all his family fly out the country after grounding all flights?

I never saw Osama in more than 4 video clips... I have my doubts about this but it's still a good thing for the 9/11 victims

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-03-2011, 01:02 AM
If I felt that my government was guilty of doing an attack like 9-11 on my fellow citizens, I don't know if I would be able to just go about my daily nine-to-five existence.

And, I wouldn't want Mendy on my team if I were an owner and he was suggesting that the US was behind the attacks.

Chadman
05-03-2011, 01:12 AM

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2011, 02:29 AM
“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only Love can do that.”

–Martin Luther King, Jr

maybe Mendy believes in the doctrines of MLK and I respect Mendy's right to freedom of speech.

personally, I'm glad Osama bin Laden is a dead man and urge Mendy to do a little more research about bin Laden and his involvement in 9/11.

I would like to thank the Navy SEALs and all of our armed forces. God Bless America.

SteelBucks
05-03-2011, 07:07 AM
“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only Love can do that.”

–Martin Luther King, Jr

maybe Mendy believes in the doctrines of MLK and I respect Mendy's right to freedom of speech.

personally, I'm glad Osama bin Laden is a dead man and urge Mendy to do a little more research about bin Laden and his involvement in 9/11.

I would like to thank the Navy SEALs and all of our armed forces. God Bless America.

Well said! :Clap

Mister Pittsburgh
05-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Actually Rashard, there is a lot of video of him speaking out there. Typically he is leaving Americans little love notes via video saying he would like to kill us simply for being American....not so amazing people HATE him.

Also, pretty sure burning jet fuel gets hot enough to melt steel, thus a jet full of fuel bringing down a skyscraper.

You are easily my LEAST favorite Steeler player. Nice work.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Maybe Mendy agrees with Jesse Ventura that 9/11 was orchestrated by the US gov't and Bin Laden is just the scapegoat?

I have to admit a couple of things are really weird. 1. Black boxes don't disappear. 2. Buildings that get hit from the very top don't collapse/crumble down perfectly. and 3. The hole in the Pentagon didn't make logical sense.

There are loads of other questions that make you say hmmmm. This whole situation was just strange on a lot of levels and I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

1. Black box amongst millions and millions of tons of debris....needle in a haystack.
2. The buildings didn't fall due to the impact of the jet, they fell due to the infrastructure of the building nearly melting from burning jet fuel, weakening the levels below, causing it to crumble not fall.
3. No answer on that one.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 08:14 AM
I will not "celebrate" his death by desecration of any pictures, beliefs, etc. Nor cheer his assasination or sneer his name...I think the fuc#er go what he deserved. After knowing what he has done to innocent people in the Mid East and what terror he brings to society at home & abroad, how can you sympathize? Conspiracy theory exist or not...The man took credit. So to the late Bin Laden, you took innocent American lives and pose a threat to me and my love ones. May your God have mercy on you. After what you have done, the God who brought wrath upon you was the USA and I hope MY God just turned his head. If feeling that way is wrong, I will face my judgement. This Catholic won't "Love thy Enemies" when my loved ones are in jeopardy. You took thousands of innocent American lives on 9/11 and many Americans died to protect us and our freedoms...It was time to meet your maker for your sins.

Mendy???? Not smart. Not smart at all. Sometimes your opinion she be just your opinion when you have a "profile" like you have.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I honestly don't even think americans were celebrating the mans death. I think they were celebrating what it stood for. A small victory of good vs. evil. American military vs. cowards that would rather hide in the grass and attack unarmed humans instead of standing and fighting toe to toe like men.

I personally celebrated that America still has it. Our intelligence agencies can still do great things. Our special forces can still do amazing things. That makes me proud.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I will not "celebrate" his death by desecration of any pictures, beliefs, etc. Nor cheer his assasination or sneer his name...I think the fuc#er go what he deserved. After knowing what he has done to innocent people in the Mid East and what terror he brings to society at home & abroad, how can you sympathize? Conspiracy theory exist or not...The man took credit. So to the late Bin Laden, you took innocent American lives and pose a threat to me and my love ones. May your God have mercy on you. After what you have done, the God who brought wrath upon you was the USA and I hope MY God just turned his head. If feeling that way is wrong, I will face my judgement. This Catholic won't "Love thy Enemies" when my loved ones are in jeopardy. You took thousands of innocent American lives on 9/11 and many Americans died to protect us and our freedoms...It was time to meet your maker for your sins.

Mendy???? Not smart. Not smart at all. Sometimes your opinion she be just your opinion when you have a "profile" like you have.

I would just say I think it was not an assassination, but a guy who got shot resisting arrest. Meaning he committed "suicide bye SEAL" rather than be captured alive.

JAR
05-03-2011, 08:42 AM
So, because he's a Steeler, he can't have an opinion that you don't agree with?

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
3. The hole in the Pentagon didn't make logical sense.

no plane debris, no clips of the pane hitting it even though we have hundreds of cameras surrounding the place and the hole was tiny.

All that burnt fuel knocked down 2 towers that we built to withstand airplanes but the pentagon had books and wood right by the hole.

that one makes me go hmm....

JAR
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM

no plane debris, no clips of the pane hitting it even though we have hundreds of cameras surrounding the place and the hole was tiny.

All that burnt fuel knocked down 2 towers that we built to withstand airplanes but the pentagon had books and wood right by the hole.

Yes, a lot of things don't ad up and it's why so many people have questions. Flight 427 that fell from the sky the way the Shanksville flight did had almost every single piece of aircraft left at the wreckage site, Shanksville, there was nothing.... that is very odd too.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 09:42 AM

No, he can have any opinion he wants. But you or I making our opinion public doesn't have the impact that a man in his position does. This isn't about having an opion, it is about sharing your opinion. I'm sure there are many people that feel the same way and there could be many in the NFL that share his opinion. However, there seem to be 1,600 plus NFL football players who know to keep their mouths shut.

JAR
05-03-2011, 09:59 AM

No, he can have any opinion he wants. But you or I making our opinion public doesn't have the impact that a man in his position does. This isn't about having an opion, it is about sharing your opinion. I'm sure there are many people that feel the same way and there could be many in the NFL that share his opinion. However, there seem to be 1,600 plus NFL football players who know to keep their mouths shut.

So, everyone is supposed to be the same and keep their mouths shut because that's how you feel?

Gus
05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I believe that Rashard is a contemplative young man who was struck by the reaction of many Americans. The ecstatic rejoicing of many over a violent act does not sit well with him. He seems to be expressing that peace is not attained through violence. OBL may have been a good many things. However, did a huge chunk of evil simply vanish from the planet upon his death?

Rashard seems to be questioning this.

papillon
05-03-2011, 11:02 AM

So, everyone is supposed to be the same and keep their mouths shut because that's how you feel?

He's free to say what ever he wants and everyone else is free to react to his words. He has to be willing to accept the consequences of what he says, fans may jeer him, Tomlin may counsel him, Colbert may look for a replacement and the Rooneys may fire him or none of this may happen to him. As long as he's fine with the consequences that are lawful and disseminated based on his statements no one should have a problem.

Unfortunately, being a public figure brings things into play that the average citizen doesn't have to deal with and that is public backlash. If I say, Bin Laden was a hero, no one cares, I'll get flamed on this board and that will end it. If a public persona says, Bin Laden was a hero and was framed (I know Mendy didn't say this) he's (or she) is going to have backlash, possibly, loss of advertising revenue, fan backlash by way of boycott, etc., etc. There's more to lose and a lot more to think about when you have a public presence before you make public remarks. It may not be fair, but it's the way being famous works.

Like I said, as long as Mendenhall accepts any recourse taken for his statements, he should say what he thinks. On the other hand, if he states something inflammatory and then expects no consequences that's foolish.

In this new digital age everything that is said or written publicly is captured and stored forever, texts, tweets, facebook, phone calls, message board statements, etc, etc just remember it's permanent.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM

I told you he could have his opinion. He should keep his mouth shut because 1,600 other players were smart enough to. So he should run his mouth because you feel it is a smart decision?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 11:29 AM

He's free to say what ever he wants and everyone else is free to react to his words. He has to be willing to accept the consequences of what he says, fans may jeer him, Tomlin may counsel him, Colbert may look for a replacement and the Rooneys may fire him or none of this may happen to him. As long as he's fine with the consequences that are lawful and disseminated based on his statements no one should have a problem.

Unfortunately, being a public figure brings things into play that the average citizen doesn't have to deal with and that is public backlash. If I say, Bin Laden was a hero, no one cares, I'll get flamed on this board and that will end it. If a public persona says, Bin Laden was a hero and was framed (I know Mendy didn't say this) he's (or she) is going to have backlash, possibly, loss of advertising revenue, fan backlash by way of boycott, etc., etc. There's more to lose and a lot more to think about when you have a public presence before you make public remarks. It may not be fair, but it's the way being famous works.

Like I said, as long as Mendenhall accepts any recourse taken for his statements, he should say what he thinks. On the other hand, if he states something inflammatory and then expects no consequences that's foolish.

In this new digital age everything that is said or written publicly is captured and stored forever, texts, tweets, facebook, phone calls, message board statements, etc, etc just remember it's permanent.

Pappy
See there is the problem Pap. I'm a Steelers fan, so I'm looking at this from a Steeler fan perspective. If your comments can result in repercussions because of you status, you don't say anything. If you are not intelligent enough to know it will, then that tells us something about him. No matter what the reason is, there are 1,695 other players in this league that knew there was a time and place to voice your opinion. He may not be the last...But as far as I know he was the first. And as far as I know, the Rooneys don't like "negative" attention. If this wasn't negative, we wouldn't be talking about it & it wouldn't be on every sports website you click on. If he wanted attention again...He got it.

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
[quote=JAR]So, because he's a Steeler, he can't have an opinion that you don't agree with?

I told you he could have his opinion. He should keep his mouth shut because 1,600 other players were smart enough to. So he should run his mouth because you feel it is a smart decision?[/quote:1f1y36nf]

Mend is free to run his mouth... and we are free to criticize or defend him.

I highly doubt Mend will get punished for this. I heard a few jokes on the radio this morning so he will have to deal with the media for a few days.

I really don't see anything wrong with his views. I don't agree with the timing and can't stand twitter but hey, it's America.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
[quote=JAR]So, because he's a Steeler, he can't have an opinion that you don't agree with?

I told you he could have his opinion. He should keep his mouth shut because 1,600 other players were smart enough to. So he should run his mouth because you feel it is a smart decision?

Mend is free to run his mouth... and we are free to criticize or defend him.

I highly doubt Mend will get punished for this. I heard a few jokes on the radio this morning so he will have to deal with the media for a few days.

I really don't see anything wrong with his views. I don't agree with the timing and can't stand twitter but hey, it's America.[/quote:11kiluw5]

I don't see anything wrong with his views either.

steelblood
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Questioning a celebration over death is one thing. I get how that can be offensive. But, openly questioning whether Bin Laden was behind 911 is really simply asking for abuse. Even if you have questions about 911, there is no doubt that Bin Laden had much to do with the planning (he claimed as much himself and savored our country's suffering). At some point, you have to know when to step away from the keyboard.

ikestops85
05-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Are you guys serious? I live in the DC area and worked in DC at the time. How do you think a plane got there? Did a crane bring it in and no one saw it?

