PDA

View Full Version : Grade our draft

Shawn
04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Just a word of note to those who take this stuff a little too seriously...this is just for fun. Few if any of us really know what we are talking about, and yes it's so premature it's almost ridiculous. With that now said, let your opinions on the draft be known here. :)

1) Cameron Heyward, late in his senior season I didn't really know what happened to him. The guy I had seen his junior season was a very special player...the kind that have not often graced the field at OSU. In my opinion, after his junior season he is a top 15 pick. So what happened? I believe teams geared to stop him as he became such a disruptive force. His game with Arkansas won me back over. Colbert considered him one of the top 20 special talents in this draft. He was the best pick in this position,

Grade: A

2) Marcus Gilbert-this is a draft pick that is intriguing. From what I have seen and what I am reading he seems to have all the tools but yet doesn't seem to always put it together. I have heard lacks a mean streak and doesn't play up to his size. But, the guy moves well for his size and seems to like the right side of the OL. I think the Steelers FO seen talent that can't be taught and problems that can be corrected. His buddy Pouncey should be a huge help in his growth. I think there was much better value at this point in the draft but he could pan out to be a solid RT with proper coaching.

Grade: C

3) Curtis Brown...not sure about all the Townsend comparisons. Brown is the more athletic of the two. But, if Brown turns out to be a solid to terrific #2 I'll be happy. I like what I am reading...seems to have the tools to be a very good starter. In round 3, I think the guy was a good value.

Grade: B+

4) Cortez Allen...I would have rather had DJ Williams and grabbed Torrence later in the draft. But, the kid seems to have a very good upside. He will take time in transition...maybe 3 years. But, not a bad shot in the 4th.

Grade: B

5) Chris Carter...a bit smaller than the Steelers generally like but he sounds like he could turn out to be a terrific blitzing OLB while other parts of his game seem to need work. Should provide depth...not sure about his ability to ever start...or our need for him to ever start. We did need OLB depth so I am ok with this pick in 5.

Grade B

6) Keith Williams...first head scratcher of the day. Another run blocking OG who can probably never be a quality starter? I thought we had plenty of those. You either go Guard early or you don't go Guard at all.

Grade: D

7) Baron Batch...good character man with good hands and the ability to replace the more expensive vets. Sounds good to me.

Grade: B+

Overall: B+, the Steeler addressed needs but I believe they only drafted one game changer. I don't see many guys who I think have the "it factor". But, I do see some guys who could be very solid starters and right now that is better than what we have in our secondary.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I think that is a very accurate grade. B to B+

flippy
04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
1) Cameron Heyward - B+

2) Marcus Gilbert - C

3) Curtis Brown - A+

4) Cortez Allen - A+

5) Chris Carter - A+

6) Keith Williams - C

7) Baron Batch - A+

Overall solid A for now. We'll have to see how this plays out over the years.

NJ-STEELER
04-30-2011, 09:25 PM
DJ johnson? or did you mean DJ williams

edit...google dj johnson and he's already on the team, apparently our 3rd TE also goes by DJ too

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Grade is an easy A-

I love the thread starter who said,,,you either take a Guard early, or you don't take one at all. That's interesting considering that of the 64 starting Guards in the league right now, 27 of them were drafted after the 5th round. :wft

D Rock
04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Grade is an easy A-

I love the thread starter who said,,,you either take a Guard early, or you don't take one at all. That's interesting considering that of the 64 starting Guards in the league right now, 27 of them were drafted after the 5th round. :wft

I believe that was to be that the Pittsburgh Steelers as they stood entering the draft needed a guard early or not at all.

Kemo and the other guys are all late round talent types. We needed to upgrade them. We did not need to add more of the same.

Djfan
04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I am the least knowledgeable draft guy on this board, but I do like what I see from this year.

A to A- IMO.

Another solid showing by our GM.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Hopefully, a year from now we're all rating this draft an A+.

birtikidis
04-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Though I didn't like the Williams pick, he does make only the 2nd NATURAL guard that we have. He's not a conversion project. he's been playing guard his whole life. That's infinitely better then anyone who was moved there from tackle.

