PDA

View Full Version : Baron Batch wanted to be a Steeler either way

MadSteel
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Ex-Texas Tech running back Baron Batch was drafted No. 232 overall in the seventh round of the NFL draft by head coach Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The truth was Batch wanted to play NFL football in Pittsburgh regardless, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

"I'm excited about it," Batch told Williams. "When I went up there on my visit, it was definitely my favorite team, the team I wanted to go to. You can't really come out and say that. Through the process, you've got to be as unbiased as possible, because you never know who's going to get you.

"But I was really hoping it would work out where they would either draft me or I could go there as a free agent."

According to Williams, Batch received phone calls from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts regarding Batch signing free agency contracts before Tomlin called him.

"It was the whole organization, from coaches on down," Batch told Williams. "It just seemed like it matched my personality, or I matched theirs: just be humble and work hard and play hard. So I'm excited to be there with them."

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... bat-1.html (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/05/former-texas-tech-running-back-baron-bat-1.html)

Sugar
05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Well, he has his ticket. Let's see what he does.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
According to Williams, Batch received phone calls from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts regarding Batch signing free agency contracts before Tomlin called him.

I thought teams couldn't contact potential undrafted free agents???

Oviedo
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM

I thought teams couldn't contact potential undrafted free agents???

While the draft was going on they could let players know they were interested. As soon as the drafted ended so did all contact.

I'm sure our guys let some kids know we are interested.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, that makes me feel worse. We could've spent the draft pick on a K or TE and still gotten him. Oh well. Nice to have him aboard. Good kid. i hope he makes the team.

Oviedo
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
From DraftInsider:

We spoke with a half dozen agents who told us they and/or their players were contacted by NFL teams during the final day of the draft on Saturday, probing interest to sign specific players as undrafted free agents if they went unselected after the seven rounds were completed. In one instance the source told us a franchise spoke specific terms on the contract that would be offered once teams received the green light to sign undrafted players. In the other instances both players and agents were told teams would be calling once given the go-ahead by the league.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5345