I saw the plane and the damage on my way home from work that day. My neighbor, who worked at the Pentagon in the hallway next to where the plane hit, got a medal for going into the crash area and saving people who were hurt. There is film of the plane circling the building. They missed on the first pass.

The Pentagon did not take a direct hit. They showed where the plane hit and bounced into the building.

I've just decided I'm going to start up a tin foil hat business. I didn't think the demand was that high but now I'm not sure. :roll:

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Questioning a celebration over death is one thing. I get how that can be offensive. But, openly questioning whether Bin Laden was behind 911 is really simply asking for abuse. Even if you have questions about 911, there is no doubt that Bin Laden had much to do with the planning (he claimed as much himself and savored our country's suffering). At some point, you have to know when to step away from the keyboard.

ehhh.... Osama worked directly with the CIA.Right now we are in Libya helping the rebels overthrow Ghadafi.. and those rebels are Taliban and Al Queda sympathizers...

I think Americans are clueless when it comes to these types of things.

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Are you guys serious? I live in the DC area and worked in DC at the time. How do you think a plane got there? Did a crane bring it in and no one saw it?

I saw the plane and the damage on my way home from work that day. My neighbor, who worked at the Pentagon in the hallway next to where the plane hit, got a medal for going into the crash area and saving people who were hurt. There is film of the plane circling the building. They missed on the first pass.

The Pentagon did not take a direct hit. They showed where the plane hit and bounced into the building.

I've just decided I'm going to start up a tin foil hat business. I didn't think the demand was that high but now I'm not sure. :roll:

Ike.. you are the first person that I know of saying anything like this. I would love to see those films of the plane circling and missing. I have never seen any film on DC. Never heard about the plane bouncing into the building...

These are things the majority of America haven't read or seen.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Statement by Steelers President Art Rooney II on Rashard Mendenhall Tweets
Posted 2 hours ago

“I have not spoken with Rashard so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers’ organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-by-Steelers-President-Art-Rooney-II-on-Rashard-Mendenhall-Tweets/e3341aed-a83d-4f62-a955-ee6b23c7431f

D Rock
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
[youtube:declmqq8]YVDdjLQkUV8[/youtube:declmqq8]

Mister Pittsburgh
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM

On this link you can see multiple photos taken by the cleanup crew at the pentagon. You can clearly see airplane debris such as the matching wheel hubs and landing gear, etc.

http://www.rense.com/general32/phot.htm

papillon
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Pappy
See there is the problem Pap. I'm a Steelers fan, so I'm looking at this from a Steeler fan perspective. If your comments can result in repercussions because of you status, you don't say anything. If you are not intelligent enough to know it will, then that tells us something about him. No matter what the reason is, there are 1,695 other players in this league that knew there was a time and place to voice your opinion. He may not be the last...But as far as I know he was the first. And as far as I know, the Rooneys don't like "negative" attention. If this wasn't negative, we wouldn't be talking about it & it wouldn't be on every sports website you click on. If he wanted attention again...He got it.[/quote:36ilm1nf]

I don't like what he said either and I'm probably right there with you. All I'm saying is that as long as he's willing to accept the consequences it's good. He can't have it both ways, make controversial statements and then get upset when there are ramifications.

It already sounds like Art Rooney isn't exactly enamored with his statements. We'll see how it plays out. My guess is there is going to be either a statement from him saying what it sounds like he meant isn't what he meant or there may be an apology forthcoming.

Mendy seems to have an issue with thinking before he speaks. He engages his tongue before his brain.

Pappy

Dee Dub
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Mmmmm.....lemonade......oh, where were we?

Pretty sure Mendy is just trying to express his Christian beliefs.

Yep! But if you do not know Jesus and dont have him in your heart then you wont be able to understand this. It is the very reason Jesus spoke in parables.

I will say this....

I could careless about what any one person thinks about my beliefs. But I will tell world every day that Jesus Christ is Lord of my life and he is the only savior of the world.

Ya see..I was once on the other side of disbelief. But now I can see the light.

An atheists has about as much of a chance as finding and knowing Jesus as does a crook seeking out and finding a police officer. If you aint lookin you aint gonna find him.

Praise be to you my Lord. Thank you for changing my life and getting me to see the truth.

Dee Dub
05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
If I felt that my government was guilty of doing an attack like 9-11 on my fellow citizens, I don't know if I would be able to just go about my daily nine-to-five existence.....

Our government told us there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. But none were never found.

Dee Dub
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM

–Martin Luther King, Jr

maybe Mendy believes in the doctrines of MLK and I respect Mendy's right to freedom of speech......

What do you think this light is that Dr. King spoke of? See John 1:4-5.

"In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

These words Dr. King spoke of came from his mouth but the were embedded in his heart for he had Jesus Christ in him. And those words were paraphrasing all that Jesus stood for.

I once walked in darkness. But I surrendered. And now I walk in the Light.

JAR
05-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Mendy seems to have an issue with thinking before he speaks

The thing is, he did think. Buying into everything in the official story isn't thinking, it's just walking march step along.

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 01:53 PM
If I felt that my government was guilty of doing an attack like 9-11 on my fellow citizens, I don't know if I would be able to just go about my daily nine-to-five existence.....

Our government told us there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. But none were never found.

...and the WMD's they were claiming he had were given to him by us.

..and Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire but we didn't find out about it until after the parades and celebrations.

..and Osama traveled to caves to film his speeches even though he was in a mansion in Pakistan for the last 6 years.

insanesteelersfan
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
When you have the same beliefs and opinions as Charlie Sheen.....that's NEVER a good thing Rashard :Binky

Oviedo
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
This is why self professed "slaves" should not be allowed to speak!!!!!!!!!

papillon
05-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Mendy seems to have an issue with thinking before he speaks

The thing is, he did think. Buying into everything in the official story isn't thinking, it's just walking march step along.

That's one view of it; just because you believe the story doesn't mean you're marching lockstep, it means you thought about it and believe it is a believable story. The same as those who are skeptical and may think the the US Govt. had a hand in it; doesn't mean you are marching lockstep with the conspirator theories, it means you thought about it and find it plausible.

Two sides to the story and each with it's believers and non-believers.

Pappy

skyhawk
05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Mmmmm.....lemonade......oh, where were we?

Pretty sure Mendy is just trying to express his Christian beliefs.

Yep! But if you do not know Jesus and dont have him in your heart then you wont be able to understand this. It is the very reason Jesus spoke in parables.

I will say this....

I could careless about what any one person thinks about my beliefs. But I will tell world every day that Jesus Christ is Lord of my life and he is the only savior of the world.

Ya see..I was once on the other side of disbelief. But now I can see the light.

An atheists has about as much of a chance as finding and knowing Jesus as does a crook seeking out and finding a police officer. If you aint lookin you aint gonna find him.

Praise be to you my Lord. Thank you for changing my life and getting me to see the truth.

Sure, you have to be a Christian to know Jesus (but and atheist can "know" who Jesus is) but you do NOT have to be a Christian (e.g.,atheist) and still understand where Rashard is coming from (without religion).

flippy
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
We don't need religion to be moral creatures. Animals show compassion for one another and have order without being able to know about God.

This could simply be a moral view on behalf of Mendy, not necessarily religious.

Slapstick
05-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Did Rashard tweet anything illegal?

Did Rashard tweet that he was going to perform any type of illegal activity?

Did Rashard tweet anything negative about the fanbase of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

If none of these is true, then you may feel free to disagree with any and everything Rashard says...but he doesn't owe anyone an apology...

If you don't like it, don't follow his Twitter feed...I don't...

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
upon further review, Rashard Mendenhall has been found to be an idiot...

http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rashard-mendenhall-twitter-911-bin-laden1-500x220.jpg

Chadman
05-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Steelworth
05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
From what Chadman sees- Rashard didn't call anyone else an idiot for a different opinion to his own.

He implied they are hateful and ignorant. That's pretty close to being an idiot where I come from.

birtikidis
05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
From what Chadman sees- Rashard didn't call anyone else an idiot for a different opinion to his own.

He implied they are hateful and ignorant. That's pretty close to being an idiot where I come from.
Hey that sounds like where I came from! What year did you graduate? :lol:

I don't really care what he says or thinks about the situation to be honest. His opinion doesn't really effect my life that much. I'd rather he were walking around with a football in his hand securely. Then he wouldn't really be able to twit if he were doing that.. so both problems solved!

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Plenty of people willing to label others idiots for varying opinions....

first, Mendenhall amazed me with this ignorant comment:

"Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

then Mendy drew upon his extensive experience as a structural engineer to say that he had his doubts about our government's version of what happened to the World Trade Center:

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/assets_c/2011/05/rashb-thumb-450x203-112462.png

Mendenhall may be an intelligent person, but these two comments were really stupid.

ter1230_4
05-03-2011, 08:46 PM

http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rashard-mendenhall-twitter-911-bin-laden1-500x220.jpg

I agree completely, Mendenhall is an idiot for saying that there are two sides to the Bin Laden story and for implying that 9-11 was some sort of Government conspiracy. And anyone who agrees with him on either point is also an idiot. Medenhall's tweets are almost as embarrassing as our Franchise QB's exploits last spring.

skyhawk
05-03-2011, 09:03 PM

I agree completely, Mendenhall is an idiot for saying that there are two sides to the Bin Laden story and for implying that 9-11 was some sort of Government conspiracy. And anyone who agrees with him on either point is also an idiot. Medenhall's tweets are almost as embarrassing as our Franchise QB's exploits last spring.

Yeah. Question nothing. Watch Fox News. :roll:

ter1230_4
05-03-2011, 09:21 PM

I have plenty of issues with the government, but on this one it's as clear as night and day. Anyone who thinks that the US Government was responsible for the 9-11 attacks is an utter and complete idiot.

skyhawk
05-03-2011, 09:32 PM
[quote=hawaiiansteel]upon further review, Rashard Mendenhall has been found to be an idiot...

I have plenty of issues with the government, but on this one it's as clear as night and day. Anyone who thinks that the US Government was responsible for the 9-11 attacks is an utter and complete idiot.[/quote:1h2p6z72]

I agree. The government is not responsible directly. Some other monied party is. Could be war profiteers, NYC elite, terrorists, or a combination of all of those.

I will say this: There better be a photo of a dead OBL or he will never go away. Also, I just can't see why they would bury him at sea, and give burial rites before dumping him. Is our government being transparent in this case? Will there be photos of a dead OBL, will they release the video of his burial? Otherwise, conspiracy theorists may have a field day, and they may have reason to be.

Chadman
05-03-2011, 09:33 PM

insanesteelersfan
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow! I can't believe what I started here with this thread. Although If I didn't, someone would have. Look, I don't think this SHOULD have anything to do with Mendy's contributions to our team. But obviously the people of pittsburgh don't agree. I mean listening to the " Fan " right now. This is way hotter of a subject then the Ben situation. Right now it's over 80 % of all of the people in Pittsburgh want Mendenhall CUT...Immediately. Not traded. Not fined, but out and out Cut!

I mean if you have the time, tune in and listen, most are critical of him in the worst way. One caller, a season ticket holder of over 30 years wants to organize a Mendenhall Jersey burning at the stadium in week 1....Wow! :Hater

birtikidis
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
[quote=hawaiiansteel]upon further review, Rashard Mendenhall has been found to be an idiot...

