PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are setup to sign Ike

steelz09
04-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I think the Steelers are setup now to sign Ike. They drafted Gilbert in the second and he will likely play RT.

That means that Gilbert will be setup to be the RT of the future. Now what does that do? That means the Steelers won't spend all the money on Colon. And Adams won't play beyond 2011.

With the money freed up longer term, Ike is now obtainable.

The Steelers had a decision to make. Sign Colon and let Ike walk or sign Ike and let Colon walk. They definitely couldn't sign both especially with players like Timmons, Woodley, etc getting ready for new contracts.

I think the Gilbert pick is writing on the wall. Steelers are going with Ike.

Steelgal
04-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Agreed... Here was a tweet from Wexell last night

"I'm hearing good things today about the chances of re-signing Ike. That's all I've got for you. Sorry to leave it short."

Lebsteel
04-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I have confidence that the Steelers will not pay a 31 year old CB a ridiculous sum of money for too many years....maybe a 4 yr deal worth $28 mil? More than that, I'd pay a much better and younger corner like Asomugha a few more mil per year.

Shawn
04-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Good post , and I agree. Ridiculous money? I would say Ike's contract will be in line with 4 yrs/32 million. Is he worth that? Absolutely.

flippy
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Ike's got a special bond with Rooney. There's no way I see him leaving. All this talk about him leaving is just his agent trying to get his client the best contract possible.

And I don't care about Ike's age. He's in perfect shape always. If he loses a step, he'll still be faster than everyone else. Plus he's the best tackling corner in the league and fits our defense perfectly. We just need some guys that can cover in the slot and we got one in Brown.

SteelCrazy
04-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I think the Steelers are setup now to sign Ike. They drafted Gilbert in the second and he will likely play RT.

That means that Gilbert will be setup to be the RT of the future. Now what does that do? That means the Steelers won't spend all the money on Colon. And Adams won't play beyond 2011.

With the money freed up longer term, Ike is now obtainable.

The Steelers had a decision to make. Sign Colon and let Ike walk or sign Ike and let Colon walk. They definitely couldn't sign both especially with players like Timmons, Woodley, etc getting ready for new contracts.

I think the Gilbert pick is writing on the wall. Steelers are going with Ike.

I think you figured out the Steelers front office......Makes sense to me and I hope it is dead on. You know this is a copycat league. so you may be getting a few calls to be a GM but you'd have to move to Detroit or San Fran.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Don't pencil in Gilbert at RT just yet. He has some skill to be our RG. Koogs liked how he moved in positional drill and Gilbert has G experience at Florida. He is capable of pulling and hitting targets in space as well as getting to the LBs. He's not a soft 330 pounds like Foster.

If Burton or Cannon are still on the clock at their 4th, things could get pretty good quick. If it is Cannon, theres your RT and Gilbert plays G. Colon walks and use his money somewhere else. If it is Burton, the CB situation could look pretty good if Ike is retained.

NJ-STEELER
04-30-2011, 05:23 PM

"I'm hearing good things today about the chances of re-signing Ike. That's all I've got for you. Sorry to leave it short."

good to hear

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2011, 02:51 PM

If Wex is sorry about leaving it short, he should choose a social media that does not limit his correspondence to 140 characters. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

Sunday, May 01, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Relax.

So the Steelers didn't get the cornerback they needed in the three-day NFL draft? They are going to re-sign Ike Taylor.

They had better re-sign Ike Taylor.

The Steelers know that. That's why they didn't reach to take a corner with the No. 31 pick Thursday night in the first round. They could have taken Virginia's Raz-I Dowling, who went to the New England Patriots at No. 33, or Texas' Aaron Williams, who went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 34, but they didn't have either valued as a first-rounder. They made the right call taking Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward, who should help them for years.

The Steelers knew they have Taylor to fall back on.

They also didn't take a cornerback Friday night in the second round, although we'll never know if they would have picked Miami's Brandon Harris, who went to the Houston Texans three picks before their selection. Florida offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert was their choice. It never hurts to collect big, talented offensive tackles.

Again, Taylor is there to be re-signed.

The Steelers did get corners in the third and fourth rounds -- Curtis Brown of Texas and Cortez Allen of The Citadel -- but it's hardly reasonable to expect them to step in next season and be more than special teams contributors. They went as late as they did in the draft for a reason. There's much greater chance each will be a Keenan Lewis -- a bust so far after being the Steelers' No. 3 pick in 2009 -- than, say, an Ike Taylor.

