PDA

View Full Version : 4th Round Pick: Cortez Allen CB

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok...but I think he could have been had in the 5th or 6th round?? He has the potential to develope into a solid player...however...he is a developmental player at this point.

Shoe
04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I disagree. Both Nawrocki and Kiper say the guy has legitimate star(ter) potential. As said on NFLN, his write-up smack of Ike Taylor. Now granted, drafted on potential can net you Ricardo Colclough as much as it can Ike Taylor. But IMO at this point in the draft, I don't think you can wait it out, and draft someone who may be more of a known commodity but who's ceiling is more limited... Allen sounds like he has legitimate potential.

D Rock
04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I think they know they are going to resign Ike. And this basically means Willie Gay is gone for sure.

Ike, McFadden, with Brown getting time this year in the nickel.

Allen will get some time to learn and hopefully the future will be Allen, Brown, Butler as the top 3. I don't think McFadden signs another contract after this one is up, at least not to be a starter.

steelz09
04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't think you can wait around to see if Allen would fall to the 5th or 6th.

The kid is a big, athletic CB. They even said that in mobile, he wasn't overwhelmed when matched up against bigger school / programs prospects.

feltdizz
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I think they know they are going to resign Ike. And this basically means Willie Gay is gone for sure.

Allen will get some time to learn and hopefully the future will be Allen, Brown, Butler as the top 3. I don't think McFadden signs another contract after this one is up, at least not to be a starter.

I disagree... I think drafting 2 more CB's is an indication Ike is gone.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I disagree. Both Nawrocki and Kiper say the guy has legitimate star(ter) potential. As said on NFLN, his write-up smack of Ike Taylor. Now granted, drafted on potential can net you Ricardo Colclough as much as it can Ike Taylor. But IMO at this point in the draft, I don't think you can wait it out, and draft someone who may be more of a known commodity but who's ceiling is more limited... Allen sounds like he has legitimate potential.

What are you disagreeing about? That he isnt a developmental player? You think he's a starter right away? No you dont...you cant possibly...so in that case you are agreeing he needs to develope. And that is what I too am saying. I thing he has the potential to become a starter down the road...but that's down the road. I think Devon House is far more ready than he is and Devon House was still on the board.

D Rock
04-30-2011, 02:20 PM

I disagree... I think drafting 2 more CB's is an indication Ike is gone.

They drafted 2 CBs a couple years back with Burnett and Lewis. Neither worked out. Basically they are right back in the same spot again with Brown and Allen trying to do what Burnett and Lewis could not.

Ike gets resigned, Gay is gone, K. Lewis gets cut. McFadden will be healthy. Madison is gone, Brown can do his job on ST.

Ike, McFadden, Brown, Butler, Allen this year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I would have preferred Davon House as well, but I trust our front office, since they know these guys more intimately than I do, of course. I don't mind taking a developmental high upside guy who may take some time from a small school in the 4th round (which is where we took Ike out of Louisiana-LaFayette once upon a time), which is better than taking the developmental small school guy after trading up in round 2 (Tusculum's Ricardo Colclough). I like that we filled our needs in the first 3 rounds with productive players from big time schools (Ohio State, Florida, Texas), but on day 3 of the draft is time to start taking chances of upside...that's Cortez Allen.

Comparing Curtis Brown to Cortez Allen, I think Allen has the higher ceiling, but Brown has the higher floor. Brown should contribute faster, and is unlikely to be a bust, but he may only have Deshea Townsend potential (solid but not spectacular) while Allen has a chance to be another Ike if Carnell is able to develop him as we expect, but he is also far more likely to be a flop than Brown. Brown is safer, Allen is risk/reward who may be better or may not be anything...we'll see. Personally, I like the pick. He's also a smart kid with military discipline.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I would have preferred Davon House as well, but I trust our front office, since they know these guys more intimately than I do, of course. I don't mind taking a developmental high upside guy who may take some time from a small school in the 4th round (which is where we took Ike out of Louisiana-LaFayette once upon a time), which is better than taking the developmental small school guy after trading up in round 2 (Tusculum's Ricardo Colclough). I like that we filled our needs in the first 3 rounds with productive players from big time schools (Ohio State, Florida, Texas), but on day 3 of the draft is time to start taking chances of upside...that's Cortez Allen.