I have plenty of issues with the government, but on this one it's as clear as night and day. Anyone who thinks that the US Government was responsible for the 9-11 attacks is an utter and complete idiot.

I agree. The government is not responsible directly. Some other monied party is. Could be war profiteers, NYC elite, terrorists, or a combination of all of those.

I will say this: There better be a photo of a dead OBL or he will never go away. Also, I just can't see why they would bury him at sea, and give burial rites before dumping him. Is our government being transparent in this case? Will there be photos of a dead OBL, will they release the video of his burial? Otherwise, conspiracy theorists may have a field day, and they may have reason to be.[/quote:1trh8lqv]
Well the theory is that since there are over 1 billion Muslims and even if only .01% are crazy, it's better to not offend that small percentage. So the tell a lie to make that .01% not want to kill us.

skyhawk
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Wow! I can't believe what I started here with this thread. Although If I didn't, someone would have. Look, I don't think this SHOULD have anything to do with Mendy's contributions to our team. But obviously the people of pittsburgh don't agree. I mean listening to the " Fan " right now. This is way hotter of a subject then the Ben situation. Right now it's over 80 % of all of the people in Pittsburgh want Mendenhall CUT...Immediately. Not traded. Not fined, but out and out Cut!

I mean if you have the time, tune in and listen, most are critical of him in the worst way. One caller, a season ticket holder of over 30 years wants to organize a Mendenhall Jersey burning at the stadium in week 1....Wow! :Hater

Hypocrites.

Blind American exceptionalism at it's best.

birtikidis
05-03-2011, 09:44 PM

I'm going to tie it to the team. Put down the twitter, pick up a football, stop fumbling. That should be Mendy's focus lol

ter1230_4
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Mendenhall DID NOT say the US Government was responsible- only that he suspects you have not been given the full story.

And, YES, there are always 2 sides to every story. Ever questioned WHY 9/11 happened?

It's not ignorant or stupid to question the 'facts' presented by the media & government.[/quote:197pgy5r]

If you would read my initial post I said that Mendenhall IMPLIED that the US Govt was responsible for 911. He's not just saying he suspects we were not given the full story. And you're right, there are two sides to every story. Western civilization over the past 1000 years has left Arab civilization in the dust because Islam has held back Arab civilization, so Islamic extremists like OBL strike out at Western civilization out of frustration. There's your two sides : Western success, Arab failure. Finally, questioning is fine, but making it up to support bogus conspiracy theories is not.

NJ-STEELER
05-03-2011, 10:36 PM

1. Black box amongst millions and millions of tons of debris....needle in a haystack.
2. The buildings didn't fall due to the impact of the jet, they fell due to the infrastructure of the building nearly melting from burning jet fuel, weakening the levels below, causing it to crumble not fall.

2. that must have been explained hundreds of times in news outlets at the time.

Chadman
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM

AzStillers1989
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD06SAf0p9A

World Trade Center 7 ... Not hit by a plane .... Fell in 7 seconds .....

This back and forth hating on one another is very dumb.... I understand everyone has an emotional attachment to their beliefs from that day but to be totally stuck and un willing to open there eyes to the physics and the many many suspicious actions prior to and after that day is down right ignorant.

We have lost many many young men and women over that day .... One thing people forget is that many of the people who started the 9/11 truth movement are family members of fire fighters, civilians, police officers, etc.. who lost there lives that tragic day....

begin opening your eyes here ae911truth.org ....

Google the New World Order and the Bilderberg Group ....

open you eyes and free your mind

birtikidis
05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
^ ok morpheus

AzStillers1989
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
^ ok morpheus

:Agree

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Mendenhall quote: "We'll never know what really happened. I'm not convinced bin Laden was even behind the attacks, we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us."

Actually, we do know what happened Mendy. Terrorists hijacked airplanes loaded with jet fuel and used them as missiles and successfully hit two of their targets. Bin Laden took full credit for the 9/11 attacks that sent thousands of Americans to their deaths and stated the resulting damage that was caused exceeded even his own expectations.

And yes Rashard, a large jet loaded with fuel absolutely could wipe out a skyscraper.
Unfortunately, and sadly, it's not that complicated to understand.

It's one thing to debate the effects of America's Middle East policies over the decades and how some of those policies haven't been in our country's best interests but it's another to join ranks with 9/11 conspiracy theorists at a sensitive time when many Americans, including those who lost loved ones, have been reminded of the horror of 9/11.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
show me the plane that hit #7 and i will gladly shut the hell up.

smoking gun.

operation vigilant guardian anyone???

insanesteelersfan
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
LOL! :lol: I just heard a lady call in, and say the steelers should cut Mendenhall right away cause...Rashard was a MUSLIM name :wft I'm sure that will come as a surprise to Africans, cause I thought it originated there ? And I also thought it was basically the African way of saying Richard ? So Richard is Muslim ? :lol:

Lebsteel
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Mendenhall quote: "We'll never know what really happened. I'm not convinced bin Laden was even behind the attacks, we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us."

Actually, we do know what happened Mendy. Terrorists hijacked airplanes loaded with jet fuel and used them as missiles and successfully hit two of their targets. Bin Laden took full credit for the 9/11 attacks that sent thousands of Americans to their deaths and stated the resulting damage that was caused exceeded even his own expectations.

And yes Rashard, a large jet loaded with fuel absolutely could wipe out a skyscraper.
Unfortunately, and sadly, it's not that complicated to understand.

It's one thing to debate the effects of America's Middle East policies over the decades and how some of those policies haven't been in our country's best interests but it's another to join ranks with 9/11 conspiracy theorists at a sensitive time when many Americans, including those who lost loved ones, have been reminded of the horror of 9/11.

:Agree Hawaiian, thanks for bringing some rational/intelligent thought to this thread.

I'm looking forward to the next post when some of our really "smart" guys weigh in on "Man Never Walked on the Moon" followed by "Mahmoud Ahmadinejab...his story of how the 20th Century really happened."

ter1230_4
05-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Western civilization over the past 1000 years has left Arab civilization in the dust because Islam has held back Arab civilization, so Islamic extremists like OBL strike out at Western civilization out of frustration. There's your two sides : Western success, Arab failure.

If you honestly believe that jealousy of the success of Western civilisation was the root to all that has transpired, and that Islam has held back the arab civilisation from becoming more like Western society, I can't put into words the dismay I feel.

And I can't put into words how much I could care less about your dismay.

Lebsteel
05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Plenty of people willing to label others idiots for varying opinions....

first, Mendenhall amazed me with this ignorant comment:

"Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

then Mendy drew upon his extensive experience as a structural engineer to say that he had his doubts about our government's version of what happened to the World Trade Center:

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/assets_c/2011/05/rashb-thumb-450x203-112462.png

Mendenhall may be an intelligent person, but these two comments were really stupid.

Those tweets by Mendenhall are two of the most ignorant, mentally-deficient statements that I have ever heard. Wow! He has the right to say whatever he wants, but by doing so he simply proved how incredibly stupid he is to compare the atrocities of slavery to the NFL and to think, despite all the evidence provided by structural engineers, that the towers could not have been brought down by burning jet fuel.

ter1230_4
05-03-2011, 11:54 PM
It's a good thing that Mendenhall gets paid for playing football, not for thinking.

flippy
05-03-2011, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD06SAf0p9A

World Trade Center 7 ... Not hit by a plane .... Fell in 7 seconds .....

This back and forth hating on one another is very dumb.... I understand everyone has an emotional attachment to their beliefs from that day but to be totally stuck and un willing to open there eyes to the physics and the many many suspicious actions prior to and after that day is down right ignorant.

We have lost many many young men and women over that day .... One thing people forget is that many of the people who started the 9/11 truth movement are family members of fire fighters, civilians, police officers, etc.. who lost there lives that tragic day....

begin opening your eyes here ae911truth.org ....

Google the New World Order and the Bilderberg Group ....

open you eyes and free your mind

There's loads of odd stuff that happened around 9/11. And I'm not really much of a conspiracy theorist, but I agree there's just too much physics that doesn't add up.

And the result of all of 9/11 was that Americans lost so many freedoms and personal liberties for the sake of our safety. It sounds like a very plausible motive for creating this fear.

Throughout history, people have fought countless wars over freedom. Millions of lives have been sacrificed throughout man's existence. In that grand context, a couple thousand lives in exchange for population control isn't that costly - from the man's perspective - not Flippy's perspective. I'm on the side of humanity, not our gov't.

I guess all I'm saying is I'd like to keep my head in the sand and just live out my life happy and ignorant. But when you start peeling back the layers of what happened, we have no idea what the truth is in this case. It's scary as heck when you really think about it.

Chadman
05-04-2011, 12:04 AM

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
The events of 9/11- the flights, World Trade Center etc, are really not debatable. The facts are pretty convincing, with a few minor irregularities, certainly. But what transpired is pretty much what was witnessed. If Mendy wants to question that- that's for him to do. And Twitter gives everyone a voice, whether you like it or not.

To crucify him for his thoughts & beliefs is a bit rich.

I am holding Mendy accountable for his irresponsible statement of:

"I'm not convinced bin Laden was even behind the attacks, we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us."

yes, Mendy has the right to say it...and I have the right to think he's wrong for saying it. Bin Laden readily accepted responsibility for masterminding 9/11, to think otherwise is just plain absurd.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Tuesday, May 3, 2011

#thinking about Rashard Mendenhall.

With most people in this world, I tend to agree with some of what a person has to say and disagree with other things. Pitttsburgh Steelers running-back Rashard Mendenhall can be Example A of that this week.

On his Twitter account just yesterday, Mendenhall openly expressed his opinion on the death of Osama Bin Laden and even questioned if 9/11 actually happened. His tweets were controversial and just because he happens to play for my favorite team does not mean I am going to defend him. I do want to fully analyze everything he had to say though, not just pick and choose what could make a good news story.

"What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side..."

First off, I am pretty sure we knew Osama Bin Laden's side. He made video tapes talking about wanting to destroy America and such. We have heard him and what he had to say is that he wanted us all dead. Bottomline.
As for the celebration of death, I have mixed feelings. I am glad Bin Laden's evil has been removed from the world, but I also do not feel it is always up to us to make decisions on who lives and who dies.

Even though that seemed like enough to stir the pot, Rashard takes this a little further and it even personally offended me.

(In regards to 9/11) "We'll never know what really happened, I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."

Questioning the happens of one the most tragic events in the history of our country is one the most absurd things I have heard in a very long time. I would like Mendenhall to go up to someone who lost a brother or sister that day and make that statement. The people directly affected by that day know what happened because they no longer have someone they loved here on this earth. If the plane did not do it Rashard, who did?

Either way you look at it, people died from this event and saying that "We'll never know what really happened," just means you are judging the very source it came from.

Then Mendenhall pulls out the big guns and starts using religion and the topic of judgement to try to get through to people.

"I believe in God. I believe we're ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge."

Fair enough, Rashard, but are you trying to tell me that your past two tweets were not judgmental and rude? Posing a question about people celebrating Osama's death is indirectly judging them. It is 100% fine to believe what you believe, but to put it on a very popular social media site and smack everyone in face, that is not an action that I feel is right.

"Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves."

The guy is really making himself look bad at this point.