There's that name again.

Some have speculated Taylor's price has gone way up for the Steelers because of the way their draft unfolded. Certainly, they need him now more than ever. It's hard to imagine them going into next season with Bryant McFadden and William Gay as their only veteran cornerbacks. It's not as if there's one out there in free agency whom they can afford or who fits into their defensive scheme, which requires a corner to tackle on run support as well as cover. You can forget about them signing Oakland Raiders free agent Nnamdi Asomugha to a huge deal. It's not their way to sell out for any free agent.

Taylor would be a fool not to use any leverage he has to his financial advantage. NFL careers are so short. A player has to make his money while he can. Taylor made it clear at the Super Bowl that, as much as he loves playing for the Steelers, giving them a home-team discount isn't necessarily a given. "You only get one shot at this kind of money. It's like hitting the lotto."

But Taylor might not have quite as much leverage as he and his agent think. The Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens took cornerbacks in the first round -- LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith, respectively. The Patriots got Dowling, the Bills Williams. The Texans traded up to get Harris. That's six fewer teams to bid on Taylor. The delay of free agency until after the draft because of the NFL lockout hurts him and all other veterans in his situation.

Of course, it only takes one other club to blow away the Steelers with an offer for Taylor. If that team steps up, the Steelers will let him go. They do not overpay for any player. You can't overpay. That's a rotten way to do business.

The guess here is Taylor will not get that outrageous offer. He has played eight NFL seasons without making a Pro Bowl, mainly because he can't catch the football. It's fair to think his value is greater to the Steelers than to another club because he knows their defense so well.

"I always get the other team's best receiver," Taylor said at the Super Bowl. "I'm used to it. Look at my tape. Look at anyone else's tape. I'm just as good if not better than anyone you pick."

As for all of those dropped interceptions?

"How do you define a shutdown corner?" Taylor asked. "Isn't it keeping the guy from catching the football? I think I do that as well as anyone."

The Steelers know what Taylor can do. They also have a pretty good idea what it will cost to do a new deal with him. They had preliminary discussions with him and his representative before the lockout put an end to such talks. They are not afraid of the number they will have to put on a contract for him. The feeling among people in the organization is they will get a deal done.

They had better be right.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121/11 ... z1L7hATU6f (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121/1143306-87-0.stm#ixzz1L7hATU6f)

steelblood
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Ike's got a special bond with Rooney. There's no way I see him leaving. All this talk about him leaving is just his agent trying to get his client the best contract possible.

And I don't care about Ike's age. He's in perfect shape always. If he loses a step, he'll still be faster than everyone else. Plus he's the best tackling corner in the league and fits our defense perfectly. We just need some guys that can cover in the slot and we got one in Brown.

Ike is a big physical corner. If he loses a step, he can still be a very good #2 corner later in the final year or so of his contract.

aggiebones
05-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I never understood the complaints about him. Yes, it would be nice if he could catch. But he is top end on the rest of the skillset for a CB. None are perfect. He does a pretty good job of preventing the other team from moving the ball. He's a very valuable member of our team.

Oviedo
05-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I never understood the complaints about him. Yes, it would be nice if he could catch. But he is top end on the rest of the skillset for a CB. None are perfect. He does a pretty good job of preventing the other team from moving the ball. He's a very valuable member of our team.

:Agree If he could catch he would be a WR. That is why most DBs are on that side of the ball.

grotonsteel
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
In my book Ike Taylor is a good CB who gets tremendous help because of the pass rushers Steelers have. I would give him a contract of 4yrs- 28-30 million dollars. If he signs fine else i would go after CB like Carlos Rodgers or Jonathan Joseph from Bengals once CBA is signed. I think they are equally good or better than Ike.

Oviedo
05-02-2011, 11:35 AM
In my book Ike Taylor is a good CB who gets tremendous help because of the pass rushers Steelers have. I would give him a contract of 4yrs- 28-30 million dollars. If he signs fine else i would go after CB like Carlos Rodgers or Jonathan Joseph from Bengals once CBA is signed. I think they are equally good or better than Ike.

Both Rodgers and Joseph would want much more than the number you identified.

Also, don't forget the defense has been made so complicated that new players can't learn it and contribute early so anyone you bring in probably wouldn't be as good as Ike.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Why is it that Ike is only average or slightly above, and looks good because of the pass rush, yet every other corner on the team looks no where near as good as Ike behind the same defense?

