PDA

View Full Version : A FA for offense?

steelblood
05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I know our top priority is to sign one good FA cornerback whenever free agency begins. After that, we'll probably resign Spaeth and maybe look at FA kickers. But, one area that we can really get a lot of bang for our buck is at FA RB. After the lockout, guys like

Darren Sproles
Reggie Bush (when he is released)
Ahmad Bradshaw (if he isn't an RFA)
Ronnie Brown (if healthy)

could be interesting backups and third down backs. Sproles and Bush would also help out in the return game. Also, they might come relatively cheap with FA coming so late and so many role playing running backs coming out of this draft.

So, after we get our #1 corner, taking a run at one of these guys (even on a modest one or two year contract) could be interesting. I especially like Reggie Bush. He would be awesome on third downs.

Oviedo
05-02-2011, 08:08 AM
I know our top priority is to sign one good FA cornerback whenever free agency begins. After that, we'll probably resign Spaeth and maybe look at FA kickers. But, one area that we can really get a lot of bang for our buck is at FA RB. After the lockout, guys like

Darren Sproles
Reggie Bush (when he is released)
Ahmad Bradshaw (if he isn't an RFA)
Ronnie Brown (if healthy)

could be interesting backups and third down backs. Sproles and Bush would also help out in the return game. Also, they might come relatively cheap with FA coming so late and so many role playing running backs coming out of this draft.

So, after we get our #1 corner, taking a run at one of these guys (even on a modest one or two year contract) could be interesting. I especially like Reggie Bush. He would be awesome on third downs.

Doubt they will be looking for a high priced RB if anyone in free agency. Only position I could see them interested in would be CB or TE.

ramblinjim
05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
...maybe an Offensive Guard?

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
We need to sign Taylor (UFA as soon as lockout ends) and Woodley (need a longer deal than just the 1 year franchise tag) now. That will take enough money that I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about signing vets from elsewhere this year, especially since money spent this year will impact what he will have available next year when we need to re-up Polamalu and Timmons. Those 4 names are the priority now. If we find a away to extend those 4 guys, I don't care if we sign any vets from any other teams at any price.

steelblood
05-02-2011, 10:27 AM
We wrapped up 3 million a year in Battle and El. I fail to see how we can't offer 3 mil to one of these vets to come here for a year and try to a championship (not a long term contract). Middle tier running backs don't command that much money. None of those guys are starters at this point. Look, short-sightedness is a horrible disease. This team has a chance to win now. With the way the league season has unfolded, there will be more bargains to be had at positions with log jams of players. This league is filled to the brim with 3rd down change of pace guys right now.

One or two of the players I listed will sign for 2-3.5 million per to play for a winner next season. Running backs outside of the top 10-15 in the league make peanuts compared to other skilled positions.

I'd gladly cut Battle and El to sign Bush, Sproles, or Bradshaw. Curtis Brown can replace Battle on special teams. And, a #2 running back is very important. We are screwed if Mendy goes down at this point.

Chadman
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, given the way the roster looks right now, if Baron Batch looks half-way decent, no need for a RB. If he doesn't look up to it- Cadillac Williams might not break the bank & serve as the 3rd down RB.

There isn't much to pick from in the FA TE's, but Jeff King from Carolina might not be a bad upgrade to Speath.

There's not much available at Safety to pick from, and with 2 young CB's brought in the need there is greatly diminished- only Defensive position that could really look at being upgraded is back-up NT perhaps- a younger guy than Hoke. But then- they might wait until next draft for that now.

If they do have some money to spend in FA- Chadman's guess is it'll go into a TE somewhere- if things are tight- King might fit, if not so tight- perhaps a Kevin Boss type.

Of course, re-signing Troy, Timmons, Woodley & Wallace might be more prudent..

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
We wrapped up 3 million a year in Battle and El. I fail to see how we can't offer 3 mil to one of these vets to come here for a year and try to a championship (not a long term contract). Middle tier running backs don't command that much money. None of those guys are starters at this point. Look, short-sightedness is a horrible disease. This team has a chance to win now. With the way the league season has unfolded, there will be more bargains to be had at positions with log jams of players. This league is filled to the brim with 3rd down change of pace guys right now.

One or two of the players I listed will sign for 2-3.5 million per to play for a winner next season. Running backs outside of the top 10-15 in the league make peanuts compared to other skilled positions.

I'd gladly cut Battle and El to sign Bush, Sproles, or Bradshaw. Curtis Brown can replace Battle on special teams. And, a #2 running back is very important. We are screwed if Mendy goes down at this point.

The money saved by getting rid of guys like Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, Antwaan Randle El, Keyaron Fox, Anthony Madison, etc. could be used to help sign Taylor and Woodley this year and then next year, if guys like Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and Hines Ward retire (or take pay cuts to stay in a reduced role), then we'll have a few extra bucks to extend the likes of Polamalu, Timmons, and Wallace first. They are the top priorities. Perhaps we bring in a player or two from the outside on a minor deal, but it won't be a big name. We have enough big names of our own to take care of at this point.

If a RB comes cheap that we think could help our running game overall, maybe we take a look, but at this point I'm not worried about our RB depth even if we let Mewelde walk in free agency as I expect will happen. Mendenhall is our feature back, Redman has one year of NFL playing experience under his belt and should only get better, and Dwyer has completed his one-year rookie redshirt (much like Redman did the year prior) and should now be ready to contribute on the active gameday roster. Baron Batch could make the final 53, but not dress on the majority of gamedays, like Dwyer did last year. Running back is one position where I am not all that worried about not having a veteran presence...these young bucks are hungry.

PSU_dropout43
05-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Marshal Yanda - kick Kemo to the curb.

Marion Barber - wait til his release

Braylon Edwards

grotonsteel
05-02-2011, 01:31 PM

I would wait for Marion Barber to be released by Cowgirls. They have drafted a RB in Rd 3 and i assume they must be looking at cutting Barber.

Shawn
05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I am hoping Batch is the guy. But, I would also like to bring in a guy like Noel Devine.

As for FAs, Sproles is remotely intriguing.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Braylon Edwards

no thanks to Braylon Edwards -

"I hate Pittsburgh," Braylon Edwards told Newsday in the Jets' locker room Thursday. "It's cold. Terrible field. It's not fun in any regard. There's nothing about Pittsburgh that I like."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... -1.2548760 (http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/jets-edwards-takes-his-shots-at-pittsburgh-1.2548760)