04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I really hate that pick.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Good mean streak.....poor prospect.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I really hate that pick.

I dont know...he's a 3 year starter for a run oriented offense. It could be worse. I think in the 6th sometimes you gotta roll the dice.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
This is the first one that made me furrow my brow. We don't need any more late round depth at guard...we already have plenty of that...we needed either a day one starter at guard with an early pick or nothing...we need quality here, not quatity, and Williams seems just like another body...a quantity pick. I guess it's better to like picks 1-5 and not like pick 6, than to not like picks 1-5 and like pick 6, though.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
I really hate that pick.

I dont know...he's a 3 year starter for a run oriented offense. It could be worse. I think in the 6th sometimes you gotta roll the dice.

He wasn't even the best guard on his team....Ricky Henry was.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I really hate that pick.

Would have like the other Hen(e)ry from that team. Looks like we got Sushi again next year (unless we draft Kai Forbath from UCLA in round 1). Of course, we could pick up David Akers because the Iggles drafted Henery to replace him.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I really hate that pick.

Sometimes an NFL scouting team, coaching staff, and FO sees something that others dont. Ya just never know. The Steeler see something here.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
[quote=steelerkeylargo]I really hate that pick.

Sometimes an NFL scouting team, coaching staff, and FO sees something that others dont. Ya just never know. The Steeler see something here.[/quote:1k6agei1]

the Steelers did bring in Williams for a visit, there definitely was interest shown...

aggiebones
04-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Good mean streak.....poor prospect.

So its KemoII

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 05:24 PM
I'll make a prediction right now...

Keith Williams in the 6th round will turn out to be at least every bit as good as Kraig Urbik ever was for the Steelers after getting drafted in the 3rd round.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I'll make a prediction right now...

Keith Williams in the 6th round will turn out to be at least every bit as good as Kraig Urbik ever was for the Steelers after getting drafted in the 3rd round.

That's comforting.

winwithd
04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Kugler just called Keith Williams smart. Maybe he is not Kemo II

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Kugler just called Keith Williams smart. Maybe he is not Kemo II

I'm pretty sure no one (not even Kemo's Mom) has ever called him smart....

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Looks like training camp fodder.

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I really hate that pick.

Best on Nebraska maybe, maybe not. But what about the best prospect for OUR team ? I've watched many Cornhusker games, and Henry is NOT a pure Guard. And everytime Nebraska had success running the ball, they always followed Williams side of the Ball. Ricky is a better Pass-protecting guard yes. But he didn't show well in the post All-Star games. And he is a terrible Drive Blacker. I have seen safties blow Henry back...Safties!!

As for what the steelers needed, Williams was the best PURE Guard available. Cause Hurd is not a Drive Blocker, and was to tall, and got shoved back as well. I would have wanted Moffitt, or Boling as well. But they were taken earlier. And we had other concerns to fill.

Nothing wrong with Williams.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I really hate that pick.

Best on Nebraska maybe, maybe not. But what about the best prospect for OUR team ? I've watched many Cornhusker games, and Henry is NOT a pure Guard. And everytime Nebraska had success running the ball, they always followed Williams side of the Ball. Ricky is a better Pass-protecting guard yes. But he didn't show well in the post All-Star games. And he is a terrible Drive Blacker. I have seen safties blow Henry back...Safties!!

As for what the steelers needed, Williams was the best PURE Guard available. Cause Hurd is not a Drive Blocker, and was to tall, and got shoved back as well. I would have wanted Moffitt, or Boling as well. But they were taken earlier. And we had other concerns to fill.

Nothing wrong with Williams.

Everything you just wrote was absolutely false. Not just false but complete garbage!!!! Ricky Henry is a dominating run blocker. His pass blocking struggles. No safety ever blew Ricky Henry back that dude is a horse. Henry was first team Big 12 not Williams.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
As a matter of fact not only did Henry make first team all Big 12 and Williams did not, but, Williams did not even make second team. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself "madcap".

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
As a matter of fact not only did Henry make first team all Big 12 and Williams did not, but, Williams did not even make second team. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself "madcap".

First off Largo, I said Henry was the best Guard on Nebraska, but I also asked, does that make him the best for US ? As it goes to Henry's Run Blocking....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... 82531.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/82531.html)

Read and learn. And as for Williams not making 1st or 2nd team All Big-12 ??? So then Can I assume then you thought Marcus Gilbest was a horrible pick ? Cause did he make the all SEC 1st team ?, or 2nd team ? :nono

Ah right. I thought so.