Perhaps some should just give Ike the credit he is due. He is a VERY good corner.

feltdizz
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Why is it that Ike is only average or slightly above, and looks good because of the pass rush, yet every other corner on the team looks no where near as good as Ike behind the same defense?

Perhaps some should just give Ike the credit he is due. He is a VERY good corner.

Probably because the other corners are below average.... Ike is a good cover corner but is he a $10 mill CB at 31? I don't think so...

Who was the last good cover corner before Ike?

I think CB's and OL's are treated similarly by our scouts...

D Rock
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Probably because the other corners are below average.... Ike is a good cover corner but is he a $10 mill CB at 31? I don't think so...

and how long was everyone complaining about the coverage before Ike came along?

I'd rather pay 12.5 mil to have Ike on one side and McFadden on the other and reach the Super Bowl than pay 5 mil to have McFadden and Gay out the outsides and go 7-9 because we lose 3 or 4 shootouts next year.

A healthy Troy can mostly cover up for McFadden. He can't cover up for McFadden and Gay together though.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM

A mustachioed fellow who wore Deshea Townsend's number (prior to Deshea getting here).

Dresden
05-02-2011, 05:14 PM
We should resign Ike and start Brown opposite of him. If we do this as well as cut Gay, swing Macfadden to nickle and start Mundy or Butler at F/S, we just might be working with something in terms of having a secondary that would be competitive against the better offensive passing units of the league.

Not to say that Mundy is exceptionally talented or that Butler would be an all pro at free. But Clark, though a good guy and an intelligent cagey vet, is simply awful in coverage against quality passing attacks. Either one of these kids would be an upgrade IMO.

insanesteelersfan
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
This is what I would try to do If I were the Steelers. Take the extra money you will save from not re-signing Willie Colon, and either re-work Flozell Adams 5 million down, or release him and just start Gilbert on the right side. Take that money, and once free agent can start signing, don't waste the HUGE amounts of loot on guys like Nnamdi...but rather, amke a play for THIS Ex-Fresno State Bull dog :Clap

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/ric ... 90c8b58f1/ (http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/richard-marshall/676bc93f-9b4e-4dd3-867c-25e90c8b58f1/)

This guy won't get the huge money that several other free agents will get. But yet he is VASTLY underrated, and way better then Mcfadden.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Because the other guys always get the assignment of covering the other team's best guy........

Oops, nevermind. :oops:

feltdizz
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
[quote="D Rock":1dma5g1n]Why is it that Ike is only average or slightly above, and looks good because of the pass rush, yet every other corner on the team looks no where near as good as Ike behind the same defense?

I'd rather pay 12.5 mil to have Ike on one side and McFadden on the other and reach the Super Bowl than pay 5 mil to have McFadden and Gay out the outsides and go 7-9 because we lose 3 or 4 shootouts next year.

A healthy Troy can mostly cover up for McFadden. He can't cover up for McFadden and Gay together though.[/quote:1dma5g1n]

We aren't reaching SB's because of Ike. It's all about the pressure up front. I would never pay 12.5 for a 30+ zone CB who can't catch. That's insane.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
[quote="D Rock":asxyu0b2]Why is it that Ike is only average or slightly above, and looks good because of the pass rush, yet every other corner on the team looks no where near as good as Ike behind the same defense?

A healthy Troy can mostly cover up for McFadden. He can't cover up for McFadden and Gay together though.

We aren't reaching SB's because of Ike. It's all about the pressure up front. I would never pay 12.5 for a 30+ zone CB who can't catch. That's insane.[/quote:asxyu0b2]

I meant 12.5 combined for Ike and McFadden...although I don't even know what Faddy makes, I just threw out numbers because at the prices I listed for those two combos, I'm taking Ike and Faddy over Gay and Faddy and getting torn up week in and week out.

flippy
05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I'd rather spend money on 4 linemen that can generate a pass rush on their own without blitzing on 3rd down.

Ike and Bmac are both good, not great corners. But they fit our system. They have decent size and can tackle. We need some better coverage in the slot. And we don't need Farrior chasing TEs and RBs on 3rd downs.

If Ike wants to be unreasonable during negotiations, I'm sure the Steelers can put together a highlight reel of Ike looking totally lost trying to play the ball in the air. He has his weaknesses.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd rather spend money on 4 linemen that can generate a pass rush on their own without blitzing on 3rd down.

Ike and Bmac are both good, not great corners. But they fit our system. They have decent size and can tackle. We need some better coverage in the slot. And we don't need Farrior chasing TEs and RBs on 3rd downs.

