PDA

View Full Version : In my opinion, (Draft)

Dresden
05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
We basically drafted 3 players.

Heyward. A player whom i feel will not be as pedestrian as Hood, however he may never reach Aaron Smith's level of productivity. B-

Curtis Brown. (whom i had been high on going back to the previous collegiate season) a player that i firmly believe will shock many by becoming the best Corner we have had since Rod's departure within two seasons. A+

Baron Batch. Another kid that i believe will shock many with his immediate productivity. B+

As far as the others,...Gilbert from what i have seen is highly inconsistent, lacks intensity and will be a liability. (IMO Hills is/was a better option at tackle.) F

Cortez Allen. Great character kid, worthwhile physical upside. However i do not see lightning striking twice in terms of the Ike Taylor like raw athlete becomes better than average starting Corner experiment. C-

Chris Carter. Can you say Bruce Davis ladies and gentlemen ? F

Keith Williams. Still scratching my head on this one. F

With all this said though,...i have to admit that the selections of Heyward, Brown and Batch make this easily my favorite Draft on our part in quite a few years.

Sugar
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I guess that's one of the cool things about it. These kids all have an invitation to the ball, let's see how they dance. Would anyone have predicted any number of low draft pick/UDFA's that have gone on to have great careers? I think you're probably right for what we can expect. However, I'm hoping that the scouting department has done well and that these kids have what it takes inside to become Steelers.

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
We basically drafted 3 players.

Heyward. A player whom i feel will not be as pedestrian as Hood, however he may never reach Aaron Smith's level of productivity. B-

Curtis Brown. (whom i had been high on going back to the previous collegiate season) a player that i firmly believe will shock many by becoming the best Corner we have had since Rod's departure within two seasons. A+

Baron Batch. Another kid that i believe will shock many with his immediate productivity. B+

As far as the others,...Gilbert from what i have seen is highly inconsistent, lacks intensity and will be a liability. (IMO Hills is/was a better option at tackle.) F

Cortez Allen. Great character kid, worthwhile physical upside. However i do not see lightning striking twice in terms of the Ike Taylor like raw athlete becomes better than average starting Corner experiment. C-

Chris Carter. Can you say Bruce Davis ladies and gentlemen ? F

Keith Williams. Still scratching my head on this one. F

With all this said though,...i have to admit that the selections of Heyward, Brown and Batch make this easily my favorite Draft on our part in quite a few years.

Two things,,,one, you obviously have never seen Chris Carter play, or the rest of the HORRIBLE Fresno State defenders. And two,,,,Bruce Davis, although very productive played on probably the BEST College D-Line at UCLA during that time then any college D-line the past 20 years. Davis was freed up by the rest of those guys. And another thing, Davis was nowhere near the Athlete, with the type of speed and quickness that Carter has...try checking out what Davis times were as compared to Carter. Oh and also, unlike Davis, we spent a 5th...a late 5th on Carter, i.e., e.g,,,NO RISK!

Comparing those two players is like you comparing Big Ben to,,,well, another UCLA kid........" CADE MCnown! " :lol:

Chadman
05-03-2011, 12:40 AM
If the Steelers get 2 starters & a role player out of every draft- Chadman can live with that...

StarSpangledSteeler
05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
If the Steelers get 2 starters & a role player out of every draft- Chadman can live with that...

This is a good point Chadman. I think a lot fans go a bit overboard in their draft expectations. There are many years when teams (including the Steelers) only get one good player from the draft. There is such a huge gap from being dominate at the college level and being dominate at the NFL level. The speed and strength required are so much greater, and there are so many technique issues to master, you just can't expect everybody to do that. It makes you really appreciate someone like Pouncey. We were very fortunate last year to land a number of players that were good enough to even just stick on our roster. This draft looks like there's a good chance our top three picks could be starters and possibly even keep a couple more back ups. I'll take that every time.