SteelStallion
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
A-/B+

Great effort for their circumstances.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 12:16 AM
There were trades. There were surprises. And now that the NFL Draft is over, it’s time to dispense the grades.

by Clifton Brown
Sporting News

Lions: A +

With Nick Fairley joining Ndamukong Suh, the Lions’ defensive line will give quarterbacks nightmares. Titus Young and Mikel Leshoure are both offensive playmakers.

Patriots: A+

No pass rusher, but a slew of talented players led by Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen and Ryan Mallett. Plus they have two picks next year in both the first and second rounds.

Buccaneers: A

They got a huge gift when Da’Quan Bowers fell to them at No. 51 to join Adrian Clayborn on the defensive line. Their draft is loaded with talented players.

Bengals: A

Getting quarterback Andy Dalton in Round 2 was critical and wide receiver A. J. Green should be a star. Maybe Carson Palmer will change his mind?

Packers : A–

Batted from the last spot in the draft, yet still hit a home run. Getting Derek Sherrod and Randall Cobb adds depth to a team already stacked.

Broncos: B +

Von Miller and Rahim Moore will upgrade a defense that desperately needs it, and Orlando Franklin will help the offensive line.

Texans: B +

Love those defensive players with their first five picks. If J.J. Watt, Brooks Reed and Brandon Harris are all legit, they could finally make the playoffs.

Titans: B +

Taking Jake Locker eighth took guts, but they like him and getting a quarterback is crucial. Then the Titans followed with two quality picks - Akeem Ayers and Jurrell Casey.

Ravens: B +

Jimmy Smith should step in as a starting corner, and wide receivers Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss give Joe Flacco speed receivers.

Browns: B +

Landed a boatload of picks in a trade with the Falcons, plus two defensive linemen (Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard) and an intriguing wide receiver (Greg Little).

Steelers: B

They continue to pick well from the bottom of the board. Cam Hewyard, Marcus Gilbert and Curtis Brown all look NFL-ready.

Saints: B

Cameron Jordan upgrades the pass rush and Mark Ingram joins a potent offense in which he could become the featured back.

Bills: B

Counting on Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback, they went heavy on defense. Tackle Marcell Dareus could be a star.

Cardinals: B

Patrick Peterson gives them a quality corner and Ryan Williams adds backfield depth. Now they need a quarterback.

Panthers: B

Taking Cam Newton was the right move for a team needing new direction. Terrell McClain and Sione Fua will help the defensive line.

Rams: B

The Detroit Lions were big winners in the NFL Draft, in part because of their first-round pick of Nick Fairley. (AP Photo)
Two wide receiver prospects to help quarterback Sam Bradford, plus a pass-rushing defensive end in Robert Quinn made it a good weekend.

Bears: B-

An offensive lineman they needed (Gabe Carimi) fell to them, and defensive tackle Stephen Paea was good value in Round 2.

Colts: B-

They got two offensive linemen, Anthony Castonzo and Ben Ijalana, to protect the franchise, Peyton Manning.

Chiefs: B-

Two third-round picks could be steals, linebacker Justin Houston and defensive end Allen Bailey. WR Jonathan Baldwin can get deep.

Giants: B-

Getting defensive tackle Marvin Austin in the second round could be huge, and they were fortunate to have cornerback Prince Amukamara fall to them.

Vikings: C+

Their draft depends on Christian Ponder developing into a starting quarterback they can win with. If he doesn’t pan out, they will regret not taking Nick Fairley or Robert Quinn.

Falcons: C+

You could argue that they gave up too much for Julio Jones. You could also argue his playmaking skill as a receiver was worth it. We’ll see.

Chargers: C+

Tackle Corey Liuget should help the defensive line, and general manager A.J. Smith’s history suggests that some of his other picks will pan out.

49ers: C+

They got a pass rusher (Aldon Smith) and smartly traded up to get quarterback (Colin Kaepernick). Problem is, he’s not ready to start right away. Maybe Blaine Gabbert would have been.

