PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy or Cam, Better pro IYO?

Shoe
04-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Both were picks at the end of the 1st, both drafted to be 3-4 ends. Opinions?

SteelCrazy
04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Ziggy...I've watched Cam for 4 years now and from what I have seen from both I give it to Ziggy. Pure strength gives it to Ziggy, imo. Cam is not far behind, but he doesnt have the pure bull strength that Zig does.

1 vote Ziggy

WoodleyofTroy
04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Cameron Heyward is a perfect fit for the end in the 3-4. When Hood came along, no one knew for sure where he would go ("Are we switching to a 4-3?" "Can he backup Casey Hampton"?, etc).

To me, Hood is Timmons, and Heyward is Woodley.

+1 Heyward

Shoe
04-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Just trying to get a gauge on people and the level of their enthusiasm for the kid. To me, the ceiling for Cam (and probably Ziggy for that matter) is Gerald Williams, from back in the day for those who remember? I know Williams #98 was a NT, but if I recall, he was drafted as a DE and moved to NT out of necessity. But in terms of impact, he was just a solid guy.

As opposed to a prime Aaron Smith, who was an impact player.

Dee Dub
04-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Cameron Heyward is a perfect fit for the end in the 3-4. When Hood came along, no one knew for sure where he would go ("Are we switching to a 4-3?" "Can he backup Casey Hampton"?, etc).

+1 Heyward

Agree!! And I believe Heyward's upside is far greater. Heyward has the ability to be dominant. He is more athletic and can be used by LeBeau to drop in coverage. Heres a guy who can get to the QB, stuff the run, and also drop into passing lanes. I like that a lot. But...I also like Ziggy. Just a different kind of ability.

rpmpit
04-30-2011, 03:16 PM
This thread has gotten me psyched about our DLine. If AS comes back healthy. He, ZIGGY, Casey, BK and Heyward....WOW!!! You know how they're always saying we have the best lb corps in the leauge? They might be saying that about our DLine soon. Now if we can just ask the opposing teams not to throw against us, we'll be fine!! :lol:

Shawn
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I personally think Heyward is just as strong as Ziggy but more "twitchy". Heyward has a quick powerful burst. Heyward has a strong work ethic and loves the game. I think they will both be great pros but I would give Heyward the edge.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Right now, I'd have to give the edge to the player who has actually made the roster and played at the professional level. Don't get me wrong, I hope Heyward hits all-pro level, but as of today, he's an entirely unproven commodity in the NFL.

Shoe
04-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Right now, I'd have to give the edge to the player who has actually made the roster and played at the professional level. Don't get me wrong, I hope Heyward hits all-pro level, but as of today, he's an entirely unproven commodity in the NFL.

That's true, and you are right. But I still think it's valid (to compare) because, despite Ziggy showing signs and getting some valuable playing time as a result of injuries, he still has a lot more to go to prove he is a dependable NFL starter IMO, let alone a star of any sort.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM

:Agree

you took the words right out of my mouth...

birtikidis
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Ziggy here. I think he just has a motor. Thing is, our DL isn't going to ever look great. that's what linebackers are for.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM

That's true, and you are right. But I still think it's valid (to compare) because, despite Ziggy showing signs and getting some valuable playing time as a result of injuries, he still has a lot more to go to prove he is a dependable NFL starter IMO, let alone a star of any sort.

I think this past season proved Ziggy can be a dependable starter.

Whether he will develop into a star remains to be seen.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Harris: Heyward selection sign of things to come

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ziggy Hood. Now Cameron Heyward. Meet the second defensive end selected by the Steelers in the first round covering their last three drafts, which is more of a trend than a coincidence.

Which means it's time to re-read a passage from my column appearing three years ago, a day after the Steelers selected Rashard Mendenhall in the first round despite Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker's monster season of 1,316 rushing yards:

"The clock on Parker's career with the Steelers is now officially ticking toward its inevitable conclusion.''

Parker totaled 1,180 yards in his final two seasons with the Steelers. When the team opted not to re-sign him following the 2009 season, it became Mendenhall's job to lose.

Now, replace Parker's name with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Preparing for the future at defensive end also means preparing to say good-bye.

Not in 2011. But soon. Maybe sooner than we think.

Smith is 35, Keisel will be 33 at the start of next season.

Hood is 24, Heyward turns 22 on Friday. Do the math.