"For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell and piss on his ashes, I ask how would God feel about your heart?"

Just like you said Rashard, one day we will all get asked this question. It is not up to you to judge whether I or anyone else want to throw Osama in a meat grinder or give him a Toosie Pop. Just shut up already.

"There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to #think"

This tweet, which the media has left out because it does not directly stir up controversy, is in a way the worst one of them all. It's a bit ironic because he claims to encourage us to think, but Twitter in itself does not. The old saying "Think before you speak" has kind of lost its luster since social media has hit the scene. Everyone is ignorant at times, for him to say that he did not have "an ignorant bone" in his body is just ridiculous.

This guy already agreed with Vikings RB Adrian Peterson when he said that the NFL is like "modern-day slavery". Give me a freaking break, call me when you work in fast food and get paid minimum wage and complain, not when you are at the tail end of a 5 year / $9,855,000 contract.

I am not sure what upsets me more at this point, the fumble that helped cost the Steelers the Super Bowl or these comments. I am leaning towards the latter.

So next time you sit at your computer or get on your iPhone to get on Twitter, I encourage you, Rashard: #think.

http://chadthesportsczar.blogspot.com/2 ... nhall.html (http://chadthesportsczar.blogspot.com/2011/05/thinking-about-rashard-mendenhall.html)

Discipline of Steel
05-04-2011, 07:29 AM
The events of 9/11- the flights, World Trade Center etc, are really not debatable. The facts are pretty convincing, with a few minor irregularities, certainly. But what transpired is pretty much what was witnessed. If Mendy wants to question that- that's for him to do. And Twitter gives everyone a voice, whether you like it or not.

The events leading up to 9/11- and not talking about days or weeks- the 80's, 90's & beyond- that is where the real debatable stuff is- and far too often, it's the most overlooked part of 9/11.

What Bin Laden did was dispicable, of that there is no doubt.

The important thing to do is to learn & understand the 'why' of it- otherwise we will forever face the chances of another 9/11 occuring.

It's important to question, and to learn, from this- or the lives of so many people, Americans, Spanish, English, Balinese, Australian, Iraqi & Afgans amongst others, are simply wasted.

Very nice Chadman :Clap

I have a feeling that Mendy was really trying to make a legitimate point. And his point is worth discussion....but the athletes dont realize the limitations of Twitter (short printed messages) when having an intellectual conversation. It just isnt the correct medium for a conversation that requires give and take. And those conversations should really remain limited to the person you are seated across from, not the infinite reach of the internets where 50% of millions of people will automatically misconstrue what you say with little opportunity for rebuttal.

Again the Ruthlessburgher equation applies:

Athlete + Twitter = Trainwreck

Notleadpoisoned
05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
If I had fumbled the football at a critical time during the Super Bowl I'd probably be hiding in a cave somewhere in Pakistan during the offseason instead of Tweeting ignorant nonsense from the comforts of my mansion.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Wow..Did this thread jump since I last viewed.

I think we are getting off course. I voiced my opinion on Mendenhall. But I think people in here are starting to run up the Amercian flag before the realize this is a Steelers forum.

Bottom line, I don't care if Mendenhall has a different opinion than me. He can have his own opinion, his own beliefs, and live in his own little world of conspiracy. I am a Steelers fan. Opening your mouth to bring negative publicity to your self is not something the Rooney's tolerate and that is something that many Steeler fans share. It was the forum he should have used to voice his opinion. He should not have made that opinion public nor some of his statements. Just like we all crucified BB for putting himself in thsoe situation because of his status. It's America, yes, but "He has to use better judgement because of who he is." Guess what...That is exactly what holds true here too.

Do you really think NOBODY else shares his opinion? Do you really think NOBODY else in the NFL thinks like him? DO you really think NOBODY in this league had neagtive things to say about BB and what happened? Time & place people. If you are that naive not to realize that everyone can not behave in the same manor simply because they are an American, than your are gullible enough to be deceived. Mendenhall has made a mistake. The mistake isn't about his opinion or his beliefs...It is about his decision to make them public knowing they would be controversial as an NFL player. Why do I & so many others care in this forum? It is magnified because he is a Steeler. Knowing the Rooney's association with the governement, the Steelers good name, and their display of Patriotism & support for our troops...He may have very well put his status of a "Steeler" in jeopardy for the long term.

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
show me the plane that hit #7 and i will gladly shut the hell up.

smoking gun.

operation vigilant guardian anyone???

BBC News... 5 of the 19 hijackers still alive. :stirpot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1559151.stm

SteelBucks
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM

I am holding Mendy accountable for his irresponsible statement of:

"I'm not convinced bin Laden was even behind the attacks, we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us."

yes, Mendy has the right to say it...and I have the right to think he's wrong for saying it. Bin Laden readily accepted responsibility for masterminding 9/11, to think otherwise is just plain absurd.

+1

Eich
05-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Mendy has diarrhea of the mouth er... keyboard:
http://thatschurch.com/2011/05/02/dear- ... t-part-ii/ (http://thatschurch.com/2011/05/02/dear-rashard-delete-your-twitter-account-part-ii/)

-Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other

-Women are some of the most SELFISH creatures I know!

-Going down on your man IS optional. It's either gonna be you, OR some other chick.

-Whenever you see a man and wonder "why hes with her?" it's cause she do things that you won't!

-Women, if you don't #respect your man someone else will.

And he's telling other people to THINK first !

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 09:06 AM
What did you think when the plane hit the Tower

"I saw it and thought, that is one dumb pilot."

-W.

:lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
What did you think when the plane hit the Tower

"I saw it and thought, that is one dumb pilot."

-W.

:lol:

I remember that too. I was at work and someone told me a plane flew into the Trade Center. It was just a casual statement between friends / co workers. I though the same thing. While I continued to work, I heard a second hit. I remember the moment I heard the second hit vividly. Everything got silent and nobody said anything for several seconds. Then the "What the F@ck!" and the "You gotta be F@cking Kid'n me?" Statements flew. We went to the breakroom to turn on the TV. Amazing how reality sets in that suddenly and you find yourself questioning in your mind if this is real or am I sleeping. The day just seemed to stop and revolve around the whole incident from that moment on.

Oviedo
05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Beating a dead horse.

Mendenhall was stupid. That's what this is. A person doing something very stupid. Not sure it really deserves to have a life of its own.

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Jessica Lynch was a hero who unloaded her weapon until she was captured. They made a movie about it...

She said her gun jammed and she never fired a single shot...

Is it really wrong for a guy to have some skepticism? :stirpot

Notleadpoisoned
05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Rashard Bin Ladenhall

Shoe
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
If I felt that my government was guilty of doing an attack like 9-11 on my fellow citizens, I don't know if I would be able to just go about my daily nine-to-five existence.

As far back as 1962, YOUR government has had operation proposals by the CIA and in the hands of the Secretary of Defense that specifically outlined an op that almost describes to a Tee, the 911 attacks.

Basically, the proposal called for people to be killed under the guise of "terror". It specifically mentioned bombings (blamed on someone), plane hijackings, etc. Again--all of this is documented. This IS NOT me interpreting it in a certain way.

The President at the time personally rejected the idea. And coincidentally or not, he was killed. If you take all that as fact (as I believe it is)... and if you did undergo an overthrow of the govt (by means of assassination), is it out of the realm of possibility that something like this drafted proposal was pushed through and implemented?

One can EASILY look at events of the time and make a parallel with the operation orders that I mention, and conclude that YOUR government can & has conducted acts like this easily and readily. EASILY.

Shoe
05-04-2011, 10:47 AM

They aren't?

The other point I wanted to make, like a few others on here, is WTC7. I don't want to get into the other aspects (of the so-called conspiracy theorist sect), but WTC7 has to be explained. I am dumbfounded, how independant thinking adults, can look at the footage of that building dropping like it did, and have no pause to think &/or question the explanation given by the gov't (which BTW, has an extremely poor/unsavory track record). It sort of reminds me of the Zapruder film, where anyone with two eyes can see which way the President's head goes--yet they accept the government's explanation for it.

It's really dumbfounding.

insanesteelersfan
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Very good article below from Nina Amir of the Jewish Issues Examiner,

http://www.examiner.com/jewish-issues-i ... l-s-tweets (http://www.examiner.com/jewish-issues-in-national/the-biggest-news-since-bin-laden-s-death-mendenhall-s-tweets)

ikestops85
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM

They aren't?

The other point I wanted to make, like a few others on here, is WTC7. I don't want to get into the other aspects (of the so-called conspiracy theorist sect), but WTC7 has to be explained. I am dumbfounded, how independant thinking adults, can look at the footage of that building dropping like it did, and have no pause to think &/or question the explanation given by the gov't (which BTW, has an extremely poor/unsavory track record). It sort of reminds me of the Zapruder film, where anyone with two eyes can see which way the President's head goes--yet they accept the government's explanation for it.

Try understanding it from the Fire Departments point of view ... unless Bush let them in on the conspiracy.

WTC 7 Conspiracy Theory Debunked (http://www.debunking911.com/pull.htm)

Lebsteel
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM

They aren't?

Not dumbounding at all...read the extensive article from the National Institute of Standards and Technology: http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/fact ... 082108.cfm (http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/factsheet/wtc_qa_082108.cfm)

Do you find yourself listening to Ahmadinejab and thinking he may be right? :shock:

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 12:50 PM

As far back as 1962, YOUR government has had operation proposals by the CIA and in the hands of the Secretary of Defense that specifically outlined an op that almost describes to a Tee, the 911 attacks.

Basically, the proposal called for people to be killed under the guise of "terror". It specifically mentioned bombings (blamed on someone), plane hijackings, etc. Again--all of this is documented. This IS NOT me interpreting it in a certain way.

The President at the time personally rejected the idea. And coincidentally or not, he was killed. If you take all that as fact (as I believe it is)... and if you did undergo an overthrow of the govt (by means of assassination), is it out of the realm of possibility that something like this drafted proposal was pushed through and implemented?

One can EASILY look at events of the time and make a parallel with the operation orders that I mention, and conclude that YOUR government can & has conducted acts like this easily and readily. EASILY.

John F. Kennedy's speech on April 27, 1961...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYfeYhQ9eU&feature=related

JAR
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Just like i said, he WAS thinking, just not the way some people think he should think.

Rashard Mendenhall Clarifies Tweets

From his website:

I appreciate those of you who have decided to read this letter and attain a greater understanding of my recent twitter posts. I see how they have gotten misconstrued, and wanted to use this outlet as a way to clear up all things that do not truthfully represent myself, what I stand for personally, and any organization that I am a part of. First, I want people to understand that I am not in support of Bin Laden, or against the USA. I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war. Last year, I was grateful enough to have the opportunity to travel over seas and participate in a football camp put on for the children of US troops stationed in Germany. It was a special experience. These events have had a significant impact in my life.

'What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...'

This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder. I don't believe that this is an issue of politics or American pride; but one of religion, morality, and human ethics. In the bible, Ezekiel 33:11 states, 'Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!.... I wasn't questioning Bin Laden?s evil acts. I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man's death. Nothing I said was meant to stir up controversy. It was my way to generate conversation. In looking at my timeline in its entirety, everything that I?ve said is with the intent of expressing a wide array of ideas and generating open and honest discussions, something I believe we as American citizens should be able to do. Most opinions will not be fully agreed upon and are not meant to be. However, I believe every opinion should be respected or at least given some thought. I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.