Comparing Curtis Brown to Cortez Allen, I think Allen has the higher ceiling, but Brown has the higher floor. Brown should contribute faster, and is unlikely to be a bust, but he may only have Deshea Townsend potential (solid but not spectacular) while Allen has a chance to be another Ike if Carnell is able to develop him as we expect, but he is also far more likely to be a flop than Brown. Brown is safer, Allen is risk/reward who may be better or may not be anything...we'll see. Personally, I like the pick. He's also a smart kid with military discipline.

Great post Ruthless!!! :Clap

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope Allen turns out to be another Ike Taylor. We'll need one.

Shoe
04-30-2011, 02:49 PM

What are you disagreeing about? That he isnt a developmental player? You think he's a starter right away? No you dont...you cant possibly...so in that case you are agreeing he needs to develope. And that is what I too am saying. I thing he has the potential to become a starter down the road...but that's down the road. I think Devon House is far more ready than he is and Devon House was still on the board.

I'm just disagreeing that you can wait til 5th or 6th to take a guy like this. I would really hate it (if I were drafting), if I thought a kid had serious potential... and I waited too long for him, expecting him to be there later, in lieu of taking a guy who may seem more ready now, but didn't have near the ceiling of the other kid. That's the way I feel, just reading on Allen vs. this House kid that you mention. Comparing him with Allen... Allen seems (again, just by reading up on them) to have more upside.

Allen is a developmental guy... that we aren't debating.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm just disagreeing that you can wait til 5th or 6th to take a guy like this. I would really hate it (if I were drafting), if I thought a kid had serious potential... and I waited too long for him, expecting him to be there later, in lieu of taking a guy who may seem more ready now, but didn't have near the ceiling of the other kid. That's the way I feel, just reading on Allen vs. this House kid that you mention. Comparing him with Allen... Allen seems (again, just by reading up on them) to have more upside.

Allen is a developmental guy... that we aren't debating.

Well then we do agree. Good points. And the Steelers FO knows more than I will ever know.

Shawn
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I wanted DJ Williams but I am happy with the pick.

NJ-STEELER
04-30-2011, 03:40 PM
did both house and allen come in for a visit?? i know allen did

could have swayed he pick if so

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Fourth-round corner Allen's pedigree mirrors Ike Taylor's

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 1, 2011

A fourth-round pick with good size but little experience from a nontraditional football school? It worked out well for the Steelers before.

Eight years ago, they drafted cornerback Ike Taylor in the fourth round (124th overall) out of Louisiana-Lafayette, even though he had played the position only two years.

The Steelers again opted to select a cornerback in fourth round, choosing with the Cortez Allen — a 6-foot-1, 197-pound corner out of out of The Citadel — with the 128th pick.

"This is a height, weight, speed prospect along the lines of Ike Taylor physically," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent, and with the uncertainty surrounding the NFL's labor situation and free agency put on hold, the Steelers are uncertain whether they will be able to lock up Taylor with a long-term deal — especially because his asking price might approach $10 million a season.

So the Steelers addressed their need at cornerback in the draft when they selected Texas' Curtis Brown in the third round and Allen in the fourth.

While Brown may be more of a polished prospect, Allen has raw talent. He played just one year of high school football, started only 28 games for a Division I-AA program and had just five interceptions.

"The Citadel is not a football factory," defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. " A lot of the work that he gets is very limited in terms of football, but we noticed that with limited experience, he looked pretty natural at cornerback."

Allen split time with his mom in San Diego and dad in Ocala, Fla., preventing him from playing youth football. He didn't decide to go out for the high school team until his junior year.

Despite a eye-opening senior year at North Marion (Fla.), where he allowed just three completions to receivers all season and was named to the Florida all-state team, Allen decided to attend The Citadel, a military college in Charleston, S.C., where football wasn't always his first priority.

So when Allen visited the Steelers last month, Lake wanted to know just how much time he was afforded to work on his football skills.

"He said, 'I don't get a lot of time because I have to do The Citadel stuff,'" Lake said. "So I said this guy is really playing well, and he's not working on his craft that much because of his limited time. If he can spend a lot of time working on his craft, I see a lot of upside for him."

