PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor's value increases in Pittsburgh

MadSteel
05-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers may not admit it, but the urgency to re-sign top cornerback Ike Taylor probably increased this past weekend.

Taylor is Pittsburgh's biggest unrestricted free agent this offseason, and the team failed to land a top-rated cornerback in the NFL draft. The Steelers filled other needs in the first and second round before addressing the position.

The Steelers picked Texas cornerback Curtis Brown in the third round and Citadel corner Cortez Allen in the fourth round. Pittsburgh feels both players have potential. But based on their draft status, it's rare for a rookie taken in the middle rounds to be ready to start right away for a Super Bowl contender.

If Taylor is re-signed, this would help the transition of the younger corners. Similar to last year, Taylor and Bryant McFadden would be the starters for the Steelers, while young corners like Brown, Allen, Crezdon Butler and Keenan Lewis can compete for backup roles.

But the going rate for free-agent cornerbacks are extremely high this offseason. Oakland Raiders corner Stanford Routt recently signed a deal averaging $10 million per season, which could set the market for free agents like Taylor and Johnathan Joseph of the Cincinnati Bengals.

With those kind numbers being thrown around, there's no guarantee Taylor will return to the Steelers. If that's the case, one of Pittsburgh's inexperienced corners might have to step up into a starting role in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... pittsburgh (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27263/ike-taylors-value-increases-in-pittsburgh)

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
If Routt got $10 million per, what will Ike expect?

I know the "reports" have been "positive," but I'm not going to be surprised if we lose him.

Shawn
05-02-2011, 05:59 PM

I know the "reports" have been "positive," but I'm not going to be surprised if we lose him.

I do not see the Steelers paying 10 million per season let alone more. So, yes I expect Ike to be gone.

feltdizz
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

I don't see how the market and our recent additions are a positive when it comes to resigning Ike.

Chadman
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
THe Steelers rarely lose a player they want to keep- so if the Steelers want Ike back, here's betting they'll find a way, so long as Ike doesn't price himself out of the market.

At what point does a player salary outweigh his contribution to them team?

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
THe Steelers rarely lose a player they want to keep- so if the Steelers want Ike back, here's betting they'll find a way, so long as Ike doesn't price himself out of the market.

At what point does a player salary outweigh his contribution to them team?

This is where I think the Steelers might get stuck. Will they want to sign Ike to a 5 year 50 million+ deal. How often do they break the bank for guys who are 30+ especially on long term contracts? They might be willing to work out a 3 year contract with those kind of numbers. Will that be enough for Ike?

Chadman
05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
So the question is Shawn- at what point is Ike 'expendable'?

Routt priced himself out of his contribution to his team- but the dumby Raiders paid it. More the fools them.

Chadman would think that Ike is worth similar money without pricing himself above his contribution. If he looks to go higher, the Steelers will probably let him be someone else's overpriced FA. And then they'll go & get a better price/contribution fit elsewhere.

Does losing Ike Taylor condemn the Steelers to a 'useless' season? Do we have so little faith that the coaches can't find an alterntive?

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
So the question is Shawn- at what point is Ike 'expendable'?

Routt priced himself out of his contribution to his team- but the dumby Raiders paid it. More the fools them.

Chadman would think that Ike is worth similar money without pricing himself above his contribution. If he looks to go higher, the Steelers will probably let him be someone else's overpriced FA. And then they'll go & get a better price/contribution fit elsewhere.

Does losing Ike Taylor condemn the Steelers to a 'useless' season? Do we have so little faith that the coaches can't find an alterntive?

I guess my question would be...who is this alternative? Because if it's not Ike, I don't believe the person to be on the roster. Who is the DB gem who is flying under the radar?

Chadman
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Not sure the starting CB's need to be 'stars'. Not even sure Ike IS a star in so much that he fits the Steelers system very well, but other teams may expect more of Taylor than he can actually give. This is still a guy that stands 10 yards off the WR a majority of the snaps. And can't catch.

As for possible replacements that won't break the bank- guys like Eric Wright, Kelly Jennings or Drayton Florence might suit. It's not like the Steelers won't have money to spend on a FA CB- they just probably won't spend way over the worth.

Chadman still thinks Carlos Rogers could fit better than most FA CB's.

Chadman
05-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Even a guy like Josh Wilson from the Ravens might be useful...

