PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
welp. Definitely a name a few of us have talked about. I really have only seen him when I spent the week in Orlando for the East-West game. This is definitely a Dan Rooney (the scout) pick as this is his area of the country. Allen is our typical body-type prospect. I will say that he looked like he belonged in Orlando but has raw skills. I was talking with Chad Reuter of CBS sports about him, Chad likened him a little bit to Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie. I was really hoping for Carmichael here (damn Texas). I like the pick but I would say this was not a pick where the Steelers stuck to their board.

feltdizz
04-30-2011, 02:07 PM
welp. Definitely a name a few of us have talked about. I really have only seen him when I spent the week in Orlando for the East-West game. This is definitely a Dan Rooney (the scout) pick as this is his area of the country. Allen is our typical body-type prospect. I will say that he looked like he belonged in Orlando but has raw skills. I was talking with Chad Reuter of CBS sports about him, Chad likened him a little bit to Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie. I was really hoping for Carmichael here (damn Texas). I like the pick but I would say this was not a pick where the Steelers stuck to their board.

Who do you think is on the chopping block given 2 more CB's just being drafted?

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

I think they move Keenan Lewis to Safety.

Mundy and Maddison probably go.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Madison shouldn't be needed, now that we have Curtis Brown. I don't know about Lewis playing safety. Bonehead would likely be Anthony Smith revisited. I think Lewis is gone.

NJ-STEELER
04-30-2011, 03:35 PM

madison and gay?

papillon
04-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Madison, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Mcfadden...pick two

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 12:27 AM
I heard Tomlin get interviewed on ESPN and when asked about the Cortez Allen selection Tomlin answered," We were intrigued by his height/weight/speed measurables combination".

insanesteelersfan
05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I heard Tomlin get interviewed on ESPN and when asked about the Cortez Allen selection Tomlin answered," We were intrigued by his height/weight/speed measurables combination".

Well I hope it was more then just that. Otherwise why not draft Robert Sands as well :lol:

steelblood
05-01-2011, 08:34 AM
On the chopping block?

Madison, Gay, and Taylor aren't even on the team. They are all UFAs. Perhaps Gay be a RFA depending on the CBA, but MAdison is likely gone as Brown is a capable gunner and has much better coverage skills.

Right now our corners are

Lewis
Butler
McFadden
Corez Allen
Curtis Brown
and some camp fodder (Donovan Warren, Tuft Harris, etc.)

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM

I think Mundy has shown more than Will Allen at safety (which surprised me).

Hopefully some of these rooks can contribute on special teams immediately, because several of the guy on our roster that played ST almost exclusively could be gone next year (Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, Anthony Madison, Keyaron Fox).

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
On the chopping block?

Madison, Gay, and Taylor aren't even on the team. They are all UFAs. Perhaps Gay be a RFA depending on the CBA, but MAdison is likely gone as Brown is a capable gunner and has much better coverage skills.

Lewis
Butler
McFadden
Corez Allen
Curtis Brown

Does this scare anyone else but myself?

steelblood
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
:lol:

On the chopping block?

Lewis
Butler
McFadden
Corez Allen
Curtis Brown

Does this scare anyone else but myself?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The above is how I reacted to Shawn's post.

Shawn
05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I hear ya blood. We can not field a winning team with those guys as our DBs. We might...just might be able to eek out 10 wins against a soft schedule. But, I wouldn't expect one playoff win with those guys. While I will agree with Chadman, a healthy McFadden isn't as bad as some make him out to be...McFadden being far and away the Steelers best DB is sad.

We must sign a good FA...and with the market how will that happen?

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Steelers' Allen takes unique path to pros

Posted June 04, 2011
By Mike Wilkening

http://www.jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CortezAllen2.jpg

Steelers rookie CB Cortez Allen played collegiately at The Citadel, the Charleston, S.C. military academy where about a third of its graduating students will go on to serve in various branches of the armed services.

Allen is going on to a different professional career, but his Citadel experience sticks with him as he prepares for the NFL.