Allen, who doesn't have any military obligations after graduating in December, thinks The Citadel helped him get drafted by the Steelers.

"I don't think it hindered me at all," Allen said. "If anything, it made me a better person to be able to manage all that. I felt that if I worked hard enough, I would get noticed playing football."

The Steelers are thin at corner, making Allen's development paramount. William Gay is also an unrestricted free agent, leaving Bryant McFadden and unproven Keenan Lewis as the other top corners on the roster.

STEELERS' THIRD-DAY DRAFT PICKS

FOURTH ROUND

Cortez Allen

College: The Citadel

Class: Senior

Position: CB

Height: 6-1

Weight: 197

Notables: Allen, 23, finished career with 120 tackles, 20 pass deflections, two fumble recoveries and five interceptions. ... Started 28 of 39 games for the Bulldogs. ... Did not allow any receptions in 13 of the 29 games he started. ... Only played one year of high school varsity football at North Marion High School in Ocala, Fla., but was named Florida all-state as a senior. He allowed only three receptions his senior year. ... Graduated from The Citadel in December with a health and wellness degree. ... Missed the 2007 season because of a torn ACL. ... Was a 2010 second-team All-Conference selection. ... Is only the second Division I-AA player the Steelers have drafted in the Kevin Colbert era, joining Hofstra's Willie Colon in 2006. ... Visited the Steelers on April 7. ... Ran a 4.5 40-yard dash.

FIFTH ROUND

Chris Carter

College: Fresno State

Year: Senior

Position: LB

Height: 6-1

Weight: 248

Notables: Allen, 22, started 38 games (32 at defensive end and six at outside linebacker). ... Started the final 26 games of his collegiate career at defensive end. ... Will be converted to a pass-rushing linebacker with the Steelers. ... Was the WAC Defensive Player of the Year as a senior; collected 11 sacks and 16.5 tackles for losses. ... Finished his career with 19.5 sacks and 205 tackles. ... Seventh all-time at Fresno State in sacks. ... Studied philosophy and pre-law. ... Earned Academic All-State honors at Henry K. Kaiser High School in Fontana, Calif. ... Ran 4.58 40-yard dash at the Combine. ... Older brother David Carter - a 6-3, 297-pound defensive tackle at UCLA -- was selected by Arizona in the sixth round.

SIXTH ROUND

Keith Williams

College: Nebraska

Position: OG

Height: 6-4

Weight: 318

Notables: Just turned 23. ... Ran a 5.28 40-yard dash at the Combine. ... Williams finished his career with 34 starts, the most of any of Nebraska's 2010 offensive players, and played in 50 total games. ... Helped lead the Cornhuskers to the top rushing offense in the Big 12. ... His play helped Nebraska rack up 10 games with 200 rushing yards, including back-to-back 300-yard rushing efforts early in his senior year against Idaho and Washington ... Is a very physical guard who can pull effectively to either side. ... Can play either guard spot. ... Needs to work on his pass protection skills. ... Visited the Steelers on April 19.

SEVENTH ROUND

Baron Batch

College: Texas Tech

Position: RB

Height: 5-10

Weight: 210

Notables: A speedy third down back with good hands and quickness. ... Ranks eighth on the school's career rushing yardage list (2,501). ... Ranks ninth on the career all-purpose yardage list (3,612). ... Tallied the most career all-purpose yards since Danny Amendola (3,839, 2004-07). ... Tied for eighth place on Tech career touchdowns list (32). ... Played in 13 games (11 starts) and led team with 177 carries and 816 yards (4.6 avg.) rushing while averaging a team-high 62.8 yards per game as a senior. ... Became just the eighth Texas Tech player with 2,500 career rushing yards. ... Had injured Achilles tendon that kept him out during his sophomore year. ... Will be 24 in December. ... Writes a blog: baronbatch.blogspot.com.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1L55sVho2 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_734883.html#ixzz1L55sVho2)

papillon
05-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Here are the Steeler picks in rounds 2 through 6 with the next 5 players chosen (which means they were available to the Steeler) for a look at who they passed on. Except for an ILB that went early in the third (after our 2nd), an NT that went after Brown and potentially a swap of House for Allen in my opinion the Steelers did what they needed to do and did it well.

