PDA

View Full Version : Is this a blessing in disguise for the UFL?

Oviedo
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
There are alot of good players who would be signed now as UDFAs. The UFL can snatch up alot of these guys and give them a job while the labor situation plays out.

I can't imagine a player who was actually drafted opting for the UFL.

grotonsteel
05-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I think so. For what i read its violation of rules to even contact UDFAs. The longer lockout continues undrafted players might jump the ship and join UFL because of uncertainty.

feltdizz
05-02-2011, 12:59 PM
UFL, CFL... etc, all of the other football leagues should jump at the chance if the NFL keeps dragging their feet.

Djfan
05-02-2011, 06:25 PM
The UFL is better than you think. I really enjoyed it last year.

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I think so. For what i read its violation of rules to even contact UDFAs. The longer lockout continues undrafted players might jump the ship and join UFL because of uncertainty.

I believe Batch said, teams contacted him about coming to them as an UDFA...Jags Colts etc.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 07:16 PM

I believe Batch said, teams contacted him about coming to them as an UDFA...Jags Colts etc.

that happened during the draft. At that point he was not an UDFA, he was a college kid in the draft.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
UFL drops transfer fee, continuing plan to poach locked-out players

Updated: May 4th, 2011
by Tom Pelissero 1500ESPN.com

First, the United Football League moved up it season. Then, it moved up its draft.

Now, the UFL apparently is dropping its controversial transfer fee -- the latest development in a plot to poach unsigned players from the locked-out NFL.

Agent Mook Williams confirmed on Wednesday night the UFL's standard player contract for 2011 no longer includes the transfer fee, which the upstart league dropped from $150,000 to $25,000 after several players protested last season.

One of those players was halfback Lorenzo Booker, who paid his own fee to join the Minnesota Vikings only weeks after the larger fee discouraged the Vikings from signing him.

The UFL hopes the NFL lockout will prompt more players to jump to the five-team league, which is set to begin its third season in August and play on Sundays for the first time. Dropping the transfer fee eliminates one potential drawback, although players still would be locked into their UFL contracts until October.

"There's no doubt it's more attractive," Williams said via Twitter.

Moving the draft until Tuesday gave the UFL a chance to pounce on players not selected in the NFL Draft last week -- and unable to sign with NFL teams because of the league's transactions freeze. Former Vikings receiver Aundrae Allison was among 52 players selected.

It remains to be seen whether the UFL's talent base markedly improves, though. The average player salary of $50,000 is little more than half the salary of a player who spends the season on an NFL practice squad, and plenty of players surely will roll the dice the lockout ends before the UFL season.

http://1500espn.com/sportswire/UFL_drop ... yers050411 (http://1500espn.com/sportswire/UFL_drops_transfer_fee_continuing_plan_to_poach_lo ckedout_players050411)

steelblood
05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
50,000 a year is enough to get some of the UDFAs. I don't think any draft picks would jump ship though. The money to be earned is much better.

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2011, 01:38 PM
The UFL held its draft this week, two days after the NFL draft had concluded. There were some NFL vets (guys like former Titans CB Reynaldo Hill, former Chiefs DT Ryan Sims, former Bears RB Adrian Peterson...the other one) but also some NFL draft prospects who were not selected in the NFL draft this past weekend (guys like Boston College LB Mark Herzlich, Kentucky RB Derrick Locke, Auburn RB Mario Fannin, and Oregon WR Jeff Maehl). You can see the list here:

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/2011-ufl-draft