"I guess the best thing (is) I've learned how to put in the extra work to be successful," he told PFW. "Nothing is really given to you."

Allen, the Steelers' fourth-round pick, did not play varsity football until his senior year at North Marion High School in Ocala, Fla. He missed his freshman year with a groin injury. As a sophomore, told to pick one sport by his father, he chose basketball. As a junior, he finally chose football, but he was placed on the junior varsity.

That's not a well-worn path to take to be noticed by collegiate coaches, but Allen played well enough as a senior to draw interest from a handful of schools, most notably Cincinnati. But The Citadel, and the belief that the academy would give him a chance to be "set up for life," was his choice.

The 6-1, 197-pound Allen played sparingly as a true freshman in 2006, then missed the '07 season with an ACL tear suffered playing basketball. However, he returned in '08 to become a part-time starter, then entered the lineup full time in his final two collegiate seasons, intercepting three passes in '09 and two in 2010.

With the Steelers, whom he visited before the draft, he'll have no shortage of good teachers. His position coach, Carnell Lake, was a standout Steelers defensive back. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is a Hall of Fame cornerback. Head coach Mike Tomlin made his name early in his career as a defensive backs coach. Allen also cited veteran CB Ike Taylor as someone who can teach him.

"There's just so many avenues to learn from, which is a great opportunity for me," Allen said.

Allen's relative inexperience could be an asset, Lake said during the draft.

"That is the beauty of this pick," Lake said. "He played one year of high school football and moved around a little bit, playing the corner at The Citadel. The Citadel is not a 'football factory.' A lot of the work that he gets is very limited in terms of football.

"I asked him when he came to visit us, 'How much time do you get to work on your craft(?)' He said, 'I don't get a lot of time because I have to do The Citadel stuff.'

"So I said, this guy is really playing well, and he's not working on his craft that much because of his limited time. If he can spend a lot of time working on his craft, I see a lot of upside for him. I think that is one of the reasons why we selected him."

Allen said that during football season, he was excused from military drills on Tuesday and Thursday, but a normal day would have him waking at 6:30 a.m., getting into his cadet uniform and marching to breakfast. Then it was off to class. After practice and mandatory study hall, his day wouldn't be over until 10 p.m.

Allen, who said his range and press coverage are two of his top skills, is working out at The Citadel with the Bulldogs' CB coach, Gerald Dixon, who played with the Lions and Bills from 2002-04. Dixon has told Allen that special teams will be key to him contributing early and that "you have to keep that motor going at all times," Allen said.

Allen, a team captain, said he made sure to get in extra on-field work at The Citadel and believes he can handle the transition to the NFL level. He anticipates being used outside in the Steelers' scheme.

"I feel pretty good, confident, in my ability to play off(-man) and on(-man) (coverage) right now," he said.

http://burgh.us/55q

steelz09
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Madison, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Mcfadden...pick two

Pappy

Out of that list, I'd pick Madison and Gay

feltdizz
06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Gay isn't going anywhere... Gay does what he is asked to do, keep the WR in front of him and don't give up the big play. He knows the system, he isn't expensive and I think he is pretty good at blitzing the QB. Gay had some good games last year and he had some bad ones. I'll take that over a newbie learning on the fly next year. We know the chances of that happening are slim, especially with the lockout in place.

Fans need to realize our CB situation is like our OL situation... our FO is smart enough to realize they can get by with average talent in a few areas.

We almost beat GB with 3 TO's and a pick 6 by our offense. Our D was lit up by AR but umm... AR has lit up a ton of D's. Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

3 SB's in 6 years... I know it's blasphemy to say but we aren't going to the SB every year. Our FO knows this so they will address our needs in a calm and practical manner.

jj28west
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

And there it is..."pressure" . The DB's are what they are but they did not play horrible IMO in the SB. A lot of others will look back and say they were exposed. I think they played there rolls adequately in the scheme. Maybe Lamaar & James were hurt but they did not get in Aarons head and blitzes were fairly neutralized.