If Ike wants to be unreasonable during negotiations, I'm sure the Steelers can put together a highlight reel of Ike looking totally lost trying to play the ball in the air. He has his weaknesses.

The two can't possibly be compared and grouped into the same category.

Compare Ike to another player in the league? Sure. Bring that player in and let Ike walk? Sure.

But compare Ike to any other corner on the Steelers roster and let Ike walk to promote that player?

Now that's just silly. And if that does happen...then it also promotes everyone else behind that player. That means that in the Super Bowl, the Steelers would have been playing with McFadden, Gay, and Madison covering Jennings, Nelson, and Driver. The steelers win that matchup once every 100 games.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-02-2011, 10:41 PM

D rock-

I noticed you had Cortez Allen in your mock. What was it that you liked about him? I've never seen him play.

D Rock
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM

D rock-

I noticed you had Cortez Allen in your mock. What was it that you liked about him? I've never seen him play.

I haven't really either. He was hard to find video of on youtube. I liked his athletic ability from reports though and that he went to the Citadel and had that military sort of discipline. I think character and work ethic is underrated in the league. Combine that with raw athletic ability, and select it in a late round and I'd love to see what the coaches can do with Allen.

flippy
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM

The two can't possibly be compared and grouped into the same category.

Compare Ike to another player in the league? Sure. Bring that player in and let Ike walk? Sure.

But compare Ike to any other corner on the Steelers roster and let Ike walk to promote that player?

Now that's just silly. And if that does happen...then it also promotes everyone else behind that player. That means that in the Super Bowl, the Steelers would have been playing with McFadden, Gay, and Madison covering Jennings, Nelson, and Driver. The steelers win that matchup once every 100 games.

BMac isn't as bad as people make him out to be. When he's healthy he's played decent for us. He gives up catches, but he makes tackles and doesn't give up big plays for the most part.

I don't think Gay is as bad as people think either. He has his ups and downs, but he has flashes where he makes big plays. We just need more consistency out of him and he can be a good corner in the nickle or dime. He frustrates me cause he's talented. He comes up with huge plays every now and again. But then he equals it with his bonehead plays and that's frustrating.

Chadman
05-03-2011, 01:07 AM
It won't happen so long as Clark is here- but what about Gay playing FS? He needs the ball in front of him, can tackle & is probably better in 1-on-1 coverage than Clark...

McFadden, as Flippy pointed out, is unfairly critisised for last season where he was doing a fine job until he injured his hip- from that point on he struggled. Add to this- his entire body of work for the Steelers before this was sound to good.

Brown will compete with Gay for the nickle job & is possibly ahead already if Carnell Lake's take on things is correct. He really is a better coverage guy, so he should upgrade the nickle.

Ike is good- no doubt about it. But it comes down to price vs production. Is Ike the best CB on the roster- yes. Is he in the top echelon of CB's in the NFL? Perhaps...should he get top CB money? Not sure...

Would you get better value from an Eric Wright-type CB at half the cost? Quite possibly.

flippy
05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
It won't happen so long as Clark is here- but what about Gay playing FS? He needs the ball in front of him, can tackle & is probably better in 1-on-1 coverage than Clark...

McFadden, as Flippy pointed out, is unfairly critisised for last season where he was doing a fine job until he injured his hip- from that point on he struggled. Add to this- his entire body of work for the Steelers before this was sound to good.

Brown will compete with Gay for the nickle job & is possibly ahead already if Carnell Lake's take on things is correct. He really is a better coverage guy, so he should upgrade the nickle.

Ike is good- no doubt about it. But it comes down to price vs production. Is Ike the best CB on the roster- yes. Is he in the top echelon of CB's in the NFL? Perhaps...should he get top CB money? Not sure...

Would you get better value from an Eric Wright-type CB at half the cost? Quite possibly.

I'd like to see what Gay could do @ FS. He's a smart kid that has a knack for making big plays. Sometimes his man to man coverage is the problem. And he'd be freed up from as much one on one coverage which could play to his strengths.

Although I'd worry about him as the last line of defense since he's not the best tackler.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2011, 04:03 PM

I'd like to see what Gay could do @ FS. He's a smart kid that has a knack for making big plays. Sometimes his man to man coverage is the problem. And he'd be freed up from as much one on one coverage which could play to his strengths.

Although I'd worry about him as the last line of defense since he's not the best tackler.

What could possibly give you that idea? :wink:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d813aff42_gallery_600.jpg

Chadman
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
He wouldn't be the only guy to get run over by AP...