It was only meant to encourage anyone reading it to think.

Steelgal
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Clarification of Mendenhalls twitter statements on his blogpage http://r34mendenhall.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 I appreciate those of you who have decided to read this letter and attain a greater understanding of my recent twitter posts. I see how they have gotten misconstrued, and wanted to use this outlet as a way to clear up all things that do not truthfully represent myself, what I stand for personally, and any organization that I am a part of.
First, I want people to understand that I am not in support of Bin Laden, or against the USA. I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war. Last year, I was grateful enough to have the opportunity to travel over seas and participate in a football camp put on for the children of US troops stationed in Germany. It was a special experience. These events have had a significant impact in my life.

“What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...”

This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder. I don’t believe that this is an issue of politics or American pride; but one of religion, morality, and human ethics. In the bible, Ezekiel 33:11 states, “Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!...”. I wasn’t questioning Bin Laden’s evil acts. I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death.
Nothing I said was meant to stir up controversy. It was my way to generate conversation. In looking at my timeline in its entirety, everything that I’ve said is with the intent of expressing a wide array of ideas and generating open and honest discussions, something I believe we as American citizens should be able to do. Most opinions will not be fully agreed upon and are not meant to be. However, I believe every opinion should be respected or at least given some thought. I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.

insanesteelersfan
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Clarification of Mendenhalls twitter statements on his blogpage http://r34mendenhall.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 I appreciate those of you who have decided to read this letter and attain a greater understanding of my recent twitter posts. I see how they have gotten misconstrued, and wanted to use this outlet as a way to clear up all things that do not truthfully represent myself, what I stand for personally, and any organization that I am a part of.
First, I want people to understand that I am not in support of Bin Laden, or against the USA. I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war. Last year, I was grateful enough to have the opportunity to travel over seas and participate in a football camp put on for the children of US troops stationed in Germany. It was a special experience. These events have had a significant impact in my life.

“What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...”

This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder. I don’t believe that this is an issue of politics or American pride; but one of religion, morality, and human ethics. In the bible, Ezekiel 33:11 states, “Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!...”. I wasn’t questioning Bin Laden’s evil acts. I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death.
Nothing I said was meant to stir up controversy. It was my way to generate conversation. In looking at my timeline in its entirety, everything that I’ve said is with the intent of expressing a wide array of ideas and generating open and honest discussions, something I believe we as American citizens should be able to do. Most opinions will not be fully agreed upon and are not meant to be. However, I believe every opinion should be respected or at least given some thought. I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.

I appreciate Rashard trying to explain himself. But if he is so Christian. And put ABSOLUTE belief in everything it says, then why did he agree and stand up with Peterson in that Slavery comment ?.....when truth be told,,,Rashard should quit the league, and become an ACTUAL Slave. I mean, doesn't the BIBLE say that as well Rashard ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Titus 2:9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

First rule of Life Rashard, you can't believe, and hold one particular passage of the bible without absolutely BELIVE and HOLD all of them. So I guess I can expect to see Mendenhall quit his job that pays him Millions,,,and then chage his name to Kunta Kinte really soon. And start working in the fields.....right ?

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 02:04 PM

I appreciate Rashard trying to explain himself. But if he is so Christian. And put ABSOLUTE belief in everything it says, then why did he agree and stand up with Peterson in that Slavery comment ?.....when truth be told,,,Rashard should quit the league, and become an ACTUAL Slave. I mean, doesn't the BIBLE say that as well Rashard ?

Titus 2:9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them

1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

First rule of Life Rashard, you can't believe, and hold one particular passage of the bible without absolutely BELIVE and HOLD all of them. So I guess I can expect to see Mendenhall quit his job that pays him Millions,,,and then chage his name to Kunta Kinte really soon. And start working in the fields.....right ?

insane indeed...

insanesteelersfan
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM

insane indeed...

Felt,,,why ? I mean is it okay then to just cherry-pick the parts of the Holy Bible that best suit your arguements ?

AzStillers1989
05-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Google : Operation Northwoods

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
So I guess I can expect to see Mendenhall quit his job that pays him Millions,,,and then change his name to Kunta Kinte really soon. And start working in the fields.....right ?

you can barely tell them apart... :D

http://photos.essence.com/system/images/gallery/000/626/443/full/AP070726049458.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_APo7y8gj1NA/SlVWp_t8OkI/AAAAAAAABDc/6M0wdd8DI6Q/s400/kunta-kinte.jpg

flippy
05-04-2011, 02:43 PM

insane indeed...

Felt,,,why ? I mean is it okay then to just cherry-pick the parts of the Holy Bible that best suit your arguements ?

I suspect most people of supreme faith haven't read the entire Bible. I further suspect if they have, they don't understand it all and take the majority out of context of the time and people to whom it was written.

And why can't one like some parts of the Bible and not others?

IMHO, some stories are great and there's loads of lessons that can be learned. But some stories are downright crazy. I know I'm guilty of picking and choosing concepts that seem relevant while disregarding others that don't seem relevant. This seems rational to me.

Whether you believe in God or not, the Bible is a quality read. Even without God, the book can be transformative, instructing, and usefully applicable to experiences we have in life.

Why not take and use the interesting pieces that resonate with you. And disregard others that don't have meaning to you.

I don't see Rashard's comments as all that big a deal. But the reaction is even more interesting and telling. As a collective group, people don't want to think for themselves. Just think whatever we are told to think collectively. And questioning anything that the consensus agrees with is a bad idea.

We're like a bunch of grumpy old men set in our ways. I guess it's scary to question your core values and beliefs. I wish more people were open to it.

But on the flip side, if we were more open to other thoughts, we'd probably be broke, homeless, philosophers with no direction in our lives. So I see the value in taking a position and sticking to it. It's how we create purpose and meaning for ourselves when the reality is there is none that we can likely begin to comprehend.

RussBII
05-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't read this entire thread... nor will I:

I'm just gonna go with the good old:

Who gives a flying f*ck what he said on Twitter? Or what he believes?

Harrison beat his wife/exwife/babys mama, whoever it was..
Ben... well... Ben's done all sorts of stupid stuff...
Joey Porter's dogs killed a horse
Ernie Holmes shot at a Police helicopter...

This is getting so much attention right now it's laughable.

These guys are human. They have thoughts and opiniona, stupid and smart. I don't care one lick what they believe. If Troy P. was a member of the Church of Satan, I'm OK with it as long as his ankles and knees aren't affected in some way. These guys play football. Why do we even try to hold them some higher standard? Or any standard at all. There are a lot of truthers out there, and a lot of folks who don't believe in the moon landing. People who STILL believe Obama's not a citizen despite evidence... Screw it. Who cares...

The only thing i wish he could take back is that damned fumble in the Super Bowl.

(end communique)
(apologies if this stance had already been posted)

JAR
05-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I haven't read this entire thread... nor will I:

I'm just gonna go with the good old:

Who gives a flying f*ck what he said on Twitter? Or what he believes?

Harrison beat his wife/exwife/babys mama, whoever it was..
Ben... well... Ben's done all sorts of stupid stuff...
Joey Porter's dogs killed a horse
Ernie Holmes shot at a Police helicopter...

This is getting so much attention right now it's laughable.

These guys are human. They have thoughts and opiniona, stupid and smart. I don't care one lick what they believe. If Troy P. was a member of the Church of Satan, I'm OK with it as long as his ankles and knees aren't affected in some way. These guys play football. Why do we even try to hold them some higher standard? Or any standard at all. There are a lot of truthers out there, and a lot of folks who don't believe in the moon landing. People who STILL believe Obama's not a citizen despite evidence... Screw it. Who cares...

The only thing i wish he could take back is that damned fumble in the Super Bowl.

(end communique)
(apologies if this stance had already been posted)

:Cheers Really, just because these guys play football doesn't mean they have to live the lives of Monks. It's disturbing to think there are people who think they should.

insanesteelersfan
05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Flippy I never saw his comments as being too big a deal to warrant his reply. But, as a man of faith. And who lives his everyday life according to the Bible and the word of God. You cannot take segments out of it, and then try to excuse other segments that you don't agree with, like the above parts I mentioned. Of course slavery was horrific, and it should have never exsisted. But that's my point. At the time when the Bible was first PRINTED,,,not written cause we still have no actual proof that ANY of it ever happened. But at that time, slavery WAS a everyday part of life. And that's why I think alot of it is in the Bible today. Cause way way back then, they who actually wrote the Bible thought it would be around, well forever flippy. And that's why it's in there. But, if a person like Mendenhall is gonna continue to expond on Bible verses. He'd better prepare himself to defend ALL aspects of it.

I just wish he would have stayed quiet. And not explain anything to those out there in the world who have no direct involvement with him. And then just explain it in private to his teammates and coaches later on. He owed nothing to us.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
So I guess I can expect to see Mendenhall quit his job that pays him Millions,,,and then change his name to Kunta Kinte really soon. And start working in the fields.....right ?

http://photos.essence.com/system/images/gallery/000/626/443/full/AP070726049458.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_APo7y8gj1NA/SlVWp_t8OkI/AAAAAAAABDc/6M0wdd8DI6Q/s400/kunta-kinte.jpg

FWP = Kunta Kinte???

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 03:04 PM

FWP = Kunta Kinte???

like I said, you can barely tell FWP, Mendy and Kunta Kinte apart... :D

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7451/bscap0020qh61.jpghttp://tomkolovos.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/rashard_mendenhall-229x300.jpg?w=229&h=300http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/willie-parker-pittsburgh-steelers-super-bowl-td-run-back-view-autographed-photograph-3353569.jpg

Oviedo
05-04-2011, 03:06 PM
He is young and dumb. He is not the first, nor the last, "celebrity" to stick his foot in his mouth via the web. I think he poorly articulated a point of view that no matter how uninformed or stupid others share with him.

I could really care less about what he puts on twitter or Facebook or whatever. I do care about him getting 4 yards per carry. Hopefully he focuses on that and not making himself out to be an idiot in the future. Hopefully his agent shuts down his Twitter because like many athletes he really shouldn't have one.

flippy
05-04-2011, 03:08 PM

FWP = Kunta Kinte???

like I said, you can barely tell FWP, Mendy and Kunta Kinte apart... :D

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7451/bscap0020qh61.jpghttp://tomkolovos.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/rashard_mendenhall-229x300.jpg?w=229&h=300http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/willie-parker-pittsburgh-steelers-super-bowl-td-run-back-view-autographed-photograph-3353569.jpg

Next you're gonna tell us Troy and Kemo look like Ghengis Khan. Or that Dick Lebeau looks like Joseph Stalin. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't be silly. Stalin and Khan have mustaches. Sheesh. :lol:

flippy
05-04-2011, 03:15 PM

I think I was mixing up Ghengis and Chaka again :)

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Next you're gonna tell us Troy and Kemo look like Ghengis Khan. Or that bad word Lebeau looks like Joseph Stalin. ;)

no, but D!ck Lebeau does look like Genghis Khan... :D

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/panasia/aj6293/genghis_khan.jpghttp://cotytarrproofs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CotyTarr-LeBeau.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 03:18 PM

I feel for you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5GVEFZsYNYQ/Tb3GjdvvgsI/AAAAAAAAAD0/5WEyASV5ozg/s1600/chaka-khan.jpg

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/troyhair.jpg

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/91062977.jpg

flippy
05-04-2011, 03:21 PM

I feel for you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5GVEFZsYNYQ/Tb3GjdvvgsI/AAAAAAAAAD0/5WEyASV5ozg/s1600/chaka-khan.jpg

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/91062977.jpg

I feel like such a Rufus.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM

I feel for you.