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
NFLDraftscout,,,the official scouting guide for cbssportsline,,,now, what is Ricky Henry's rank Largo ?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82994&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG)

And what is Williams ?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77421&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG)

Thanks for playing :owned

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

First off Largo, I said Henry was the best Guard on Nebraska, but I also asked, does that make him the best for US ? As it goes to Henry's Run Blocking....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... 82531.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/82531.html)

Read and learn. And as for Williams not making 1st or 2nd team All Big-12 ??? So then Can I assume then you thought Marcus Gilbest was a horrible pick ? Cause did he make the all SEC 1st team ?, or 2nd team ? :nono

Ah right. I thought so.

I don't need to read SI I do my own work. And I am on record as saying Gilbert is a fourth round pick.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 07:51 PM
You said Ricky Henry didn't fair well in the post-season all-star games. Which ones are you referring too?

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 08:06 PM
You said Ricky Henry didn't fair well in the post-season all-star games. Which ones are you referring too?

I know he wasn't at Senior Bowl. But I thought he was a late addition for the Texas V Nation game ? Regardless, he was good in his own way, and so was Williams. And no matter what you like to think, Williams was ther better run blocker. But if it makes you feel any better, we can now Invite Henry to camp,,,cause he was not drafted :lol:

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 08:09 PM

I know he wasn't at Senior Bowl. But I thought he was a late addition for the Texas V Nation game ? Regardless, he was good in his own way, and so was Williams. And no matter what you like to think, Williams was ther better run blocker. But if it makes you feel any better, we can now Invite Henry to camp,,,cause he was not drafted :lol:

Well I was at every post season All-Star game so you can "think" about it all you want. The fact is I live it. So keep reading Si.Com. Good job :Clap

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Steelers' sixth-rounder may be 'nasty' enough to play soon

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/f/a3/48d/fa348d58-6a22-54da-9fed-6b9d44fda0b4-revisions/4dc0a51e2854e.image.jpg

Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead leaps over teammate Keith Williams during the first half of a game in November. AP Photo\Dave Weaver

Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff

?PITTSBURGH — One of the reasons why the Steelers drafted Keith Williams is his mean streak.

“He’s a very physical player,” offensive line coach Sean Kugler said. “He likes to mix it up. He has nasty to him. He’s an aggressive player.”

Williams, a guard out of Nebraska, was drafted by the Steelers in the sixth round on Saturday.

That “nasty” description rekindles memories of the 2005 draft when the Steelers chose Chris Kemoeatu in the sixth round. At the time, Kemoeatu had a reputation as a mean guy who had to take anger management classes at Utah.

Since becoming the Steelers’ starting left guard in 2007, Kemoeatu has displayed, on occasion, his mean streak. He’s a big man at 6-foot-3 and 344 pounds. For the most part, he’s fared well in the run game. But he still has issues in pass protection.

In other words, he’s hasn’t been the second coming of Alan Faneca, the All-Pro guard he replaced (Faneca now plays for the Arizona Cardinals).

Williams may be Kemoeatu’s replacement at left guard. Then again, maybe Williams may get a shot at right guard where the Steelers have been shuffling players in and out the past few seasons.

In 2008, Darnell Stapleton replaced Kendall Simmons, who suffered a season-ending Achilles’ tendon tear in the fourth game of the season. In 2009, backup tackle Trai Essex moved to guard and beat out Stapleton for the starting job. Last year, Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster started at right guard at various points in the season.

“When we bring guys in, we’ll train them at both positions,” Kugler said. “With only seven guys (on the offensive line) dressing on gameday, gone are the days when guys are just locked in at one position. They have to be able to play both. So when Keith comes in, we’ll train him at both right guard and left guard.”

Williams, who’s 6-5 ands 318, can’t wait until the NFL labor impasse ends so he can get started.

Like Keomeatu, Williams’ forte is run blocking. But with Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers’ highest-paid player, at quarterback, Williams knows he must improve his pass protection.

“In the run game, I’m very aggressive,” he said. “I like to finish. I like to get after it. When it comes to passing I need a little work there. But I’m ready to go.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 8591b.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-sixth-rounder-may-be-nasty-enough-to-play-soon/article_848e0dc4-8e80-59d8-a54a-9d9f29f8591b.html)

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2011, 05:36 PM
“In the run game, I’m very aggressive,” he said. “I like to finish. I like to get after it. When it comes to passing I need a little work there. But I’m ready to go.”

Am I the only one that pictured a Pedro Cerrano voice in my mind saying this, describing his strengths and weakness as an athlete in short, choppy sentences? I was waiting for him to ask Jobu to come.

"Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come."

steelblood
05-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I like what I hear and see from this kid. The run blocking looks promising. Hopefully most of his struggles in pass pro are technique related and not recognition or athleticism related. Kugs is my favorite assistant coach. He had that rag tag bunch playing lights out in the Super Bowl (except for Mendy's fumble :( and Kemo's missed block on that pick :oops: )