You don't sit first-round money. And, sooner or later, youth trumps experience.

The Steelers drafted Hood and Heyward to be their bookend defensive ends of the future.

"More than anything, it's just a reflection of our willingness to fortify ourselves in the line of scrimmage. ... and just doing a nice job of acquiring some talented, big men,'' coach Mike Tomlin said.

"I told (defensive line) coach John Mitchell get us a nice tackle for next year, and we will be set for about 10 more years,'' defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau said. "I think you saw steady progress and good contribution from Ziggy Hood even from his first year and last year for sure. I think they are similar type players.''

Hood spent his first two years learning how to play 3-4 defensive end. Last season, Hood stepped up when Smith was limited to the first six games because of a triceps injury.

Tomlin wasted a roster spot and inexplicably didn't place Smith on injured reserve because he held out hope that Smith, who never fully participated in a practice much less a game, following surgery would reward his faith.

It was a sincere gesture for a respected veteran, albeit a bad football move.

Since '07, Smith has had three different surgeries on his biceps, rotator cuff and triceps. No way his body could be expected to respond to game action so soon following his latest surgery. Otherwise, he would have suited up for Super Bowl XLV.

Nevertheless, the Steelers learned something during Smith's absence: Their run defense didn't collapse with Hood on the field.

No one takes on double-team blocks against the run like Smith. Certainly not Hood, who needs to improve his upper-body strength. But Smith doesn't have Hood's athleticism.

Smith is entering the final year of his contract (valued at $4.5 million). It's likely that Hood will continue to start on the left side, with Smith likely being featured on running downs.

Keisel, who has three years remaining on his deal, will continue to start at right end with Heyward looking over his shoulder.

How long it remains that way depends on how quickly Heyward justifies the Steelers' faith in drafting him.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1L5Auk563 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_734766.html#ixzz1L5Auk563)

papillon
05-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, Ziggy has actually taken NFL snaps in a game and made plays, so he gets my vote. I'd love to be having this debate in 3 years and trying to determine which one is the better player and why the Pro Bowl voters are snubbing the Steeler 3-4 DEs. :)

Pappy

Shawn
05-01-2011, 09:49 AM

+1 Heyward

Agree!! And I believe Heyward's upside is far greater. Heyward has the ability to be dominant. He is more athletic and can be used by LeBeau to drop in coverage. Heres a guy who can get to the QB, stuff the run, and also drop into passing lanes. I like that a lot. But...I also like Ziggy. Just a different kind of ability.

That is the thing some don't know about Heyward. When occasionally asked to drop into coverage, he showed natural ability to cover.

Chadman
05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Not sure- both bring different skills to the table.

One thing is for certain- get a young, high round NT soon, and the Steelers have the POTENTIAL to feature the best 3-4 DL for years to come.

steelblood
05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
They are different ends for different situations. Hood is stout and strong to play against right tackles and TEs on the run side. Heyward is long and a little more athletic to compete against athletic left tackles on the finesse side. It is sort of like the difference between Smith and Keisel. I think Hood and Heyward will both be good pros.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Cam Heyward vs. Arkansas > Ziggy Hood > Cam Heyward vs. Wisconsin

Captain Lemming
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
They are different ....for different situations. Hood is stout and strong to play against right tackles and TEs on the run side. Cam is long and a little more athletic to compete against athletic left tackles on the finesse side. It is sort of like the difference between Smith and Keisel. I think Hood and Heyward will both be good pros.

Yes, Cam is longer and more athletic. He is much faster and can throw the ball too, they are not alike at all.

The whole comparison is weird.
Cam is a Q.........wait....
We are not talking about Cam Newton are we.......NEVERMIND. :oops:

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2011, 11:58 AM
They are different ....for different situations. Hood is stout and strong to play against right tackles and TEs on the run side. Cam is long and a little more athletic to compete against athletic left tackles on the finesse side. It is sort of like the difference between Smith and Keisel. I think Hood and Heyward will both be good pros.

Yes, Cam is longer and more athletic. He is much faster and can throw the ball too, they are not alike at all.

The whole comparison is weird.
Cam is a Q.........wait....
We are not talking about Cam Newton are we.......NEVERMIND. :oops:

Cameron Newton, Cameron Heyward, Cameron Jordan, Jordan Cameron...It's all so confusing.

[youtube:8l5vvajf]HGMnnQUZ9R8[/youtube:8l5vvajf]