Redskins: C+

Instead of trading picks, they acquired some and the philosophy worked. Ryan Kerrigan will aid the pass rush. But they still need a quarterback.

Cowboys: C

They got offensive tackle Tyron Smith in the first round, but a pass rusher out of this draft would have been nice.

Dolphins: C-

Mike Pouncey will help the offensive line, but can Daniel Thomas take over at running back if they lose both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown? There is also no quarterback to push Chad Henne.

Eagles: C-

Danny Watkins will help the offensive line, but they could have used a pass rusher, and some of their defensive picks may have been reaches.

Jaguars: D

Blaine Gabbert is their quarterback of the future, but in the present, they still need more help to become a playoff team.

Jets: D

Not having a second-round pick hurt them, and they took a major risk on third-rounder Kenrick Ellis, who has serious legal issues.

Raiders: D

All of their first three picks looked like reaches. Perhaps running back Taiwan Jones (fourth round), the Combine’s fastest player, will provide a few big plays.

Seahawks: D

Their decision not to pick quarterback Andy Dalton could haunt them, especially if Matt Hasselbeck leaves. Could go from first to worst in NFC West.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1L3yWDoMM (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-30/nfl-draft-grades-lions-patriots-ace-their-tests-jets-swing-and-miss#ixzz1L3yWDoMM)

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Year: 12-4)

2011 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

31. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
This is a typical Steelers pick. They're bolstering their defense with one of the top players available. He doesn't fill an immediate need, but will definitely be starting for the team in a year or two. (Pick Grade: B)

63. Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
The Steelers almost had to make this pick. They need to protect Ben Roethlisberger. Marcus Gilbert fits their blocking scheme, and he's arguably one of the top tackles available. (Pick Grade: B)

95. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
I had Curtis Brown to the Steelers in the second round of my mock re-draft, so I love this pick. Brown provides tremendous value and fills a huge need for the Steelers. He's also a great fit for Mike Tomlin's defensive scheme. That's why the Steelers were very interested in Brown this offseason. (Pick Grade: A)

128. Cortez Allen, CB, The Citadel
Another solid cornerback selection for the Steelers. Cortez Allen fits the range at the bottom of the Round 4, and he figures to improve the secondary sometime in the near future. (Pick Grade: B)

162. Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
Kevin Colbert continues to dominate the 2011 NFL Draft. Chris Carter could have gone as high as the bottom of the second round, so this is a major steal. Carter won't contribute right away, but he could step in once James Harrison moves on. (Pick Grade: A)

196. Keith Williams, G, Nebraska
Another quality pick. The Steelers have to keep adding solid offensive linemen to the roster, and Keith Williams fits the range. (Pick Grade: B)

232. Baron Batch, RB, Texas Tech
The Steelers were expected to find a change-of-pace back behind Rashard Mendenhall. Baron Batch qualifies, but there were better prospects available. (Pick Grade: C)

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2011pit.php

Chadman
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Not going to grade each pick individually- considering that there were no obvious reaches (except PERHAPS Gilbert- but then, only a marginal reach there), got probably 2 players at later spots than predicted (Brown & Carter), grabbed a talented CB in a year they needed to start developing some & got him at about the right spot, got arguably the BPA & also filled a future need in Round 1 & quite possibly got an instant producer in Round 7...with the only real question being over a 6th round pick...

Chadman gives this an A-.....hard to fault anything they did in this draft.

steelblood
05-01-2011, 11:09 AM
It is a solid B+.

Heyward. He didn't fill an immediate need, but he is a top 20 talent in any normal year that didn't have so many 3-4 DEs. You also have to weight the first round selection as a larger portion of the final grade than the later selections. A (30 %)

Gilbert is a poor pick. I hope I'm wrong but, I don't see the toughness that Kugler spoke of. C- (20%)

Curtis Brown is an excellent choice especially at the end of the third. A+ (15%)

Cortez Allen is a project pick. I'm comfortable with this selection. It may have been a little early, but it really hard to say. This is the point of the draft where you either take role players or projects with great upside. B (15%)

Chris Carter. Speed Rusher who has starter potential. Was projected to much higher. A+ (10%)

Keith Williams. Keith Williams? I couldn't believe we brought him in for a visit. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but we already have like 4 Keith Williams type guys. I take that back Keith Williams looks like a poor man's version of Kemo, Foster, and co. How did we take another G who struggles big time in pass pro? D (10%)

Baron Batch. High character, 3rd down back, special teamer. Good at blitz pickup. Injury concerns. I liked other project picks here like Mims and Jasper. C+ (10%)

steelers75
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Any word from a certain jackass about all the "grits picks" that made up our draft, or is he still too busy wiping the egg off his face from last year?