We all knew what was coming so Tomlin and company were not surprised by people getting open in the underbelly of the defense. Instead we see an injured Troy look out of place or Farrior trailing and say he is too slow when really its the pressure that failed IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Gay isn't going anywhere... Gay does what he is asked to do, keep the WR in front of him and don't give up the big play. He knows the system, he isn't expensive and I think he is pretty good at blitzing the QB. Gay had some good games last year and he had some bad ones. I'll take that over a newbie learning on the fly next year. We know the chances of that happening are slim, especially with the lockout in place.

Fans need to realize our CB situation is like our OL situation... our FO is smart enough to realize they can get by with average talent in a few areas.

We almost beat GB with 3 TO's and a pick 6 by our offense. Our D was lit up by AR but umm... AR has lit up a ton of D's. Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

3 SB's in 6 years... I know it's blasphemy to say but we aren't going to the SB every year. Our FO knows this so they will address our needs in a calm and practical manner.

I'd agree with you if Gay were currently under contract (although he's not a good outside corner, I don't mind him playing nickel corner, as long as the team doesn't have him trying to cover 6'5" TE's anymore), but his contract is up. After drafting 2 rookie CB's (Brown and Allen) with 2 other young CB's on the roster (Butler and Lewis), signing another young CB Donovan Warren to a futures contract after last season, plus extending McFadden's contract after trading for him during the draft last year, I think that they may focus on re-signing Ike to start, and then realize that they have enough young depth that they'd let Gay peddle his wares on the open market. If no one bites, and they can get him back on the cheap, then maybe.

Oviedo
06-06-2011, 04:24 PM

I'd agree with you if Gay were currently under contract (although he's not a good outside corner, I don't mind him playing nickel corner, as long as the team doesn't have him trying to cover 6'5" TE's anymore), but his contract is up. After drafting 2 rookie CB's (Brown and Allen) with 2 other young CB's on the roster (Butler and Lewis), signing another young CB Donovan Warren to a futures contract after last season, plus extending McFadden's contract after trading for him during the draft last year, I think that they may focus on re-signing Ike to start, and then realize that they have enough young depth that they'd let Gay peddle his wares on the open market. If no one bites, and they can get him back on the cheap, then maybe.

I only see Gay back if they can't resign Ike and then that becomes a desperate move since he is the only other CB we have who knows the system and has started.

As pointed out, we are loaded with guys who project covering the slot and I would hope Curtis Brown gets first shot but unlikely LeBeau ever gives him a chance. I don't think Lewis gets more than one more season and he will probably be passed by guys like Butler, Brown and Allen. I think Donovan Warren is nothing more than a camp body unless they want to give him a look at safety.

NJ-STEELER
06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

And there it is..."pressure" . The DB's are what they are but they did not play horrible IMO in the SB. A lot of others will look back and say they were exposed. I think they played there rolls adequately in the scheme. Maybe Lamaar & James were hurt but they did not get in Aarons head and blitzes were fairly neutralized.

We all knew what was coming so Tomlin and company were not surprised by people getting open in the underbelly of the defense. Instead we see an injured Troy look out of place or Farrior trailing and say he is too slow when really its the pressure that failed IMO.

there were times the full blitz was on. and when it was, the receivers were open immediately. unless they get to the QB as its snapped, they'll usually be an open receiver with our secondary
look at the 3rd and 10 that had clark go play nelson while mcfadden creeped up to the end of the LOS to come in on a corner blitz.

same type of thing happned with gay on nelson when gay tried to deflect the ball and jordy dropped what would have been a TD

ryan clark on any receiver 1 on 1 is a mismatch for the offense

feltdizz
06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I was impressed by Mundy's play last year. I like Clark's hitting capabilities but that is against NFL rules and Clark has injured our players with the his launching abilities.

No one is going to give Gay a deal so he will be back. Ike is the unknown. Once we find out where he is going it will all fall into place.