Round 2 - Glibert
Available:
Randall Cobb - RB
Terrell McClain - DL
Dontay Moch - DL
Nate Irving - ILB (Depth inside)
Kelvin Sheppard - LB

Round 3 - Curtis Brown
Available:
Alex Green - RB
Sione Fua - NT (Snacks Replacement)
Brandon Hogan - DB
KJ Wright - LB
Da'Norris Searcy - DB

Round 4 - Cortez Allen
Available:
Julius Thomas - TE
Jamie Harper - RB
Davon House - CB
Kealoha Pilares - WR
Johnny White - RB

Round 5 - Chris Carter
Daniel Kilgore - OL
Chykie Brown - DB
Pernell McPhee - DL
Lawrence Wilson - LB
Ryan Whalen - WR

Round 6 - Keith Williams
Available:
Ricky Elmore - DL
Tyler Sash - SS
Jerrell Powe - NT
Ross Homan - DL
Steve Schilling

I'm sure there are players many fans would rather over who was actually drafted, but looking at what was immediately available after the Steelers made their selections it's hard to argue with what they did.

Pappy

Chadman
05-01-2011, 09:45 AM
did both house and allen come in for a visit?? i know allen did

could have swayed he pick if so

Both came in.

Reading Baron Batch's interview- he was in on the same day as curtis Brown- apparently there was a ST play that Batch was watching & had Batch running down none other than Curtis Brown- coaches brought Brown in to watch & explain himself on the spot.. :D

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

Posted by Tom Jenkins May 1, 2011

With the 128th overall pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected a high character football player, hailing from The Citadel, one of the United States’ military academies. In a rare move by the Steelers, they selected corner backs in back-to-back rounds, selecting Cortez Allen in the fourth round, after selecting Curtis Brown in the third.

When I say ‘rare’, I mean rare. The Steelers haven’t picked corners in back to back picks since taking Lance Brown and Barron Miles in the 1995 NFL Draft. The Steelers front office and coaching staff definitely saw something special in both of these players, and Steelers fans are definitely glad for the secondary help.

Allen is a big corner, standing over six feet tall, and weighing nearly 200 pounds, he’s drawing a lot of comparisons to Ike Taylor, because of his size and not so great hands, but Steelers fans can’t complain too much about a corner not picking off passes, as long as he’s not giving up scores.

If you watch film of Allen, the first thing you’ll notice and be simply amazed by is the fluidity of his backpedal and the way that his hips flip to run with the receiver nearly effortlessly. Being nearly 6’2, he’s going to have to really concentrate on staying a little lower in his backpedal, but other than that it’s one of the best you’ll see.

While he doesn’t have elite upper body strength, that doesn’t mean that he won’t fight with the receiver at the line, in fact he excels at it. He seems to love using his hands to disrupt the timing of the receivers route and tends to keep receivers at the line on a consistent basis.

When coming up to play the run, you’ll notice that his reaction time is absolutely great, it’s almost as if he can read the offense’s mind. Because of his upper body strength, he tends to jump around blockers and while not going for the big hit, as is apparently the standard in the Steelers secondary, he instead cuts the ball carrier at the leg, which isn’t ideal – we’d rather see these guys form tackle, with the wrap up and all.

Another great thing about Allen is the fact that he plays with his heart on his sleeve, and you can clearly see that from his hustle factor alone. From the most basic of youth football practices you’ll find a drill where the whistle doesn’t blow until all 11 members of the defense are swarming the ball, at the pinnacle of the football world, the NFL, however oftentimes you don’t see players swarming the ball except for on the elite defenses.

Cortez will be the guy sprinting from one side of the field to the other to cut the ball carrier off and give aid to his teammates. Something you love to see from anyone playing on your defense, for sure.

Allen will get his chance to prove himself in training camp and the pre-season, and it should be a fun couple of battles to watch. I see him primarily as a special teams player during his rookie campaign, but with the way that the Steelers like to groom players, should that happen, you can be sure there is another reason that he’s along for the ride.

Perhaps best of all, he’s one of the Steelers rookies that is generally accessible by the fans, via his Twitter account – @zetroqlequon. So, if you’ve got one, or even if you don’t – follow him and show one of the young guns of Steelers Nation some love!

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/0 ... llen.html/ (http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/05/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-rookie-icebreaker-cortez-allen.html/)