I feel like such a Rufus.

In the midst of a topic filled with nothing but negativity, I can always count on flippy to Tell Me Something Good. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
When Kemo takes another boneheaded penalty, though, he reminds me more of a different Chaka...

http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/lost/land22/3.jpg

http://mollyyanity.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/chris_kemoeatu-01.jpg

sentinel33
05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
We are so quick to judge others.

I feel that over the past couple of months mendenhall has personally experienced some things that have had an impact on him. Unfortunately, the young kid isn't at the stage in his life where he can accurately express what he is feeling without stepping on his own d!ck.

The clarification and apology, to me, seemed sincere and I understand where he was coming from.

Sadly, the damage has been done. I think his agent, his PR squad and some other qualified people should have a sit down with Rashard and explain to the young buck not to be so quick to fire off your feelings in a statement while under such intense emotion.

I don't think mendenhall is a bad guy. Never have. Even after his comments about the NFL having parallels with slavery(which I thought were juvenile). But that's just my point. He's still a young man and these things that are happening are,hopefully, things he will learn from.

I get what he was trying to say now and I agree with him. As a people of this country, we were no better than them who celebrated when they hit us on 9/11.

as far as his comment about understanding OBL and getting his side of the story-I don't get that. I think it was made pretty clear by OBL his position towards the US.

The guy obviously has a strong Faith which he takes very seriously. His emotional outbreak stemmed from this and when that happens you are immediately on a very slippery slope.

I hope he learns from all of this and becomes a better man because of it.

And yeah, I know people will never forgive him for what he said. And that is just another link in the chain of unfortunates that go along with this.

Ghost
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I read his "clarification". I'll chalk a lot of it up to youth, but Mendy is NO WHERE NEAR as intelligent and thought provoking as he thinks he is. I'm surprised he hasn't broken his arm yet patting himself on his back. It'd be great to not hear anything out of him the rest of the summer that isn't directly related to him carrying the ball for the Steelers come September.

sentinel33
05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I can go along with that ghost.

Probably be the best thing for him. Stay low and do all of your talking with your ability. That alone will help him. Look what it did for Ben.

Chadman
05-04-2011, 05:49 PM

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
The great thing about this country is freedom of speech. Half the people bashing Mendenhall are questioning if we reallly killed Osama or if the President is a real citizen.

How come Mend gets the eternal flame but Lindsey Graham, Hannity, Rush and half the country are doubting the report of his death?

Americans are a funny bunch.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
The great thing about this country is freedom of speech. Half the people bashing Mendenhall are questioning if we reallly killed Osama or if the President is a real citizen.

How come Mend gets the eternal flame but Lindsey Graham, Hannity, Rush and half the country are doubting the report of his death?

I am questioning Mendy's comment of:

Bin Laden has openly bragged about masterminding 9/11 and how the damage that was caused and the amount of deaths exceeded his own most optimistic expectations. to not be convinced that bin Laden was behind the attacks is being pretty ignorant of the facts.

SteelBucks
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

I'm a conservative and I believe Bin Laden is dead, the President is an American, man landed on the moon, Lee Harvey acted alone, and Mendenhall is an idiot. Free speech or not, right or wrong, Mendenhall represents the Steelers and should be held to a higher standard. (Don't even get me started on his "slave" tweet.)

You're right though, we are a funny bunch! :wink:

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2011, 08:07 PM
On Mendenhall, Ryan Clark says “social media is ruining the world”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ryanclarkjan23getty.jpg?w=250

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall created a storm of controversy with a string of Twitter messages posted Monday. His first teammate to publicly address the situation was safety Ryan Clark.

Clark joined Jason Horowitz and Steve Phillips of SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio on Wednesday to discuss the controversy.

Clark’s message? “My first reaction to it really is that social media is ruining the world.”

He felt strongly enough about that statement to repeat it a while later. “Social media is ruining the world,” Clark said. “Facebook and Twitter are probably going to be responsible for more divorces than infidelity coming up here soon.”

At the risk of breaking out the “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” bumper sticker, the reality is that social media is merely the conduit through which folks can say things that will get them in trouble. As I stress to my son at least once a week, anything he says on Twitter or Facebook can come back to haunt him. Though, in the grand scheme of things, Mendenhall isn’t much older than my son, Mendenhall is an adult — and adults should be expected to realize the practical consequences of making statements in places where they can be read by anyone and everyone.

That said, Clark stopped short of criticizing Mendenhall for his views. “I guess he’s entitled to his opinion,” Clark said. “He didn’t claim that those opinions were shared by anyone else but himself. That was what he chose to put out there. I knew he was going to catch a lot of flak for it, I knew there was going to be a lot of backlash toward those comments, but he’s entitled to put whatever he wants to put on his Twitter page. The thing you have to know these days, though, if you do put those type of things out there, people are going to comment on them. It’s going to make news. It’s going to be a big deal when you do something that controversial. A long as he can stand by his statements then he’s free to do whatever he wants.”

Clark also seems resigned to the possibility that Mendenhall’s career with the Steelers could be impacted in a negative way by his comments.

“We play a game where contracts really only have to be honored by the players signing them,” Clark said. “The teams that you play for do not have to honor those contracts. So it would be nothing that we could do. We’d have to accept and respect the Rooneys’ thought process in that and their decision. I would be extremely disappointed if that is the case. I don’t see this as a legal issue. Rashard Mendenhall wasn’t the guy on those planes. Rashard Mendenhall was not wreaking havoc and terrorizing our American people. Rashard Mendenhall made an unpopular comment. Rashard Mendenhall had an opportunity to tweet something because of the way social media works that maybe wasn’t in the best interests of him or our organization.”

No matter how it all turns out, we hope other athletes learn from Mendenhall’s misadventures.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... the-world/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/04/on-mendenhall-ryan-clark-says-social-media-is-ruining-the-world/)

feltdizz
05-04-2011, 08:55 PM

I'm a conservative and I believe Bin Laden is dead, the President is an American, man landed on the moon, Lee Harvey acted alone, and Mendenhall is an idiot. Free speech or not, right or wrong, Mendenhall represents the Steelers and should be held to a higher standard. (Don't even get me started on his "slave" tweet.)

Be careful using that term... there is always someone more conservative than you who will call you a lib loving communist if you don't agree with them 100% of the time.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Be careful using that term... there is always someone more conservative than you who will call you a lib loving communist if you don't agree with them 100% of the time.
Lib loving commies... :x :lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm in full agreement with Kevin Colbert here, Mendy's comments were definitely "ill-advised"...

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Steelers Kevin Colbert Calls Rashard Mendenhall Comments Ill-advised

Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert was on “Movin' The Chains” on Sirius NFL Radio this afternoon to talk to Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan about the Steelers draft this past weekend. After discussing Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen and Chris Carter, Ryan asked the thoughts of Colbert regarding the recent capture and killing of Osama bin Laden. Colbert said the event was a great moment for our country, for our President, for our government and our military and anybody that works in the field of bringing down terrorism. Colbert called it great moment in American history and that everyone will remember where they were when they heard about it.

Ryan pressed Colbert further for his thoughts on the recent comments made by running back Rashard Mendenhall on Twitter and Colbert said it is obviously not an opinion that is shared by the Steelers organization and that goes without question. Colbert went on to say that the unfortunate part is that during the lockout they can't have communication with any of the players to discuss these types of issues. Colbert ended by saying that in his opinion and the organizations opinion, the comments by Mendenhall were ill-advised and that right now there is just nothing they can do about it.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/st ... l-advised/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/steelers-kevin-colbert-calls-rashard-mendenhall-comments-ill-advised/)

Shoe
05-05-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm in full agreement with Kevin Colbert here, Mendy's comments were definitely "ill-advised"...

Not jumping on you here, but: Who the hell cares what some corporate yes-man says? Not to say Kevin Colbert is anything either, but NO person who makes his/her living from the teet of a corporation is... by definition, going to give the most vanilla answer possible. So to cite anyone from an "official" position (I guess I should use that term instead of corporate) means nothing.

The opinions of those in official capacities... and that pretty much includes our politicians, sadly... mean nothing.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 01:12 AM

Not jumping on you here, but: Who the hell cares what some corporate yes-man says? Not to say Kevin Colbert is anything either, but NO person who makes his/her living from the teet of a corporation is... by definition, going to give the most vanilla answer possible. So to cite anyone from an "official" position (I guess I should use that term instead of corporate) means nothing.

The opinions of those in official capacities... and that pretty much includes our politicians, sadly... mean nothing.

I thought Kevin Colbert's comments were relevant seeing as how he is only the Steelers Director of Football Operations.

sorry you don't agree...

BradshawsHairdresser
05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I think Hines Ward's views on the matter would be relevant, since he is becoming a cultural icon and, in the opinion of many, is the closest thing the NFL has to a terrorist...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-05-2011, 09:08 AM
And there goes to show you how people are "running up the American flag" on all this. Issue is not his opinion, beliefs, or his freedom of speech. Issue is he is a player in the NFL, a public figure for a team in the NFL, more importantly to all of us...A Pittsburgh Steeler. I said there would be an issue and it appears he has created "mumblings". You don't open your mouth like that. What comes out of his mouth is viewed differently than what comes out of mine, or yours, or anyone sitting next to you.

I'm an educated man like the rest of you. If you don't see the problem with Rashard Mendenhall of the Pittsburgh Steelers saying those comments, than you are not an educated man. You are one who believes things are always black & white and everything & everyone can be accounted as simply wrong or right based upon principal and not who you are. "Because it is written" does not apply in the real world. I could care less if Rashard Mendenhall the graphic designer had Tweeted & cursed America for celebrating the execution of Bin Laden, felt 9/11 was a conspiracy, was against our soldiers, told a girl if she didn't want to go down on his man he wil find someone else that will, etc. I could care less if that was his opnion and he made it public. But that is not who he is. The problem created isn't about "What"...It is about "Who".

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
"I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name. It was only meant to encourage anyone reading it to think."

"I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war."

-- Rashard Mendenhall

Much better. Use you head next time.

feltdizz
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I could care less if Rashard Mendenhall the graphic designer had Tweeted & cursed America for celebrating the execution of Bin Laden, felt 9/11 was a conspiracy, was against our soldiers, told a girl if she didn't want to go down on his man he wil find someone else that will, etc. I could care less if that was his opnion and he made it public. But that is not who he is. The problem created isn't about "What"...It is about "Who".

I'm a graphic designer, have questions about 9/11 and believe what your woman won't do another will... don't be scared to say my name if you are talking about me. I can't help that I'm an educated conspiracy theorist who loves God but doesn't believe everything printed in a king james revised bible who likes to get his freak on from time to time.

...and I AM SOMEBODY DAMMIT! :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I could care less if Rashard Mendenhall the graphic designer had Tweeted & cursed America for celebrating the execution of Bin Laden, felt 9/11 was a conspiracy, was against our soldiers, told a girl if she didn't want to go down on his man he wil find someone else that will, etc. I could care less if that was his opnion and he made it public. But that is not who he is. The problem created isn't about "What"...It is about "Who".