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 03:42 PM
AFC North draft analysis

April, 30, 2011

By James Walker

The 2011 NFL draft has reached its conclusion, and this is the time of year when every coach and general manager feels great about their selections.

The AFC North is annually one of the toughest divisions in football, with two powerhouse teams in the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers. The Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals are trying to close the gap by acquiring good talent in this draft.

With that in mind, here is a look at the draft decisions made within the division:

BEST MOVE

The biggest draft trade this week was made by the Browns, who gained five draft picks from the Atlanta Falcons for the No. 6 overall pick. The trade eliminated the chance the Browns would make a huge splash in the first round but sets the team up well to add talent gradually to a thin roster.

Atlanta took Alabama receiver Julio Jones with the sixth pick, while the Browns added Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor in the first round after a trade back up to No. 21 with the Kansas City Chiefs. Cleveland also drafted North Carolina receiver Greg Little with Atlanta's second-round pick and Stanford fullback Owen Marecic with the Falcons' fourth-round pick.

Next year Cleveland will have three additional picks from the Falcons -- including their first-rounder -- and nine draft picks total. That should help the Browns continue to build a solid foundation.

"Because of how the draft fell, we did absolutely the right thing," Browns president Mike Holmgren said of the trade.

Ironically, the Falcons made a similar offer to the Bengals, who passed because they didn't believe equal value was there at No. 4. So the Bengals took Georgia receiver A.J. Green, and Cleveland was more than happy to trade with Atlanta at No. 6.

RISKIEST MOVE

The Ravens decided to take a risk on Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith in the first round.

The Ravens went all in with a player many teams refused to touch.

Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith, one of the most talented players in the draft, was taken by Baltimore with the No. 27 overall pick. Smith has a lengthy track record of off-the-field issues, which reportedly include three failed drug tests, two alcohol-related violations and an arrest for third-degree assault.

But the Ravens went through a lengthy research and interview process with Smith to dig into his background and personality. They felt comfortable with the selection.

"Every pick, there is some bit of a gamble in it," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "But we trust our process. We trust the people that got the opportunity to spend time with him, and there was a number of people that had that opportunity to spend some time with him."

There is no questioning Smith's ability. Baltimore's pass defense has been inconsistent the past few seasons, and the team believes Smith has the potential to be a shutdown corner.

Some around the league have compared Smith to Nnamdi Asomugha in terms of pure talent. That is very high praise. But the Ravens have to make sure they keep Smith on the field to reach his potential.

"This guy, he's a special player," Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said. "He's exactly the type of corner that we're looking for. He fits our defense just the way we need him to fit our defense."

MOST SURPRISING MOVE

The most surprising move in the AFC North could be considered a non-move early in the draft by the Steelers. The team didn't address its biggest need -- cornerback -- until the middle rounds.

The Steelers are known for drafting developmental players at that position. But because the Steelers were so thin there this year, they were expected to go against that trend and get one of the top prospects in the first two rounds.

Instead, the Steelers stayed true to form by drafting Texas corner Curtis Brown in the third round and Cortez Allen from the Citadel in the fourth round. Perhaps these players can make an immediate impact, but it's rare that third- and fourth-round picks become starting corners for a playoff team as rookies.

No. 1 corner Ike Taylor and top reserve William Gay are both free agents, and there's no guarantee either player will return. The Green Bay Packers' passing game torched the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. Pittsburgh didn't do enough in the draft to ease those concerns.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... analysis-3 (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/40260/afc-north-draft-analysis-3)