I still think Ike is gone.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I think Gay's future hinges on what happens with Taylor ultimately. If he is retained when the new CBA is in place, depending on the accrued season needed for UFA, he might not be under a tender. Even if he returns on a tender, if the young CBs show something he might be a numbers release. Ike is a priority so if he is retained you have to assume that Brown & Allen would be on the 53 this year. So That doesn't leave much space for anyone else because I highly doubt the don't keep McFadden at least this year. So there you have 4. Don't forget about Lewis & Butler. There could be room if the view Lewis & Gay as better roster fits because they can play CB & FS. Tough to call. I think the thing that is clear is...I wouldn't want to be a CB going into your 3rd year or older on this team sitting at #2 on back because everyone just pulled even with you.

Oviedo
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I think Gay's future hinges on what happens with Taylor ultimately. If he is retained when the new CBA is in place, depending on the accrued season needed for UFA, he might not be under a tender. Even if he returns on a tender, if the young CBs show something he might be a numbers release. Ike is a priority so if he is retained you have to assume that Brown & Allen would be on the 53 this year. So That doesn't leave much space for anyone else because I highly doubt the don't keep McFadden at least this year. So there you have 4. Don't forget about Lewis & Butler. There could be room if the view Lewis & Gay as better roster fits because they can play CB & FS. Tough to call. I think the thing that is clear is...I wouldn't want to be a CB going into your 3rd year or older on this team sitting at #2 on back because everyone just pulled even with you.

If IKe leaves then Gay's value to the Steelers increases alot. If Ike stays Gay will likely go.

I agree that Brown and Allen are locks for the roster which means that we need to have a net decrease of two at a minimum. Anthony Madison has to be one of them because he is useless and I pretty much have already forgotten about Lewis. He blew his chance last year to be a difference maker.

TallyStiller
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM

If IKe leaves then Gay's value to the Steelers increases alot. If Ike stays Gay will likely go.

I agree that Brown and Allen are locks for the roster which means that we need to have a net decrease of two at a minimum. Anthony Madison has to be one of them because he is useless and I pretty much have already forgotten about Lewis. He blew his chance last year to be a difference maker.

Been "just reading" and away for awhile... shall return with this. I think Keenan Lewis ends up on the outside looking in. He reminds of a guy we had here in Tallahassee a few years back - Chris Rix. Just an amazing physical talent at QB, terribly impressive to the coaching staff, all "yes, sirs" and "how can I do this better" - until game time. As soon as he stepped on the field, everything he learned was out the window, and he was playing streetball. Sometimes it worked - 2 victories over the Gators, piles of points in many ball games. Just as often it didn't, and a program that won 10 games a season by birthright began a decade long decline. I think Lewis looked good at the combine and in pre - draft season, but the fact that he isn't seeing the field despite the universally admitted thinness of the position speaks volumes about the coaching staff's level of confidence in him, and I think they'll cut bait and move on quickly here. Too many guys behind him who could develop given the time and attention he'd be taking up.

Difference between him and Chris Rix is that the Steeler FO already showed the wisdom to admit it's mistake by drafting two new corners... FSU spent four years with nobody better than Rix around. It got so bad that they moved Anquan Boldin from WR to start a Sugar Bowl. Hopefully the new guys turn out better than Lewis has.

jj28west
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM

there were times the full blitz was on. and when it was, the receivers were open immediately. unless they get to the QB as its snapped, they'll usually be an open receiver with our secondary
look at the 3rd and 10 that had clark go play nelson while mcfadden creeped up to the end of the LOS to come in on a corner blitz.

same type of thing happned with gay on nelson when gay tried to deflect the ball and jordy dropped what would have been a TD

ryan clark on any receiver 1 on 1 is a mismatch for the offense

It really makes you appreciate what the Gmen did to the Pats in the SB. I dont think their corners were all world. Just pressure from the front four with that fire zone blitz.

I am now trying to think when was the last quality defensive performace the Steelers had against a top tier QB. Then again that is why this QB's are noted as elite.