I'm a graphic designer, have questions about 9/11 and believe what your woman won't do another will... don't be scared to say my name if you are talking about me. I can't help that I'm an educated conspiracy theorist who loves God but doesn't believe everything printed in a king james revised bible who likes to get his freak on from time to time.

...and I AM SOMEBODY DAMMIT! :D
I'm sure you get the point. Graphic designer is what Mendenhall inspires to be. I belive in God but not the Church. I'm a Catholic and have my reasons. But my impure thoughts definately do no reflect the beliefs of most Catholics and I happen to agree 100% with Mendy's BJ comments!!!!!!! :twisted:

flippy
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
\ my impure thoughts definately do no reflect the beliefs of most Catholics

you clearly don't have much experience with Catholics :P

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
\ my impure thoughts definately do no reflect the beliefs of most Catholics

you clearly don't have much experience with Catholics :P

lmfao

Let's just clear it up...My impure thoughts don't involve alter boys. :D

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Will Champion fire endorser Rashard Mendenhall for bin Laden Tweets?

by USA Today
May. 04, 2011

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is under fire for his tweets about the death of terrorist Osama bin Laden Sunday. That’s raising the question whether the negative publicity will spur corporate sponsor Hanesbrands to dump him as an endorser for its Champion athletic brand.

Mendenhall’s corporate sponsor is running as fast as it can away from his tweets Monday in which the 23-year-old running back asked what kind of people would celebrate the death of bin Laden and questioned what really happened Sept. 11, 2001.

In an email, Champion spokesman Matt Hall said its “premature” to comment on plans with Mendenhall, who signed a four-year contract extension that takes him through 2015 as a Champion endorser.

“Our focus today is making sure that we communicate that Rashard Mendenhall’s personal opinions were not made on our behalf and do not reflect our views,” Hall said.

Earlier Wednesday, sports business reporter Michele Steele of Bloomberg TV tweeted a statement from Champion saying it “strongly” disagrees its embattled endorser who .

Mendenhall announced a three-year deal with Champion in 2008. The Steelers are also distancing themselves from the RB who issued a clarification of his comments Wednesday.

Said Champion:

Rashard Mendenhall does not speak for Champion when he expresses his opinions and viewpoints on his personal Twitter account. In fact, we strongly disagree with Mr. Mendenhall’s views on the war on terror. Champion supports the U.S. government’s efforts to eradicate terrorism and is sincerely grateful for the security provided by our Armed Forces and the sacrifices made by members of the military. We are also proud to support our own employees who are members of the National Guard and Armed Forces reserves. As a company with offices in New York City, we remember all too vividly the horror of September 11, and we continue to sympathize with the victims of September 11 and their families and friends. It is clear that many people strongly disagree with Mr. Mendenhall’s personal views on this highly sensitive and divisive subject. We respectfully count ourselves among them.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-spor ... en-tweets/ (http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-sports/2011/05/04/will-champion-fire-endorser-rashard-mendenhall-for-bin-laden-tweets/)

eniparadoxgma
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I think the kid is going to learn the hard way to think before he speaks.

feltdizz
05-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Mendenhall will probably keep his Champion contract but I'm sure he had to sign a new agreement to keep his tweets PC.

Steel Life
05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Don't know if this has been posted already (going thru 12 pages of commentary was daunting) but this seems to be the best description I've read about Mendy & the fallout...

From Yahoo Sports' Shutdown Corner:
"At the end of the day, this is just a guy who tweeted something unpopular. He did not punch anyone in the face. He did not get picked up for driving drunk. He was not arrested for domestic abuse. He did not have a gun in a night club, father 47 children by 39 women, obstruct justice, fight dogs, commit sexual assault or send anyone unwanted pictures of his genitals.

No, what he did was question the celebration of death and wonder if maybe the government wasn't telling the people the truth (others have also done this recently). Is that so bad?

I'm not defending what Mendenhall said. You don't have to like it. I personally don't happen to agree with him, but that doesn't mean I'm going to permanently label him as an evil dipstick, either. It's okay with me that not everyone is going to be John Cena about this.

Even if Mendenhall is wrong -- really, really wrong -- it doesn't make him a bad guy. In fact, at the core of what he said, there's a seed of love and compassion. He spoke against hate and judgment."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... frm_woah=1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Apparel-company-dumps-Mendenhall-over-bin-Laden-?urn=nfl-wp1880&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_nfl_experts&ysp_frm_woah=1)

feltdizz
05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Mendenhall will probably keep his Champion contract but I'm sure he had to sign a new agreement to keep his tweets PC.

I called it.... wrong :D

Eich
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't know if this has been posted already (going thru 12 pages of commentary was daunting) but this seems to be the best description I've read about Mendy & the fallout...

From Yahoo Sports' Shutdown Corner:
"At the end of the day, this is just a guy who tweeted something unpopular. He did not punch anyone in the face. He did not get picked up for driving drunk. He was not arrested for domestic abuse. He did not have a gun in a night club, father 47 children by 39 women, obstruct justice, fight dogs, commit sexual assault or send anyone unwanted pictures of his genitals.

No, what he did was question the celebration of death and wonder if maybe the government wasn't telling the people the truth (others have also done this recently). Is that so bad?

I'm not defending what Mendenhall said. You don't have to like it. I personally don't happen to agree with him, but that doesn't mean I'm going to permanently label him as an evil dipstick, either. It's okay with me that not everyone is going to be John Cena about this.

Even if Mendenhall is wrong -- really, really wrong -- it doesn't make him a bad guy. In fact, at the core of what he said, there's a seed of love and compassion. He spoke against hate and judgment."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... frm_woah=1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Apparel-company-dumps-Mendenhall-over-bin-Laden-?urn=nfl-wp1880&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_nfl_experts&ysp_frm_woah=1)

I don't think he's evil. I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't dislike him. But it's clear that Mendenhall isn't quite as smart as he thought he was... .unless he really doesn't want his endorsement deals and wanted out of the contracts.

It's perfectly fine for Mendy to have his questions and doubts. But it's pretty stupid to knee-jerk post his thoughts outloud on social media that reaces millions. Endorsment deals require that you endear yourself to the company's customers and potential customers. Writing controversial thoughts to the world doesn't quite accomplish that.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Cook: Steelers' Mendenhall has right to free speech

Friday, May 06, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I said it a year ago when a lot of people insisted they wouldn't support the Steelers as long as Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback. I'll say it again now when many want to chase running back Rashard Mendenhall out of town because he went public with an opinion that differed from theirs.

Be careful what you wish for, Steelers fans.

You might regret it later.

Not that Mendenhall is going anywhere.

Nor should he.

Sorry.

The Steelers will be right to stand behind Mendenhall, who shared his controversial Twitter thoughts Monday on Osama bin Laden's death and the 9/11 terrorist attacks, just as they stood behind Roethlisberger when he faced rape allegations last spring. It's because he's a star player, sure. He's on the verge of becoming a big-time NFL back. No one will argue that the team wouldn't cut the third-string guard if he did what Mendenhall did or, for that matter, faced the accusations that Roethlisberger did. The guard wouldn't be worth the headaches. No, releasing him for giving his opinion or facing unsubstantiated allegations wouldn't be fair or just. But since when did life become fair and just?

My guess is Steelers president Art Rooney II, who quickly distanced himself and the team from Mendenhall's comments, will call him into his office when the NFL lockout ends. He will tell him he appreciates his right to have an opinion, but that he should be a little more thoughtful and careful with expressing it, especially if it's going to put the organization in any kind of a bad light. I'm also guessing coach Mike Tomlin will share that same message with the team early in training camp and make sure the players understand that, although the new social media can be cool, it can be dangerous. Even in cyberspace, public figures are scrutinized every second of every day and have to live their life accordingly.

Then, Rooney and Tomlin will send Mendenhall out with instructions to run for 100 yards and three touchdowns in the opening game against the Baltimore Ravens on, coincidentally, Sept. 11.

If that happens and Mendenhall has a big game, he will be cheered the following Sunday at Heinz Field during the home opener against the Seattle Seahawks.

What?

Did you not see many of the same fans who wanted Roethlisberger gone cheer him when he played well last season?

Most fans -- I didn't say all -- will cheer just about anyone if he helps their team win.

I should say here I strongly disagree with Mendenhall's opinions, especially the one that questioned bin Laden's role in the 9/11 attacks. But I do respect his right to have that opinion. The last time I checked, this is America. One of the great things about our country is we're all entitled to our thoughts, even football players. That is one of our most precious freedoms.

I also respect Mendenhall for having the nerve to put his name on his beliefs. This Internet age would be such a better time if there were more people like him in that regard and fewer of the people who need the strength from anonymity to spout off their hurtful thoughts and opinions. They wouldn't be nearly so courageous without that anonymity. They are gutless, really.

Mendenhall clarified his Twitter remarks Wednesday, saying he wasn't anti-American or pro-bin Laden. He didn't say he regretted sharing his opinions, but he did apologize to anyone he might have offended. That was good enough for me. But for a lot of others? Not so much. They didn't buy Mendenhall's clarification. Not even when he stressed he was expressing his religious views, not his political views. That was a bit surprising to me because Mendenhall certainly isn't alone with those feelings. A lot of people of faith are struggling with the celebration of bin Laden's death. They recognized him as the face of evil on Earth, but they also have been taught through their religious training that all sins are forgivable. Those hardly are compatible feelings.

I know some people will never look at Mendenhall the same again, no matter how much clarifying he does. But it hardly means his Steelers career is finished or that he can't be a popular player here again, as many have suggested. I heard the same thing last year with Roethlisberger, although not nearly so much after he led the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Funny how that works, isn't it?

This Mendenhall storm, too, will pass.

There will be other controversies between now and the start of the NFL season, maybe even a few involving Steelers. I thought there was one Thursday when I saw a TMZ.com headline that blared, "NFL Star Hines Ward Handcuffed At Gunpoint!" It turned out that was the result of a misunderstanding after a traffic stop in Los Angeles. Ward soon was on his way, free to dance again. Of course, that doesn't mean one of his teammates won't be in the news today or next week or next month.

The point is it's May. The anger caused by Mendenhall's comments is fresh and real. His many critics are loud and unforgiving. But check back with me in September, especially if he gets off to a fast start against the Ravens and Seahawks. Tell me then how many critics he has. I don't think you'll have a hard time being heard over them.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11126/11 ... z1LbEEFJfO (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11126/1144461-87-0.stm#ixzz1LbEEFJfO)

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2011, 09:23 PM

No comment...

...other than this one.

feltdizz
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM

No comment...

...other than this one.

while he is down huh? :moon

Chadman
05-07-2011, 10:11 PM

hawaiiansteel
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Personally, the idea that Mendy could lose his endoresement deal, have his employer come out against him, have radio shows based on what he tweeted, and have a nation up in arms for SIMPLY THINKING DIFFERENT TO THE MASSES...
Is shameful.

freedom of speech is a two-way street, when Mendy expresses his freedom of speech and says things like:

other people have the right to exercise their freedom of speech and to express their opinions in return, especially the corporate sponsor who is paying Mendy to represent them.

there is nothing shameful about that whatsoever.

flippy
05-08-2011, 12:01 AM
As Americans (and this probably applies to many others around the world to differing degrees), we think we have freedoms, but we don't really have many.