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I do think that if we let Ike go, a mid tier signing will be needed. I hope we don't see much of a drop off with those kind of guys. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Chadman
05-03-2011, 01:27 AM
The good news is- the nickle/dime depth has been improved with Brown & Allen.

While the starting CB's may be a downgrade if Ike leaves, we shouldn't be as exposed when spread out by 3 or 4 WR's either.

The Steelers real pass coverage woes came when more than 2 CB's were on the field.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 08:21 AM
The defenses struggles came more in nickel & dime packages. Our base defense, although the #2 could be upgraded, was not the concern. I feel confident that the sub packages have been upgraded by the selection of Brown & Allen, and possibly the development of Lewis & Butler. How can you not think that any combination of two from above will not be more productive than the combination of Gay & Madison? See what I mean?

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
In this discussion, let's not forget the need for a FS that can cover. That is Ryan Clark's weak spot, and it needs to be addressed.

Oviedo
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
The defenses struggles came more in nickel & dime packages. Our base defense, although the #2 could be upgraded, was not the concern. I feel confident that the sub packages have been upgraded by the selection of Brown & Allen, and possibly the development of Lewis & Butler. How can you not think that any combination of two from above will not be more productive than the combination of Gay & Madison? See what I mean?

Brown and Allen will never see the field except for special teams if LeBeau stays true to form. The lack of a labor agreement and the rookies' inability to get practice time and learn the playbook all but guarantees that.

I continue to hold out hope that Butler can play and I'm pretty certain that Lewis can't.

While there may be some hope for the future, I think 2011 is going to be a very tough year for our secondary. The blueprint on how to attack us is clear. Bad to mediocre teams won't be able to because they lack good QBs but play off caliber teams will probably still be able to pick us apart.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Brown and Allen will never see the field except for special teams if LeBeau stays true to form. The lack of a labor agreement and the rookies' inability to get practice time and learn the playbook all but guarantees that.

I continue to hold out hope that Butler can play and I'm pretty certain that Lewis can't.

While there may be some hope for the future, I think 2011 is going to be a very tough year for our secondary. The blueprint on how to attack us is clear. Bad to mediocre teams won't be able to because they lack good QBs but play off caliber teams will probably still be able to pick us apart.

I would or will agree if the lockout stays in place through the Summer. If the lockout is lifted after the review, and the mini camp opens, that point will be moot.

As far as DL staying true to form, seeing time in the sub packages isn't the same as starting. As recent as Burnett, a rookie saw time in the sub package. I have some confidence that Brown will be on the slot as early the 1st game. I have "hope" it will be a difficult decision and Butler/Lewis is the #3 and and the other will be #4. I share the same feeling about Lewis but still have hope they see him as a CB/FS/ST player who will hold a roster spot. He has the physical tools but there is more than just that needed. Allen may be the inactive gamedays unless he really surprises which is possible with his intelligence. He has more upside than Brown because I feel he is better suited on the outside on an every down basis but will have a bigger task out of the gate than Brown will. Of course, where does Gay fit in?

I think the best thing that could happen to the Steelers is the league decides to go with 2010 rules. That would leave a log jamb at CB & the OL. Retaining Taylor could become a little easier if the Rooneys want to "bend" their theory because Taylor would be excluded from the 30% rule and front loading a contract could get a long term deal cap freindly. Colon would be restricted for another year and the Steelers could see how he has recovered and if a long term deal would be a smart decision. Also might get an opportunity to see him at G next to Adams. Back to the CB spot, the Steelers could really weed out that position through camp & preseason and it could quickly become a better group. It appears right now there is an odd man out in the group unless Lewis shows he could be an option at FS but he would have to show he is a better option than Mundy, Allen, Cromartie-Smith, Warren, or any UDFA they bring in. There are some nice UDFA who I'm hoping they consider.

feltdizz
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank goodness we only play 3 playoff teams... and an awful Flacco.

Oviedo
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank goodness we only play 3 playoff teams... and an awful Flacco.

as long as our defense doesn't revert to 2009 and let "great" QBs like Bruce Gradkowski slice and dice the secondary

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
No confidence boys??? :wink:

If they retain Taylor and we see no FA CB vists...I would say the Steelers have confidence in Lewis or Butler being ready to push McFadden. If we do see many visits, then they feel the gap is still great and we better hoping that Brown or Allen are the best thing since Chad Scott day 1. God...Is that the best recent example of a rookie CB we got????