At the end of the day, we're enslaved to money (and our stuff and lifesyle) for the most part. So most of us our controlled by those that control the money. So we're accountable for our opinions to those that pay us.

And it's hard in that context to really think/do differently than the majority. It would have been in Mendy's best interest not to tweet what he did. But if he believes what he said, good for him for speaking his mind. And doing so with the risk of losing an endorsement deal and getting black balled in the NFL.

It's almost a microcosm of Henry David Thoreau's Civil Disobedience to a lesser degree. Doing/saying what you believe even when it's not popular and accepting the consequences when you knew they wouldn't be easy is something some of the most memorable people in the history of the world have done - from Jesus to MLK Jr to Ghandi and on and on.

While so many condemn Twitter for causing problems for people, I think it has the opposite effect. It makes people real. And it makes them forget about selling out on their freedoms. It actually protects our freedoms. And the more real and truth we see in the world, the more we'll see human rights change in the world for the better. We're already starting to see this happen over the last 10 years in the middle east and africa. It's had a profound and lasting impact.

So I think we should avoid doing business with companies like Champion that want to take away a man's personal freedom. This has nothing to do with what Mendy said or didn't say. The bottom line is Champion is bartering money for freedom and that doesn't sit well with me.

hawaiiansteel
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
This has nothing to do with what Mendy said or didn't say.

I was actually agreeing with everything you were saying until you got to the above sentence...it has a lot to do with what Mendy said.

Lebsteel
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Flippy, think what you want, it is your right to do so. But, it had everything to do with what Mendy said. I applaud Champion for what they did. Mendy realizes he was in error, otherwise he wouldn't have issued a swift apology.

flippy
05-08-2011, 12:26 PM
This has nothing to do with what Mendy said or didn't say.

I was actually agreeing with everything you were saying until you got to the above sentence...it has a lot to do with what Mendy said.

In fairness, I'm not even sure if I agree with even half of what I say. :)

I get that what happened is because of what he said. Just trying to put my comments in the context where it doesn't matter what he said and if it was agreeable or not.

Maybe I have a soft spot for idiots because I am one ;) But for some reason (and I'm not sure why) I've always had a hard time taking a strong stance or opinion on anything because of my nature of questioning everything. So I tend to be open to almost all opinions having some validity. Some more than others of course ;)

birtikidis
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't mind that he is questioning the government. I just think he picked a bad topic to question. He should have left off about the celebrations. once he went further.. that was a bad idea lol.

Lebsteel
05-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't mind that he is questioning the government. I just think he picked a bad topic to question. He should have left off about the celebrations. once he went further.. that was a bad idea lol.

Yea, I would have been fine if he would have just stopped after he said we shouldn't be celebrating the death of another human being. I can understand that. Everything he said after that is just ridiculous and more importantly factually incorrect.

It's not all bad news, Mendy did win an award in the local paper today, "Knucklehead of the Week." I must say it was well deserved!

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Hines Ward: Rashard Mendenhall should re-think his opinions

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/hineward1.jpg?w=250

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall stepped into one of the biggest controversies of this NFL offseason when he went on Twitter and questioned whether Osama bin Laden was behind 9/11, while criticizing those who celebrated bin Laden’s death. Teammate Hines Ward thinks Mendenhall should have kept quiet.

“Everybody’s entitled to their opinion,” Ward told ESPN. “But that wasn’t a good opinion.”

Mendenhall’s bizarre claim that hijacked planes couldn’t have destroyed the World Trade Center was, indeed, a bad opinion. At this point, we’d hope that goes without saying.

But Ward also had some interesting comments on the way Twitter has changed sports: Athletes have a thought pop into their heads and they tweet their thought, even if it’s not a thought that it’s wise for them to broadcast publicly.

“If that’s your opinion leave it as your opinion,” Ward said. “When you tweet that out there, you have to deal with the backlashes that come with that. You put everybody out there because everywhere we go we get asked questions about the comments you made. When you tweet like that, you’ve got to be careful. I’m not a big tweeter because sometimes your emotions get caught up, you speak your mind and it’s not always the best thing to say.”

That’s a lesson Mendenhall learned the hard way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -opinions/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/hines-ward-rashard-mendenhall-should-re-think-his-opinions/)

flippy
05-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall stepped into one of the biggest controversies of this NFL offseason when he went on Twitter and questioned whether Osama bin Laden was behind 9/11, while criticizing those who celebrated bin Laden’s death. Teammate Hines Ward thinks Mendenhall should have kept quiet.

“Everybody’s entitled to their opinion,” Ward told ESPN. “But that wasn’t a good opinion.”

Mendenhall’s bizarre claim that hijacked planes couldn’t have destroyed the World Trade Center was, indeed, a bad opinion. At this point, we’d hope that goes without saying.

But Ward also had some interesting comments on the way Twitter has changed sports: Athletes have a thought pop into their heads and they tweet their thought, even if it’s not a thought that it’s wise for them to broadcast publicly.

“If that’s your opinion leave it as your opinion,” Ward said. “When you tweet that out there, you have to deal with the backlashes that come with that. You put everybody out there because everywhere we go we get asked questions about the comments you made. When you tweet like that, you’ve got to be careful. I’m not a big tweeter because sometimes your emotions get caught up, you speak your mind and it’s not always the best thing to say.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -opinions/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/hines-ward-rashard-mendenhall-should-re-think-his-opinions/)

Where's Crash to point out all the hypocrisies in Hines Ward when you need him?

Hines giving a guy advice on how to speak is like Santonio giving guys advice that they shouldn't get caught with weed.

rpmpit
05-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Anyone catch Saturday Night Live this past weekend?? It was heavy on Bin Laden content. There was a great skit based on the Little Mermaid. It encompassed many of the opinions we expressed here on what we should or shouldn't be feeling following OBL's death. Sometimes humor is the best way to cope with events of this magnitude. Here's the link if you're interested. Don't remember how to post videos and too lazy to look. Thanks!

And before you judge me or the video, keep in mind that SNL is shot in NYC. If you've never seen the episode done right after 9/11 I highly recommend you check it out. It was very emotional but also very therapeutic.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... d/1325765/ (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mermaid/1325765/)

rpmpit
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Where's Crash to point out all the hypocrisies in Hines Ward when you need him?

Hines giving a guy advice on how to speak is like Santonio giving guys advice that they shouldn't get caught with weed.

Agreed, flip. I wish these guys would just shut up and worry about football. And dancing :lol:

flippy
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Anyone catch Saturday Night Live this past weekend?? It was heavy on Bin Laden content. There was a great skit based on the Little Mermaid. It encompassed many of the opinions we expressed here on what we should or shouldn't be feeling following OBL's death. Sometimes humor is the best way to cope with events of this magnitude. Here's the link if you're interested. Don't remember how to post videos and too lazy to look. Thanks!

And before you judge me or the video, keep in mind that SNL is shot in NYC. If you've never seen the episode done right after 9/11 I highly recommend you check it out. It was very emotional but also very therapeutic.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... d/1325765/ (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mermaid/1325765/)

THe MIchael Bolton skit was one of my favorites:

[youtube:ys31aios]GI6CfKcMhjY[/youtube:ys31aios]

The best line is near the end where Michael's dressed up as Tony from Scarface and he sings ..."there's whole towns of p$#@ys waiting to get f'd". That was downright brilliant. And I'm a Michael Bolton fan now.

My wife said I had a StepBrothers moment after that video. I said something along the lines of "all my life i thought michael bolton was a real doucher until now." And I'm dead serious, complete new respect for michael bolton. i even saw him on DWTS this week and for the first time i listened to him sign and he was in fact pretty good. the guy's got talent. i wish it didnt take so long for me to notice :)

flippy
05-12-2011, 09:45 AM

THe MIchael Bolton skit was one of my favorites:

[youtube:27wkhrrg]GI6CfKcMhjY[/youtube:27wkhrrg]

The best line is near the end where Michael's dressed up as Tony from Scarface and he sings ..."there's whole towns of p$#@ys waiting to get f'd". That was downright brilliant. And I'm a Michael Bolton fan now.

My wife said I had a StepBrothers moment after that video. I said something along the lines of "all my life i thought michael bolton was a real doucher until now." And I'm dead serious, complete new respect for michael bolton. i even saw him on DWTS this week and for the first time i listened to him sign and he was in fact pretty good. the guy's got talent. i wish it didnt take so long for me to notice :)

i just rewatched this and it gets better. my new favorite part may be @ 1:30 in the video where andy samberg raps "whatch it girl cause i ain't your mr nice guy, more like the meet you take you home, and f u twice guy" and then michael pops up in a pirate hat in the middle of the screen and sings "now back to the good part".

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/51a525cebd/behind-the-music-video-with-michael-bolton-rob-riggle?rel=player&playlist=310726

hawaiiansteel
05-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Steeler veterans address Mendenhall flap

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 14, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-05-13/farrior-a.jpg

James Farrior
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Steelers president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin may not have to say much to running back Rashard Mendenhall about his recent comments regarding Osama bin Laden and 9/11.

That is one of the benefits of having a veteran locker room, where younger players are expected to fall into line.

Several team leaders, including defensive captain James Farrior, said Mendenhall made a mistake by voicing inflammatory opinions on a social media website.

They said they expect Mendenhall, who turns 24 next month, to learn from the fallout of his Twitter posts. In one, Mendenhall questioned how planes flown into the World Trade Center could have brought down the Twin Towers "demolition style." Mendenhall since took down the post.

"He made some comments that he probably shouldn't have made at the sensitive time that it was," Farrior said. "You can voice your opinions, but you don't want to try to offend people that have strong feelings about that. You've got to think about everybody that's involved."

Because of the lockout, neither Rooney nor Tomlin have been allowed to contact Mendenhall since he ignited a firestorm following a military operation that killed bin Laden, the face of the 9/11 attacks.

The Steelers were quick to distance themselves from Mendenhall's comments, with Rooney saying in a prepared statement that it was "hard to even comprehend" what the team's first-round draft pick in 2008 meant. Champion dropped Mendenhall as an endorser, even though the sports apparel company recently re-signed him to a four-year contract.

Champion's decision came after Mendenhall tried to clarify the stance he had taken in a blog post in which he took issue with celebrations sparked by bin Laden's death and apologized to anyone he may have "unintentionally harmed."

"You live and you learn, and I hope everybody accepts his apology," said cornerback Ike Taylor, who is hoping to re-sign with the Steelers after the lockout. "Some mistakes are bigger than others, and I say this is a huge mistake. It's just something you can't say. He'll learn from it.

"As long as he doesn't keep making the same mistake we're all good with it."

Tomlin allows players to use websites such as Twitter and Facebook so long as they don't talk about team business. Many Steelers, including Farrior, Taylor and receiver Hines Ward, are active on one or both of the those sites.

When asked recently about Mendenhall, Ward told ESPN, "Everybody's entitled to their opinion. But that wasn't a good opinion."

"You've got to be careful," Ward said. "I'm not a big tweeter because sometimes your emotions get caught up, you speak your mind, and it's not always the best thing to say."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1MMlXZZqj (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_737055.html#ixzz1MMlXZZqj)